Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suicides in Waterford

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Life in general is pretty hard and cruel but as John Lennon said who know's there could be a bit of joy just waiting around the corner.Things like listening to Jethro Tull and watching the sunset over Cork are things that give me joy and remind me that life is worth living.Just focus on the things that bring happiness to you.:)

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Life in general is pretty hard and cruel but as John Lennon said who know's there could be a bit of joy just waiting around the corner.Things like listening to Jethro Tull and watching the sunset over Cork are things that give me joy and remind me that life is worth living.Just focus on the things that bring happiness to you.:)

Jethro Tull, jaysus I didnt hear anyone mention them in years.

Sunset over cork eh? red sky makes it look like the place is on fire? I can see how that works ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

eiresandra wrote: »
    There's a long-running debate over whether the media should report on it the same way they do on road deaths. Some of the experts advise against it for fear of copycat suicides. Others think it does need to be highlighted.

This is a very interesting point of view. Read a book last week by Dan Ariely (about behavioural economics) and there's a chapter related to this. For example, reports of tax evasion cause an increase in tax evasion as people mentally process the news as consistent with it being normal and almost accepted. The same goes for lots of similar ills and studies have shown that teenagers are more likely to become pregnant if their friends are and the same is the case with obesity. They managed to cut binge drinking significantly in one American university by reporting statistics on how few people drink. The whole behavioural view is that reporting on the frequency of certain activities makes them seem more acceptable and part of social norms. It's a tough one though as it goes against most people's nature to sweep it under the rug and pretend that it doesn't happen for the above reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 matty985

neemish wrote: »
    Thats the reported number ie cause of death has been ruled as suicide at inquest. It may be higher.

Thats not actually the case neemish, they compile suicide stats from the CSO's registry which doesnt base it's data on inquest results but on "the opinion of the investigating Garda", so although yes, many suicides may be officially recorded as accidental deaths or deaths by misadventure, often, they will be included as suicides because of the investigating Garda's opinon that this was the case, so you'd find that those stats would be more accurate than you might think

I'd be surprised if the Gardai called many as suicide unless they were absolutely sure. It'd take a brave Garda and a bit of guessing to call a fatal car crash with one driver suicide but some will be. The experts say that there is a very large under-reporting of the number of suicides. Can't quite remember the figures but at least 50% higher as far as I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

It's true, they discussed it on frontline for example if a body was found at the bottom of a cliff and that person after being examined was judged to be drunk then without a suicide note then it would always be described as "Death by mis-adventure" I can imagine things like that happening quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

seanybiker wrote: »
    Ye all probably thought I was this happy go lucky fella,

Na I always knew you were a cnut :D

Seriously though, Best of luck with your problems Seany, and fair play to you for coming on here and telling people your daily struggle.

Go back to the Doctor or change your Doctor, surely in this day and age there's a tablet that will sort your panic attacks and get you back on your feet...

Best of luck!

Funfair wrote: »

Seriously though, Best of luck with your problems Seany, and fair play to you for coming on here and telling people your daily struggle.

Go back to the Doctor or change your Doctor, surely in this day and age there's a tablet that will sort your panic attacks and get you back on your feet...

Best of luck!

Haha I am a cnut though.
    After trying some load of different tablets. May see if anything new on the market sure. No harm trying

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think Ray Darcy covered panic attacks on his show today, fairly sure he did. People were texting in saying they went through it themselves and how they helped address it. Some people said some doctors simply don't understand and are no help, so its important to get one that does understand.

Might be of use, sometimes they upload podcasts for this but you could email them and ask also!

Sully wrote: »
    I think Ray Darcy covered panic attacks on his show today, fairly sure he did. People were texting in saying they went through it themselves and how they helped address it. Some people said some doctors simply don't understand and are no help, so its important to get one that does understand.

Might be of use, sometimes they upload podcasts for this but you could email them and ask also!
    Sorry bout bringing back to be but in fairness how is the doctor going to understand when in my case anyways, I don't understand. Not being smart or anything.
    To be honest I do what the people say but sometimes I think, ya know what, you have a degree so ya read a few books and now your a expert, try go through it yourself and then tell me that " just push yourself" works.

Jesus sorry haha ill stop before I rant uncrontolably.

Ronemore Friday night for anyone who wants :)

• Advertisement

It's amazing how many people will say things like "just push yourself" alright. I know someone who suffered from depression, panic attacks, and the amount of people who would say "pull yourself together" is staggering.

WIT are fairly proactive in the whole area of mental health in fairness to them and have their Mental Health Campaign next week:

WIT Students' Union will run Positive Mental Health Campaign on Monday 23rd-26th of January. The purpose of the week is to encourage people to be conscious of their own mental health, to look after it, and dispel some of the misconceptions out there about mental health problems in Ireland.

To launch the week we have invited former Munster and Irish Rugby Star, Alan Quinlan to talk to the students and staff of WIT about Mental Health issues and his personal experiences. See Change will also be present to talk about the stigma attached to Mental Health and how, as a nation we need to move forward and remove this stigma.

Over the past number of weeks Mental Health has been on various agendas and a hugely talked about topic. It is very important that we as an Institute can talk about such topics and create awareness to the student and staff body at Waterford Institute of Technology .

I would be grateful if you could spread the word among students on campus and would encourage, for any those possible, to bring your class along to the Auditorium next Monday at 12 noon. The talk will commence at 12:15 and the duration of this talk will last one hour. This talk could be an inspiration to a lot of students and staff and encourage more people to talk about Mental Health issues.

http://www.seechange.ie/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3lsZ2dpuPc

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

seanybiker wrote: »
    Funfair wrote: »

Best of luck!

Haha I am a cnut though.
    After trying some load of different tablets. May see if anything new on the market sure. No harm trying

Acupuncture helped me a lot, just the one they do on your ears. And those little stress beads that you wear on the pressure point behind your ears worked too, the idea is to press on them when you feel 'an episode' (as I call it) coming on you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

letsbet wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if the Gardai called many as suicide unless they were absolutely sure. It'd take a brave Garda and a bit of guessing to call a fatal car crash with one driver suicide but some will be. The experts say that there is a very large under-reporting of the number of suicides. Can't quite remember the figures but at least 50% higher as far as I remember.

Bang on the button. The rate of suicide in this country has been woefully undereported for decades due to a variety of factors but the main one still is the stigma attached to suicide in particular the victim's family that is left behind to cope. Suicide was considered a mortal sin by the Catholic Church and the body was not permitted to be buried in holy ground but always outside it. This stigma still persists today in rural areas.

My Landlord who is from Cavan tells me of a huge jump in suicides over the last 12 months, all by young men who have been hit hard by the economic depression and have been struggling to pay mortgages and other loans etc. Many of them lost their jobs and are unable to cope so they take the suicide route. It is the same in Waterford. What he tells me is that the families often put pressure on the local Coroner or Gardaí to rule the death as 'Death by Misadventure' so as to remove the stigma. Lone car fatalities have tell tale signs as no skidmarks on the road preceeding to the crash site. Likewise incidents in which motorists inexplicably drive off piers and cliffs into the sea or river and drown.

Hushing up the problem which has been the traditional 'solution' will not make it go away. There needs to be a full and frank discussion on this subject. The Government could start by highlighting suicide awareness in our schools and workplaces and stop cutting back on mental health and counselling services. Each and everyone of us has an important role to play. Spot the signs and help to a relative or friend. Nobody is alone, help is out there. Just pick up the phone.

Advertisement