Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

keano_afc wrote: »
    Piers Morgan is a turd. I hate that he's an Arsenal fan.

I don't like him myself, but a tiny bit of me wants to like him only because he's an Arsenal fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

He's a troll. Gives Arsenal fans a bad name occasionally but it's funny at times. I know I'd rather have him trolling as an Arsenal fan than as a United fan, he'd piss me off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Redzer7 wrote: »
    On the flip side Piers Morgan was tweeting yesterday about playing on Soccer Aid saying he'll definitely play if Nasri plays and tagged Nasri in the tweet :pac:.

I'd love Nasri to make a complete fool out of that idiot tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

greendom wrote: »
    I'd love Nasri to make a complete fool out of that idiot tbh.

I'd much rather see Morgan make an idiot out of Nasri. The twitter war would be hilarious.

dorgasm wrote: »
    I'd much rather see Morgan make an idiot out of Nasri. The twitter war would be hilarious.

I really don't think the World could put up with Morgan's ego growing even larger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Anyone else feeling pretty deflated about our possible transfer dealings this summer? I know we've gotten podolski but other than that we seem to be getting nowhere with other deals, I don't buy the twitter bs one bit.

I will be very anxious if we haven't signed people before the euros because any player we are after who plays in the euros who manages to get a decent run will get an inflated price and knowing our mentality we will not pay an inflated price.

Giroud in particular after the euros I cannot see us getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

HazDanz wrote: »
    Anyone else feeling pretty deflated about our possible transfer dealings this summer? I know we've gotten podolski but other than that we seem to be getting nowhere with other deals, I don't buy the twitter bs one bit.

I will be very anxious if we haven't signed people before the euros because any player we are after who plays in the euros who manages to get a decent run will get an inflated price and knowing our mentality we will not pay an inflated price.

Not yet, if no one is signed by the end July I wont be happy.

Sure we have Llorente coming in tomorrow :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Sure we have Llorente coming in tomorrow :P

A broken clock is right twice a day. The poor auld Twitter chaps don't even come close to reaching that consistency.

Still, might as well believe he is coming in early tomorrow morning to complete his medical, live press conference broadcasted by sky sports news to follow :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

This quote is doing the rumors on Twitter.

"I owe everything to Athletic, but PL is the ultimate goal for every footballer, & my future is with Arsenal." - Llorente

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

So Hazard is goin to the 6th best team in the league? Would have thought he'd set his sights a little higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

SDTimeout wrote: »
    This quote is doing the rumors on Twitter.

"I owe everything to Athletic, but PL is the ultimate goal for every footballer, & my future is with Arsenal." - Llorente

this is started by someone who pretends to be a journalist for the times. this is his twitter name Jamie Alexander@ JamieAlexTimes

read this
    Fernando Llorente to Arsenal rumour lights up Twitter

Social networking site starts generating its own news as Gunners tweet causes confusion
    LAST UPDATED AT 11:59 ON MON 28 MAY 2012
    IT'S A classic example of the power of social networking site Twitter, and shows that football fans no longer even need to rely on the traditional media to get worked up over a transfer rumour. Claims that Arsenal were set to sign Athletic Bilbao striker Fernando Llorente swept the Twittersphere today, with nary a word on the matter printed by newspapers or football websites.

The story appeared to kick off thanks to a tweet from Javi Gomara, a journalist at Barcelona-based sports daily Mundo Deportivo. Late on Sunday night he posted a message in Spanish on the social networking site about a rumour that was doing the rounds in Bilbao.

"They say that on Tuesday it will be announced that Fernando Llorente is going to Arsenal. It would be a huge loss," he wrote, in Spanish.

Quite where that rumour came from is unclear, and Gomara certainly didn't afford it a huge amount of credibility, but the remark prompted a meltdown in parts of north London and the expression "Llorente to Arsenal" soon became a trending topic worldwide.

And, as often happens, once the rumour was given even more oxygen by appearing on Twitter's 'trending' column, more and more people piled in asking whether it was true.

Some Arsenal fans appeared to believe it was a done deal while others said they hoped it would happen. An interview with Llorente is which he said he liked London also started doing the rounds and was presented as evidence of the rumour's truth. One wag, who pretends to be a football reporter for The Times, even made up quotes from Llorente saying he was looking forward to playing for Arsenal.

Some more sceptical fans poured opporbrium on the head of the journalist who had the temerity to say what he had heard. Other Arsenal supporters, and many from other clubs, simply scoffed at the possibility, and by doing so kept the subject trending. M4tty tweeted: "Llorente to Arsenal, if only Twitter did transfers."

With the mainstream media steering clear of the story it was left to the Arsenal bloggers to clarify matters.

The Armchair Gooner said the hoopla was "quite funny, and obviously not true". He added: "The transfer window has progressively worsened with speculation as the years have passed. Twitter's emergence has enabled even the silliest of stories to quickly gain popularity, and most of them are either taken out of context, or [are] entirely false attempts to gain a little attention."

It might not be the last we hear of Llorente this summer. The big forward could be leaving Athletic Bilbao this summer and has already been linked with £30m move to Manchester City, and given the splash he has made on Twitter the rumour mill is likely to swing into top gear. ·

Read more: http://www.theweek.co.uk/football/twitter-school/47138/fernando-llorente-arsenal-rumour-lights-twitter#ixzz1wCIjCcO3

if you go to the link click on "football reporter for The Times" to check out his twitter acc or just go here https://twitter.com/#!/JamieAlexTimes he's saying he got that quote from a press conference today for the press & the one for TV is tomorrow :pac::pac::pac: fúcking loser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Lads, FFS the window isn't even open yet . As far as I know, no one else has made any signings yet, anyone of consequence anyway and we HAVE signed Podoloski.

There is a lot of talk in the rags and even more so thanks to twitter but we should all realise by now that we probably won't make another signing until the end of July / beginning of August until we see how many of our players are injured after the Euros.

I hope I'm wrong but looking at past transfer dates, we usually don't sign people until then:

Vermalen: July 2009
    Koscielny: July 2010
    Chamakh: July 2010
    Nasri: July 2008
    Eduardo: July 2007
    Sagna: July 2007

So Hazard is goin to the 6th best team 2nd richest team in the league and a team who play silly money to overrated dross ? Would have thought he'd set his sights a little higher.

FYP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

With hazard to Chelsea
    I reckon utd will def tie up kawaga after loosing out
    I think we will put a bid in for Dempsey now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Chill out people.

No serious business will be done before the Euro's because most will involve players that are tied up in the tournament whether they're being brought in or replaced or whatever.

Hazard is a massize exception because he's not playing and Chelsea don't have to worry about finding a new home for players leaving to balance the books or anything

When does the transfer window open ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

greendom wrote: »
    When does the transfer window open ?

Usually July 1st officially but a player can be signed before that but not registered til the window is open as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

With hazard to Chelsea
    link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

gosplan wrote: »
    Chill out people.

No serious business will be done before the Euro's because most will involve players that are tied up in the tournament whether they're being brought in or replaced or whatever.

Hazard is a massize exception because he's not playing and Chelsea don't have to worry about finding a new home for players leaving to balance the books or anything

Can not chill.

everyfookin year:(

How many teams have lost as many captains as we have in such a short space of time?

We didnt go through this sh1te in the summers of the 80s and 90s.Or did we?:confused:Too young then

In my day .......

:pac::pac:Sansom drank wine with the lads in the kaf at 9am out of a teapot:eek:

Professional Athletes:pac:

Bring em back

• Advertisement

So Hazard is goin to the 6th best team in the league? Would have thought he'd set his sights a little higher.
    and joining a stoke type style of a club.

So like Mata and Torres, he will be wasted being deployed as a CB when they play 10 man behind the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Champions of Europe is pretty high tbf.
    and joining a stoke type style of a club.

So like Mata and Torres, he will be wasted being deployed as a CB when they play 10 man behind the ball

The bitterness is strong in this one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Surprise surprise we didn't get Hazard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

that fcukin twitter pisses me off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

that fcukin twitter pisses me off

your going to enjoy the next 94 days then :D

Day 1: llorente's press conference

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

With hazard to Chelsea
    link?

Sorry wasnt clear, that's just my opinion

Frisbee wrote: »
    Champions of Europe is pretty high tbf.

The bitterness is strong in this one.
    keep telling yourself that mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

keep telling yourself that mate.

Telling myself what?

That being Champions of Europe is pretty prestigious?

Or that comparing Chelsea to Stoke because they've done what we can't and actually defend and win is bitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

The whole point of signing Hazard for Chelsea is to stop the ugly style of play they have. Abramovich wants attacking football that also wins. He got defending football that won the champions league with di Matteo, and if he was happy with that, he'd have given him another contract immediately. I think they're trying to turn into the AntiStoke.

Dunno if it'll work and don't much care though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

cesc77 wrote: »

How many teams have lost as many captains as we have in such a short space of time?

Six captains in 25 years isn't too bad to be honest.

Tottenham have had over three hundred managers in that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

cesc77 wrote: »

Can not chill.

everyfookin year:(

We didnt go through this sh1te in the summers of the 80s and 90s.Or did we?:confused:Too young then

In my day .......
    There was no transfer window. Clubs could buy players whenever they wanted. IIRC there was a restriction on transfers in the last few weeks of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Six captains in 25 years isn't too bad to be honest.

Tottenham have had over three hundred managers in that time.

Ah yeah but the vast majority of that was Tony Adams.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

A quote from Missus RVP
    Arsenal showed faith in Robin when he was going through a lean time, so we should not repay them by thinking about other clubs. Our home life and our children are happy in London.

Taken from here.

Seems like RVP aint goin anywhere. good news then :)

Frisbee wrote: »
    Telling myself what?

That being Champions of Europe is pretty prestigious?

Or that comparing Chelsea to Stoke because they've done what we can't and actually defend and win is bitter?

defend what? both barca and Bayern missed sitters. if Chelsea defending as good as people say, barca and bayern would not of had any clear cut chances.

Dont mistake the opposition fluffing chances for fun as the other team defending world class.

far from it.

A quote from Missus RVP

Taken from here.

i think his just holding out for more £££ tbh.

just give the boi 150k and that should be fine.

Also throw some redicolous bonus schemes for goals he scores and games he wins for arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I thinks he's playing the waiting game so we get the finger out and get the players we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

i think his just holding out for more £££ tbh.

just give the boi 150k and that should be fine.

Also throw some redicolous bonus schemes for goals he scores and games he wins for arsenal

You've got to be joking?! It's clear there's one deciding factor in all of this, success. It's not about the money! Robin's 28. He's made his money already. Supposedly he was on 90k a week during his present contract. I'll underestimate here and say that's £4m per year. He's got to be just finishing his 3rd year on that contract, with one to go. So 4m x 3 = 12m. Then account for the contract(s) he was on from age 21-25. I'd say in that time he made £5-7m. Now add on your signing-on fees and bonuses. Got to be an extra 2-3 million at least, right?

That's over £20m in wages, and I'm pretty sure he's done a few advertising deals in his day. Do you really think he needs money? Does Robin really strike you as this kind of miser?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I thinks he's playing the waiting game so we get the finger out and get the players we need.

I may be foolishly optimistic but i agree...I reckon he plans to stay, as long as more top class recruitment is done. I'm taking the lack of comment since talks as a sign that he has told the Club that if they have signed a couple of really top class players by the time he returns from Euro's then he will stay. I don't believe he wants to go and I don't think he's too bothered about money (i.e. whatever Arsenal offer him will be enough for him) it's just he wants the club to be competitive again.

If this all plays out we will look back to this Summer as a turning point and it'll be mainly down to RVP for forcing the club to act.

You've got to be joking?! It's clear there's one deciding factor in all of this, success. It's not about the money! Robin's 28. He's made his money already. Supposedly he was on 90k a week during his present contract. I'll underestimate here and say that's £4m per year. He's got to be just finishing his 3rd year on that contract, with one to go. So 4m x 3 = 12m. Then account for the contract(s) he was on from age 21-25. I'd say in that time he made £5-7m. Now add on your signing-on fees and bonuses. Got to be an extra 2-3 million at least, right?

That's over £20m in wages, and I'm pretty sure he's done a few advertising deals in his day. Do you really think he needs money? Does Robin really strike you as this kind of miser?

u never know mate

• Advertisement

A quote from Missus RVP

Taken from here.

*Breaking news: RvP files for divorce papers.*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

His mammy said it as well and mammys know, fake ronaldo's mam said he should join madrid and he did.

Galvasean wrote: »
    *Breaking news: RvP files for divorce papers.*

lol

Has Llorente signed yet? :p

AuEa55GCEAELb23.jpg

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

to be honest i think RVP wouldn't want to move if he has to , I think he just wants assurances that next season won't be like the last, So instead of worrying about RVP's contract and moving out rubbish i think Wenger should be out there trying to get in all the players hes after (mvila, Kagawa and who ever else) RVP will sign then once he sees that kind of intent in my eyes anyway

and despite how frustrating he can be wrap up Theo for another few years too alot of people forget he has only one year too

• Advertisement

While this might seem harsh to us fans (what RvP's doing), if he successfully manages to take this club by the scruff of the neck and force AFC to compete in the transfer market and strengthen next year, he'll become a legend in my eyes.

Not because he signs, but because he was willing to put such a big ultimatum to Wenger/The Board/Whoever-the-hell-you-want and force them to change their ways that we've all complained about.

Even if this doesn't work, I'll always respect him for trying.

(Provided these are his motives that is)

Think someone might have posted this fella's name in here a few days ago (definitely someone from Anzhi anyway) so I thought I'd post this, anyone know anything about him? Apparently we were in for him last year

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7784966/Ahmedov-eyes-Arsenal-move
    Uzbekistan midfielder Odil Ahmedov is hoping Arsenal revive their interest in him this summer after revealing he is keen on joining the Gunners from Anzhi Makhachkala.

Ahmedov claimed last year Arsene Wenger's side were chasing his signature but a move to Emirates Stadium failed to materialise.

However the 24-year-old, who joined Russian giants Anzhi in February 2011 from native side Pahktakor Tashkent, has not given up on joining the Premier League club.

He told regnum.ru: "I'd like to try out playing football in England and the team I favour the most is Arsenal."

Tempted

Ahmedov, who primarily plays as a defensive midfielder but has also been used as a centre-back, says he is pleased with his progress in Russia but could be tempted by a move to La Liga or the Premier League if a club comes in for him.

"I'm satisfied with my own performance in the Russian league but if there is an offer from Spain or England then I won't say no," he added.

Ahmedov was voted Anzhi's best player of 2011, ahead of Samuel Eto'o and Yury Zhirkov.

Arsenal could see him as an alternative to Rennes holding midfielder Yann M'Vila, with whom they have been heavily linked.

Yeah, I posted about him the other day. Never heard of him before TBH, although he did get Anzhi's player of the year and they have Zhirkov and Eto'o in their team. So he can't be too bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Yeah, I posted about him the other day. Never heard of him before TBH, although he did get Anzhi's player of the year and they have Zhirkov and Eto'o in their team. So he can't be too bad!

2011 season, Stewart Downing got Villa's player of the year and they had Ashley Young and Brad Friedel in their team. So he can't be is too bad!

Just saying...

I know nothing of his quality, and this is purely speculation on my part, but, if we were in for him and the move broke down (which is what the article says), I'm going to assume that's due to the massively inflated wages of Anzhi? He'd probably have to take a big paycut to join us.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement