Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I didn't mean to imply he did. He's been with Lille all his life, of course he won't leave them on bad terms, just like Cesc didn't leave us on bad terms. All I'm saying is, he wouldn't have the same level of respect or loyalty to Arsenal as he did for Lille were he to join us, which is unlikely in any case.

EDIT: I was actually replyinf to RVP_11's comment "Arsenal fans turning their noses up to quality players ? Lol" Was basically saying if we turn our nose up at mercenaries then we won't end up being bitter when they end up leaving the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Haven't posted on here for ages :eek: :eek: :eek:

Has been a strange season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Lets hope that the views of an Arsenal legend will be heeded by Wenger and that we work with the defence and fix all the holes there. We need a proper defensive coach, hope it's Steve Bould but i'm not so sure.

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/gunners-legend-calls-for-defensive-changes

dorgasm wrote: »
    I didn't mean to imply he did. He's been with Lille all his life, of course he won't leave them on bad terms, just like Cesc didn't leave us on bad terms. All I'm saying is, he wouldn't have the same level of respect or loyalty to Arsenal as he did for Lille were he to join us, which is unlikely in any case.

EDIT: I was actually replyinf to RVP_11's comment "Arsenal fans turning their noses up to quality players ? Lol" Was basically saying if we turn our nose up at mercenaries then we won't end up being bitter when they end up leaving the club.
    How many players will stay loyal for their whole career?
    And why does it have to be bitter?
    They come to our club to help us win things and get playing time, when that doesn't happen and they move on we have to hate them for it?
    Does wenger have to bear in mind the personality over quality of the Player?
    Come off it, being bitter about players leaving the club does happen in every club but the reasons are always the same at Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Haven't posted on here for ages :eek: :eek: :eek:

Has been a strange season.

Awwww.Well I mIssed ya.I was worried for a bit then remembered you're a grown up and you're more than likely either grand or dead.

Welcome back,and yes it WAS a strange season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

So, it looks like Torres, Drogba and Berbatov will be leaving their clubs this summer. If we do lose RvP does anybody think we could get one of them in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

Galvasean wrote: »
    So, it looks like Torres, Drogba and Berbatov will be leaving their clubs this summer. If we do lose RvP does anybody think we could get one of them in?

Drogba will go to Asia/Qatar, which ever offers the most! Maybe teams up with coach Anelka!
    Torres isn't leaving
    Berbatov i think is going to Bayern Leverkusen.
    He can still play at the top level, so a cheeky bid from Arsenal would be well worth the time/money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Berbatov, former spurs and Man United player.... I'm sure he'd get a great welcome!

I'd go for Drogba out of those three. Older, yes, but he's also better than the other two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Clinton Morisson and david Connolly are free agents this summer. striker problems = solved!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Just came across this on youtube. Great viewing that will be a source of comfort for me anyways for those days we look shambolic as a team :)

HazDanz wrote: »
    Just came across this on youtube. Great viewing that will be a source of comfort for me anyways for those days we look shambolic as a team :)

Worth noting that even that season would've had us just a single point ahead of 3rd place last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Worth noting that even that season would've had us just a single point ahead of 3rd place last season.

Regardless of points totals, that run and the set of players we had in the team were just a real pleasure to watch. The football they produced on several occasions was jaw droppingly good.

Regardless of points totals, that run and the set of players we had in the team were just a real pleasure to watch. The football they produced on several occasions was jaw droppingly good.

Yeah just thought it was funny that as I skipped through it the match it landed on was a 1-1 with Charlton. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Galvasean wrote: »
    Clinton Morisson and david Connolly are free agents this summer. striker problems = solved!

IF we can someohw trick them into thinking that they're playing for us in the championship and not the prem; the goals will come rolling in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Feck ya anyways! A 2hr video.................

I was meant ta re-seed the garden this morning!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

Buttonftw wrote: »

Why is that worth noting? A totally different season against 19 totally different teams to last seasons teams.....???

G1032 wrote: »
    Why is that worth noting? A totally different season against 19 totally different teams to last seasons teams.....???

Just that unbeaten runs including massive amounts of draws aren't always all that amazing in points per game terms. Juve went this season unbeaten and only ended up with 84 points, if they hadn't won the league would the unbeaten season have been seen as being much of an achievement? Going unbeaten doesn't guarantee an awful lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

What season, we got 90 points the unbeaten season didn't we?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

What season, we got 90 points the unbeaten season didn't we?

Yep we sure did, not sure what he's on about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Yep we sure did, not sure what he's on about.

yep somebody didn't add the last seven games ;)

• Advertisement

Just that unbeaten runs including massive amounts of draws aren't always all that amazing in points per game terms. Juve went this season unbeaten and only ended up with 84 points, if they hadn't won the league would the unbeaten season have been seen as being much of an achievement? Going unbeaten doesn't guarantee an awful lot.

Brian Clough said the unbeaten record was his biggest achievement much more than the european cup.

49 unbeaten in the league, pretty amazing really may never be beaten in our lifetime.

He says it here four minutes in.

Maths not people on here's strong point? Last season 90 points would have been first, 2nd and 3rd both 89 points. 90 points is one more point than 89 points.

Maths not people on here's strong point? Last season 90 points would have been first, 2nd and 3rd both 89 points. 90 points is one more point than 89 points.

I see where your coming from, shíte way of putting it.
    Anyways to the point we still would have came first so who gives a flying fúck?

Arsenal 90 PTS
    City 89 PTS
    United 89 PTS

"Worth noting that even that season would've had us just a single point ahead of 3rd place last season."

I know what you mean you just wrote it arseways.

If you wrote a single point ahead of 2nd place last season it would of made sense.

I was assuming that the hypothetical position would also be included. Meh.

I dunno if people give a flying **** about anything, just thought I'd point something out that I find interesting, that our miraculous season results-wise wasn't far ahead of supposedly the worst United team in decades last season.

I was assuming that the hypothetical position would also be included. Meh.

I dunno if people give a flying **** about anything, just thought I'd point something out that I find interesting, that our miraculous season results-wise wasn't far ahead of supposedly the worst United team in decades last season.

One point better than the most expensively assembled team ever too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

So any news on RVP?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

So any news on RVP?

I got a postcard from him

amiable wrote: »
    I got a postcard from him

from his holiday trip to manchester?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

So any news on RVP?

any news on these links that wilshere won't play again because of problems with his bones or were you just making something up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

batistuta9 wrote: »
    So any news on RVP?

any news on these links that wilshere won't play again because of problems with his bones or were you just making something up?

Had his operation today, should be back in 2-3 months
    Hopefully for the start of the season

Had his operation today, should be back in 2-3 months
    Hopefully for the start of the season

i'm not on about that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

He posted a pic earlier on twitter of him standing with crutches following the surgery.
    I'd imagine they are just going to take their time getting him back and make sure he's right this time and no time frame I'd imagine

amiable wrote: »
    He posted a pic earlier on twitter of him standing with crutches following the surgery.
    I'd imagine they are just going to take their time getting him back and make sure he's right this time and no time frame I'd imagine

see post 5933

before anyone else posts about wilshere's recent surgery im not talking about that. what i'm on about is the lad i quoted came on here saying wilshere would never play again due to problems with his bones or something similar, i asked him where he heard that & he never said where or provided any links etc.

see post 5933

before anyone else posts about wilshere's recent surgery im not talking about that. what i'm on about is the lad i quoted came on here saying wilshere would never play again due to problems with his bones or something similar, i asked him where he heard that & he never said where or provided any links etc.

i never said that as a fact.

i said it as a "rumour" i clearly said that there is a "nasty rumour" going on about it.

no links as you can imagine, its all BS and thank god for that. heard it from a mate and people from twitter so there you go.

you know how rumours go around

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tsoparno

Five released today, the start of the clearout? Almunia joins Gavin Hoyte, George Brislen-Hall, Sean McDermott, Rhys Murphy and scholars Jeff Monakana and James Campbell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

tsoparno wrote: »
    Five released today, the start of the clearout? Almunia joins Gavin Hoyte, George Brislen-Hall, Sean McDermott, Rhys Murphy and scholars Jeff Monakana and James Campbell.

