Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suicides in Waterford

Options
  • 15-01-2012 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Just heard of a young lad taking his own life this weekend.
    It is such a tragedy..

Does anybody know what the suicide rate is in town because all we talk about are attacks or accidents but so many men take their own lives and it is rarely if ever reported.

I heard the yearly rate for the country is over 500!!!

What places are there for men to talk to here? For all we know somebody could be reading this forum who might take their own life but having the info available if it saves even one life is a success.

I know there maybe forums somewhere to deal with that but it has to bebrought down to a local level I think.

Maybe a thread for anyone who is feeling low or stressed might help coz most of us are unknown to each other and men dont talk to people esp people they are close too so this might help.

Just a thought is all....:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Poor kid was just 17....that's two 17 year olds in two weeks - just awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 paddy145

National Office for Suicide Prevention Annual Report 2009 has some stats, a quick look shows it dosent give a breakdown by region but shows 527 people took their own lives in 2009. Also give a breakdown of age, sex, method etc. Might be of some interest or give some insight.

http://www.nosp.ie/annual_report_09_2.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Thats the reported number ie cause of death has been ruled as suicide at inquest. It may be higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

There a lot of suicide every week and a lot of them are by teenagers, its just we never hear about them so people think it doesnt happen that often when the reality is the complete opposite. Its bad alright and there needs to be more done to prevent it, if there even is any more that can be done.

Yes Ireland yearly suicide rate is about 500 people or over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i know first hand the aftermath a suicide can do to family and friends left behind when the person takes there life needlessly as my cousin took his life five years ago by jumping off the cliff in tramore and i sympathise with his poor family its gonna be tough but they,ll get through it, why don,t people talk it can take a lot of unneeded pressure from there chest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Like ex_infantry man I have experienced the aftermath too with a good friend a couple of years ago and just before Christmas a young lad I was friends with in school up in Dungarvan committed suicide.

I don't understand why it's swept under the rug when it happens. I think if the devastation that ensues was widely shown and highlighted then rates might fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭eiresandra

There's a long-running debate over whether the media should report on it the same way they do on road deaths. Some of the experts advise against it for fear of copycat suicides. Others think it does need to be highlighted.

I was told last week that the unofficial figure for 2011 was around the 800 mark which is phenomenal. It also doesn't take into account single-vehicle car crashes which are often believed to be suicide.

So sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Popquiz_hotshot

I have seen what it causes too..you seethe car crash advets with the familes grieving about the loss and maybe that has saved lives..it wudnt be hard to do an advert like that for suicide esp when double the people died last yr nearly compared to car crashes!!

The river here has seen its fair share at this stage..
    IT MUST STOP!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I know about 8 who done it in the last few years.
    best mate done it year and a half ago. Tis horrible hearing the news. I was bad with depression and have gone a lot downhill since his death but luckily I'm getting a bit better. Slowly but surely. Ill get there eventually. Been so low to have them thoughts is a horrible horrible feeling and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Popquiz_hotshot

seanybiker wrote: »
    I know about 8 who done it in the last few years.
    best mate done it year and a half ago. Tis horrible hearing the news. I was bad with depression and have gone a lot downhill since his death but luckily I'm getting a bit better. Slowly but surely. Ill get there eventually. Been so low to have them thoughts is a horrible horrible feeling and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone.

Im glad to hear you are pulling yourself through but even reading your post most men wudnt even say that and thats why we need to use say boards for example for people to even set up a profile and talk to us on it because it will help esp for people who dont want to speak but wud rather use text.
    Again sorry to hear about your best mate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I have seen what it causes too..you seethe car crash advets with the familes grieving about the loss and maybe that has saved lives..it wudnt be hard to do an advert like that for suicide esp when double the people died last yr nearly compared to car crashes!!

The river here has seen its fair share at this stage..
    IT MUST STOP!!!

Suicides tend to happen in clusters, so its important not to put ideas into peoples head. That's why there car crash style adverts are not appropriate.

Here is contact information for the Waterford Samaritans.

16 Beau Street, Waterford, Republic of Ireland

Phone: (051) 872114
    Facilities for visitors with disabilities: Wheelchair accessible. Adapted toilet.
    Usual hours open to receive callers at the door: 9am - 10pm

They can also be emailed.
    jo@samaritans.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

Is it the pressure of exams?
    Pressure from parents to succeed?

Jesus guys, there's more to life than exams!

Im glad to hear you are pulling yourself through but even reading your post most men wudnt even say that and thats why we need to use say boards for example for people to even set up a profile and talk to us on it because it will help esp for people who dont want to speak but wud rather use text.
    Again sorry to hear about your best mate.

That's the thing yeah. Not many fellas want to admit it. Sure I have no problems at all telling people. Anytime I are sillymcarthy I probably be wrecking his bulb telling him how I'm getting on with the panic attacks etc. He.never tells me to shut up so I presume he doesn't mind.

Them that care don't matter and them that matter don't care. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

Tonight I read about a 14 year old girl who's in hospital after trying to take her own life, it was only by chance that the girl was found in time. This was in another part of the country.

She's been bullied for the last year by a gang of girls in and outside of school and her parents have a path worn to the school trying to get it dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

That's the thing yeah. Not many fellas want to admit it. Sure I have no problems at all telling people. Anytime I are sillymcarthy I probably be wrecking his bulb telling him how I'm getting on with the panic attacks etc. He.never tells me to shut up so I presume he doesn't mind.

Seany if you don't mind me asking, what sets off your panic attacks?

I used to get them as well. Tried relaxation tapes and I've managed to control them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

ya can always send me a message if sillymacarthy aint on i,d have no problems talkin to ya boy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

deisemum wrote: »
    Tonight I read about a 14 year old girl who's in hospital after trying to take her own life, it was only by chance that the girl was found in time. This was in another part of the country.

She's been bullied for the last year by a gang of girls in and outside of school and her parents have a path worn to the school trying to get it dealt with.

It's this kind of shit that drives me insane. How bullying still isn't dealt with effectively, I don't know.

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Seany if you don't mind me asking, what sets off your panic attacks?

I used to get them as well. Tried relaxation tapes and I've managed to control them.
    long story bud. Going on for years. Basically the last few years it ended up being agoraphobia. Leaving the house. Sometimes I can walk up by nkays parents house, other times I might make it upto top of hillview then majority of the time I don't leave the house. I'd love to be able to explain why I'm like this but I have no idea meself. Tried hypnosis, massages, reiki, tablets, councillors, phsychiatrists, even fecking faith healers over the years. Some work for a while a little bit. The occupational therapist that calls upto me once a week is doing good with me the last couple of months. Jaysus its slowly getting better but as long as I'm not getting worse is all that matters to me. Over the years I've tried a few illegal ways of dealing with it. Don't work at all. Only made me worse after the comedown if ya know what I mean.
    Ye all probably thought I was this happy go lucky fella, tis all a front the majority of the time but hey, there's always one and it ended up being me lol.

@ex. Cheers for offer bud.

Now ill probably finish me cans and hopefully sleep a few hours and then have to go through it all again tomorrow :( feck it though. Someone has to do it.

Quick edit.

Did I attempt it before : hell yeah.
    Will I attempt it again. To be honest I don't know. Nobody does.
    Do I regret attempting it in the past: feck yeah I do. Im sickened I didn't succeed.

Anyways lads if ya wanna ask me questions just add me on faceache or pm me on here. I don't wanna be messing up the thread and going off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Great thread here Seany. Lots of useful info
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056481009

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Was talking to someone over the weekend who has a family member in ambulance service and apparently there were 10 suicides in County Waterford over Christmas period.

That is serious sh*t!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Up to you Seany, but I don't see any issue with you talking about it on here. Its better to talk about it than keep it shut up inside, so fire away if you feel comfortable and wish to. :)

Sully wrote: »
    Up to you Seany, but I don't see any issue with you talking about it on here. Its better to talk about it than keep it shut up inside, so fire away if you feel comfortable and wish to. :)
    Ah tis grand bud. I just don't want a serious thread like this to be all about me.
    scout353 wrote: »
    Was talking to someone over the weekend who has a family member in ambulance service and apparently there were 10 suicides in County Waterford over Christmas period.

That is serious sh*t!
    10!! Feck that. That's alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Three each day in Ireland this year according to yesterday's Sindo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is a panic attack?

dayshah wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is a panic attack?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_attack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

i remember being at my sisters house one night and my sister called me in a panic saying my younger brother had locked himself in his room with a knife and was threatening to start cutting himself i had to go and kick in the door and see what the hell was going on and he said he just felt really low and didnt know why, luckily he didnt do anything, no one knew he was feeling low as at the time he was young (15/16) and he never seemed as if something was up with him, to some it was a silly reason he was feeling like that but to him it felt so serious needless to say we all pulled him through the ill feelings he had and thank god now he is fine and now realises that yeah things can be sorted no matter what......its very sad how people can become trapped within their own minds there should be more of an emphasis on helping people who feel depressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

hey seanbiker im only down the road in hazelbourne your more then welcome to call down anytime for a cuppa just dont bring them computer games I only play Super Mario

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I think Beat fm is one of the culprits in promoting suicide among young listeners!

The song below gets played everyday by some of the Djs.

I'm surprised nobody has highlighted this already because everyone remembers the time when Sean Kingston's song beautiful girls caused a stir over its lyrics.

tankbarry wrote: »
    hey seanbiker im only down the road in hazelbourne your more then welcome to call down anytime for a cuppa just dont bring them computer games I only play Super Mario
    Cheers boy. I'm a nosy fecker and wanna see do I know anymore of the people on here so don't be surprised if I turn up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I'm living with someone who suffers from panic attacks and believe me it's hell for both of us though I'm not complaining. I feel your pain Seanbiker but there are good times and try to concentrate on them, easy said than done I know.

Read yesterday in the indo that 30 so far this year have done it and 5 alone on New Years Day... shocking statistic's and their only the ones we know about or rightly classified.:(

Discussion on it now on Frontline....

Advertisement