Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Lot of places saying hulk to Chelsea
    There gonna be there oe there abouts next season I'd say

On another note FFP my arse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

It was a nice thought. Just like us signing M'Vila and Kagawa and Hazard and winning the league next year was. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Lot of places saying hulk to Chelsea
    There gonna be there oe there abouts next season I'd say

I think PSG might be in for him too but you're right about Chelsea. They don't even know who their manager is but RA is forking out again to ensure last season's league campaign is not repeated. I think youth development is on the back burner again.

It was a nice thought. Just like us signing M'Vila and Kagawa and Hazard and winning the league next year was. :P

Still think we will get mvila and maybe Dempsey

I'm an Arsenal fan but this made me laugh. CFC sign Hazard, United in for Kagawa. Arsenal are monitoring Chinese sensation Fu-kin Noh-wan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I dont think we'll get M'Vila. There'll be a cheaper alternative somewhere that we'll go for. Maybe that Russian chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Still think we will get mvila and maybe Dempsey

I'm an Arsenal fan but this made me laugh. CFC sign Hazard, United in for Kagawa. Arsenal are monitoring Chinese sensation Fu-kin Noh-wan

We are also in for the one-legged Korean sensation Tye Won Shoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Id happily take Dempsey, quality player

I think Arsene may trim the fat from the squad and add 1 or 2 players of quality.

Overall we will have a smaller playing staff but a stronger squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Id happily take Dempsey, quality player

I think Arsene may trim the fat from the squad and add 1 or 2 players of quality.

Overall we will have a smaller playing staff but a stronger squad.

That's the last thing we need, but I have no doubt that it's exactly what'll happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

A smaller squad could work.. provided they all had unbreakable bones... and untwistable stomachs!

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    A smaller squad could work.. provided they all had unbreakable bones... and untwistable stomachs!

Its the size of the fight in the dog and not the size of the dog in the fight sure ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

keno92 wrote:
    Google translate Marouane Chamakh from French to English[

Stolen from keno in another thread. Our next transfer target.

Stolen from keno in another thread. Our next transfer target.

???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

???

When you translate "Marouane Chamakh" from English to French, it gives you "Yoann Gourcuff" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

So Hazard says Gervinho is the best player he has played with.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/7786259/Hazard-hails-Gervinho

The french league must be worse than I thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Oranage2 wrote: »

Yea like how Thierry Henry use to play in the french league.

serious, give Gevinho a chance. one season in a foreign country is not enough to prove himself.

Henry was average at best in his first season missing sitters after sitters after sitters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Oranage2 wrote: »

In fairness he was excellent in his last season with Lille and looked absolute quality. Ok he hasn't done for us yet, but I really do feel he will come good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭DenMan

We were linked with Michel Vorm not too long ago. I wonder will we go for him now what with Rodgers on his way to Liverpool right now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Underground

danlen wrote: »
    In fairness he was excellent in his last season with Lille and looked absolute quality. Ok he hasn't done for us yet, but I really do feel he will come good.

Was doing just fine up until the ACN. I think he'll have a big year next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

ACN next year too I think.

Isn't Vorm a little too good to be a second string keeper?

Yea like how Thierry Henry use to play in the french league.

serious, give Gevinho a chance. one season in a foreign country is not enough to prove himself.

Henry was average at best in his first season missing sitters after sitters after sitters

I remember it took Henry something like 7 or ten matches before his first Arsenal goal and everyone reckoned he was a lame duck signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

Galvasean wrote: »
    I remember it took Henry something like 7 or ten matches before his first Arsenal goal and everyone reckoned he was a lame duck signing.

I remember that too. He couldn't hit a pregnant hippo in his very early Arsenal career.. I can remember screaming at the telly about how **** he was aswel, one afternoon.. Also, didn't Bergkamp have a slow start to his Arsenal career?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Was doing just fine up until the ACN. I think he'll have a big year next season.
    me 2 and i i reckon ramsey will come good. if those two alone start playing like world class gems. where laughing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think Chamack lacks guts and therefore won't be a success in the EPL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Isn't Vorm a little too good to be a second string keeper?

the story was he wasn't being signed just to be second string, it was they wanted him to give szczesny competition.

He could easily take over the #1 but i'd say for the reason you mention he won't join, i think that was in the articles as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

djourou possibly going links if you go to the daily mail there's a story about a move for de jong as m'vila talks have stalled + that uzbek guy from anzhi in the same article
    Djourou looking at Emirates escape route after admitting life at Arsenal is not easy
    By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER
    PUBLISHED: 07:46 GMT, 30 May 2012 | UPDATED: 07:46 GMT, 30 May 2012
    Comments (24)

Johan Djourou is considering leaving Arsenal after admitting life at the club is not 'easy'.
    The 25-year-old centre back says he is willing to consider a move away from north London if he is presented with the right offer.
    Switzerland international coach Omar Hitzfeld stated at the weekend Djourou needs to be playing more regularly at club level to guarantee his place in the team.

Options: Johan Djourou could exit the Emirates

'My situation at Arsenal is not easy,' he told 20min.ch. 'I’ve never played so little, and especially not in my own position.'
    Laurent Koscielny and Thomas Vermaelen are the Gunners' first choice central defensive options, while Per Mertesacker adds further competition.
    Djourou has found himself put at right-back, a position he is clearly uncomfortable in.
    'If an interesting offer comes, I’ll look at it carefully,' he explained.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2151988/Johan-Djourou-considering-leaving-Arsenal.html#ixzz1wNmMNcyt

and giroud saying afters the euro's before anything done with whoever link
    Arsenal target Olivier Giroud says he will will not decide his future until after Euro 2012.

The free-scoring striker fired unfancied Montpellier to their first ever Ligue 1 title with 21 goals in 36 appearances and he is now one of Europe's most-wanted forwards.
    Emirates manager Arsene Wenger has been tracking Giroud's progress all season and has been linked with a summer bid for the striker, who is rated at around £15m.
    It has even been suggested that Arsenal have already offered Montpellier £6.5m and Morocco striker Marouane Chamakh in exchange for Giroud.
    But the 25-year-old insists he is concentrating only on competing at Euro 2012, where he could face England when they clash with France in Donetsk on June 11.
    Giroud told Le Parisien: "I am calm and I know I'm on the market.
    "But I have a contract with Montpellier and after Euro 2012 we will value the various offers and decide which is best for us all."

+ another reported target hernanes says he's not leaving lazio links

Looks like it's "wait until after the Euros and pay 60% extra" time.

Our next signing will br Dempsey I reckon

DenMan wrote: »
    We were linked with Michel Vorm not too long ago. I wonder will we go for him now what with Rodgers on his way to Liverpool right now?
    I'd be over the moon with Vorm challenging Chesney but, as Pappa Dolla said, too good for second choice.
    Which wouldn't be awful considering United are reportedly paying 20m for Kagawa if he goes. How much would Dempsey cost, 8-10m? Kagawa's certainly not twice as good IMO.

• Advertisement

DenMan wrote: »
    I'd be over the moon with Vorm challenging Chesney but, as Pappa Dolla said, too good for second choice.
    Which wouldn't be awful considering United are reportedly paying 20m for Kagawa if he goes. How much would Dempsey cost, 8-10m? Kagawa's certainly not twice as good IMO.

Say it will be tied up when he is finished playing internationals with the U.S.
    Think he will be a good signing like Arteta a hungry player coming into his peak

Afobe got man of the match for the England u19s, this fella could have a big big future with us

not next season maybe but Dempsey's only going to be around for 3 - 4 years max whereas Kagawa will be round for at least twice as long. On the other hand Dempsey is off the shelf ready, Kagawa may take some time to adjust.

greendom wrote: »

not next season maybe but Dempsey's only going to be around for 3 - 4 years max whereas Kagawa will be round for at least twice as long. On the other hand Dempsey is off the shelf ready, Kagawa may take some time to adjust.

With the batch of youngsters coming through maybe that's all we need is someone to fill the gap,

Didn't take that first point into account, keep forgetting Kagawa's only about 22/23. I don't think Kagawa will have too many problems adjusting. He adjusted to the Bundesliga as a youngfella joining from an Asian league. I can't see it affecting him too much but you never really can tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Where is everyone getting info on Dempsey coming? Twitter rumours or something more solid?

dorgasm wrote: »
    Where is everyone getting info on Dempsey coming? Twitter rumours or something more solid?

Dempsey is quoted as saying he wants Champions League football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Just going to come weighing in with some lovely pessimism lads....

Under Wenger we have never won the League title following the summer months of the World Cup Finals taking place or the European Championship Finals. We have won it in 1998, 2002 and 2004 under him.

How important is Pre-season to Wenger's set up and the success of a season?

HazDanz wrote: »
    Just going to come weighing in with some lovely pessimism lads....

Under Wenger we have never won the League title following the summer months of the World Cup Finals taking place or the European Championship Finals. We have won it in 1998, 2002 and 2004 under him.

How important is Pre-season to Wenger's set up and the success of a season?

Good question - Champions League final was 2006 as well. I've no idea if it's just a co-incidence - certainly hope so.

Good question - Champions League final was 2006 as well. I've no idea if it's just a co-incidence - certainly hope so.

My own opinion is that it must have some baring.

The fact that the season for players goes into the start of July, fatigue has to be an issue. Supposedly Wenger always gives the players an extended break after Championship Finals to give them a clear break from football and eases them back into the preparation once they've recovered but it must stall progress in terms of his tactics and how meticulous he is with drills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

Havent won the league in 8 years:confused:

Champions league was 6 years ago.:confused::confused:

Weve won feck all regardless of international tournaments

• Advertisement

cesc77 wrote: »

I thought it was an interesting point, that's all. i wondered whether it was a co-incidence. It's a worthwhile argument at least to ask why it was that we only won major honours with Wenger in seasons when there was no international tournament before hand.

Does that help with the confusion at all ?

I thought it was an interesting point, that's all. i wondered whether it was a co-incidence. It's a worthwhile argument at least to ask why it was that we only won major honours with Wenger in seasons when there was no international tournament before hand.

Does that help with the confusion at all ?

Partially:p:confused::)

With the batch of youngsters coming through maybe that's all we need is someone to fill the gap,

Exactly. Nothing wrong with a few experienced heads. Wenger made that mistake before, shipping out Pires, Gilberto etc., confident that his talented youngsters would take the torch. Unfortunately for us our teams lacked the experience that comes with age and while very talented didn't have the know how to be proper champions. A balance is needed. having the likes of Dempsey and Arteta around can only help the team.

Since the last time we won a trophy the 2007/2008 season and the 2009/2010 season were the last two season where we pushed hard for the title, the seasons with no Finals the previous summer.

We were in 1st place in the 2007/2008 season after 29 games completed of the 38 and in the 2009/2010 season we were in 1st place after the 31 games completed of the 38.

In the 2006/2007 season we never got higher than third in the league all this season. In the 2008/2009 season we were first after 5 games but after that we were consistently either third or fourth in the league (fifth for a long spell as well that year). In 2010/2011 we were 1st after 16 games completed but faded away severly in the second half of the season drawing 9 and losing 3 of the last 18 games. That's only six wins for a second half of a season. All these seasons followed a finals taking place the previous summer.

I know we haven't won anything in a while but it's still interesting to look at the stats and see how they all break down. We still consistently did better in the league on seasons with no finals haven taken place to seasons that they have. Even if we have been trophyless.

HazDanz wrote: »
    Since the last time we won a trophy the 2007/2008 season and the 2009/2010 season were the last two season where we pushed hard for the title, the seasons with no Finals the previous summer.

We were in 1st place in the 2007/2008 season after 29 games completed of the 38 and in the 2009/2010 season we were in 1st place after the 31 games completed of the 38.

In the 2006/2007 season we never got higher than third in the league all this season. In the 2008/2009 season we were first after 5 games but after that we were consistently either third or fourth in the league (fifth for a long spell as well that year). In 2010/2011 we were 1st after 16 games completed but faded away severly in the second half of the season drawing 9 and losing 3 of the last 18 games. That's only six wins for a second half of a season. All these seasons followed a finals taking place the previous summer.

I know we haven't won anything in a while but it's still interesting to look at the stats and see how they all break down. We still consistently did better in the league on seasons with no finals haven taken place to seasons that they have. Even if we have been trophyless.

No Utd or Chelsea players in the finals?(or spuds:pac:)

I appreciate your point,but they still won trophies making this a moot point,sorry

I appreciate your point,but they still won trophies making this a moot point,sorry

It's hardly a moot point when the original question was "how important is the pre-season to Wenger"

The point was specific to the importance of Wenger's time preseason with his players for preparation. You can't compare other clubs for that point.

You can argue on the fatigue part of players alright but not the relevance of Wenger having his time working with players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

me 2 and i i reckon ramsey will come good. if those two alone start playing like world class gems. where laughing

I believe Ramsey will come good. He has the talent, this year was just too much, too early for him.

He was pretty much asked to replace one of the best midfielders in the world having just spent over a year out of the game at a critical stage in his development. He has a full season under his belt now and hopefully Jack and another signing to help him shoulder that creative burden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

At 0:50 the wenger one is brilliant.

• Advertisement

I can't believe Wenger didn't try to get Gilfi Sigurdsson, was a bargain for Swansea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement