Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is 40k a good salary in the East Midlands?

• 15-01-2012 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi There
    I am looking at jobs in my area of expertise in the UK and specifically East Midlands like Derby/Notts/Lincoln. I am on 45k here in Ireland (dublin) but the Government have managed to extract most of that off me in various different taxes and pension levies so the salary isnt as good as it sounds when I get my net salary every fortnight (and pay the mortgage).

I want to be realistic about jobs I am applying for and many that I know I am suitable for in this part of UK are in the 37-43k bracket. So my question to any of you that are experienced in this is: is 40k a good salary in the midlands of UK?

Cheers
    BW

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I would say it is depending on your field and experience level. Don't forget to factor in Council Tax!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Type 40K in hear > http://listentotaxman.com/ dont know all your circumstances but you would be taking back around the 29/30k Net.

As the prev poster said dont forget council tax. Depends on the local authority/parish area and the size of the house your in. Also water charges in place but these are pretty small depending on usage and area but not much more than 30 or 40 per month.

That wage will go a long way over here compared to how far it would stretch in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭afatbollix

The average wage in the UK is 23k! So you will allmost be on double that.

Im nearly on that living in London with expensive rent and I can have a very good life style.

A mate just moved up north and for the money he was paying for a room in London he got a 3 bed house! Rent is very cheap up north

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

It's a very good salary for the East Mids. unless you're a CEO or something. The cost of living is lower than it would be in the South in terms of rent and property prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 BreffniWeffni

thanks folks, thats helpful - I have factored in the water rates and council tax and still I think I would have more money to have a life when I take away pension levy and all the extra stealth taxes. I will let you know how I get on!

• Advertisement
Advertisement