Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football (soccer) Clubs

Options
  • 16-01-2012 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭

Im looking for a football (soccer) club to join but Im not sure if there are any reasonably close by. I live in Ferrybank so anyone with a suggestion of a club (aside from the Ferrybank club) that is accessible on foot or via bus would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

De la Salle on airport road, just past johns park have a good few teams and a good set up. Its not well sign posted as there are a few teams playing in the same complex but its just on the left past Pat McCarthy's Citroen garage, metal gates, walk in and another gate is where all the pitches are

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭lassykk

Hi,

I would say that most clubs in Waterford are accessible by bus if you live in Ferrybank. The bus service there runs every hour I think from near the Church into the city. However you will have to catch a second bus or walk a good bit to get to the pitches once you get to town. Villa and Bohs are both centrally based but the bus won't pass right by them from Ferrybank.

If you don't mind me asking why not just play for Ferrybank when you live there?

I played for them as a kid and apart from one or two managers they are a nice bunch down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

What about the floodlight soccer league? The bus from Ferrybank will take you out to WRH and it's a short walk to the pitch from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

the villa have almost 30 teams, so im sure you will find one of them to suit your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I cant join anywhere until the start of next season anyway, in that time I will try to get some contact details to find out when the club I decide on starts their pre season training.

btw Ziedth, Im not sure how the Floodlight soccer league works, how do you join a team and at what times does it take place?

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I cant join anywhere until the start of next season anyway, in that time I will try to get some contact details to find out when the club I decide on starts their pre season training.

btw Ziedth, Im not sure how the Floodlight soccer league works, how do you join a team and at what times does it take place?

Floodlitsoccer is soccer played on astro pitches during the week between 7pm & 10pm

I play in the one Ziedth referred to above and the website is here:

http://www.floodlitsoccer.com/news.html

There is a team on there currently looking for new players (I've linked to that page)

The other league on offer is the WIT Omnileague out in Carriganore (by B&Q) However I don't know of any bus route from Ferrybank to there so I would say give the website above a look and see if that suits

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

They are teams set up by groups (such as factories or friends) that play once a week in the evening Monday-Friday I think between 6 and 10. We even had a boards team last year.

60 min games on an all weather pitch, standard wouldn't be stellar but it can be a little rough and the referring is so poor it's borderline comical so it wouldn't for everyone.

If you decide to have a look and are looking for a team you could email Kevin (who runs the league) at info@floodlitsoccer.com and ask him are any teams short of bodies and he could put you onto someone.

I honestly have no idea how many games are left but Kevin is sound and was a big help to our team last year when I was involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

Think most teams are in the WIT league now ?

Started playing there this year, and I noticed a lot of faces from Waterpark out there instead.. Facilites are superb out there too

savic04 wrote: »
    Think most teams are in the WIT league now ?

Started playing there this year, and I noticed a lot of faces from Waterpark out there instead.. Facilites are superb out there too

The OP needs the pitch to be on a bus route / walkable from Ferrybank which is why Waterpark was suggested over WIT.

There appears to be a gulf in standard between the two options too... As far as I know the Ferrybank premier team have a team in it as do Villa. No junior league players are allowed in the floodlitsoccer one.

Personally I would like the facilities of WIT minus the junior league players and ran by Kevin (who as Ziedth said is sound out). I wouldn't want to play and get slaughtered every week by premier junior league players. If I was that good I would play premier in the first place!!!

Advertisement