Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deadlifting for reps with wrist straps => stronger squat?

Options
  • 15-01-2012 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭

I generally do singles in the deadlift, this has worked well for me for gaining deadlift 1 RM strength but lately I've run into problems with sore calluses on my hands. I find this soreness is a distraction which is the last thing I want when lifting heavy. Even if I file them down all it takes is one heavy single for me to start feeling them again.

So for a change I switched to training deadlifts with a double overhand grip + wrist straps. I don't think my max is any higher but doing reps is far easier, the straps mean that I can stay tight and don't have to reset my grip between reps. I think this training has improved my squat strength as it has coincided with me feeling considerably stronger out of the hole. Have already added 15 kg to my squat in one week and think there is more to come.

Does anyone agree with this assessment or have a comment?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I generally do singles in the deadlift, this has worked well for me for gaining deadlift 1 RM strength but lately I've run into problems with sore calluses on my hands. I find this soreness is a distraction which is the last thing I want when lifting heavy. Even if I file them down all it takes is one heavy single for me to start feeling them again.

So for a change I switched to training deadlifts with a double overhand grip + wrist straps. I don't think my max is any higher but doing reps is far easier, the straps mean that I can stay tight and don't have to reset my grip between reps. I think this training has improved my squat strength as it has coincided with me feeling considerably stronger out of the hole. Have already added 15 kg to my squat in one week and think there is more to come.

Does anyone agree with this assessment or have a comment?

I'm making an educated guess that your squat went up so quick because you'd finally given your body a break from near max deadlifting.

There's no way some positive neural or physiological adaptation occurred to the extent of +15kg on your squat in a week. Just being more recovered and ready to train is probably the most obvious and likely answer here.

Advertisement