Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creches-must you pay all year round?

Options
  • 15-01-2012 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Im wondering if creches charge you all year round even if you are in the position to look after your kid for a month or two? Must you pay 12 months regardless?

Comments

Im wondering if creches charge you all year round even if you are in the position to look after your kid for a month or two? Must you pay 12 months regardless?

It depends on the crèche, I'd guess, so you'll have to ask. But the only crèches we ever dealt with expected payment all year round. Mind you, that was more than 10 years ago, so maybe things have changed since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I know that in the 'boom', that was 100% the case, you paid for the child's 'place' in the creche, as opposed to the time the child was there. I knew people paying 1,000e per month for a child that was possibly there 2 weeks out of every four.

I think things have changed since then however and I know creches that are now open to negotiation - I don't think you can get away with not paying for a random day that you can't get your child there (for example), but if you can tell them in advance that your child might only be there for 2 days a few weeks in advance, you can discuss the cost with them.

I have to say that I think Creches (private ones) were one of the many industries that completely took the p&ss in the boom years:mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Yes,if they are expected to hold on to the place for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Flashgordon197

I have heard varying reports. I teach so I want to avoid paying for July August-if I can. Seems in my area that is not possible . Just wondering what is like in the wider area as might go further afield if I thought this does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I think it depends on where the crèche is located. Crèches in Blanchsrdstown for example are still very busy and it would be difficult to get a place at the last minute. In that case I'd expect you'd have to pay to hold your place. Our crèche in Dublin 10 isn't very busy, although some rooms are full, so they might be open to negotiation.

A friend of mine had to pay a nonrefundable deposit with an expiry date to a crèche in South County Dublin for her son. She had to take him out because of allergies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement