Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

danlen wrote: »
    Yeah thats what we need, our most successful manager of all time changing his philosophy to one that fits in with a manager that was deemed not good enough for WBA.

Honestly do people think its that simple. That us, armchair fans, can see things that AW can't??? Leave it so, he has done amazing with what he has at his disposal. So much so that people actually think we should be still challenging! Says a lot for AW if you ask me.

If we won one league title under AW and his philosophy it would mean more than having won ten leagues in a row as a City fan. That counts for something.

But in this day and age it aint going to happen. we are not going to win things buying on the cheap and playing suicide football.

Like i said, we need to either spend releatively big and/or learn how to park teh bus.

You cannot play the barca way with these sets of players. its impossible. Ramsey, Song, Arteta are nowhere near as good as fabregas, xavi and iniesta

What did Barca win this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Frisbee wrote: »
    If Chelsea don't offer Drogba a new contract we must.

Yeah we'll probably get outbid from China/Qatar but it's worth a shot as it means he could stay in London.

He would be a fantastic signing for us. Especially after being our bete noir for so many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Not sure if that was in response to someone else or a general question but it's relating to something I'd like to point out.

Barca have won nothing this year. I believe a part of Cesc's deal was that we were to be paid an extra few million (maybe 5?) when Barca won 2 La Ligas and the CL (I think that's it) and so far they've won nothing and lost their manager.

Now I'm not sure if there's a time limit on this but it'd be in our benefit for Barca to get winning soon :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Also, worth making a sneaky bit for Vertonghen now that he won't be getting CL football if he moves to Sp*rs? Pretty sure we were second choice, right?

Even if it's only to have him for a season or two and sell on for a profit. He looks like he could be world class with a bit of time.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Frisbee wrote: »
    If Chelsea don't offer Drogba a new contract we must.

Yeah we'll probably get outbid from China/Qatar but it's worth a shot as it means he could stay in London.

Absolutely, if they bought him in on a free (huge wages but worth it) on a 2 year contract or so it would be a master stroke.

I wouldn't be against the idea of offering Kalou a contract either since he's available on a free too. He's not going to set the league alight but he'd be a good option to have in the squad (better finisher crosser than Gervinho!).

If the signed those 2 on a free then bought in 3 decent siginings besides the squad would be looking pretty formidable with plenty of depth too.

their FA CUP in spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Apart from the Club World Cup, European Super Cup & Spanish Super Cup (which I'm sure they're not too bothered about), they're in the Copa Del Rey final.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Wouldn't say Drogba would sign for another English club to be honest.
    And anyone who watches Chelsea regularly should know that Kalou isn't the answer to our problems, he's probably not even on level par with Gervinho and that's saying something, we need quality and Kalou certainly isn't that.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Redzer7 wrote: »
    And anyone who watches Chelsea regularly should know that Kalou isn't the answer to our problems, he's probably not even on level par with Gervinho and that's saying something, we need quality and Kalou certainly isn't that.

I think he'd be a good squad player, from what I've seen of him he has better end product than Gervinho. Wouldn't want him starting every week or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Not sure if that was in response to someone else or a general question but it's relating to something I'd like to point out.

Barca have won nothing this year. I believe a part of Cesc's deal was that we were to be paid an extra few million (maybe 5?) when Barca won 2 La Ligas and the CL (I think that's it) and so far they've won nothing and lost their manager.

Now I'm not sure if there's a time limit on this but it'd be in our benefit for Barca to get winning soon :P

I think it was within 5 years, could be wrong though. But there's definitely was a time limit
    Also, worth making a sneaky bit for Vertonghen now that he won't be getting CL football if he moves to Sp*rs? Pretty sure we were second choice, right?

Even if it's only to have him for a season or two and sell on for a profit. He looks like he could be world class with a bit of time.

you'd have to think that he was favouring a move to tottenham because he thinks he'll have a better chance of being a starter there, dunno if the CL participation will have any effect on him if that is the case

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think he'd be a good squad player, from what I've seen of him he has better end product than Gervinho. Wouldn't want him starting every week or anything.

drogba would be a good signing but can't see it happening either.

junior hoilett from blackburn is available on a free too if he doesn't resign & would be a better option than kalou

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

gosplan wrote: »
    Don't think so Tbh.

I do think it's comical that one season after roman's move to embrace attacking football, chelsea have become the Greece of the CL.

Not really one season now is it. We started with (ironically) Robben and Duff on the wings, and in our double season, we hold the record for most goals and most wins by 5 goals or more

In the CL, we cut our cloth to suit the opposition and the players available.
    Something which if Arsene did occassionaly, no doubt you wouldnt be 7 years without a trophy of any kind

Not really one season now is it. We started with (ironically) Robben and Duff on the wings, and in our double season, we hold the record for most goals and most wins by 5 goals or more

Something which if Arsene did occassionaly, no doubt you wouldnt be 7 years without a trophy of any kind

Ye were boring as fuck, but ye still won the big cup. Enjoy.

Maybe if he'd had a quarter of the money the succession of Chelsea managers have had would have helped too. With that kind of cash we could have held onto our best and improved the squad too.

L'prof wrote: »
    Ye were boring as fuck, but ye still won the big cup. Enjoy.

You must have the attention span of a nat if you found that boring - what drama, what excitement!

greendom wrote: »
    Maybe if he'd had a quarter of the money the succession of Chelsea managers have had would have helped too. With that kind of cash we could have held onto our best and improved the squad too.

Oh but what is it that him and board are always telling you? Theres money to spend and he will spend it! Instead you got a loaner from Chelsea!

Fab wanted to leave cos he loved Barca more than you, not cos you needed the cash. Nasrii left for the money and the chance to actually win stuff. And you do pay your youngsters silly wages, today is not a day to be arguing with yous

You must have the attention span of a nat if you found that boring - what drama, what excitement!

If you read my post, I said ye were boring. Chelsea were boring and there's no denying it. They played for penalties from the beginning. The match itself didn't pique my interest until late in the 2nd half. I found it very enjoyable from then on. I'm not knocking what they've achieved though, so untwist your knickers!

Oh but what is it that him and board are always telling you? Theres money to spend and he will spend it! Instead you got a loaner from Chelsea!

Fab wanted to leave cos he loved Barca more than you, not cos you needed the cash. Nasrii left for the money and the chance to actually win stuff. And you do pay your youngsters silly wages, today is not a day to be arguing with yous

You know that's not true we have a fraction of the cash available to Chelsea and Fabregas was an exception, over the years lots of players have left because we couldn't match the wages offered by Chelsea, City, Milan, Juventus, Barcelona, etc etc.

L'prof wrote: »
    If you read my post, I said ye were boring. Chelsea were boring and there's no denying it. They played for penalties from the beginning. The match itself didn't pique my interest until late in the 2nd half. I found it very enjoyable from then on. I'm not knocking what they've achieved though, so untwist your knickers!

Oh my knickers are fine thanks, but you might want to check yours - played for penos! LOL! We were outplayed by the better team, missing 4 first teamers, had a kid left back on the wing cos our main winger was not 100%, and our 2 CB's just returned from injury, yet history was made and we had just as many shots on target as they did.

Theres no way you can say we sat back like agaist barca, bit there you go, I supposed you are uysed to watching arsenal attack attack and like Bayern lose!

• Advertisement

Oh my knickers are fine thanks, but you might want to check yours - played for penos! LOL! We were outplayed by the better team, missing 4 first teamers, had a kid left back on the wing cos our main winger was not 100%, and our 2 CB's just returned from injury, yet history was made and we had just as many shots on target as they did.

Theres no way you can say we sat back like agaist barca, bit there you go, I supposed you are uysed to watching arsenal attack attack and like Bayern lose!

bayern were missing first team players too and chelsea didn't have as many shots on target as bayern either

did arsenal lose at stamford bridge this year?

Em. Sgt Pepper, first off, you should remember which thread you're posting on! :pac:

Secondly, you have a point but because you're a durty chelsea fan, no-one will listen to you!

You played the tactics that were needed to win a cup.
    We never do.
    We don't know how to park the bus.
    We don't know how to play with the handbrake off.
    We are a very one-dimensional team (Staggeringly beautiful to look at when it work, but a one-dimensional team)
    I hope we can learn a lesson from ye, but I doubt it very much.

What?

2461a82.png

Be honest, it was boring match up until Bayern got the goal, at least it was for the neutral like myself.

Ye were pinned in your own half for most of the game, even after Bayern missed the penalty, which should have given impetus for ye to attack ye barely got forward. The fact Bayern had made some pretty defensive substitutions helped the cause too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I don't rate Kalou at all but I'd swp him for Gervinho witohut a second thought tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Em. Sgt Pepper, first off, you should remember which thread you're posting on! :pac:

Secondly, you have a point but because you're a durty chelsea fan, no-one will listen to you!

You played the tactics that were needed to win a cup.
    We never do.
    We don't know how to park the bus.
    We don't know how to play with the handbrake off.
    We are a very one-dimensional team (Staggeringly beautiful to look at when it work, but a one-dimensional team)
    I hope we can learn a lesson from ye, but I doubt it very much.

Brilliant! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Probably not true but here you go.......

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2147093/Anzhi-Makhachkala-line-45m-bid-Robin-Van-Persie.html

And if it is true then I'd defo take that deal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

blobby360 wrote: »
    Probably not true but here you go.......

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2147093/Anzhi-Makhachkala-line-45m-bid-Robin-Van-Persie.html

And if it is true then I'd defo take that deal :D

Don't think it's about the money for RVP. He won't want to go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Lads as an Arsenal fan the last two weeks have been tough seeing 1st City winning the title and then Chelsea last night , But I don't get the argueing with fans of either those teams

It doesn't matter what players they signed or the way they did it , The simple fact is they did ...I love Arsenal but i swap all the beautiful football that we sometimes play ...**** yes I would fare play to chelsea they were on there way out against Napoli and they made a good desicion getting rid of AVB and RDM came in and played the proper way to beat the teams they came against,

Last year is a proper example we tried to out football Barcelona and went out, Chelsea parked the bus and it worked and fare play to them for doing that.

I think if Wenger swallowed a bit of pride every know and then (and the board mind) cos the money is there they are just too main to spend it in my eyes

• Advertisement

Last year is a proper example we tried to out football Barcelona and went out, Chelsea parked the bus and it worked and fare play to them for doing that.

Lolwut? We played pure ****e bus-parking stuff against Barcelona and it almost worked. We were ahead until van Persie was sent off and at the end were a decent striker away from winning it.
    When Arsenal did it the reaction was about how lucky they were not to get hammered etc. etc., when others do it it's tactical genius. How many open goals did Barcelona miss in the semi this year? It was ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Why come in here and stick in a boot?

AFAIK ... AVB, Torres, Mata all brought in to usher out the defensive combative old guard and create a new type of Chelsea football team. So yes spahead, it is one year since Chelsea football club under Roman pursued an active policy to remove the old guard and replace them with technically gifted youth.

Roman's meddling backfired spectuaularly and then things worked out - that's what i find amusing. That's all. Surely to god you see some funny irony there.

Classy though. Win a trophy and start slagging off other teams in random threads. Ever post in here before out of curiosity.

Personally as regards the CL, i don't think particularly think that Chelsea ever really cut their cloth differently apart from this year, I just think they've beereally unlucky in the CL. Really all you can do as a top team in the CL is win your group and get yourself an easier draw into the semi - from there it's all down to getting the breaks and playing the game right on the night. Chelsea have put themselves in the semi plenty of times, played excellently from there on plently of times and deserve a win.

