Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan mineral water?

Options
  • 15-01-2012 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi all, does anybody know what the story is with tap water in Ireland and mineral waters for sale in Ireland and whether they are vegetarian/vegan? I understand that animal bone char is sometimes used in the water filtration process...Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I haven't heard this before. Have you tried contacting any of the main suppliers of bottled water?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

You should be fine. Most purification in Ireland is done using sand/gravel filtering/sedimentation with some added Aluminium Suplhate for floc removal and chlorine for disinfection and Flouride for teeth. The use of char is unlikely and usually is only used when water is initially excessively flouridated which isn't the case in Ireland. Actually, if anything, I'd reckon it's spring and mineral waters which are more prone to this excessive flouridation thus requiring char, but they would probably leave such contamination in the water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_purification

I'd be more, but not much, worried about char being used as a decolouriser for stuff like white sugar and other animal contaminents which make their way into the non-meat food chain.

Besides char is an adsorbant, so takes stuff out as opposed to putting stuff into whatever is being treated.

Advertisement