Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Tesco in Ireland

Options
  • 16-01-2012 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Dont usually moan much but this really annoyed me. I am putting Tesco in gorey up for an award as the worst Tesco in Ireland. Evey other store is either 24 hours or closes at midnight. Gorey branch was 24 hour.. moved to midnight.. moved to 11 o clock.. ten.. then nine and now it seems they close at 8. This I might add is just sun night. I have been caught out by this movable sunday closing on a couple of occasions now cause as far as i can see there's no notice given of the times changing. anyway thats my rant for tonight, sorry for taking up your time

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Don't know about Tesco opening times but you're lucky to have one to give out about, you should try Enniscorthy with our dreadful Dunnes Stores and Caulfield's Supervalu with its Soviet 'no food on the shelves' type operation. :D

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Don't know about Tesco opening times but you're lucky to have one to give out about, you should try Enniscorthy with our dreadful Dunnes Stores and Caulfield's Supervalu with its Soviet 'no food on the shelves' type operation. :D

+1

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

So it is the worst tesco in Ireland, because it wasn't open when you wanted it to be?

I checked their website, and it does seem to be out of date. Allegedly open until 11. You should complain about that.

Tesco Customer Services
    Telephone 1850 744 844
    8am to 6pm Monday to Saturday
    9am to 4pm Sunday

Email: customer.services@tesco.ie

You wouldn't mind if it was consistent, but if they are chopping and changing hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Dunnes is terrible for that. I've often gone in there for the basics and found the shelves empty. Simple things like tomatoes. What kind of self respecting retail giant runs out of tomatoes?

I can't speak for Caulfield's as I haven't been down that way in years, but Pettitt's is fairly decent. It's always well stocked and I've never had a problem getting anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭chieftan65

MarkR wrote: »
    So it is the worst tesco in Ireland, because it wasn't open when you wanted it to be?

No not because they weren't open when i wanted them to be, its because they seem to change their closing times anytime they feel like it with no notice given. surely in this day and age they should be looking after their customers needs and maintaing a normal service without people having to gamble on if they are open or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 trevr

Why bother giving this company your custom in the first place ?? They have cost this country thousands of jobs directly and indirectly as a result of their policy to source product from the UK and bypass the Irish suppliers. At least Dunnes and SuperValu are Irish owned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Anonymous2020

BTW, SuperValu have recently introduced on-line shopping home delivery, so should be good competition for Tesco home delivery....:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

chieftan65 wrote: »
    MarkR wrote: »

No not because they weren't open when i wanted them to be, its because they seem to change their closing times anytime they feel like it with no notice given. surely in this day and age they should be looking after their customers needs and maintaing a normal service without people having to gamble on if they are open or not

Not one to defend the multinationals but I know for a fact they had big signs, both inside and outside the store, advising of the change in opening times.
    They're unlikely to go on radio and tv to advertise opening times for one store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

It is a **** Tesco though, I prefer to make the effort and drive to Arklow instead, really nice inside plenty of parking and all in all.. a more "enjoyable" shopping experience..

And not to drag the Tesco v Dunnes v any other Irish shop up again, but none of those places offer what a large Tesco offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Tesco Sligo Town's quite an interesting layout!
    Checkouts are in the middle of the store and you basically have to walk through them to get from one end to the other!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

dont think tesco wex is 24 hr anymore but i think pettits enniscorthy know how to charge

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Supervalue Enniscorthy has quite often more staff than customers,except on Sundays when there's none of either.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Sapphire3

Does anyone know when the new Tesco in Gorey is opened? It looks huge and rather similar to Arklow's Tesco.
    By the looks of it, it is going to be better than the rubbish Tesco that is currently open.

Sapphire3 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the new Tesco in Gorey is opened? It looks huge and rather similar to Arklow's Tesco.
    By the looks of it, it is going to be better than the rubbish Tesco that is currently open.

20th January. I'm surprised they didn't go for the filling station option, they tried to buy the Applegreen Station beside the old store a few years ago, perhaps they couldn't get planning. Hopefully it will lead to increased competition between them and Dunne's as they are now next door neighbours but it'll be a boost, if it were needed to, Aldi. Much speculation as to who might take over the old store, Penney's have been mentioned but then again every time a decent sized unit becomes available, Penney's are mentioned. It would be a no brainer really, Penney's would do a bomb there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

bmaxi wrote: »
    20th January. I'm surprised they didn't go for the filling station option, they tried to buy the Applegreen Station beside the old store a few years ago, perhaps they couldn't get planning. Hopefully it will lead to increased competition between them and Dunne's as they are now next door neighbours but it'll be a boost, if it were needed to, Aldi. Much speculation as to who might take over the old store, Penney's have been mentioned but then again every time a decent sized unit becomes available, Penney's are mentioned. It would be a no brainer really, Penney's would do a bomb there.

I heard about Penneys moving into the old store about a month or so ago.Gorey is really coming on leaps & bounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

It's funny how gorey never really lost the main street or esmonde street when the shopping centre went up. Bridgewater in Arklow pretty much shut the town down. Looking forward to the new tesco as service in tesco arklow was not good last time.

It's funny how gorey never really lost the main street or esmonde street when the shopping centre went up. Bridgewater in Arklow pretty much shut the town down. Looking forward to the new tesco as service in tesco arklow was not good last time.

Can't say I agree with you there. Lots of the old businesses that were there have closed, to be replaced by fast food joints, bookies, phone shops etc.but certainly Gorey is a vibrant place compared to Arklow. The shopping centre in Gorey has little really, to tempt people out of Main St. and Tesco moving is hardly likely to change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Sapphire3

Thanks for the reply bmaxi, look forward to checking it out.
    I agree with you there, there really isn't all that much in Gorey Shopping Centre, to tempt me anyway! lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Can't say I agree with you there. Lots of the old businesses that were there have closed, to be replaced by fast food joints, bookies, phone shops etc.but certainly Gorey is a vibrant place compared to Arklow. The shopping centre in Gorey has little really, to tempt people out of Main St. and Tesco moving is hardly likely to change that.

That's a good point. Compared to the Bridgewater the Gorey centre doesn't have a hell of a lot in it (prefer it though for some reason).

Gorey Main St. is always bustling on a Saturday afternoon; walk through Arklow's Main St. on the same day and it's almost dead in comparison.

Niles wrote: »
    That's a good point. Compared to the Bridgewater the Gorey centre doesn't have a hell of a lot in it (prefer it though for some reason).

Gorey Main St. is always bustling on a Saturday afternoon; walk through Arklow's Main St. on the same day and it's almost dead in comparison.

Gorey Main St. is bustling virtually every day. Per capita of population, Gorey is probably the busiest town in Wexford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Does it follow the better the Tesco the busier the town?

kneemos wrote: »
    Does it follow the better the Tesco the busier the town?
    What constitutes a good Tesco is purely subjective IMO, there are different levels of Tesco store some of which carry more varied stock and more of it. The one in Gorey is being upgraded to an "Extra", whether that will make it a good or bad Tesco remains to be established, all I know is, Gorey was a busy town before Tesco ever set foot in it.
    All the supermarkets in Gorey seem to do good trade but people nowadays are more selective about where they shop, I know that,in the course of a weekly shop, Mrs Bmaxi is likely to visit all the supermarkets and buy certain items in each.
    One thing noticeable in Tesco Gorey ATM is the number of new staff being trained, that can only be a good thing, I suppose. Let's hope the terms are better than "zero hours".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

kneemos wrote: »
    Supervalue Enniscorthy has quite often more staff than customers,except on Sundays when there's none of either.

hehe

Wexford is pretty bad compared to other stores,a list was posted in BA last night of nationwide reductions on loads of items,from games to tv's and more besides.The Wexford store had a couple of baskets of junk and then one staff member cleared all the ipods that were to be reduced to €25 off the shelf (I wonder where they were going):rolleyes:

@JD,Tesco in Carlow would give Enniscorthy's SV a run for it's money in the who's more '80s Russian stakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

If the kids could put down the ol talky boxes when they're serving you I'd be happy out!

The New Tesco in Gorey opens on the 20th January.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SCRUB

Gorey Main St. is bustling virtually every day. Per capita of population, Gorey is probably the busiest town in Wexford.

Yup give a great feelling to the place and may it stay that way.

Love the fact that the new road around Tesco means you can some way through the town now without going down through the center, or am I speaking too soon and the hordes of ppl using Tesco block up both routes now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

one of the best things about the new tesco extra in gorey is the link road that connects the avenue to the monument. was on the local area plans since 2002 so great to finally have it opened. the other link in the link road east side of the town needs to be finished to help the traffic now though. with the extra flow to the south of the town, its already getting hectic at times.

such a large store too, 6000m2 plus 600 space surface carpark too. :eek:

and good opening hours, 07-23 m-s, 08-22 on sun

no petrol station was ever sought in the planning afaik...

Advertisement