Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Careers

Options
  • 16-01-2012 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

First I'll give a bit of background.

I have a degree in Construction Management and have worked in the construction industry since graduating over 10 years ago. I got made redundant at end of 2009.

After been made redundant I was out of work for 6 months on Jobseekers Benefit, then got a job for 6 months so when that finished up I was back on my original claim of JSB. I was then out of work for 4 months till I got another job. This one lasted 7 months so when I went back into Social Welfare to sign back on I got a new claim on JSB (312 days) which was at bit of a surprise.. I know that when JSB runs out I wont be entitled to much on JSA as my wife works full time.

I've had a few interviews for construction jobs since finishing up in Nov but they are all short term - one was 3 months, one was 6 months.. I'm now seriously considering changing career.

I seen a course on Springboard - a Masters in Business Management. I'm not sure if I'd get on the course but its something I'm interested in. Its blended learning - online and weekends over 2 years. It doesn't start till Sept and is free when out of work. What I am thinking of doing is to get an internship in Feb once I'm eligible so it takes over from SW payments then start the course in Sept so I still have some JSB left once the course starts. The way the course is set up it is perfect to try and find work while doing it.

I wonder would I qualify for a maintenance grant also?

Has anyone else here changed career and how did you go about it?

Advertisement