Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What makes you shoot?

• 15-01-2012 11:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭

I wondered, a few days ago, what it is that drew me to photography in the first place, and what holds me to it. I've come to realize that I wasn't drawn to photography by the awe inspiring beauty of the shots you see in places like National Geographic - like anyone I greedily admire these scenes. But rather, the less obvious pictures were the ones that really grabbed my attention - simple scenes like a little known Amazonian tribe going through daily rituals, or a shot of a dye covered man in a bazaar in India. These things captured my imagination, and when I started shooting myself, I relished in the feeling of taking a picture of an everyday thing, that somehow looks beautiful. In short, what draws me to take pictures is the fact that with a camera in my hand, even the most mundane things become beautiful.

So what is it that draws you to this all consuming hobby? What drags you out of bed at 5am on a freezing cold misty morning to catch that magical dawn shot?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Few things really:

The pursuit of what I deem to be the perfect image....

Capturing a moment of history to reflect on in years to come...

A personal challenge...

Escapism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

kfish2oo2 wrote: »
    I wondered, a few days ago, what it is that drew me to photography in the first place,.... simple scenes like a little known Amazonian tribe going through daily rituals, or a shot of a dye covered man in a bazaar in India.

Or just maybe, simple scenes far closer to home in the midlands or islands or other non descript places that illicit magical moments etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭kfish2oo2

EyeBlinks wrote: »
    Or just maybe, simple scenes far closer to home in the midlands or islands or other non descript places that illicit magical moments etc.

I had a photo blog with those images on it open in the background - didn't even notice I'd written about them till after I posted :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

money !!!

(and I enjoy doing my job - the occasional bit of satisfaction knowing I'm the only person who has the pic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

ahh come on you know when things are right conditions are all time...

Lighting is beautiful the clouds look good then its fitting them all together in a nice composition...

how ever gut instinct blows all of them away :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

The hope of capturing the perfect shot where it all comes together like magic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Getting the "shot"...

Ive been taking photos around 5 years and i've only felt this about 4 or 5 times.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Trying to capture a moment that time will forget. Doesn't matter if the image is perfect or not, it's the moment that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

smash wrote: »
    Trying to capture a moment that time will forget. Doesn't matter if the image is perfect or not, it's the moment that matters.

this for me too. i love good memories to get me through bad times and love to use photos to visit those. it's hard to explain... i probably take too many pics, but i just do it. i don't think about it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

To make money and be my own boss. Also, I can be creative as well. I certainly wouldn't be getting up at 5 am for a magical dawn shot but that's another argument

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Jesus ye all have very high aspirations for taking photos

I do it cos it's fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Jesus ye all have very high aspirations for taking photos

I do it cos it's fun
    Fun?!?!?!?! :eek: Clearly, you're not a real photographer! :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

So I can remain on the right side of the camera lens :p

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jaansu

For me it's a mixture between fun, not being in the pictures and capturing a memorable moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

OCD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I'm sh*t at painting

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭starr0409

I think its about capturing the mood and feelings of a place.

Everyones photographed a flower and a mountain a million times but I find its about taking your perspective from the event, what you felt and having it stir something in you (melancholy, excitement etc) every time you look at it afterwards.

Also, does anyone else find themselves taking a photo, thinking it has potential, then spending so long editing it afterwards you end up hating it even if its the best one you've taken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

kfish2oo2 wrote: »
    I had a photo blog with those images on it open in the background - didn't even notice I'd written about them till after I posted :P

That's your subconscious hard at work! :P

The reason I love photography is because it's relaxing (sometimes), it's an excuse for me to get fresh air and I love the challenge of trying to capture that 'something'. Other than that I love sharing what I captured with people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

5am, into chilly morning? I don't think so. But having camera and witness something special, capture imperfect 2D echo of that moment, or even create such situation, so the representation on my screen or on paper will make me happy?
    Yes, because it can make me happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I shoot coz I have to.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I spent enough on the bleedin camera I may as well get use out of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

It started out as a means of gathering beta (current conditions) on nearby mountains, so I could plan future trips by examining the photographs, and it just progressed from there.

However I've always photographed persistently since being a child as a means of not forgetting. The human mind is fickle in what it chooses to remember. A photograph gives me back the reins on what I deem is something worth noting.

A play on the famous Confucius maxim:

"The palest pixel is better than the best mind"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

L31mr0d wrote: »
    It started out as a means of gathering beta (current conditions) on nearby mountains, so I could plan future trips by examining the photographs, and it just progressed from there.

However I've always photographed persistently since being a child as a means of not forgetting. The human mind is fickle in what it chooses to remember. A photograph gives me back the reins on what I deem is something worth noting.

A play on the famous Confucius maxim:

"The palest pixel is better than the best mind"

Unless you're this woman:
    http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/magazine/17-04/ff_perfectmemory?currentPage=all

:pac:

Advertisement