Gavin had an older bro who played for Arsenal didn't he?

Justin?

Bye bye Almunia. You were awful.

out of all of those players only Almunia is familier name that needed to be shipped long ago

i never said that as a fact.

i said it as a "rumour" i clearly said that there is a "nasty rumour" going on about it.

no links as you can imagine, its all BS and thank god for that. heard it from a mate and people from twitter so there you go.

you know how rumours go around

yeah you did, i forgot you said rumour but there all really rumour though so i though you must have read it somewhere except from some randomers on twitter

• Advertisement

not really, they release players from the reserves/youth every summer + their all out of contract like almunia

not really the clearout we're looking for. which could prove more difficult

arshavin's waiting until after the euro's to decide his future links

Hoyte and Murphy were never going to make it. They had been there for years and never showed anything worthwhile. Murphy was highly thought of a few years ago but he never pushed on and seemed to stay at that level.

No surprise with Almunia going. Surely that means Szczesny gets the number 1 shirt next season?

Charlie George speaks about his life as an Arsenal fan in a free video on Arsenal player.

One word for that man that is used too loosely in modern times but so apt for him

LEGEND!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Monakana was a big player for us in last years u-18s. Surprised he's only been given one year to prove himself. Saw him as a possible emergence but apparently not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I hated the sight of Almunia and that retarded looking dog he has.

Im sorry but a human being with a poor taste in dogs is something I cannot abide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Im sorry but a human being with a poor taste in dogs is something I cannot abide.

Typed 'Almunia dog' into google images, got this:

blogimg_1650_6107-20100529093457118567.jpg

I don't know either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

No need to bring a poor defenceless(:pac::pac::pac::pac:)animal into it.

I wasnt Almunias greatest fan but he would have the odd fcking amazing display,including one against Barca(may be wrong there)

He was a good shot stopper,imo but a liability.

Most keepers can be,they are by definition bloody nuts.

MadJens could be wacky at times and let the odd howler in as does my favourite keeper since Safehands who was howler prone too from distance.Woj is nuts and lets a few crap ones in but I do believe he is the one for Arsenal.His stature(like Scmeichells,imo),confidence and obvious love for the Arse are going to stand is in good stead in the years to come.

Just clear the ball first time instead of trying to beat the striker please:psometimes beating him twice:eek::o

Im not nuts here,Almunia had potential,obviously or he would be with us but dropped short.Imagine how things couldve been different if Woj hadnt been such a muppet in the gym.(Poor bstard having to have his arse wiped for 3 months)He'd have been promoted a lot quicker to #1

At least he had a dog on a lead and not a fcuking cat:pac:

cesc77 wrote: »

MadJens could be wacky at times and let the odd howler in as does my favourite keeper since Safehands who was howler prone too from distance.Woj is nuts and lets a few crap ones in but I do believe he is the one for Arsenal.His stature(like Scmeichells,imo),confidence and obvious love for the Arse are going to stand is in good stead in the years to come.
    [/SIZE]

You need to remember he's only 22. Normally keepers don't hit their prime until about 30.

WTF?? Was he not tipped as the best under 17 goalkeeper in the world or something a few years back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    You need to remember he's only 22. Normally keepers don't hit their prime until about 30.

I know!:)He's my favourite since Safe hands.

Mybe I didnt make it clear enough.

Hes my 1 point above third place in the Invincibles team if it was last year.......or something:pac:

He's going to be immense in a few years:)

or sooner...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'm going to be kind here and remember my favourite Almunia moment; for sure the guy has to go and his time is up but we might as well be nice about it.

Got us through to the Q/F vs Liverpool.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement