Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I wonder dud they tell him at the meeting either sign or your staying and he is trying to make his position untenable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Check out Eboues twitter lads hes absolutely slating Rvp :)

is it @TheRealEboue :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

To be fair lads, Chamakh got off to a great start in his debut season for you (IIRC) before struggling with the pace of the Premier League in the second half of the year. He had (according to Wiki) 11 goals and 8 assists in 44 games which is pretty decent for a first season in which he had to settle into a new team etc.

Last year he didn't get many opportunities but then again Van Persie didn't pick up a lengthy injury for the first time in years.

I think Chamakh is an OK striker, but he needs to start games, he's not a player who will make an impact off the bench. He needs to get consecutive starts and get himself into a bit of a rhythm. For that reason Arsenal is probably not the right club for him, but I could see him being a regular 12 + goal & 5 + assists a season striker in a top half team in which he'd start regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

here is a thought? what will happen to his family if he moves abroad seeing they was quite vocal of wanting to stay in london

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Check out Eboues twitter lads hes absolutely slating Rvp :)

is it @TheRealEboue :pac::pac::pac:
    Yeah must be fake is it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Yeah must be fake is it

I dunno, hopefully not :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

here is a thought? what will happen to his family if he moves abroad seeing they was quite vocal of wanting to stay in london
    Flights from London to Manchester are cheap these days.He'll probably commute.The prick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

You dont see united or chelsea losing there best players every season do you? something is not right at arsenal

you really cannot compare Chelsea to Arsenal. We cannot match their wages and that's why their players stay much longer than ours do. The fact that they regularly win things must help too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

So what, Diaby to be player of the season and then leave for city on the basis that we lack ambition in the transfer market?

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    you really cannot compare Chelsea to Arsenal. We cannot match their wages and that's why their players stay much longer than ours do. The fact that they regularly win things must help too.
    united?

heck even liverpool and spurs can hold there best players better then us

united?

Well if we paid the kind of prices for the standard of players they do I'd imagine we'd struggle to offload them.

united?

Modric will soon be gone and who wants anything Liverpool have to offer ?

united?

We can't match united's wages either. They've the biggest income in football, no?

Who are the players Liverpool have kept out of the clutches of city and barca exactly.

Spurs held on to modric for one summer when he was rumoured to want out and got bale to resign, that's all.

Stop looking for rot at the club. It's obvious that RVP wants the wages or guaranteed titles that only a club with a sugar daddy can provide.

Fcuk him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Not a big deal this time. We have let players as good as and better than him go for the last 7/8 years now and we have remained a Champions League club.

The key difference this time is that we have signed Podolski and Giroud BEFORE selling a key player. The trend before was to either promote a young prospect or not sign anyone. We have two quality strikers in, this isn't the crisis that many will try to make it out to be.

We're well used to this, we know by now that it wont send us into freefall. This time we should be grateful that we have two decent players in before we lost one- this hasn't really happened before.

Yeah, it sucks. But we'll get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

How much would you settle for for van Persie? I'm hoping 15-20m or more, but stating that he's definitely not signing on was a dick move and surely will lower his value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

gosplan wrote: »
    We can't match united's wages either. They've the biggest income in football, no?

Who are the players Liverpool have kept out of the clutches of city and barca exactly.

Spurs held on to modric for one summer when he was rumoured to want out and got bale to resign, that's all.

Stop looking for rot at the club. It's obvious that RVP wants the wages or guaranteed titles that only a club with a sugar daddy can provide.

Fcuk him.
    He's not exactly Van Persie but Liverpool have a job to keep hold of Skrtel this summer as Man City have turned his head.
    Luis Suarez is being courted by Juventus but I'd say he'll stay at least another year.
    In the past Liverpool have kept Gerrard from Chelsea and Real Madrid.

In saying that everyone knows Torres, Meireles, Mascherano and Alonso got their moves away that they forced.

I can totally understand the hurt Arsenal fans are feeling at the moment.

amiable wrote: »
    He's not exactly Van Persie but Liverpool have a job to keep hold of Skrtel this summer as Man City have turned his head.
    Luis Suarez is being courted by Juventus but I'd say he'll stay at least another year.
    In the past Liverpool have kept Gerrard from Chelsea and Real Madrid.

In saying that everyone knows Torres, Meireles, Mascherano and Alonso got their moves away that they forced.

I can totally understand the hurt Arsenal fans are feeling at the moment.

him leaving doesn't particularly hurt, just the fact that he announced it publicly before any deals were done. If he truly "loved" the club and it's fans he wouldn't have done it.

him leaving doesn't particularly hurt, just the fact that he announced it publicly before any deals were done. If he truly "loved" the club and it's fans he wouldn't have done it.
    even fabregas had class when he left. never said a word till he signed on the barca dotted line

even fabregas had class when he left. never said a word till he signed on the barca dotted line

He went on strike

He went on strike
    true

he did score for barca in the CL game :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

He went on strike

I'm not disagreeing with you on that but I've never seen a source for that and he seems to be still well thought of by everyone at the club.

Any decent source?

All the bile and hatred that was thrown around about Nasri when he left, RVP wants his reasons known now maybe to get the bitterness out of the way, not only that but the fans bitterness will force Wenger and the board to sell him now rather than wait until his contract ends.
    Arshavin got worse when the fans lost patience with his efforts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Look mate, i said if chamack was at the end of those chances that rvp scored, he would have banged in a few of those but no, u lot luaghed at me so therefore we are a one man team as you lot think no else would have scored the goals but rvp

Next time before you start making assumptions "mate" use the search bar above. I have long been an advocate of Chamakh, and have probably been one of his biggest/most vocal supporters in the Arsenal threads since I started posting here.

Three people replied and criticised your post about Chamakh and two others thanked one of those. At most six people are "laughing" at you, but in case you haven't noticed there are far more than three people who post here and quite a few would have a similar view about Chamakh.

And this hurts the club so much.

He's basically come out and told the world that the club lack ambition.

He went on strike

I'm not disagreeing with you on that but I've never seen a source for that and he seems to be still well thought of by everyone at the club.

Any decent source?

Ivan practically admitted it at the AST q&a sure if ya snoop around ya will find it

I have to say one thing that would be awesome if we win a league in the near future would be seeing who certain people would attribute it to. Since the board don't want to win trophies and Wenger is somehow only interested in his own glory.:rolleyes:

farna_boy wrote: »
    Next time before you start making assumptions "mate" use the search bar above. I have long been an advocate of Chamakh, and have probably been one of his biggest/most vocal supporters in the Arsenal threads since I started posting here.

Three people replied and criticised your post about Chamakh and two others thanked one of those. At most six people are "laughing" at you, but in case you haven't noticed there are far more than three people who post here and quite a few would have a similar view about Chamakh.
    I think Jonney is winding you up or forgetful, he not so long ago called Chamakh crap

The statement he released today was just stupid, he could hsve left quietly and not menu would hold ot against him
    But that statement made him look like a right knob

I have to say one thing that would be awesome if we win a league in the near future would be seeing who certain people would attribute it to. Since the board don't want to win trophies and Wenger is somehow only interested in his own glory.:rolleyes:

Lulz, keep dreaming about glory.....
    You haven't even got the balls to direct your post at me :D

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Lulz, keep dreaming about glory.....
    You haven't even got the balls to direct your post at me :D

If it was just you I'd have directed it at you.

• Advertisement

If it was just you I'd have directed it at you.

Well that's a surprise.
    (someone else saying it too)
    It's going to be heated in here for a couple of days, don't take it so personally.

The statement he released today was just stupid, he could hsve left quietly and not menu would hold ot against him

I've a feeling that at the end of the season he told the club he wanted to leave, but they told him "No, you have two choices; sign a new deal or go on a bosman in 2013- either way you're with us next season"

His statement today is an attempt to call Arsenal's bluff, make his position at the club seem untenable and force the club's hand into selling him. He's trying to be smart about it in a bid to keep the fans onside- this appears to have backfired.

The club should have gone a little further with their statement in response and announced that he was stripped of the captaincy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Lads don't fall out over this. We will all still be shouting for our team in just over a month and if we get a half decent start and score a few goals we won't miss him too much. We have been here before, I even remember Ray Kennedy leaving and many fans crying about it but the next big name is just around the corner. No need to panic at all .... Smith, Wright, Henri, RVP were all great goal scorers too ... Giroud ??

jordainius wrote: »
    I've a feeling that at the end of the season he told the club he wanted to leave, but they told him "No, you have two choices; sign a new deal or go on a bosman in 2013- either way you're with us next season"

His statement today is an attempt to call Arsenal's bluff, make his position at the club seem untenable and force the club's hand into selling him. He's trying to be smart about it in a bid to keep the fans onside- this appears to have backfired.

The club should have gone a little further with their statement in response and announced that he was stripped of the captaincy!
    But should we hate him for it and treat him like a dog?, it only makes our fans look bad, not the club.
    We did know this day would come after all, no club is safe from higher wages and the promise of trophies.
    I'm terribly disappointed but I don't blame him.
    And maybe, just maybe, Giroud will be the next target for City, because it will still happen no matter which player we get.

jordainius wrote: »

I agree think it happened something like that too, all along I have been saying sell him but after today I'd love the club to make him see out his year

But should we hate him for it and treat him like a dog?
    We did know this day would come after all, no club is safe from higher wages and the promise of trophies.
    I'm terribly disappointed but I don't blame him.

I've gotten to a stage where I don't really care about a player anymore if he's not playing for or is no longer interested in playing for Arsenal. I've wasted too much of my time being angry/pissed off at players for leaving in the last 7/8 years, it's not worth it.

I don't hate him, I'm disappointed in how he acted today but if he wants to go I hope the fans just forget about him and focus on those who actually want to play for us!

I agree think it happened something like that too, all along I have been saying sell him but after today I'd love the club to make him see out his year

But that just stinks of bitterness.
    What would the club gain from it? Nothing except looking bad.
    A player who has lost faith and doesn't want to be here.....
    We have only one choice, sell him NOW....and I hate saying that.
    And I would love to see Giroud flourish and even win the league because that word hurt RVP more than keeping him against his will.

But that just stinks of bitterness.
    What would the club gain from it? Nothing except looking bad.
    A player who has lost faith and doesn't want to be here.....
    We have only one choice, sell him NOW....and I hate saying that.
    And I would love to see Giroud flourish and even win the league because that word hurt RVP more than keeping him against his will.

Wouldn't really make us look bad he is still contracted to us, he would have to perform
    To get that golden contract at the end of the year

You no I wanted him sold all along but I would be a little happy to see the club grow some balls and not be dictated to by a player

Maybe find a happy middle ground we want 25 million by July 30th if that's not met your staying end of story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Gutted at the news but I guess it doesnt surprise me that much, also annoyed at how he has devalued himself in the market but he is not the first player to hint at the lack of ambition in the boardroom in recent years. You dont get too many players wanting to leave United or Chelsea (maybe our negotiating tactics need revisitimg)

• Advertisement

Wouldn't really make us look bad he is still contracted to us, he would have to perform
    To get that golden contract at the end of the year
    Well we want top players to come to Arsenal don't we?
    This sort of treatment can have a negative influence on players decisions to sign for 70k a week over another club with more money.;)
    You no I wanted him sold all along but I would be a little happy to see the club grow some balls and not be dictated to by a player

Maybe find a happy middle ground we want 25 million by July 30th if that's not met your staying end of story
    Arsenal released a statement saying they expect him to fulfill his commitment to the club.
    Yes it's their right, but we should be getting rid of people who aren't intending to to be part of this challenge to be one of the best teams in the league, we need commitment not disillusions in the dressing room.
    I know man, well let's just hope we get it over with quick, and get ready for a season with a new man up front

Anyway the big news of the day
    Denilsion is stayingin brazil on loan

Anyway the big news of the day
    Denilsion is stayingin brazil on loan

That's put a smile on my face.:D

RVP statement
    This is an update for the fans about my current situation. I have kept quiet all this time out of respect and loyalty for the club and as agreed with Mr. Gazidis and Mr. Wenger, but since there is so much speculation in the media, I think it is fair for you guys to know what’s really going on at the moment.

As announced earlier this year I had a meeting with the Boss and Mr. Gazidis after the season. This was a meeting about the club’s future strategy and their policy. Financial terms or a contract have not been discussed, since that is not my priority at all.

I personally have had a great season but my goal has been to win trophies with the team and to bring the club back to its glory days. Out of my huge respect for Mr. Wenger, the players and the fans I don’t want to go into any details, but unfortunately in this meeting it has again become clear to me that we in many aspects disagree on the way Arsenal FC should move forward.

I’ve thought long and hard about it, but I have decided not to extend my contract. You guys, the fans, have of course the right to disagree with my view and decision and I will always respect your opinions.

I love the club and the fans, no matter what happens. I have grown up and became a man during my time with Arsenal FC. Everybody at the club and the fans have always supported me over the years and I have always given my all (and more) on and off the pitch. I am very proud of being part of this fantastic club for the last 8 years. As soon as Mr. Gazidis is back from his 2-week holiday in America further meetings will follow and I will update you if and when there are more developments.

Robin van Persie

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

RVP statement

...thanks for the breaking news..!?

I'm still undecided on the whole thing. Id like to hear from the man himself, instead of the PR friendly essay.

Sútalún wrote: »
    ...thanks for the breaking news..!?

I'm still undecided on the whole thing. Id like to hear from the man himself, instead of the PR friendly essay.

Its only the statement that started this off, but **** if you can invite him here in to post about it, be my guess, he will love you all in here :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

To slightly misquote another footballer of note 'Why always us?'. It seems totteham can keep bale despite not even getting into the CL. I'm gutted. Not that RVP is done but by the way it happened. The only reason for this a/noon's statement is to force the clubs hand. What worries me most is that he'll be sold and the money received will not be re-invested. Same as with Cesc, Nasri etc etc.....

On the positive side. Re-signing RVP was always going to be a gamble. (regarding fitness). I wont pretend otherwise, I hope we would take that risk but it would have been a bigger disaster if he re-signed and then promptly called in sick for 6 months.

Gazidis and Arsene now need to get their heads out of their azzes quick and deal with this before it ends up firther embarrasing the club.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

A bit of a shock regardless of his contract situation. I thought he would have more class.

My overall feeling at the moment is one of disappointment. Disappointed that we couldn't hang on to him and disappointed that he would act this way and basically undermine the club that has backed him 100% in good and bad times.

In a season where the legend that is TH14 came back and showed the world what passion and love for a club can look like, a season where the player with the most potential finally came good and proved that there is justification in showing loyalty in your players - regardless of their injuries, a season where the squad showed heart and pride to put right a bad start and come good and turn the season around. In the last 12 months we have seen that Arsenal is above one player and can still perform in the face of adversity.

RVP will no doubt go on to have a great career and will probably win trophies with a rival but IMO he can no longer can himself a fan of the club or expect to be respected by the real fans.

He is no TH14!

wonga77 wrote: »
    Gutted at the news but I guess it doesnt surprise me that much, also annoyed at how he has devalued himself in the market but he is not the first player to hint at the lack of ambition in the boardroom in recent years. You dont get too many players wanting to leave United or Chelsea (maybe our negotiating tactics need revisitimg)

I'm going to have to repeat this a lot in the next few weeks I'd say.

Money money money. It's all about money.

What depresses me about this situation is that it's now clear that while wenger's talent is spotting players early, he'll never hold on to them unless we're paying close to the top available.

What annoys me is not the news but they way RVP has attempted to spin it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Jesus, what to say RE: Van Persie. Only it wasn't entirely unexpected - was it? One person to blame IMO:

jh796v.jpg

I'm going to have to repeat this a lot in the next few weeks I'd say.

Money money money. It's all about money.

What depresses me about this situation is that it's now clear that while wenger's talent is spotting players early, he'll never hold on to them unless we're paying close to the top available.

What annoys me is not the news but they way RVP has attempted to spin it.
    It's funny though, you cannot say for sure that RvP is telling lies when he says finance or contracts weren't discussed at all and that our ambition is the main reason to decide to not renew.
    To pretend you know the inside story of what goes on the boardrooms when discussing the players future is laughable.
    We can only take his word for now until we see proof otherwise.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement