Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming pc for 550 including delivery help

Options
  • 15-01-2012 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hi, as the title says i have 550 euro to spend on a gaming machine.
    I am looking to play games like bf3, skyrim and starcraft etc smoothly and comfortably.
    I dont have any experience in this side of things so i am looking for someone who does that could help build me a spec for this price if they wouldnt mind.
    i have a screen and keyboard and mouse etc, i just literally need a box basically.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Do you have Windows? Will you need a wireless card for internet access?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ciaran219

No i dont have windows, and yeah i would need a wireless card for it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Item Price
    Total build cost: €549.16 + €30 shipping
    ASRock H61M-HVS (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX €42.25
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9 €31.84
    Samsung SpinPoint F4 320GB, SATA II (HD322GJ) €75.00
    Xigmatek Asgard, ATX, ohne Netzteil, schwarz €31.61
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA €15.03
    Powercolor HD6870 1024MB Dual-DVI/HD1M2I5 €145.99
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W €40.45
    Intel Core i5-2400 Box, LGA1155 €166.99

One of the sample builds in the new PC Building and Upgrading 101 guide being made. Ditch the HDD in that build and use the €75 to buy Windows 7 for €45 off software4students (Only if you're a student or have a relative who is a student IIRC the licence terms correctly) and get a HDD for €30 off Adverts. Shouldn't be too hard to find a 320GB or larger SATA HDD for €30 on Adverts.

That'll run pretty much anything available at the moment maxed out with little to no difficulty providing you limit the resolution to a maximum of 1680x1050.

Thanks for that, what website did u build this off of?

• Advertisement

Thanks, i was looking at that website but was struggling because of the german in it.

Click on English (Or Englisch) in the top right hand corner.

PC Case Style : Ezcool f25 Mini Tower

Processor CPU :Dual Core 5700 3.00ghz

Memory :4gb ddr3 1333mhz

Hard Disk 1 : 500gb hard drive

Optical Drive 1 :High speed dvd rewriter

Video Graphics Card :Nvidia gt240 1Gb

Networking {Broadband} : Gigabite Ethernet +54mbps Wifi

Sound Card : Onboard Sound

Power Supply : Evo 700 watt Gaming psu

CPU Cooling : Intel original cooling system

Operating System O/S : None

Office Software : Open office suite pre-installed

AntiVirus Software : Avg free antivirus

Warranty Period : 2 years

Total is euro 564. is this machine any good for the price?

No. Go with party's build, it's far, far better value.

• Advertisement

That's an absolutely dire system for the price. Poor CPU, only 4GB of RAM, outdated low end graphics card, poor quality power supply and even the Wireless card isn't any good.

It's terrible value for €564.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

image1.jpg

Have you checked amazon, i often find the odd bargain parts there.

oh right cheers, see im new to this so alot of the spec etc i am just going blank when reading them. whats the usual delivery time from hardwareversand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

You should have a look at the sticky above with stuff for sale. Buying second hand hardware could bring the price down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Ciaran219 wrote: »
    oh right cheers, see im new to this so alot of the spec etc i am just going blank when reading them. whats the usual delivery time from hardwareversand

How's it going, just a quick thing I thought I would mention as you seem eager to get going even though you say you are new to all this hardware stuff. I put a build together just before Christmas so I also came here looking for a bit of advice and to see what was the way to go.

Even though I am in college studying computer science and understand how most of the hardware works it still took me a while to figure out where all the latest gear was at and even at that I had to do some research on the latest technology's.

I was pretty eager to go too, but if I had bought some of the gear I was looking at originally I would have ended up with half the machine for the same money. There is a lot of good gear out there for good money be it from hardwareversand, amazon or even second hand off adverts if you know what you are looking for. A lot of the bundled packages or pre built machines are rip offs, be it from out dated components or just generally over priced.

I would just say take your time if you are planning a build and google everything you can, it will pay off in the long run.Or if you are in a rush stick to what the lads tell you here and you won't go far wrong. I wouldn't have said anything only I nearly did it myself but lucky enough I ended up taking my time and ended up with a better machine.Best of luck anyway

You should have a look at the sticky above with stuff for sale. Buying second hand hardware could bring the price down a bit.
    Yeah i had a look at tthe ssticky, but my only worry would be that if something fails on me id like to have some warranty to cover me.

Have you checked amazon, i often find the odd bargain parts there.[/QUOTE]

No never even thought of amazon, will have a look now thanks
    That's an absolutely dire system for the price. Poor CPU, only 4GB of RAM, outdated low end graphics card, poor quality power supply and even the Wireless card isn't any good.

It's terrible value for €564.

cheers, any chance you could link that build you did for me? even though i pick english on the website most of its still in german??
    k.p.h wrote: »
    How's it going, just a quick thing I thought I would mention as you seem eager to get going even though you say you are new to all this hardware stuff. I put a build together just before Christmas so I also came here looking for a bit of advice and to see what was the way to go.

Even though I am in college studying computer science and understand how most of the hardware works it still took me a while to figure out where all the latest gear was at and even at that I had to do some research on the latest technology's.

I was pretty eager to go too, but if I had bought some of the gear I was looking at originally I would have ended up with half the machine for the same money. There is a lot of good gear out there for good money be it from hardwareversand, amazon or even second hand off adverts if you know what you are looking for. A lot of the bundled packages or pre built machines are rip offs, be it from out dated components or just generally over priced.

I would just say take your time if you are planning a build and google everything you can, it will pay off in the long run.Or if you are in a rush stick to what the lads tell you here and you won't go far wrong. I wouldn't have said anything only I nearly did it myself but lucky enough I ended up taking my time and ended up with a better machine.Best of luck anyway

Yeah cheers for that man, think i will just take my time with it, unless someone here throws up a build thats what im looking for.. i seen a machine or two that looked good till i seen the GPU. i would know a few bits and pieces but new gpus etc and which PSU to go with it is something ill have to take my time with. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

You could use chrome, it will translate any
    Leftover german:)

i was told that i would need a 2gb GPU that a 1gb wouldnt be enough to run skyrim etc. does it depend on the card that i use or would i need the 2gb

Whoever told you that was spouting BS. Memory size (in relation to graphics cards) has virtually no affect on games. It comes down to the graphics processor itself. That's where you'll see the difference.

Seriously, the build party posted is by far the best value for money. I wouldn't change a thing with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

i was told that i would need a 2gb GPU that a 1gb wouldnt be enough to run skyrim etc. does it depend on the card that i use or would i need the 2gb
    Depends on the card itself, more than the amount of memory. My 560ti has 1GB of GDDR5 and it'll max out pretty much every game I've tried it with, other than BF3. Memory had little bearing.

• Advertisement

ah right, cheers for that lads. well hopefully the other fella can throw up the link to the build he put up here for me when he gets online. had to return my gaming machine today so im itching to get one back now and the money is burning a hole in my pocket ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

SC2 is CPU-dependent just so you know.

SC2 is CPU-dependent just so you know.

sc2?? what ya mean??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

You said in the OP you wanted to play Starcraft and I'm assuming you mean Starcraft II (SC2). The quality of performance and smoothness of SC2 is dependent on your CPU not your GPU.

Will you need the PC assembled for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

You said in the OP you wanted to play Starcraft and I'm assuming you mean Starcraft II (SC2). The quality of performance and smoothness of SC2 is dependent on your CPU not your GPU.

Stop scaring the living shot out of lad.

I5 2400 will be more then enough to play Starcraft 2, I played on q6600 and it worked like a boss!

Sorry haha i thought you were talkin about a part in the computer :) my bad
    Serephucus wrote: »
    Will you need the PC assembled for you?
    well id prefer it to be assembled but if i had to i could get it done when i get all the parts for it. why do you wanna do it? hahaha
    Stop scaring the living shot out of lad.

im not scared haha, im s***ting it

I5 2400 will be more then enough to play Starcraft 2, I played on q6600 and it worked like a boss!

well starcraft and c and c mostly. skyrim every now and again like.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Sorry haha i thought you were talkin about a part in the computer :) my bad

well id prefer it to be assembled but if i had to i could get it done when i get all the parts for it. why do you wanna do it? hahaha

well starcraft and c and c mostly. skyrim every now and again like.

starcraft is a very flexible game on many systems ans specs.

for gaming i5 2400 is on a high end side, the only better you can get is 2500k so you will be set. i would not even bother with cpu anymore.

Item|Price
    ASRock H61M-HVS (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX|€42.25
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€31.84
    Xigmatek Asgard, ATX, ohne Netzteil, schwarz|€31.61
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA|€15.03
    Powercolor HD6870 1024MB Dual-DVI/HD1M2I5|€145.99
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€40.45
    Intel Core i5-2400 Box, LGA1155|€166.99
    TP-Link TL-WN721N, 150Mbps, USB 2.0|€5.86

If you want it assembled, add this.

As for a HDD, visit http://adverts.ie , search for "HDD" and take your pick. Make sure it's a 3.5" SATA drive. Installing a HDD is very easy so don't worry about that either.

And Windows... http://software4students.ie Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit.

• Advertisement

Item|Price
    ASRock H61M-HVS (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX|€42.25
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€31.84
    Xigmatek Asgard, ATX, ohne Netzteil, schwarz|€31.61
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA|€15.03
    Powercolor HD6870 1024MB Dual-DVI/HD1M2I5|€145.99
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€40.45
    Intel Core i5-2400 Box, LGA1155|€166.99
    TP-Link TL-WN721N, 150Mbps, USB 2.0|€5.86

If you want it assembled, add this.

As for a HDD, visit http://adverts.ie , search for "HDD" and take your pick. Make sure it's a 3.5" SATA drive. Installing a HDD is very easy so don't worry about that either.

And Windows... http://software4students.ie Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit.

Cheers for that again man, how does this compare to that machine you picked out?

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=d00x8303&c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1&model_id=xps-8300&

Advertisement