Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breeding Male Tibetan Spaniel

• 15-01-2012 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, I have a thoroughbred Male Tibetan Spaniel and I am wondering if he is too old to breed. I was hoping before I start routing all of his papers out if someone could give me a rough idea for a maximum breeding age. My aim is to get a pup from him. <MOD SNIP>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Pedigree/health of the bitch has to be important if you are looking for a pb or healthy pup don't forget that the bitch might have way more than one pup.

The age limit on males breeding depends on the dogs health and according to the IKC males over 12 years of age shouldn't be mated.
    http://ikc.ie/index.php?id=43&Itemid=60

Do rethink breeding him, if you really want to go ahead then go through it the proper way by researching other breeders and ensuring that any other pups will be looked after. There are plenty of pups in rescues looking for homes I can understand why you would want a pup from your dog but really you have to think is it a good enough reason to breed him when the result could be lots of puppies where you might get landed with more than one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ok for starters, how old is your dog?

Also, what health tests have you done on your dog, as all of this must be done ebfore even considering breeding from him. How do you know hes good enough to breed from, if hes a good example of the breed with no major faults which would deem him not to be bred from?

The thing is too, you are the owner of the male, and its usually the owner of the bitches that come to the male, and unless theres a fantastic reason why your dog should be used at stud, then you wont have people looking to use your dog.

Put it this way, i own and show Rottweilers, currently my male is Top Rottweiler in Ireland for 2011 and hes had a grand total of 2 matings, hes an irish champion, multi winner etc etc and there arent that many enquiries to use him, as there just isnt a market there for pedigree dogs anymore.

You say pedigree of the bitch isnt important, but it absolutely must be an important, ist the first thing you look at, so you arent mating a close relative of your dog to the bitch.

I really think you need to reconsider this or do a hell of a lot more research on it as you have obviously done none at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Could you enquire with his breeder about getting a pup from similar bloodlines to your dog rather than breeding a whole litter just to get a new dog who is related to your guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I'll leave this thread open so that others can give you advice on breeding etc. but please note you cannot advertise stud / looking to mate on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 R4de0n

thank you for your advice re my tib spaniel breeding iwill have a think about what you said thanks again for the info

• Advertisement
Advertisement