Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Djourou. :D

That's kinda how I was saying it! Is it "Gih-roo", "Gee-roo" or "Jih-roo"? I'm thinking "Gee-roo" for some reason!

dorgasm wrote: »
    I'm thinking "Gee-roo" for some reason!

Dorgasm thinking of Gee-roo, nice.:D

stuchyg wrote: »
    ^^^ Jack Wilshere ftw, if he is ever fit again
    Not an AM really. Might be able to change his game but I'd rather his first season back didn't involve trying to overhaul his entire game.
    I like the idea of Ramsey/chambo sharing the duties

I can see wilshere taking artetas spot in the long run
    I dunno, Ramsey needs to step things up a lot and I'd prefer to not have Chamberlain and a creative player, have him bomb past people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Buttonftw wrote: »
    Not an AM really. Might be able to change his game but I'd rather his first season back didn't involve trying to overhaul his entire game.
    I like the idea of Ramsey/chambo sharing the duties

I can see wilshere taking artetas spot in the long run
    I dunno, Ramsey needs to step things up a lot and I'd prefer to not have Chamberlain and a creative player, have him bomb past people.

Good shout bout chambo
    I have every faith in Ramsey we just can't flog him to death next season

I actually don't think we need an AM, especially now with these players coming in as even when RVP plays on his own up top, he does like to drop to these positions.
    Song likes to get into that position too, with Arteta, Ramsey & Rosicky prone to doing it too.

I actually don't think we need an AM, especially now with these players coming in as even when RVP plays on his own up top, he does like to drop to these positions.
    Song likes to get into that position too, with Arteta, Ramsey & Rosicky prone to doing it too.

I think we do need an AM. Part of the problem with Song last year was that without him going forward we had very little. Arteta isn't really an AM, he's a link-up player or something, don't know if there's a term for it. :pac: He's great for keeping things ticking over, settling the pace etc., but he isn't exactly creative. A midfield of him, Song and Wilshere would be a nightmate, would be a case of just giving the ball out wide and hope they can do something :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

He's not a CAM. His stats for goals and assists are just okay, season before injury he had 49 apps with 3 goals and 9 assists. He excels as a player when breaking up the play, producing really good short, direct passes rather than expansive balls that open the play. A great tackler/harrier of the ball too so I would like him to take up a similar role to what he left before his injury and not get pushed up the pitch to do a job he hasn't done before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The team may have better balance if we were to lose RVP and gain Dempsey ?

Arteta isn't really an AM, he's a link-up player or something, don't know if there's a term for it. :pac: He's great for keeping things ticking over, settling the pace etc., but he isn't exactly creative. :pac:

Only since he arrived at Arsenal, he did it at Everton.
    I don't know how many time last season Arteta was making killer passes that were just as creative as Fabregas killer balls.
    maybe he is restricting himself in a sense to be responsible in the midfield, somthing one or two others could learn.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

If we get M'Vila, we could play any of Chamberlain, Rosicky, Song and Ramsey (possibly Benayoun too) in the AM role. M'Vila, Arteta, Wilshere and Coquelin in the two deeper roles. Wilshere isn't an AM.

Finally seem to be getting the cover issue sorted. Could do with a better back up for Szczesny and ideally someone who can play anywhere across the back line.

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »

We might need to change some roles maybe but losing RvP and gaining Dempsey doesn't inspire better balance to me! :D

I know what you are saying but our team would always be worse off without RvP in the side. If he played in the hole (his natural position I think) before a strikers role he would be awesome.

It would be a great problem to have.

I like this, posted yesterday that I think we could be better without RVP

Only since he arrived at Arsenal, he did it at Everton.
    I don't know how many time last season Arteta was making killer passes that were just as creative as Fabregas killer balls.
    maybe he is restricting himself in a sense to be responsible in the midfield, somthing one or two others could learn.;)
    Did he do it much at Everton? How much of it was looking good in a midtable team? Off the top of my head he played plenty of good long balls and short balls for others to take over but I can't think of many that lead directly to a goal or how many times he'd open a deep defence.
    I could be wrong. :pac:
    gnfnrhead wrote: »
    If we get M'Vila, we could play any of Chamberlain, Rosicky, Song and Ramsey (possibly Benayoun too) in the AM role. M'Vila, Arteta, Wilshere and Coquelin in the two deeper roles. Wilshere isn't an AM.

Finally seem to be getting the cover issue sorted. Could do with a better back up for Szczesny and ideally someone who can play anywhere across the back line.
    None of them are good enough as an AM if we want to challenge for the league or CL IMO.

HazDanz wrote: »
    We might need to change some roles maybe but losing RvP and gaining Dempsey doesn't inspire better balance to me! :D

I know what you are saying but our team would always be worse off without RvP in the side. If he played in the hole (his natural position I think) before a strikers role he would be awesome.

It would be a great problem to have.

Under Wenger though?
    He loves to use players out of their natural position as we've seen so many times over his time as manager.
    RVP best position is in the hole as you say, but without a clinical finisher, he will always get the nod up top.

Did he do it much at Everton? How much of it was looking good in a midtable team? Off the top of my head he played plenty of good long balls and short balls for others to take over but I can't think of many that lead directly to a goal or how many times he'd open a deep defence.
    I could be wrong. :pac:
    You are wrong.:pac:
    He frequently got man of the match for Everton in his time and was named player of the season, and midfielder of the season, and that wasn't from doing what he's doing with us.
    That is why he gets overlooked by some fans at Arsenal, because he holds off doing what comes natural to him.

You are wrong.:pac:
    He frequently got man of the match for Everton in his time and was named player of the season, and midfielder of the season, and that wasn't from doing what he's doing with us.
    That is why he gets overlooked by some fans at Arsenal, because he holds off doing what comes natural to him.

Looking good in a mid-table team, like I said :pac:

Looking good in a mid-table team, like I said :pac:

You're just being silly & argumentative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

i really think cover for sagna (jenks just isnt at the required level yet) and another LB are needed (santos and gibbs are too unreliable) hope to god the imminent giroud signing isnt as replacement for vp. recent signs (his wife, father) seem to suggest he is going to stay (at least for next season )

You're just being silly & argumentative.

Not really. Charlie Adam was Blackpool's best player, not a top-calibre player. There's almost always a player or two per team who stand out but aren't good enough to make a step up. I'm not saying Arteta is as crap as someone like Charlie Adam but he just isn't good enough as an attacking midfielder to play that role. 3 assists in 38 matches last season speaks for itself.

• Advertisement

and another LB are needed (santos and gibbs are too unreliable) )

Good point.

Under Wenger though?
    He loves to use players out of their natural position as we've seen so many times over his time as manager.

If we have Giourd in the bag, would you like to see RvP tried in the hole for a bit and see how it turns out with the big man up top?

I know it's unlikely to happen but it would be interesting to see that partnership develop. Having RvP playing just behind Giourd would allow him more possession on the ball and he would be able to influence the game a bit more rather than getting isolated from play due to poor supply of ball like this season in some games.

If we have Giourd in the bag, would you like to see RvP tried in the hole for a bit and see how it turns out with the big man up top?

I know it's unlikely to happen but it would be interesting to see that partnership develop. Having RvP playing just behind Giourd would allow him more possession on the ball and he would be able to influence the game a bit more rather than getting isolated from play due to poor supply of ball like this season in some games.

Yes, i would.
    I think he will be way more effective in the hole (teamwise) than as a lone striker, but as i said Wenger usually sticks to his guns :D, no pun intended.
    It may all depend on Giroud and his impact as a forward, be it immediately or within a certain time frame.
    either way it's good for us Arsenal fans.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

On the subject of Arteta's performances for us last season. It was a lot of unseen work. We need something like Arteta to keep the passing machine working, he did that job and he did it well. I don't have the exact stat handy but we performed considerably worse without him in the squad. Also, the EA Player Performance Index has him #9 top performing player in the league last year. I remember reading what is considered for that index and it seems like a good indicator. http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/players/ea-sports-player-performance-index.html

Giroud
    Podolski
    RVP
    Walcott
    Wilshere-Song
    Santos-Mertesacker-Koscielny-Sagna

League in the bag :pac:

• Advertisement

First one in long time we ha a really good debate in here
    People disagreed but gave good points for there opinion
    Really enjoyed reading the different opinions people have

Till later

Buttonftw wrote: »

Giroud
    Podolski
    RVP
    Walcott
    Wilshere-Song
    Santos-Mertesacker-Koscielny-Sagna

League in the bag :pac:

Good shout bout dropping Vermalen would be open to it

dorgasm wrote: »
    On the subject of Arteta's performances for us last season. It was a lot of unseen work. We need something like Arteta to keep the passing machine working, he did that job and he did it well. I don't have the exact stat handy but we performed considerably worse without him in the squad. Also, the EA Player Performance Index has him #9 top performing player in the league last year. I remember reading what is considered for that index and it seems like a good indicator. http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/players/ea-sports-player-performance-index.html

We only won 1 league game when he wasn't playing. And that was the scrappy and fortunate 3-2 win at Albion.

The only other occasion of note where we did well without him was when he went off injured earliesh at Anfield.

And of course the 3 - 0 against Milan

Regardless, i don't think we can afford a CAM better than what we have collectively in the squad, as i said Arteta, Song, Ramsey, Wilshere & Chambo, they can all do the role individually or by movement throughout the game.
    And no point spending big money (that's what it would take, look at Hazard to Chelsea), and why waste what we have and wouldn't get game time if we were to buy.
    Having said that, i wouldn't say no to Benayoun (as he has shown impact just as a loan , even had the Arsenal mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

From the outside looking in.
    Cant believe you havent signed a defender yet - to me, your problem was conceding goals, not scoring them! (But then - at least you have cover if RVP does go)

• Advertisement

We only won 1 league game when he wasn't playing. And that was the scrappy and fortunate 3-2 win at Albion.

The only other occasion of note where we did well without him was when he went off injured earliesh at Anfield.

And of course the 3 - 0 against Milan

He was so important. He was the brain of that midfield and imo got Song off of the hook a lot of the time by holding back and making the simple passes work. I will always remember his goal against City, one of the highlights of the season for me.

Cant believe you havent signed a defender yet - to me, your problem was conceding goals, not scoring them! (But then - at least you have cover if RVP does go)

We do need additional cover in defence but the purchase of M'Vila, if it happens, will improve our defence no end. Our very own Makelele. Our no1 back 5 is pretty decent - they just didn't get much protection last season.

Ah sure, samba soccer and all that! :p

He was so important. He was the brain of that midfield and imo got Song off of the hook a lot of the time by holding back and making the simple passes work. I will always remember his goal against City, one of the highlights of the season for me.

I'm glad some fans see how important he is for us even though he isn't as attack minded as he was with Everton, and the fact that he is still having such an influence on statistics and our performances makes me proud (of him & Wenger for getting him when we did):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Wilshere wouldnt need to change his game to be an AM, all through youth level football this was his position, his one season with us was spent as a deeper lying midfielder as a ploy by AW to give him a deeper understanding of the midfield role at Prem level

Bendtner just saved Denmark ;)
    Lads I think we can sell RVP now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Bendtner on a hatrick aginst Portugal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Another couple mill to his transfer value, good lad Nick

Another couple mill to his transfer value, good lad Nick

He'll want a couple of noughts added onto his salary demands tho'. We'll never get rid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Spuds looking for a new manager again as Harry departs. This should lead to a new period of instability and I predict that they will finish well outside of the Top 4 next season. Some of their better players may follow Harry too wherever he goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Spurs will do a Liverpool next season mid table Modric and co will definitly leave now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

We should keep Bendtner. There I said it. If our striking options next season are RvP, Podolski, Giroud and Bendtner, we'll do ok.

Spuds looking for a new manager again as Harry departs. This should lead to a new period of instability and I predict that they will finish well outside of the Top 4 next season. Some of their better players may follow Harry too wherever he goes.

13th Spurs manager that Arsene has sent packing !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I'm hoping he doesn't mention us because last time he swore he wouldn't go to and manage a rival club didn't work out so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Was delighted for Van Persie last night. I celebrated his goal like it was an Arsenal goal...think the pressure of playing for Holland was starting to affect him.

Delighted for Redknapp.
    He can finally further his career now.:D

Dutch team were awful last night, RVP did ok, looked like they don't like each other much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

I've always suspected that the awful squad system Sp*rs had under Redknapp had would come crashing down. Hopefully, now that he's gone, it will.

They're complete lack of concern about player wages and happiness could never last. They've blown millions upon millions on wages of players who never get starting (you lads think we're bad) and I really hope that comes and bites them on the ass now.

Having missed out on the waft of money that is CL football and the attraction of CL football, I can't see them signing anyone decent and I really can't see them holding on the Modric and maybe Bale.

They'll return to a mid-table team and we'll return to being able to celebrate St. Totteringham's Day nice and early again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Story on Sky Sports News about Ivan Gazidis telling Arsenal fans to "expect good news" soon.
    We are also talking to people in this summers transfer market, I think there will be something exciting for our fans to be happy about.

For some reason (maybe it's pure optimism), this strikes me more as M'Vila than Giroud.

Think about it, the club said nothing about the signing of Poldi for 11m, why would they uncharacteristically come out and say this about a player who's only 2m dearer?

It sounds to me like: "Arsenal fans, expect our transfer record to be smashed"

Well Gazidis...impress us! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Nah it'll just be the usual, the unveiling of diaby and willshere, they're practically 2 new signings.

Actually anyone hear anything about Diabys agent telling fenerbache to go in for diaby as he's unhappy at arsenal. How can he be unhappy, he's gets his game when not injured.

• Advertisement

Diaby probably wants more money as a lot of them do.
    The way Gazidis is talking we are going to sign Benzema.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement