Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

amiable wrote: »
    Point out in that post where i said arsenal had agreed terms with Hazard.

Ok Sorry man my mistake to be fair to you, you actually didnt. I misinterpreted it by the way you had stated in your post and i thought you were believing the hype around the article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Look's like we might be in for Giroud.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2149508/Arsenal-net-Montpellier-striker-Olivier-Giroud.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Seems like a great deal for a guy who's scored so many goals.
    And getting rid of Chamakh would be amazing to :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

JAN VERTONGHEN last night warned Tottenham to hurry up and sign him – or he will join Arsenal instead.

The Ajax captain claims he has already been shown around White Hart Lane and chairman Daniel Levy visited him in Amsterdam on Monday.

But the Belgian defender fears the deal will collapse following Spurs’ failure to win a Champions League place next season – with Ajax demanding £12.5m.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger also wants ­Holland’s player of the ­season, who’ll skipper ­Belgium against ­Montenegro tonight.

“I’ve said repeatedly that Tottenham are my first choice, but the talks haven’t progressed,” said centre-back Vertonghen, 25.

“They have shown me around, I have met all their key people and their ­chairman came to meet me on Monday. But Arsenal want me too. They remain a possibility if my Spurs move falls through, as Ajax are asking €15m for me.

“That is a lot of money for someone with just a year left on his contract.

“I’m sure Spurs won’t be able to pay that much ­after they missed out on the Champions League.

“Ajax want to get as much as they can for me, while Spurs want to pay as little as possible.

“I hope a deal can be done. But I won’t fight with Ajax – that is the last thing I’d want after so many good years with them.

“England is my preferred destination. But if needed I will see out my contract and leave on a free transfer next year.”

link Dunno if arsenal would be looking to pay that either but if they want him there's the chance now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Straight swap for Squillaci :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I don't no of I want vertonghen now, he is choosing spurs for first team football, why not show some ambition and choose us and fight for your place

I think he's admitted to being a Sp*rs fan

I think he's admitted to being a Sp*rs fan
    Oh right
    There's my argument out the window :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

That Chamakh + €7m deal for Giroud would be a sensational bit of business if it comes true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I wouldn't complain if it was 10 - 12 million plus Chamakh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Giroud was top goalscorer this season in Ligue 1 if my memory serves me correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I would like to see Wenger play all the boys we haven't seen yet in the upcoming friendlies and tournaments. Lads like Campbell, Wellington and Afobe just to see what we have coming behind. It would be nice to get a clearer picture of where we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I have to say, I'd love Giroud.

Top scorer in Ligue 1 this season. A big big striker who's only 25 and likely to enter the best period of his career in the next 5 years (Drogba was still playing french 2nd division at that age).

If we got him, I wouldn't be so worried about losing RVP tbh.

If we got him and RVP stayed the next year to see out the remainder of his contract, I'd have no problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

Am I the only one that thinks that if we do sign Giroud, Chamakh certainly won't be going in the opposite direction? Don't get me wrong, would love to see it happen and I think it would be win, win for us to be honest. But Montpellier won Ligue 1 this season with a wage cap of 15k per week. Can't remember the ridiculous figures Chamakh is on, but I'm certain its a dam sight higher than that.. We would either have to give him a bumper pay off, or continue to pay him a percentage for the rest of his contract.. Not the Arsenal way imho...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I haven't seen if the 15k wage cap is correct but if it is, what you say is sadly true...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

15k wage cap? How do they eat!?!?!?

The get rid of list stands at:

Almunia
    Fabianski
    Mannone?
    Squillaci
    Djourou?
    Denilson
    Arshavin
    Bendtner
    Chamakh
    Vela?

Have I missed anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Park?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

G.K. wrote: »
    Park?
    Easy mistake for him to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

G.K. wrote: »
    Park?

Who?

• Advertisement

Okay so now we have (league appearances in brackets, + denotes substitute appearances):

Almunia (0)
    Fabianski (0)
    Mannone? (0)
    Squillaci (0+1)
    Djourou? (14+4)
    Denilson (0)
    Arshavin (8+11)
    Bendtner (0)
    Chamakh (1+10)
    Park (0+1)
    Vela? (0)

So that's potentially 11 first team squad players we want to offload. I know some people have said such a clearout might disrupt the team, but I'd have to disagree since many of those players were away on loan anyway so were sort of already gone. Plus between them they made very few first team appearances (Arshavin and Djourou being the only exceptions)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Alrite lads have been away on hols in sunny spain for the past few weeks.Any news from the gunners camp,ive read a few bits about us potentially signing a few new players.Whats the latest with the RVP situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Sergio wrote: »
    Alrite lads have been away on hols in sunny spain for the past few weeks.Any news from the gunners camp,ive read a few bits about us potentially signing a few new players.Whats the latest with the RVP situation?

RVP there was a meeting and we know less on the situation than we did before. Supposedly we're offering him 130K and a big fee, city are offering him 250K, his own jumbo jet, his own island and a place alongside Jedward so they'll be known as VaJedward.

Signings there was talk of m'villa but supposedly city stuck their noses in and all bets are off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

It was a nice dream :
    Arsenalhave been linked to Rennes midfielder Yann M'Vila this summer.

But BBC Sport's David Ornstein says on Twitter: "M'Vila camp tell me he will not be joining Arsenal or any other PL club as things stand. Only serious interest from elsewhere in Europe #afc"

Twitter source, won't believe it til it's concrete, from the players mouth

Dempsey seems to be giving us flirty looks from across the room hoping we'll ask her out.

He says he's desperate to play CL football next year, and we're the only team in the top 4 I can see buying him. He seems to be outright telling us to make a bid.

Thoughts?

• Advertisement

Do you have any source for that? Would like him here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Dempsey seems to be giving us flirty looks from across the room hoping we'll ask her out.

He says he's desperate to play CL football next year, and we're the only team in the top 4 I can see buying him. He seems to be outright telling us to make a bid.

Thoughts?

Similar to a night out, we may look at, but don't touch the more beautiful girls who are strutting their stuff to euro pop. But after a long night and a feed of beer, we turn to the functional, less glamorous girl who all night has been lurking on the periphery of the dance floor, waiting for a chance to room with The Gunner.

We wake up the next morning after a successful bid and realize the damaged limitations that is lying next to us in bed.

More often than not, we ignore the beutiful women AND functional lurkers and take home an absolute rotter!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

dorgasm wrote: »
    More often than not, we ignore the beutiful women AND functional lurkers and take home an absolute rotter!!

gervinho1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzFp865FzkEMuXECzask2FzYXpu-iSlQaclja-kn7MGdjGiOQdiw

:pac:

• Advertisement

or go for a pretty one that's far too young and naive to be involved in such adult business.

Do you have any source for that? Would like him here!

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7778376/Dempsey-hints-at-Fulham-exit
    Clint Dempsey could be set to leave Fulham after admitting he remains desperate to play in the UEFA Champions League.

The American striker enjoyed a hugely impressive season for the Cottagers, scoring 23 goals for the club in all competitions.

Fulham have offered Dempsey a new deal to stay at the club for a seventh season, but the 29-year-old has suggested his time at the club could be coming to an end.

He told Sports Illustrated: "I am grateful for everything Fulham have done for me.

"Some of the best memories I have in soccer have been there, but the fact remains that I want to play in the Champions League. I want to play at the highest level possible.

Opportunities

"I want to do as much as I can in my career and look back and say I made the most of all the opportunities I have had.

"I am always going to want to play in Champions League. It is something I have never done. I would like to test myself at that level.

"That way I can look back and say, 'Hey, I gave it a go. Either I was good enough or I wasn't good enough."'

Dempsey added: "If I wanted to be comfortable, I would have stayed in Major League Soccer, because I would have been closer to my family and friends, and I would have been used to the way of life.

"I am a risk-taker. I want to throw myself in the deep end and see if I can swim."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Twitter source, won't believe it til it's concrete, from the players mouth

in this interview all he says that he will in all likelihood be leaving Rennes but at the moment he's only thinking about Euro 2012.

http://www.rennes.maville.com/sport/detail_-Football-M-Vila-Ce-serait-une-catastrophe_46-2160263_actu.Htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Wouldn't like to see Djourou leave at all tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Wouldn't like to see Djourou leave at all tbh.

Exact same here.

I think he's pretty decent and tbh I think there is more to come from him too. Considering he's probably 4th choice, I would think that gives us good depth at centre half. I also doubt he's on massive wages and plus I think he's pretty well liked around the club.

One big signing for attacking midfield would be a massive boost.

Just on the Dempsey thing, I would be a bit unsure of it tbh, but if you look at last season alone, Dempsey > Walcott, in terms of effectiveness. Saying that, if Theo can have a good Euros it could (finally) get him close to realizing his potential.

23yrs ago today, Michael Thomas became a legend
    Best league finish ever
    FACT

Being 9, watching with my dad. With his dodgy 80's tache.

One of the greatest days of my life.

FACT

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

23yrs ago today, Michael Thomas became a legend
    Best league finish ever
    FACT
    That's the game that made me a gunner was only 8 and watched the last 10 mins in a neighbors house think half the road was in! Some crack I was obviously a glory hunter back then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

Goosebumps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Been doing a lot of Arsenal reading and watching this morning.

Conclusion: I love this club so much.

Some seriously heroic moments to look back on this season though.

The great thing about finishing so close to the edge is that all these moments were essential.

Heroic stuff.

• Advertisement

That penalty save by Woj vs Di Natale was incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Being 9, watching with my dad. With his dodgy 80's tache.

One of the greatest days of my life.

FACT

And thanks to my father never again was a dangley light installed in sitting room of the Noo household.

seklly wrote: »
    Goosebumps!

Ill NEVER forget this night.Goosebumps?I was crying a wee tear watching that.:o

I havent watched that for a few years but its funny the things you forget.

Player numbers 1-11,with 2:eek:subs

Keepers picking up a backpass.

Barnes not taking it into the corner to waste time in the last minute.:pac:

McMahon...1 min to go finger:pac:

George Grahams dignity at the end.Some modern managers would be Klinnsman diving all round the place.

We had to go to fortress Anfield and win by two goals....unheard of

Liverpool buying their nemesis,Michael Thomas who did feck all for them:D

Finally RIP Gary Ablett and Rocky Rocky:(

PS:what was Liverpools gripe for the first goal again?

Bendyboots scoring against Brazil:eek:

Transfer seeking much??

Someones sure to make an offer for him now

Per starts for Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Per not going well for Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Phillipe Auclair French Football correspondent was on talksport and he reckons Arsenal have come in late for Hazard so who knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Phillipe Auclair French Football correspondent was on talksport and he reckons Arsenal have come in late for Hazard so who knows

Hasnt Hazard already ruled us out by saying he's going to City, united or chelsea?

I dont really want the lad if he isnt going to shut his mouth!

On transfer side of things Vertonghen is happy enough with us being his second choice team if Spurs falls through :rolleyes:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/7777224/Vertonghen-s-Spurs-doubts

Germany concede 5 with Per back.:eek:

Vertonghen=blank cheque book=annoying sp*rs=not repeating last season with poor back up

• Advertisement

cesc77 wrote: »
    Vertonghen=blank cheque book=annoying sp*rs=not repeating last season with poor back up

Our centre-back back-ups were fine, trouble was that they were playing at fullback.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement