Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pollytunnel orientation

Options
  • 16-01-2012 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

I am about to purchase a Polytunnel and i would appreciate if someone could advise me on orientation.

I have to site it close to a high hedge that runs e-w. the tunnel will be on the S side.
    The house is located to the SW of the site - this means that it receives no direct sun after 3/4pm during the summer. P

It also gets quite strong winds blowing from the S due to a channeling of the wind from the neighbouring field.

So, i am trying to decide if i should position the tunnel E-W (running along the hedge and would have the main part facing S so gets max sun) or N-S where it would get the morning sun and have less exposure to the wind.

Any advice that you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Personally I would go with E-W. Look at getting storm bracing and or crop bars for added strength if you are really worried. But the tunnel should be strong enough to withstand any wind anyway so I wouldn't put too much consideration into that. Having said that, as you are getting south wind channelled at it, E-W works good for you. It will slip over the structure naturally plus you won't have it coming straight at your door, risking damage during a storm. If a door fails and wind gets in but cant get out you could loose the whole tunnel.
    So go with E-W to take advantage of the better sun exposure. Most of the tunnels at the allotments where I am are E-W.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

+1 for E/W
    You will have to think about how you plant the tunnel though.
    Lowest growing plants to the southern side etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

And think about raised beds too to grab a bit extra light. Usually raised beds in a tunnel rob you of a bit of height for stuff like tomatoes but yours is a special case. For tall stuff you could run strings across the tunnel and grow up and across them.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

+1 for E-W also.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

E-W it is then. Thanks to everyone for the advice. Will keep you updated as i get it up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement