Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP PLEASE

• 15-01-2012 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I got an english question for homework on an argumenative extract. The question says DESCRIBE THE TONE AND LANGUAGE USED BY THE WRITTER IN THE EXTRACT. What do I write about? What is the tone and language?

Help please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

ted102 wrote: »
    I got an english question for homework on an argumenative extract. The question says DESCRIBE THE TONE AND LANGUAGE USED BY THE WRITTER IN THE EXTRACT. What do I write about? What is the tone and language?

Help please

I'm not sure if this is a joke question or if it's true but I thought I'd answer it to be helpful.

Tone is how the author/poet speaks to you in this extract. It can be a depressing, melancholy tone to a gleeful, happy tone.

Language is the words used. Is it in slang? Are colloquial terms used? Metaphors..Bla bla bla..All that jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Aragneer wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is a joke question or if it's true but I thought I'd answer it to be helpful.

I'm not the OP, but I wouldn't know how to answer either. Our teacher assumes we know how to answer these questions from the junior cert. I'm obviously going to do well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm not the OP, but I wouldn't know how to answer either. Our teacher assumes we know how to answer these questions from the junior cert. I'm obviously going to do well

You need to get your teacher to do a class on keywords for the exam.

From the Junior Cert. syllabus:
    Knowledge of fundamental literary concepts and forms: hero, heroine, villain, character, point-of-view, contrast, tension, shape, climax, mood, tone, atmosphere, theme, imagery, rhythm, texture, lyric, story/narrative, drama, theatre, satire, comedy, tragedy, pathos, romance, realism and melodrama.

For Leaving Cert. it would be taken as a given that you understand and can give examples of any or all of the above in any of the texts you have studied.

Advertisement