Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tattoos and scars!?!

Options
  • 15-01-2012 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

I have been wondering about this for awhile but haven't actually got to ask a tattoo artist yet!
    Basically I have a scar from surgery on my thigh and had considered a tattoo there before hand but is it possible to tattoo over a scar or does it make it more noticeable?!
    Sorry if there's a thread on this already,
    And thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

It is possible to tattoo over scars but only an artist could tell what it might turn out like. Perhaps try using bio oil or vitamin e to try fade the scar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Had one covered recently no problemo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Talula_d wrote: »
    I have been wondering about this for awhile but haven't actually got to ask a tattoo artist yet!
    Basically I have a scar from surgery on my thigh and had considered a tattoo there before hand but is it possible to tattoo over a scar or does it make it more noticeable?!
    Sorry if there's a thread on this already,
    And thanks in advance!

I got a scar on my arm covered up and besides taking a little bit longer to heal there was no hassle, i'll fire a pic up in the morning for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Talula_d

I have tried bio oil but this scar seems more stubborn than any before probably because it was opened and stitched 3 times and the last time not very well so the scar I've been left with is worse than it should have been!
    I'd love if I could get it covered to find the time now to get see a tattoo artist and see can I get it covered!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

I've had scars covered with no issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭boodee

Hi,
    Depending on what your scar is like you could incorporate it into the tattoo. The thicker the scar tissue the harder it is to blend in, but i#m assumming it's healed enough to be past the red stage. In general they seem to be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

I've also had scar tissue tattooed with no issues. Some of the scar tissue is raised so the artist compensated for this in the design.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Talula_d

thanks for all the replies folks!
    Heading in to the tattoo artist tomorrow and already have so many ideas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭boodee

cool, let us know what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 nala89

I was hoping to get a half sleeve done in my right arm but have a burn scar from when I was a kid.. I was hoping an artist could help incorporate the scar with some design to blend with sleeve I have in mind.. Anyone have any parlours or artist's around Dublin/Kildare/west Wicklow area that have experience with this kind of work..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Does anyone have any experience with getting script tattoo'd over scars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 brooksamanda89

I think tattoo over a scar would cover it up, and I just hope it won’t have any side-effects on your skin as it would be on that scar.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 madwidow

I've had mine done, same case with multiple re-stitching. My concern was about the ink bleeding, but more aged it is, less chance of it happening, just the areas where ink is on the scar tissue are a bit shiny but the end result, it takes the eyes away from it :)

Advertisement