You however don't.

gosplan wrote: »
    Why come in here and stick in a boot?

AFAIK ... AVB, Torres, Mata all brought in to usher out the defensive combative old guard and create a new type of Chelsea football team. So yes spahead, it is one year since Chelsea football club under Roman pursued an active policy to remove the old guard and replace them with technically gifted youth.

Roman's meddling backfired spectuaularly and then things worked out - that's what i find amusing. That's all. Surely to god you see some funny irony there.

Classy though. Win a trophy and start slagging off other teams in random threads. Ever post in here before out of curiosity.

Personally as regards the CL, i don't think particularly think that Chelsea ever really cut their cloth differently apart from this year, I just think they've beereally unlucky in the CL. Really all you can do as a top team in the CL is win your group and get yourself an easier draw into the semi - from there it's all down to getting the breaks and playing the game right on the night. Chelsea have put themselves in the semi plenty of times, played excellently from there on plently of times and deserve a win.

You however don't.

who's sticking the boot in? I merely responded to the one season of attacking football crack and pointed out that Roman has wanted this all along and mnay have fallen on that sword and the impossible job of providing Roman with exciting, attacking but winning football and the CL cup to boot!

And yes, I find it very ironic that when everyone thought that Chelsea with the billions would dominate football for years, the very bloke spending the cash fecks it up for himself. Thank god the rest of the league cried!

Now we will see in City what happens when a billionaire keeps a cool head, will they go on and dominate the way that Chelsea could of?

And yes I post in here plenty!

Oh and the posts asking about getting Drogba were quite amusing dont you think?

Actually I think Arsene and Chelsea are both very similier. Both have been stubburn to the point of lunacy - chelsea for sacking double winning managers (twice now - maybe 3 times soon!) and Arsene for just not buying a tough midfielder or a decent defender and goalkeeper when with even the defender you would think you would have won something by now!

Good post here I thought by a gooner

http://arsenaltruth.squarespace.com/arsenal-truth/2012/5/20/munich-choke-as-jealous-gooners-slate-chelsea.html

who's sticking the boot in? I merely responded to the one season of attacking football crack and pointed out that Roman has wanted this all along and mnay have fallen on that sword and the impossible job of providing Roman with exciting, attacking but winning football and the CL cup to boot!

And yes, I find it very ironic that when everyone thought that Chelsea with the billions would dominate football for years, the very bloke spending the cash fecks it up for himself. Thank god the rest of the league cried!

Now we will see in City what happens when a billionaire keeps a cool head, will they go on and dominate the way that Chelsea could of?

Actually I think Arsene and Chelsea are both very similier. Both have been stubburn to the point of lunacy - chelsea for sacking double winning managers (twice now - maybe 3 times soon!) and Arsene for just not buying a tough midfielder or a decent defender and goalkeeper when with even the defender you would think you would have won something by now!

http://arsenaltruth.squarespace.com/arsenal-truth/2012/5/20/munich-choke-as-jealous-gooners-slate-chelsea.html

Em...........

Would you kindly f*ck off to the Chelsea thread? Just cos you won the Champions League, doesn't mean you won the internet. And just cos you pepper a Chelsea FC post with "Arsene" and "Gooner" does not make it a post about The Arsenal.

Cheers, don't let the door slam behind ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

ok enough please private pepperpot its getting boring. are you really that bored that you feel the need to hang around here? just go home.

Yellow cards galore......:D
    Will Wenger go for Drogba now? :)

• Advertisement

But in this day and age it aint going to happen. we are not going to win things buying on the cheap and playing suicide football.

Like i said, we need to either spend releatively big and/or learn how to park teh bus.

You cannot play the barca way with these sets of players. its impossible. Ramsey, Song, Arteta are nowhere near as good as fabregas, xavi and iniesta

And none of the players you mentioned could really effectively park the bus, maybe Arteta, definately not Song.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Sgt Pepper 64 15 posts.

1 post per week.

Plenty :rolleyes:

RVP 11 wrote: »
    And none of the players you mentioned could really effectively park the bus, maybe Arteta, definately not Song.:D

yes they can if we train them too :) Djuorugh and Mertesaka in particular as they have the height to do so.

yes they can if we train them too :) Djuorugh and Mertesaka in particular as they have the height to do so.
    I'm sure mourinho could train them to do it but Arsene Wenger? Never in a month of Sundays :)

I'm sure mourinho could train them to do it but Arsene Wenger? Never in a month of Sundays :)

time for a new manager then. sack wenger :D;):p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭G1032

Em...........

Would you kindly f*ck off to the Chelsea thread? Just cos you won the Champions League, doesn't mean you won the internet. And just cos you pepper a Chelsea FC post with "Arsene" and "Gooner" does not make it a post about The Arsenal.

Cheers, don't let the door slam behind ye.
    If you all just ignore him he'll go away................

G1032 wrote: »
    If you all just ignore him he'll go away................

yes, yes I will! Delighted with yours and Utd's sudden interest in our players and tactics though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

......and put his shin pads on.....then come back and pretend he was here all along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

United,City and Chelsea all say no to Hazard have we an outside chance ? Also apologize for my rant earlier just so frustrated at the way the club shows no ambition and gets raped for players nearly every year :( like people forget we lost Clichy and Eboue aswell last year as well as Cesc and the c.unt

United,City and Chelsea all say no to Hazard have we an outside chance ? Also apologize for my rant earlier just so frustrated at the way the club shows no ambition and gets raped for players nearly every year :( like people forget we lost Clichy and Eboue aswell last year as well as Cesc and the c.unt

Fair enough, no point gettin worked up about something that hasn't happened yet...this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Where did you see about Hazard being rejected by them? Personally, I don't want him. I'm sure people have posted the videos of him talking about his next move while he is still at Lille! If he's like that with the club he grew up at, I can't see him being respectful or loyal to us when he decides he wants to jump ship... Last thing we need is another mercenary.

dorgasm wrote: »
    Where did you see about Hazard being rejected by them? Personally, I don't want him. I'm sure people have posted the videos of him talking about his next move while he is still at Lille! If he's like that with the club he grew up at, I can't see him being respectful or loyal to us when he decides he wants to jump ship... Last thing we need is another mercenary.

I'm going to defend him here as I think he's being unfairly judged. He could have left Lille last year but said he would stay on for 1 more season. He's done that and snce speculation has been non-stop as to where he would end up. Now he has added fuel to the fire but I don't see how that is disrespectful to Lille as they knew full well he would be leaving.

Most crucially it hasn't impacted on his form at all. He's scored in his last 11 home matches, including a hat-trick last night.

It's not really a concern for us anyway as there's absolutely no chance that he'll end up with Arsenal.

greendom wrote: »
    dorgasm wrote: »

I'm going to defend him here as I think he's being unfairly judged. He could have left Lille last year but said he would stay on for 1 more season. He's done that and snce speculation has been non-stop as to where he would end up. Now he has added fuel to the fire but I don't see how that is disrespectful to Lille as they knew full well he would be leaving.

Most crucially it hasn't impacted on his form at all. He's scored in his last 11 home matches, including a hat-trick last night.

It's not really a concern for us anyway as there's absolutely no chance that he'll end up with Arsenal.
    Arsenal fans turning their noses up to quality players ? Lol
    We can never expect senior quality players to come to a club that pays over the top for young talent, and especially commit forever lol. There's nothing wrong with mercenaries if the bring something to the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Yet when they come and ultimately leave on bad terms, we end up bitter about it. I don't like mercenary footballers at any club. I enjoy supporting a team where I like the players as people too and I find it hard to support a player who I think will be another Adebayor or Nasri coming here.

Hazard has not left Lille on bad terms. He was on the pitch for ages last night with the crowd applauding him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement