Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Problem is, money isn't the issue.
    Other teams below us brought in players with abiltity for next to nothing.
    Wenger has said in his blog he will do everything to get RVP to finish his career off with us and in the same blog he mentions he doesn't like "simple goal scorers".
    That just baffles me.
    The frenchman has me believing he's after personal glory, not club glory.

Wenger is after personal glory? Are you serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Wahey, finally a move in the transfer market for Arsenal.. albeit, in the wrong direction but at least this thread is back up the top of the page!

TO THE INTERNET!!1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

At least ye have a lovely shiny new stadium.

HazDanz wrote: »
    Wenger is after personal glory? Are you serious?

Why it so hard to believe that someone who's job is safer than houses at the moment wouldn't be interested in keeping the club in the green whilst looking to find one gem ala RVP.
    Wenger couldn't understand supporters complaining last season lol.

And you can insult me all you want, I've heard it all with you bitter ****es in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Sergio wrote: »
    Even though i agree with some of your points i think RVP has made alot of money for the club especailly the season just gone as there was no way we would of qualified for the CL with out the goals Robin got for us this season.
    The CL has massive financial gain for all the clubs who play in it.

I'm not buying it, the same way I'm not buying the without RVP goals we would have finished 16th.
    People forgot who setup rvp for most of his goals. I some were tap ins and reckon Chamakh could have easily banged close to 20 goals for us if he was at the end of those chances created by others

• Advertisement

People forgot who setup rvp for most of his goals. I some were tap ins and reckon Chamakhcould have easily banged close to 20 goals for us if he was at the end of those chances created by others

Pfffffffttttttttttt

People forgot who setup rvp for most of his goals. I some were tap ins and reckon Chamakh could have easily banged close to 20 goals for us if he was at the end of those chances created by others

Eh.. no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Nope because the movement he does to get into the box is what makes the goals.

If Chamakh did that he would fall over..

Eh.. no!
    Chamakh that bad?

Eh.. no!
    Chamakh that bad?
    Sack wenger? The board?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I'm totally gutted about this.

But in my guts i knew he was going to leave.

RIP RVP, you're dead to me now.

Things will certainly be interesting next year, here's hoping that Giroud and Podolski can do a job for us.

Why it so hard to believe that someone who's job is safer than houses at the moment wouldn't be interested in keeping the club in the green whilst looking to find one gem ala RVP.
    Wenger couldn't understand supporters complaining last season lol.

And you can insult me all you want, I've heard it all with you bitter ****es in here.

Wenger loves Arsenal, the man wants nothing more in terms of his managing career than to have them winning leagues and cups again. He's been offered much better jobs, (the french job this summer being one of them) since he has been at Arsenal and has kept with the club.

And who's insulting you? Bit of a mad outburst there. :confused:

Sack wenger? The board?

You sang that tune yourself for months on AVF jonney, just saying.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Odd time to lose patience with Wenger/the board - they had no control over this, and for me have done good work thus far this summer. I suppose you could say if they'd done their jobs properly in previous years it wouldn't have come to this, but then surely you should have lost patience with them back then?

I'm struggling to care about this piece of news tbh.

Sack wenger? The board?

You sang that tune yourself for months on AVF jonney, just saying.
    I'm asking u and everyone else the question lol. Just saying

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

RVP statement " I'm not signing you have to sell me

Arsenal statement " no we don't your staying "

Buckle up this could drag out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So onwards and upwards - who do we replace him with.
    Dempsey ?
    Dzeko would be surplus to requirements at City if RVP does end up there - would he be a good fit ?
    Belhanda at Montpellier to revive his partnership with Giroud ?

Here's a thought to make everyone want to vomit - van Persie goes to City, with Adebayor going the opposite way.

I'm struggling to care about this piece of news tbh.

Well if this bit of news doesn't bother you Mike, you're supporting the right club! :pac:

greendom wrote: »
    Dempsey ?
    Dzeko would be surplus to requirements at City if RVP does end up there - would he be a good fit ?

Dempsey def, but with Afobe and Campbell going in loan we need another striker in

• Advertisement

RVP statement " I'm not signing you have to sell me

Arsenal statement " no we don't your staying "

Buckle up this could drag out

It's going to get spaghetti western for the next while that's for sure. Club have to nullify the importance of RvP's opinion and be defiant on him not leaving to get the best deal possible. The less influence RvP has on the deal from now on the better. He's played his ace card not much else he can do.
    Dempsey ?

Will we change formation now that he is gone to facilitate the loss? Wenger doesn't like 4-4-2 so I don't know what he is going to do. Giroud as the target man in our current system and get in a CAM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'd rather be bitter towards a player that no longer wishes to play for us, rather than to the club I'll still be supporting after he's gone.
    We will all be supporting the club BUT you have to ask yourself why this same situation is continuing year in year out. I actually felt worse with the news when it was announced that Fabregas was leaving as he had good seasons every year.

Why did the board come out with statements that they were not interested in selling RVP only yesterday? I suspect that negotiations were not going well and they tried to browbeat him with that kind of talk -
    http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d7V79?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=arsenal

It is more than coincidence that every year we lose our captain and best player. That to me is indeed lack of ambition and is obviously the same to these players as they see it all the time. Right, we did buy two players already but that to me makes me think that they were bought more to replace RVP than to assist him. If so then the Board might have suspected it would end like this a long time ago.
    There is a stink of lack of ambition at the Emirates for several years now and the players are leaving because of it. RVP has now come out and said it.

Wenger likes 4-4-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

He's obviously going for the money (reports of over 220k a week) being offered by Manchester City and the ''lack of ambition by the club'' is just a PR stunt that the more gullible fan will eat up and blame Wenger for.

I love watching Arsenal play and Van Persie is one of my favourite strikers around, but I think Arsenal will be fine. Giroud is a decent striker and Podolski will chip in too. Walcott has started to become more productive and Oxlaide-Chamberlain will get more playing time. Your goalkeeper and back line is decent when everyone is fully fit and Song and Wilshere in the centre of midfield give a nice balance.

I couldn't see Arsenal challenging for the league this season with or without Van Persie anyway. United and City are still a level above and I guess the aim would have been and still is Champions League qualification while trying to win a cup. That is still very much achievable.

Remember that before last season RVP had only played started 111 games in 7 seasons, hardly a fantastic fitness record either. I understand how disappointing it is to lose a goalscorer that claimed to love the club etc but getting £20m + for a player in the last year of his deal isn't bad business all things considered.

There's no one player bigger than the club.

Another important and oft under-considered factor is that Wilshere will be returning next season. Whether he'll pick up where he left off remains to be seen but irregardless, if any of our rivals signed him this summer they'd be wetting themselves.

Makes ya wonder about juve's 8 million bid, did they no this statement was coming

Wenger likes 4-4-2.

He said this recently about the 4-4-2 which I thought was telling.

This tournament has shown as well that the two strikers have disappeared. Every team plays with only one striker and a congested midfield.
    This tournament is the official killer of the 4-4-2 and we have assisted the creation, internationally, of a congested midfield where everybody comes very quickly when they lose the ball, and they drop back very quickly to stop counter-attacks.

Sorry it was a bad choice of words should have said he isn't in favor of it anymore with how the game is played these days.

He says a lot of stuff. The other day I saw him interviewed saying 4-4-2 was his favourite formation. All depends on the personnel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

I want the club to treat him like **** if we can't make decent money on a sale this summer.

Are you serious? Grow up FFS, this is football.

This sort of thing happens all the time, player has advisors in his ear, sees payday opportunity,decides to leave.

I'm not at all surprised by the news today, emotional involvement in footballers invariably leads to disappointment. I hold no grudges towards RVP, he is a footballer, it's what they do.

• Advertisement

He says a lot of stuff. The other day I saw him interviewed saying 4-4-2 was his favourite formation. All depends on the personnel.

Maybe he doesn't really want RvP to stay :p

The important bit of RVP's statement clearly blames the lack of ambition of the Board and not Wenger -

"This was a meeting about the club's future strategy and their policy. Financial terms or a contract have not been discussed, since that is not my priority at all.
    "I personally have had a great season but my goal has been to win trophies with the team and to bring the club back to its glory days.

"Out of my huge respect for Mr Wenger, the players and the fans I don't want to go into any details, but unfortunately in this meeting it has again become clear to me that we in many aspects disagree on the way Arsenal FC should move forward."

He couldn't have made it much plainer now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

inforfun wrote: »
    "Robin van Persie created 92 of Arsenal’s 504 chances on the season. He contributed 9 goal assists. Coupled with his 30 goals, he accounted for 39 of their 74 – 52.7%. The reliance on van Persie has to be worrying as Arsenal contemplate life without him. Even more worrying for Arsene Wenger will be his side’s poor shooting accuracy and chance conversion once van Persie’s statistics are discounted.

The 92 chances created by van Persie was far and away the most chances created by any member of the squad. Far behind RvP were Arteta (60), Ramsey (55) and Song (46). Similarly, his 30 goals are more than the next three players in the squad combined as Theo Walcott’s 8 were second best, while Arteta and Toman Vermaelen added 6 apiece. Van Persie, in fact, could have scored a few more with just a touch more luck as he hit the woodwork 10 times.
    "

More

Sorry to say this but Arsenal is going to have a very difficult year.

I hate this kind of BS that is rolled out saying that Arsenal are a one man team and without RVP we would have finished 16th or some other **** like that.

If RVP hadn't been playing up front for us, we would have had someone else up there, it's not as if we would have been just playing with 10 men.

What is even more likely though, is that we would have had a completely different formation that would have suited the style of player we had. And I also have no doubt that we would have been able to buy a different striker before the season started or at least during the panic phase last August.

Others have tried doing the same comparison with Messi and Barca. If Messi hadn't been playing, Barca would have finished 6th, if you assume that his replacement didn't score any goals and didn't provide any assists. Source.

However, like with van Persie/Arsenal, there would have been a replacement who at the very least would have been supplying some goals and assists, perhaps having the same net effect.

Overall, I am disappointed that van Persie is leaving, but we will get on with the job without him, much the same as we did without Fabergas/Nasri. I remember when Nasri was leaving he said something similar about the club not showing any ambition by buying players throughout the transfer window and I actually thought that it was a fair point and if there had been some movement he would have stayed i.e. he was trying to get the board to buy players and if they had he would have happily stayed.

This is clearly not the case with van Persie though, as the players have been bought and we still finished 3rd with a few injury crises this year. I don't know what his actual reasons are, but they are not what he is saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

The important bit of RVP's statement clearly blames the lack of ambition of the Board and not Wenger -

"This was a meeting about the club's future strategy and their policy. Financial terms or a contract have not been discussed, since that is not my priority at all.
    "I personally have had a great season but my goal has been to win trophies with the team and to bring the club back to its glory days.

"Out of my huge respect for Mr Wenger, the players and the fans I don't want to go into any details, but unfortunately in this meeting it has again become clear to me that we in many aspects disagree on the way Arsenal FC should move forward."

He couldn't have made it much plainer now.

Or he's just full of it. Announcing it by himself pretty much says it all if that's the way it went down.

With Giroud and Pod added, and RVP to lead the team, we were looking fantastic for next year. People here were saying maybe sign m'vila and then everyone would have been happy. Seriously, some people here wanted Dempsey as a squad player but beyond that there was no wish list for the first time in years.

What exactly did he want? Was that team not good enough to challenge for honours?

He will not come out of this well with arsenal fans. People using this as a stick to beat winger and the board should ask themselves what exactly was RVP looking for.

Maybe he's doing a Wayne Rooney...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Only he knows what his reasons are but i dont think they are far away from the reasons he wrote about.

Dont forget he is 28, has 1 big contract in him and i cant blame him for wanting that contract at a club where he can actually win things.
    I saw him when he was 18 at Feyenoord and knew he was something else. He played 2 seasons for Feyenoord and basically won his only big price there, the UEFA cup. And he won an FA cup at Arsenal in 8 years.

The FA cup is probably the nicest national cup to win but it is still only a national cup.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    Or he's just full of it. Announcing it by himself pretty much says it all if that's the way it went down.

With Giroud and Pod added, and RVP to lead the team, we were looking fantastic for next year. People here were saying maybe sign m'vila and then everyone would have been happy.

What exactly did he want? Was that team not good enough to challenge for honours?

He will not come out of this well with arsenal fans. People using this as a stick to beat winger and the board should ask themselves what exactly was RVP looking for.

He didn't blame Wenger at all, on the contrary. His statement seems to be aimed at the Board. Maybe the signings didn't fill him with confidence. I don't know. But I do know that this is the umpteenth year that we have lost our key player and that cannot be a coincidence.

He didn't blame Wenger at all, on the contrary. His statement seems to be aimed at the Board. Maybe the signings didn't fill him with confidence. I don't know. But I do know that this is the umpteenth year that we have lost our key player and that cannot be a coincidence.

If our best players make it a self-fulfilling cycle then there's nothing you, I, Wenger or the board can do about it.

Yeah, other teams pay more. It's his club ambition bullsh1t that grates with me. He was only going to be ther for 3 more years and if no-one left we really have the squad for those years.

What is annoying me the most is we always get to within reach of a league winning team and then we sell off the key components of the squad rather than bolstering up to provide enough quality cover.

It's only July so I'm not going to jump the gun but it wouldn't surprise me if we don't get cover in and become over reliant on Giroud up front this season like we were for RvP last season.

gosplan wrote: »
    Yeah, other teams pay more. It's his club ambition bullsh1t that grates with me. He was only going to be ther for 3 more years and if no-one left we really have the squad for those years.

I think we would have had a great squad too (with a proper LB also added) but obviously he didn't and felt we were still too weak. I am sure there will be a lot more to this story in the near future. The timing seems to be significant.

• Advertisement

I think we would have had a great squad too (with a proper LB also added) but obviously he didn't and felt we were still too weak. I am sure there will be a lot more to this story in the near future. The timing seems to be significant.

Agreed, it'll be very telling where he ends up too.

I am sure there will be a lot more to this story in the near future.

Like him purposely making his position untenable so he can pick up more cash elsewhere?

Like him purposely making his position untenable so he can pick up more cash elsewhere?

He will get more cash wherever he goes and he knows this.
    I would have cashed in on him anyway as he will be worth nothing to us next season. For all we know the whole lot of them could have got together and planned this as a way out for him.
    I'm not too worried about him leaving as we only got one good year out of him anyway. He could get injured in his first game with his new club and be out all season anyway. We should sign another striker and a LB with the money we get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Anyone else worried about Walcott now? Worst case scenario: RVP to City and Walcott to Chelsea (who've long been linked to him). If that happened I'd just crawl into a hole and die, or something to that effect.

yes signing walcott up now has to be the priority - a lot of you don't think much of him but he'd be a big enough loss, especially at his age too

also barca's interest in vermaelen is upping again - very hard team to turn down & I don't think anyone can ever use the "He'll not leave the club, he loves it too much" line again for any foreigner or nearly anyone, bar maybe the boys that are from london, arsenal supporters & been there since 7/8/9.

if them two left along with RVP we'd be looking for the paddles, there's no telling how podolski & giroud will settle but maybe a good run in the team for chamakh could help him.

I know there's the tranny stories being blamed for the dip suffered with him but i think playing second fiddle & not being used to it has something to do with it too
    meriwether wrote: »
    He would say that though, wouldn't he?

He was hardly going to say 'I'm off for a payday'.

Even though he is.

He also appears to have unilaterally broke the relaqtionship with Arsenal, if, as the BBC reports the club is taken by surprise.
    So, he went behind the back of the manager and the board.

And in doing this, he has damaged his re-sale value, and by extension improved his personal terms at his next club.

But yes, you take his side. He's the good guy here. Poor Robin, all he ever wanted to do was play football for his beloved Arsenal, his desires thwarted by the nasty club with no ambition.

Your naiveity is laughable. You'd swallow anything if you swallow Van Persie's self-serving tripe.

He can go and **** himself for all I care after today. I was expecting him to leave, but hoped it would be an orderly departure and we could maximise our transfer income.

Not so.

Not even Nasri behaved like this.

here here :pac:
    Fine, I give up. I'll let you all continue with your unending bitterness.

what do you want the board to do or wenger when they haven't the money for either transfers or wages to compete with the rest, I'd think this is what RVP wanted in his direction for the club - but where is it going to come from. Signing two players before the window opened - was that not intention?

also he's stuck two fingers up at the club today - fúck him, injury prone bastard. There was no need to come out with it now.
    Just waiting for Juventus to put in another derisory offer of 49 pence and a half eaten Mars bar.

wenger will not be happy with that he'll have to fork out £1.00 for a cone too for somebody
    Dempsey def, but with Afobe and Campbell going in loan we need another striker in

was it you that was saying these two or at least campbell would be at the club next season & i said they wouldn't, it went on for a bit too

if so i hate to say i told you so :pac:

He will get more cash wherever he goes and he knows this.
    I would have cashed in on him anyway as he will be worth nothing to us next season. For all we know the whole lot of them could have got together and planned this as a way out for him.
    I'm not too worried about him leaving as we only got one good year out of him anyway. He could get injured in his first game with his new club and be out all season anyway. We should sign another striker and a LB with the money we get.

Meh I think we're fine at LB. Decent positional CB and a true AM from the money would be my first priorities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Check out Eboues twitter lads hes absolutely slating Rvp :)

How can we progress when we keep losing our bets players?

this season rvp, next seaosn wilshere/vemahlin.

seaosn after that, chambalain?

Seriously who is to blame? wenger? the board? The players? who?

You dont see united or chelsea losing there best players every season do you? something is not right at arsenal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

What did Batman say to Robin before he got in the car?

'Robin get in the car'

farna_boy wrote: »
    I hate this kind of BS that is rolled out saying that Arsenal are a one man team and without RVP we would have finished 16th or some other **** like that.

If RVP hadn't been playing up front for us, we would have had someone else up there, it's not as if we would have been just playing with 10 men.

What is even more likely though, is that we would have had a completely different formation that would have suited the style of player we had. And I also have no doubt that we would have been able to buy a different striker before the season started or at least during the panic phase last August.

Others have tried doing the same comparison with Messi and Barca. If Messi hadn't been playing, Barca would have finished 6th, if you assume that his replacement didn't score any goals and didn't provide any assists. Source.

However, like with van Persie/Arsenal, there would have been a replacement who at the very least would have been supplying some goals and assists, perhaps having the same net effect.

Overall, I am disappointed that van Persie is leaving, but we will get on with the job without him, much the same as we did without Fabergas/Nasri. I remember when Nasri was leaving he said something similar about the club not showing any ambition by buying players throughout the transfer window and I actually thought that it was a fair point and if there had been some movement he would have stayed i.e. he was trying to get the board to buy players and if they had he would have happily stayed.

This is clearly not the case with van Persie though, as the players have been bought and we still finished 3rd with a few injury crises this year. I don't know what his actual reasons are, but they are not what he is saying.

Look mate, i said if chamack was at the end of those chances that rvp scored, he would have banged in a few of those but no, u lot luaghed at me so therefore we are a one man team as you lot think no else would have scored the goals but rvp

djPSB wrote: »
    What did Batman say to Robin before he got in the car?

'Robin get in the car'
    :confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement