Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croagh Patrick Heritage Way

Options
  • 15-01-2012 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi,

thinking of doing two days of the Croagh Patrick way at the end of feb and finishing by climbing croagh patrick. I was think of walking fromon places to stay in Ballintubber to Aghagower on day one, Aghagower to Murrisk on day two and climbing Croagh Patrick on day 3.

I'm having difficulty organising the logistics. I have a car and live in Dublin but i can't find a way of getting from Murrisk to Ballintubber to get back to the car. Anyone know the best way to do this.

Also any suggestions on places to stay in Aghagower and Murrisk,

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Murrisk is a stone's throw from Westport. Accommodation a plenty there. Never stayed out Murrisk way I'm afraid but there are B&Bs along the road there and out towards Lecanvey and Louisburg.

I daresay any local taxi firm would be happy to drop you over to Ballintubber? Or line up a pal to do it with you and share the car pooling at each end.

Is the full trail open to be walked at any stage? I half remember reading a few years back that it was only walkable end to end at certain stages on account of it passing across private land etc. I hope I'm wrong. Its something I'd like to do some day myself.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭acorn

It's on my "to do " list.

Don't know about accommodation but lots of general info on the website

www.ballintubberabbey.ie

also check out The Boheh Stone which is en route

http://www.mythicalireland.com/ancientsites/news/croagh-patrick-rolling-sun.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Basicilly

Cheers for the help:)

Anyone have a number for a local taxi driver or now how much it would cost to go from Murrisk to Ballintubber?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I have a query about a different walking trail, albeit one that's not too far from Croagh Patrick.
    I'm thinking about doing part of the Mayo Western Way - just the Westport to Ballycastle stretch - in March.
    The website Irish Trails recommends allowing 3 days for the full route (Leenane to Ballycastle) but if I'm leaving out the first part, would I be safe enough allowing just 2 full days?
    Also, are there any decent B&Bs halfway between Westport and Ballycastle? I'm guessing Crossmolina is just a bit *too* out of the way. . . or is it?

Advertisement