Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bespoke spiral stairs

Options
  • 15-01-2012 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I have been looking at spiral stair kits for my house but I like the idea of having an oak one built. Anyone know how much I can expect to pay for 1400mm diameter fairly plain spiral with 10 steps? I'm waiting to hear back from a carpenter about this but would like to hear from anyone who knows from experience about the rough cost of this job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

lafemme wrote: »
    I have been looking at spiral stair kits for my house but I like the idea of having an oak one built. Anyone know how much I can expect to pay for 1400mm diameter fairly plain spiral with 10 steps? I'm waiting to hear back from a carpenter about this but would like to hear from anyone who knows from experience about the rough cost of this job.

Galwayrush who posts on here is these to ask about! He knows his stuff about as its his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

You could buy the components from Dunnes Workshop in Rahugh near Kilbeggan and have a good carpenter fit it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Around €800 - €1000 per step for a bespoke spiral staircase.
    This could vary considerably with the amount of ironwork necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Depending on the detail, a basic oak spiral with an oak curved outer string, full curved shaped oak handrail and built around a central steel hidden in wood spine would start at about 5500 .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

My mate has been making bespoke spiral staircases for 20 years.
    Theres alot of complexities in the geometry , and alot of regulations involved in risers head clearance dimensions etc. Id be careful .

He is based in Waterford but I know he works all over the country , and
    is willing to go and measure and price all jobs.
    Trust me even a conversation when he is onsite to price , you will learn alot about the timbers and techniques of spiral staircases.

I have a regular stairs he made he made 6 months ago in French 'character' oak, the timber is beautiful and I imagine if it was a spiral then it would look very impressive.

I will PM you his telephone number (mods : I hope this is ok )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Something different , our first venture using granite and steel.

SDC10001.jpg
    SDC10007.jpg
    SDC10003.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Very nice work! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 lafemme

Thanks everyone for all your replies. I've found someone to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 lafemme

Lovely stairs, Galwayrush.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

My mate has been making bespoke spiral staircases for 20 years.
    Theres alot of complexities in the geometry , and alot of regulations involved in risers head clearance dimensions etc. Id be careful .

He is based in Waterford but I know he works all over the country , and
    is willing to go and measure and price all jobs.
    Trust me even a conversation when he is onsite to price , you will learn alot about the timbers and techniques of spiral staircases.
    How does he get around the Part B and the Part M regs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

How does he get around the Part B and the Part M regs?

I dont know hte particulars of these regs specifically, but
    I dont believe he gets around any of the regs, he builds them by the book and to meet all fire and safety standards.

Advertisement