Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

It's not a matter of spending, it's a matter of letting every single great player we had leave.

And as for his statement, Van Persie has made clear his ambitions for the club and the board "disagree on the way Arsenal should move forward". If that's not obvious to you then I don't know what to tell you.

Unlike you, I don't blame RvP at all. (i refer to your idiotic post on the last page)
    He was entirely in the right and I'm glad he's brought the board's incompetence into the public light.

I say fair play, Robin. Tell them what idiots they're being.
    Van Persie made it clear that he's after as much money as he can get, that's all this statement achieves. As for letting players go, Fabregas was dying to leave and clearly so is RVP. He's said right there in the statement he has no interest in staying so what exactly is the board supposed to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

How much would we need to spend for you to support the board and what exactly from Van Persie's self-serving statement backs up your post?

It's not a matter of spending, it's a matter of letting every single great player we had leave.

And as for his statement, Van Persie has made clear his ambitions for the club and the board "disagree on the way Arsenal should move forward". If that's not obvious to you then I don't know what to tell you.

Unlike you, I don't blame RvP at all. (i refer to your idiotic post on the last page)
    He was entirely in the right and I'm glad he's brought the board's incompetence into the public light.

Stupid post
    One good season and he dictates to wenger how to move the club forward
    Was he worried about the club going forward when he was in the treatment table
    Is signing two players before the window opens not showing ambition

I have no I'll will towards RVP but don't fall for the P.R, statement he released either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I wouldnt blame the board or Wenger for this at all its not lack of ambition its purely down to money and Van Persies ego which has been widely reported during the Euros in the Holland squad. He claims to love have respect for the club my arse.

No ambition Podolski was signed way before any talks had taken place and that wa s a sign of great intent and ambition by the board to wrap that signing up early showing ambition.

This is another player like Nasri who performs for one year, in Nasris case not even a full year and having there heads turned and turning there back on the people who supported them, carved them into the players they are and im not talking about the fans im talking about Wenger and his coaching staff shame on Van Persie well see how well he does next year guarantee he wont be half as good. Sell him now I no longer wnat to see him an Arsenal jersey or associated with the club. after all those injuries and baren season this is how he repays that faith in the club and fans. He can take his ego and see if he can fit it in at City, Barca etc dressing rooms and see how he gets on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Anyone else worried about Walcott now? Worst case scenario: RVP to City and Walcott to Chelsea (who've long been linked to him). If that happened I'd just crawl into a hole and die, or something to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

He would say that though, wouldn't he?

He was hardly going to say 'I'm off for a payday'.

Even though he is.

He also appears to have unilaterally broke the relaqtionship with Arsenal, if, as the BBC reports the club is taken by surprise.
    So, he went behind the back of the manager and the board.

And in doing this, he has damaged his re-sale value, and by extension improved his personal terms at his next club.

But yes, you take his side. He's the good guy here. Poor Robin, all he ever wanted to do was play football for his beloved Arsenal, his desires thwarted by the nasty club with no ambition.

Your naiveity is laughable. You'd swallow anything if you swallow Van Persie's self-serving tripe.

He can go and **** himself for all I care after today. I was expecting him to leave, but hoped it would be an orderly departure and we could maximise our transfer income.

Not so.

Not even Nasri behaved like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Van Persie made it clear that he's after as much money as he can get, that's all this statement achieves. As for letting players go, Fabregas was dying to leave and clearly so is RVP. He's said right there in the statement he has no interest in staying so what exactly is the board supposed to do?

What the hell are you blathering on about? No on genuinely believes this is about money. Do you know why? It's not! Van Persie has made his money. He's been in top flight football for what, 8-9 years now?

He wants to be at a club that displays ambition; the absolute opposite of AFC. I don't blame him at all and I genuinely hope he achieves his own personal ambition.

He tried to change Arsenal for the better, he failed (not through his own fault)...but he tried. And I applaud him for that. A genuine club captain.

What the hell are you blathering on about? No on genuinely believes this is about money. Do you know why? It's not! Van Persie has made his money. He's been in top flight football for what, 8-9 years now?

He wants to be at a club that displays ambition; the absolute opposite of AFC. I don't blame him at all and I genuinely hope he achieves his own personal ambition.

He tried to change Arsenal for the better, he failed (not through his own fault)...but he tried. And I applaud him for that. A genuine club captain.

I didn't think I'd lol while discussing this news but you did it, well done.

You know whether Van Persie believes he has made enough money?

You couldn't know that. You just couldn't.

So spare us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

i'd be interested to see what his plans for Arsenal were. The club has already spent over 20 million and the transfer window has only just opened. It looks like there will be more spending too. in fact that statement may prejudice further transfers if potential targets buy into what he had to say.

Basically I'm smelling a huge pile of BS. if he was genuine in his love for the club, the statement could have waited until he he'd left the club

I'm just wondering exactly what he tried to do to change the club for the better or what his idea of that is. As soon as the club signs two decent-level strikers he says he wants to leave. So what exactly is he trying to change at the club?

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    i'd be interested to see what his plans for Arsenal were. The club has already spent over 20 million and the transfer window has only just opened. It looks like there will be more spending too. in fact that statement may prejudice further transfers if potential targets buy into what he had to say.Basically I'm smelling a huge pile of BS. if he was genuine in his love for the club, the statement could have waited until he he'd left the club

Exactly.

But thanks Robin, you're the best!

I didn't think I'd lol while discussing this news but you did it, well done.

Ah yes sorry, lets bathe in your insightful comments on the subject:
    If we can't get at least 10 million park his arse on the bench. If we're winning a match easily put him on with a few minutes to go and take him back off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I have to say your posts are getting laughable now

"he tried to change arsenal for the better"
    "a genuine club captain"

A come on, I love sensible good debate with different opinions, but then two statements are laughable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Fcukin disaster lads just after reading the news about RVP. I dont know what to say but despite all yer arguing about the clubs ambitions etc etc there must be something seriously wrong with the way the club is run. Weve lost some great players in the past few seasons so it cant be the players all the time who are wrong.

Fine, I give up. I'll let you all continue with your unending bitterness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Just waiting for Juventus to put in another derisory offer of 49 pence and a half eaten Mars bar.

It might be bitter, but at least its grounded in reality.

Straight swap for Andy Carroll anyone?

I'd rather be bitter towards a player that no longer wishes to play for us, rather than to the club I'll still be supporting after he's gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

Sergio wrote: »
    Fcukin disaster lads just after reading the news about RVP. I dont know what to say but despite all yer arguing about the clubs ambitions etc etc there must be something seriously wrong with the way the club is run. Weve lost some great players in the past few seasons so it cant be the players all the time who are wrong.

Got to agree with this.

Something seriously wrong if our best players leave every summer without fail!

Havent won anything since 2005......

The only players that want to stay are the dummies we are paying massive wages to due to our bananas wage structure. Think the club have recognised this but it'll take years to get rid of all the overpaid dross.

Who can blame RVP....who could blame Fab or Nasri or Henry before them.

It seems giving players the captaincy simply earmarks them to leave next.

Disaster again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

The day after Wenger turns down the France job for another time. He's been approached by top clubs around Europe and has stayed with Arsenal. That is loyalty.

One player is not bigger than the club. Robin Van Persie leaving will not mean we will fall apart. We improved on last season after losing Cesc Nasri and Jack to injury. I'm just a little disappointed with how he has blindsided the club with the statement but also a little worried how he felt the club weren't moving in the right direction.

After 8 years with the club. 1 injury free campaign ( admittedly an amazing season ) and he wants out. It's a disgrace. I wonder how much he cost Arsenal in wages when he was injured and not playing.

What has gotten into footballers heads that makes them think they have any say in the club, who pay them extortionate wages as it is, should be run.

The mentality of a footballer is gone to sh!t imo and there are very few honest ones left in the game.

Verm / Sagna for captain by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

What do ye reckon ye'll get for RVP lads?? Worse case scenario he stays in the EPL for all of ye I imagine?

gavredking wrote: »
    What do ye reckon ye'll get for RVP lads?? Worse case scenario he stays in the EPL for all of ye I imagine?

Given that he's confirmed he's not hanging around I'd be surprised if we could even get £10million for him. I'd guess City or Barcelona will absorb him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

It's long been reported that he agreed to join City back in March & has agreed his £225k a week.

Reckon Arsenal will get £20m for him.

tbh im not to pushed on who he goes to now as I really dont think hell be the same player next year at any club as he was with Arsenal this year. I could end up ating my words but I doubt it. I just want him gone now.

• Advertisement

A fully functioning RVP with 25 plus goals would be worth an awful lot of money for Arsenal. We shouldn't think of selling for less than 20 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

greendom wrote: »
    A fully functioning RVP with 25 plus goals would be worth an awful lot of money for Arsenal. We shouldn't think of selling for less than 20 million.

It would be madness to do otherwise.

I hope he does leave the league rather then bolster Citys attack TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Just sell him to bayern Munich....

I hope he does leave the league rather then bolster Citys attack TBH.

Do yous want him? 35 mil he's yours :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

SDTimeout wrote: »
    The day after Wenger turns down the France job for another time. He's been approached by top clubs around Europe and has stayed with Arsenal. That is loyalty.

One player is not bigger than the club. Robin Van Persie leaving will not mean we will fall apart. We improved on last season after losing Cesc Nasri and Jack to injury. I'm just a little disappointed with how he has blindsided the club with the statement but also a little worried how he felt the club weren't moving in the right direction.

After 8 years with the club. 1 injury free campaign ( admittedly an amazing season ) and he wants out. It's a disgrace. I wonder how much he cost Arsenal in wages when he was injured and not playing.

What has gotten into footballers heads that makes them think they have any say in the club, who pay them extortionate wages as it is, should be run.

The mentality of a footballer is gone to sh!t imo and there are very few honest ones left in the game.

Verm / Sagna for captain by the way.

Even though i agree with some of your points i think RVP has made alot of money for the club especailly the season just gone as there was no way we would of qualified for the CL with out the goals Robin got for us this season.
    The CL has massive financial gain for all the clubs who play in it.

Sergio wrote: »
    Even though i agree with some of your points i think RVP has made alot of money for the club especailly the season just gone as there was no way we would of qualified for the CL with out the goals Robin got for us this season.
    The CL has massive financial gain for all the clubs who play in it.

I'm not buying it, the same way I'm not buying the without RVP goals we would have finished 16th.

HazDanz wrote: »

Sssshhhh Roman is liable to do something like offer £30million + sturridge for him. :p

I'm not buying it, the same way I'm not buying the without RVP goals we would have finished 16th.

Maybe not finished 16th but do you think we would have got champions league football without him this year?

Sssshhhh Roman is liable to do something like offer £30million + sturridge for him. :p

I suggest a Roman styled yacht for Wenger also to ease the conversion to a feeder club.

Maybe not finished 16th but do you think we would have got champions league football without him this year?

I'm being serious, there is a genuine stat that without his goals i.e we would have dropped points without him scoring we would have finished 16th.

What I'm not buying is the clubs ambitions.
    They quite clearly bought Podolski & Giroud as replacements for RVP.
    As happy as I am to see them in an Arsenal shirt, it makes me concede defeat before the season kicks off.
    They should sell him now and at least re-enforce the squad before the end of August, and we know that probably will not happen because this is Wenger and Gazidis' way.
    RVP is quite clearly telling us in a nice way that he doesn't believe we will win anything with our current ambitions/policies.
    Good luck to him and hope he wins whatever with whoever.
    With regards to Gazidis & the board, I hope it comes back to bite the arse off them.:)

I'm being serious, there is a genuine stat that without his goals i.e we would have dropped points without him scoring we would have finished 16th.

Not sure on the stat but give another striker the chances RvP had they would have bagged a few I'd imagine and we would have achieved 7th or 8th. It was the ones where most strikers would have failed to score that got us the champions league spot.

RVP 11 your going have to change your username I reckon. :p

RVP 11 wrote: »
    What I'm not buying is the clubs ambitions.
    They quite clearly bought Podolski & Giroud as replacements for RVP.
    As happy as I am to see them in an Arsenal shirt, it makes me concede defeat before the season kicks off.
    They should sell him now and at least re-enforce the squad before the end of August, and we know that probably will not happen because this is Wenger and Gazidis' way.
    RVP is quite clearly telling us in a nice way that he doesn't believe we will win anything with our current ambitions/policies.
    Good luck to him and hope he wins whatever with whoever.
    With regards to Gazidis & the board, I hope it comes back to bite the arse off them.:)

Im not disagreeing with the rest of your post just the bit in bold, Giroud could be argued as bing bought as RVPs replacement but Podolski was done and dusted long before last season ended which was done before the club or Wenger knew RVP,s intentions which to me and should have done to him hown drive and ambition from the club to buy such a high profile player.

It makes his lack of ambition BS stink that bit more.

• Advertisement

The board is an easy target though in all this in fairness. Giroud and Podolski are too very good signings that could turn out great for us and maybe they have one or two more up their sleeve. Also, they didn't expect this from RvP.

Gazidis already said that with regards to money they are tied to the emirates deal until 2014 and we won't be able to expand the club commercially as much as they want until then. Make of that what you want but we are going to be on a rocky road for a while yet.

Im not disagreeing with the rest of your post just the bit in bold, Giroud could be argued as bing bought as RVPs replacement but Podolski was done and dusted long before last season ended which was done before the club or Wenger knew RVP,s intentions which to me and should have done to him hown drive and ambition from the club to buy such a high profile player.

It makes his lack of ambition BS stink that bit more.

We were all worried long before Podolski arrived that RVP would be lured away by either money or trophies so I don't buy your almost Nasri style analysis of RVP.

Arsenal Football Club has issued the following statement with regard to Robin van Persie's future:
    "

We have to respect Robin's decision not to renew his contract. Robin has one year to run on his current contract and we are confident that he will fulfil his commitments to the Club.
    "We are planning with ambition and confidence for next season with Arsenal's best interests in mind."

confident?

The board is an easy target though in all this in fairness. Giroud and Podolski are too very good signings that could turn out great for us and maybe they have one or two more up their sleeve. Also, they didn't expect this from RvP.

Gazidis already said that with regards to money they are tied to the emirates deal until 2014 and we won't be able to expand the club commercially as much as they want until then. Make of that what you want but we are going to be on a rocky road for a while yet.

They could also turn out to be Chamakh And Rosicky.
    We are losing a world class forward to a player who couldn't cut it in Germany and one who did well in France, like Chamakh.
    I don't want to slate either of them, but I'm certainly not going to say they are fine replacements for RVP.

confident?

We are in the denial stage at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

"Robin van Persie created 92 of Arsenal’s 504 chances on the season. He contributed 9 goal assists. Coupled with his 30 goals, he accounted for 39 of their 74 – 52.7%. The reliance on van Persie has to be worrying as Arsenal contemplate life without him. Even more worrying for Arsene Wenger will be his side’s poor shooting accuracy and chance conversion once van Persie’s statistics are discounted.

The 92 chances created by van Persie was far and away the most chances created by any member of the squad. Far behind RvP were Arteta (60), Ramsey (55) and Song (46). Similarly, his 30 goals are more than the next three players in the squad combined as Theo Walcott’s 8 were second best, while Arteta and Toman Vermaelen added 6 apiece. Van Persie, in fact, could have scored a few more with just a touch more luck as he hit the woodwork 10 times.
    "

More

Sorry to say this but Arsenal is going to have a very difficult year.

They could also turn out to be Chamakh And Rosicky.
    We are losing a world class forward to a player who couldn't cut it in Germany and one who did well in France, like Chamakh.
    I don't want to slate either of them, but I'm certainly not going to say they are fine replacements for RVP.

Not replacements I agree. I don't think you can replace him or lure someone of his quality to the club atm.

Podolski got 18 goals in 31 games for FC Koln. Thats not bad for a team that got relegated.

Giroud is after coming off of a brilliant French season and I understand your reservations towards french players after our more recent efforts but he could be the real deal.

New era for the club, it will be very interesting to see how things turn out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Straight swap for Torre's ;)

Not replacements I agree. I don't think you can replace him or lure someone of his quality to the club atm.

Podolski got 18 goals in 31 games for FC Koln. Thats not bad for a team that got relegated.

Giroud is after coming off of a brilliant French season and I understand your reservations towards french players after our more recent efforts but he could be the real deal.

New era for the club, it will be very interesting to see how things turn out.
    Problem is, money isn't the issue.
    Other teams below us brought in players with abiltity for next to nothing.
    Wenger has said in his blog he will do everything to get RVP to finish his career off with us and in the same blog he mentions he doesn't like "simple goal scorers".(Chamakh lol)
    That just baffles me.
    The frenchman has me believing he's after personal glory, not club glory.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

He's clearly going to City.

The timing of it is good at least; gives us plenty of time to sign someone, assuming Wenger wishes to do so - You'd have to hope that the club being blind-sided by this means that they genuinely did plan to go into next season with van Persie at the club.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement