Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

I think we should hold onto him, a season is a long time, who knows what could happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Barlett wrote: »
    I think we should hold onto him, a season is a long time, who knows what could happen

I think we should hold onto him as a 'fcuk you' in return and to send an important message to players.

RVP's clearly trying to force his exit a year before he could have left anyway. I'd like to see the club stand firm but I guess 15 or 20 million kind of outweighs principles.

Anyway, screw him. He would have been going anyway but a little bit of my faith in football has died as I really didn't expect that he'd stab the club in the back for self interest.

And that's what's happened people. Anyone on here defending or justifying his actions is either a troll or a fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

He didn't give the fans the truth I believe, I'm only disappointed he might have drive his price down
    I believe we could be stronger without him

That is utter nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

ASOT wrote: »
    He didn't give the fans the truth I believe, I'm only disappointed he might have drive his price down
    I believe we could be stronger without him

That is utter nonsense.

Two players in the bag, if we reinvested his transfer Money for say two more
    Who's to say the squad won't be stronger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

ASOT wrote: »
    That is utter nonsense.

Arsenal were in a highly dangerous place last year to be so reliant on such an injury prone player. With Giroud and Podolski signed, the goal scoring burden will be shared around more + 1 other we could be in a better position.

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    Arsenal were in a highly dangerous place last year to be so reliant on such an injury prone player. With Giroud and Podolski signed, the goal scoring burden will be shared around more + 1 other we could be in a better position.

While I agree with you, from this point with pod and giroud signed, we'd defo be better of if RVP stayed for another year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

gosplan wrote: »
    While I agree with you, from this point with pod and giroud signed, we'd defo be better of if RVP stayed for another year.

If he can get his head right like Modric did at Spurs last season, then I'd be happy for him to run down his contract.

greendom wrote: »

It depends on who we bring in, another forward an some one like Dempsey I would be very happy with that

I'm not including a DM because it looks that was coming anyway so two players in top of what we were gonna get anyway

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

There's no way van Persie is seeing out his deal. He'll be sold, 100%.

Arseblog's piece this morning is pretty much on the money.

Hopefully we'll pick up another creative player now.

There's no way van Persie is seeing out his deal. He'll be sold, 100%.

Arseblog's piece this morning is pretty much on the money.

Hopefully we'll pick up another creative player now.

Was just trying to quote that but couldn't manage for some reason.

Glad to see everyone's picking up on the duplicitious nature of his actions.

I mean what was the meeting supposed to have been like ...

'we should sign Hulk''

'we are going to sign Giroud'

'right, that's the last straw. Time to take a principled stand against the club I love so much and have given everything to yada yada blah blah'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

if you have a player who is hot property and wants leave then arsenal would be mad not to sell whilst they can still get the best price for him. he could get injured or just have bad season, and disrupt squad harmony whilst taking a starting spot away from a new striker, and then leave for nothing

if you have a player who is hot property and wants leave then arsenal would be mad not to sell whilst they can still get the best price for him. he could get injured or just have bad season, and disrupt squad harmony whilst taking a starting spot away from a new striker, and then leave for nothing

Very true and we've seen plenty of times that final years of players are never the most productive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Van Persie's stature in the club and how he carried us last season is the main reason for this outcry today. Let's look at it reasonably, we've lost more important players in the past and not fallen asunder, when he missed the first half of the 10/11 season he was adequately replaced by Chamakh for god sake, I personally have faith in Podolski and Giroud, particularly the latter, to be more than capable of finding the net and carrying the mantle.

I'm most sick about that statement. If he didn't agree with the way the club was going a year ago then why did he accept the captaincy? I mean, has the way the club thinks it should move forward changed at all from 12 months ago?? If it has I can't see it, if anything the club seems far more proactive in strengthening the squad this summer than it has in recent years. It's self-serving BS, make no qualms about it, and I think we all expected better from RVP.

Ideally for me now if Celtic could get 10mil together send him up to Scotland. He'd be odds-on for a treble up there and I hear Glasgow's lovely in the winter. If he goes to City I may just give up on football period.

And that's what's happened people. Anyone on here defending or justifying his actions is either a troll or a fool.

Pfffttttttttttt.
    You're a fool and a bitter one at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Hes had one massive season. Hes no Henry or Wright or Bergamp. Hes being injured for most of his career at arsenal. We might be lucky, we might get 30 million for him. jump and take it. He was absolute rubbish at euros. If the next team can keep him fit and keep off the injury table he will do well, big IF!.
    Invest in another 2 players i say, and get wilshire match fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

So how do people feel the morning after? I'm happily getting on with things. A bit disappointed with the statement and the revalation of RVP's true intentions but we'll get over it. I'm firmly behind the club and the manager and I hope most fans here are. Its clear this statement was done with the idea of unsettling the club and making his position untenenable and I think he succeeded in this.

Lets sell him to the highest bidder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

NukaCola wrote: »
    He came out and gave the fans the truth. I would admire that being honest. He is honouring his current contract, its dissapointing that he will leave AFC, but thats reality of the situation Arsenal is in......
    He didn't give the truth- he made a self serving statement designed to keep the fans onside. He is not really honouring his current contract as he is attempting to make it impossible for the club to make him honour the final year of his contract. Take off those anti-Arsenal tinted spectacles for a minute and you might see it...
    Wenger doesnt look likely to make the step up to be champions again, i know a lot will disagree but i dont say this out of disrespect, he's a fantastic coach and he's doing very well keeping Arsenal competing for the top 4, but players like RVP want to win trophys...i dont see Arsenal winning titles/trophys under Wenger and i guess RVP sees that too.
    Yeah, heard this one before when Vieira+Edu(2005)/ Pires+Cole+Campbell+Bergkamp(2006)/ Henry(2007)/ Hleb+Flamini+Gilberto(2008)/ Adebayor+Toure(2009)/ Cesc+Nasri(2011) left. Yet here we are, still a Champions League team since 1998. You don't seem to have learnt anything about Arsenal in the last 7 years?

The loss of our best players has without doubt harmed our ability to win the title. But it conclusively has not harmed in any way our ability to finish in the top 4.

Your post smacks of desperation from a hopeful Liverpool fan who knows that their only hope of making the Champions league again is by 4 or 5 of the teams above them going into freefall as Liverpool's only chance of making Champions League football is for 4/5 teams above them to get significantly worse than they were last season, coz Liverpool sure as hell are not showing any signs of making improvements of their own.
    NukaCola wrote: »
    Truth be told, you shouldnt leave players like RVP run down their contracts to one year remaining. At that stage the player will always have the upper hand in negotiations anyway. After 8 years do you not like the idea of him playing out his last year of contract at AFC? Maybe thats what he wants and is entitled to TBH.
    Yeah, spot on- we stood by and did nothing while his contract ran down :rolleyes:
    There seems to be a ridiculous notion that players can be forced into signing contracts??:confused:
    Your opinions on the whole situation are ridiculous- and are obviously clouded by a tendancy towards anti-Arsenal sentiment.

keano_afc wrote: »
    So how do people feel the morning after? I'm happily getting on with things. A bit disappointed with the statement and the revalation of RVP's true intentions but we'll get over it. I'm firmly behind the club and the manager and I hope most fans here are. Its clear this statement was done with the idea of unsettling the club and making his position untenenable and I think he succeeded in this.

Lets sell him to the highest bidder.

If we hadn't signed Podolski and Giroud I'd be a lot angrier as we have been there far too many times up to now. At least the club seem to be acting far more sensibly this summer. If he's not with us then good luck to him, lets get behind those who are still with us!

Hopefully Man City sign him, with the type of money they'll spend we should easily get M'Vila and a good keeper to give Szcz a bit of competition. We have plenty to be optimistic about this summer- even with RVP leaving.

jordainius wrote: »

The loss of our best players has without doubt harmed our ability to win the title. But it conclusively has not harmed in any way our ability to finish in the top 4.
    So far.....it could be argued we got lucky last season that Tottenham imploded and Newcastle dropped a few points that might have overtaken us.
    Everyone was delighted when Wenger done his deals early this season, thinking ohh they are showing intent.
    Everyone is going on about his injuries and he only had one real season for us like as if he's lazy and gets injured so he can sit on the sidelines and collect a wage, some say we should let him rot on the bench, some would even welcome Adebayor back :pac:
    Why can't we just say "Aur Revoir" and get on with it, it makes our fans look bad.
    The reality is players come and go all the time from clubs that aren't winning or paying high enough wages for world class talent.
    Blame the system, not the players.

Still not really bothered. Enjoying the discussion it's generating though!

• Advertisement

RVP 11 wrote: »

So far.....it could be argued we got lucky last season that Tottenham imploded and Newcastle dropped a few points that might have overtaken us.
    Everyone was delighted when Wenger done his deals early this season, thinking ohh they are showing intent.
    Everyone is going on about his injuries and he only had one real season for us like as if he's lazy and gets injured so he can sit on the sidelines and collect a wage, some say we should let him rot on the bench, some would even welcome Adebayor back :pac:
    Why can't we just say "Aur Revoir" and get on with it, it makes our fans look bad.
    The reality is players come and go all the time from clubs that aren't winning or paying high enough wages for world class talent.

I don't buy this we got lucky we finished where we deserved to finish
    I think alot of bile towards RVP is the way he went about leaving if he didn't release that statement and just left, he wouldn't get as mich stick, some fans would still be on his back but not the amount there is now

I'd giroud & Podolski can get close to 20 goals each we won't even Miss RVP big If I no but ded doable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

It does seem busier than normal.

I just started watching football consistently this year, and I got really into Arsenal. Although still plastic fan obviously. RVP from the reports I had been reading seemed to be happy as captain, doing after hours stuff with the team and things like that. Still, he's made it clear he doesn't want to stay, and I think he did so in a pretty poor fashion, so ship him off to somewhere else.

The thing is, if City buy him, it'l mean large cash, probably larger than anywhere else, and RVP is going, and City are certainly going to buy *someone* for huge amounts of cash who is going to bang a shedload of goals in. If it was reinvested, I'd sell to them. Either that or ship him abroad if there's an equivalent or close bid from somewhere else.

I am wondering though, there was supposed to be an agreement that neither side would say anything for a while, wasn't there? Then Wenger writes that he wanted RVP to stay forever, and a couple of days later, RVP says he's off. Maybe he felt that that deal had been broken. I can't remember the terms of the deal though, just thinking aloud.

Yep, it is foolish nowadays to become invested in the players and form some sort of attachment as we more than any club should be fully aware by now about what the modern day footballer is really like. The days of players like Tony Adams seeing out their careers with us are dead- Dennis Bergkamp was the last and we will probably wait years for the next.

Players who have stated in the last year or two that they would love to see out their careers with the club; Jack Wilshere (remember him??), Wojciech Szczesny and Thomas Vermaelen; the sad truth is that we have to take these proclamations with a pinch of salt; the modern day football fan must realise that their loyalty lies with the club and NOT the players.

So I'd have similar opinions to what you have said. As for "So far dot dot dot", if we keep doing it, it will in all likelyhood catch up with us some season, particularly is we ever have a summer like 2011 again. I suppose my only point is that those who wish to proclaim our demise should probably take note that it's going to take a little more than losing a key player or two for us to lose our grip on Champions League football.

I'm surprised you're not angrier- is he not after making your username obsolete?:D

Yep, it is foolish nowadays to become invested in the players and form some sort of attachment as we more than any club should be fully aware by now about what the modern day footballer is really like. The days of players like Tony Adams seeing out their careers with us are dead- Dennis Bergkamp was the last and we will probably wait years for the next.

Players who have stated in the last year or two that they would love to see out their careers with the club; Jack Wilshere (remember him??), Wojciech Szczesny and Thomas Vermaelen; the sad truth is that we have to take these proclamations with a pinch of salt; the modern day football fan must realise that their loyalty lies with the club and NOT the players.

So I'd have similar opinions to what you have said. As for "So far dot dot dot", if we keep doing it, it will in all likelyhood catch up with us some season, particularly is we ever have a summer like 2011 again. I suppose my only point is that those who wish to proclaim our demise should probably take note that it's going to take a little more than losing a key player or two for us to lose our grip on Champions League football.

I'm surprised you're not angrier- is he not after making your username obsolete?:D

As you say players aren't proper fans anyway no matter what they say.
    We will always support the club, i would never expect a player to do the same, it's a job afterall.
    He made my username obsolete anyway when he took the number 10 so it doesn't bother me now at this stage.
    Mods, username change please at the end of August?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

I think all we can do now is hope that a good price is sought for him and it is re-invested. But the main thing that should be done is that he is stripped of the captaincy and Vermaelen announced as captain.

Diddy Kong wrote: »
    I think all we can do now is hope that a good price is sought for him and it is re-invested. But the main thing that should be done is that he is stripped of the captaincy and Vermaelen announced as captain.
    That should've been the case all along IMO, i don't like forwards as Captains.

You're a fool

Don't worry, I'm not insluted but please do explain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Frankly I think Arsenal should look to sell him now. What's the point in waiting 12 months and making no return on him?

Personally I don't think he owes Arsenal anything. He's ambitious but Arsenal haven't really matched that ambition. Only now have they signed some big name players. Too little, too late in my opinion.

At 28 he's at the pinnacle of his career and carried Arsenal last season for large parts. His goal tally is sublime but how many good seasons does he have left in him? He needs support and I think at City (where he'll most likely end up I'd imagine) he'll get that support and extra bit of quality.

Another long drawn out Fabregas type transfer saga awaits... Oh boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

He didn't give the truth- he made a self serving statement designed to keep the fans onside. He is not really honouring his current contract as he is attempting to make it impossible for the club to make him honour the final year of his contract. Take off those anti-Arsenal tinted spectacles for a minute and you might see it...

Yeah, heard this one before when Vieira+Edu(2005)/ Pires+Cole+Campbell+Bergkamp(2006)/ Henry(2007)/ Hleb+Flamini+Gilberto(2008)/ Adebayor+Toure(2009)/ Cesc+Nasri(2011) left. Yet here we are, still a Champions League team since 1998. You don't seem to have learnt anything about Arsenal in the last 7 years?

Your post smacks of desperation from a hopeful Liverpool fan who knows that their only hope of making the Champions league again is by 4 or 5 of the teams above them going into freefall as Liverpool's only chance of making Champions League football is for 4/5 teams above them to get significantly worse than they were last season, coz Liverpool sure as hell are not showing any signs of making improvements of their own.

Yeah, spot on- we stood by and did nothing while his contract ran down :rolleyes:
    There seems to be a ridiculous notion that players can be forced into signing contracts??:confused:
    Your opinions on the whole situation are ridiculous- and are obviously clouded by a tendancy towards anti-Arsenal sentiment.

Don't agree with this to be honest. How can it not have done? A lot will depend on Spurs. United and City are certs for it and highly likely Chelsea too. Wouldn't be excited about the players you have got in since the end of last season, particularly Podolski.

If i was an Arsenal fan, which i am not, i would definitely reject all bids from him this summer, (unless something stupid like over 28-30 million sterling from City which could not be turned down). If Van Persie plays you will almost certainly finish top 4. We can't predict injuries of course, but if he does play will he give 100%? I would have thought so, after all it will increase his potential signing on fee and wages elsewhere next season. The money you get in for him is not worth the risk of missing out next season imo.

If he stays this season, he will be 30 years old when he plays in August of the following season for someone else, old for a striker. They will be getting him past his peak, you will have had his best years, no doubt about it. Money comes and goes, he is at his peak now, keep him over the money would be my opinion.

In that article they praise Wenger for taking the heat and questions from the media, as manager that's his job so i don't think he deserves extra credit for being behind all his players 100%, if he wasn't he wouldn't be much of a manager.

Don't worry, I'm not insluted but please do explain.
    I think we should hold onto him as a 'fcuk you' in return and to send an important message to players.
    That's really in the clubs best interests now isn't it?
    Come to Arsenal......we will fcuk you over when you don't have the same confidence & beliefs as the fans.
    Think of the club not your own personal vengence when a player wants to leave.
    Lets throw away what could be £20mil just to piss him off, fabulous.:pac:

In that article they praise Wenger for taking the heat and questions from the media, as manager that's his job so i don't think he deserves extra credit for being behind all his players 100%, if he wasn't he wouldn't be much of a manager.

All the **** he put up with most of his players and first chance he gets he is off

Troubled Dutch teen he took a punt on him
    A rape charge or accusation we stood by him
    Two long term Injuries while on international duty we stood by him
    Injury prone for seven years averging 21 games a season we gave him new contracts

One good season and he wants to dictate to the manager who he should buy, has digs at the club in a ridiculous statement

If the club wanted to keep him for his final year he should have shown some faith back stay the final year and get his big pay day or at least kick up fuss behind closed doors and show the club some respect

But yet he loves us fans and he loves the fans

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

That's really in the clubs best interests now isn't it?
    Come to Arsenal......we will fcuk you over when you don't have the same confidence & beliefs as the fans.
    Think of the club not your own personal vengence when a player wants to leave.
    Lets throw away what could be £20mil just to piss him off, fabulous.:pac:

or lets miss out on a top 4 finish losing MORE THEN 20m not being in the CL competition

There's no way the club will hold on to him. They'll say they will but that's just standard bargaining strategy. He'll be sold and quickly forgotten once he leaves the league.

• Advertisement

or lets miss out on a top 4 finish losing MORE THEN 20m not being in the CL competition

Or let's run the risk of causing a disruption to the dressing room and changing the dynamics of the dressing room.
    Don't buy into that at all.

All the **** he put up with most of his players and first chance he gets he is off

Injury prone for seven years averging 21 games a season we gave him new contracts

One good season and he wants to dictate to the manager who he should buy, has digs at the club in a ridiculous statement

If the club wanted to keep him for his final year he should have shown some faith back stay the final year and get his big pay day or at least kick up fuss behind closed doors and show the club some respect

Thats all great and honourable, but they are players doing a job afterall.
    It's hardly his fault he got injured and even then Wenger didn't want to lose him as he saw talent there.
    We didn't renew his contracts cause he was a sound lad.lol
    As i've said whilst im disappointed, this is the reality of football, and getting bitter after the fact doesn't change anything.
    RVP was cleared of Rape anyway, had we have suspended him or treated him unfairly, it would make Arsenal look like cnuts and liable most likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Can I get some clarification here, are you all pissed off with him for releasing a statement and actually clarifying his thoughts at the moment?

Don't people get annoyed usually when a player lets speculation drag on and on without making comment on it one way or the other?

What are people actually annoyed about? Is it that he is probably leaving cause that has been pretty likely for a while now yet I have never seen this much anger toward him?

He said he will update as appropriate also as further meetings are due to take place, what do ye want from him exactly?

Thats all great and honourable, but they are players doing a job afterall.
    As i've said whilst im disappointed, this is the reality of football, and getting bitter after the fact doesn't change anything.
    RVP was cleared of Rape anyway, had we have suspended him or treated him unfairly, it would make Arsenal look like cnuts and liable most likely.

I'm not bitter wanted him sold all along, but can see why people are fcuked with him after that statement

Or let's run the risk of causing a disruption to the dressing room and changing the dynamics of the dressing room.
    Don't buy into that at all.

I can see both point to this debate and not sure which one is better yet

• Advertisement

I'm not bitter wanted him sold all along, but can see why people are fcuked with him after that statement
    Why?
    Because he had the balls to address the fans before any real decision was made?
    No body knows what went on behind closed doors and no one really knows what his real reasons are, we can only take his word and see how the club handle the situation.
    And i have the utmost confidence that whilst the fans will call him a greedy **** and say he was never a real Arsenal player, the club will thank him for all of his services and wish him luck in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

kellso81 wrote: »
    We'll get nowhere near the money for him now he's stated his intentions. In my opinion he's worse than nasri, worse than cesc because he owes the club so much more for all the patience the club had with him. Turns out he's just another prima donna, money grabbing c*nt like the rest of them. We've made two big name signings already this summer, he has some nerve saying we're not trying to compete and is just trying to hide his greed. F*cking livid!

Ahh FFS.
    Have you had your head in the sand the last 10 years ?

I just find all the posters now coming out saying he is backstabber, a nasri, etc rather funny.

I bet some of the same posters not so long ago were saying how great RVP was, how he was a true fan of the club, how money doesn't matter to him, how his kids loved the club, etc.

Are you people not watching modern football ?
    I would bet 99% of Footballers have no loyalty.
    If a modern footballer ever says I am forever blue/red/pink whatever or kisses the crest I treat it as just a bull**** PR stunt to placate the fans.

People need to cop on there is no loyalty in football.
    There probably never was, it was enforced through blocks on transfers and affective ownership of players.
    One can easily count the number of truly loyal players over the last 20 years.
    The likes of Gerrard, Matt le Tissier come to mind.
    Maybe the Arsenal back 4.

RVP was brilliant last year and he probably realises that guys half as good as him are on much more money.
    Even it isn't about the actual money, it is about status and worth.
    He may feel he is worth a lot more.
    And when you compare his relative pay to people like squillaci you have to wonder.

Then maybve he wants a guarantee that he will win trophies and there is probably no chance of that with Arsenal.
    People are claiming we made two great signings that highlight intentions.
    We signed a German international with loads of caps, but the days are gone when being a German international with loads of caps meant one was a great world class great player.
    We signed a French striker, but look at the last two semi successful French based strikers we signed in the last few years and we can see how that has worked out.

I think the best that can now be done is to offload RVP for as much as can be got.
    The worry is the negotiations are carried out by the same eejits that let Fabregas walk away for fook all.
    Any chance the guy that sold Carroll from Newcastle is available ?

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Highly doubt it will be City, Chelsea im sure is an option to replace Drogba.

I don't think he is good enough to replace Drogba.

Although he might take diving lessons.
    gnfnrhead wrote: »
    For the captaincy, Veraemlen would probably be the best choice but: Vieira, Henry, Gallas, Fabregas, van Persie. I propose a dual captancy for Arshavin and Squillaci in the hope of that thrend continueing.

I like your thinking.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

As a neutral I see it like this by the way

He has just had a very good season, his stock will never be higher
    He has watched as the other stars of the Arsenal team have been sold year after year pushing the club further from a title
    He has only got one big contract left in him and he has a right to try get the best deal he can for him and his family
    He has been at the club a long time and has had opportunities to leave in the past but has not pushed for them
    If he was not performing the club/fans would not be so concerned with loyalty and would want to get rid
    He doesnt owe Arsenal anything, players and clubs sign contracts, from his statement he just says he will not be renewing his contract, he has not put in a transfer request. He is entitled to leave at the end of his contract if he wishes

It is a bitter pill to swallow when your star player thinks about/wants to leave, but it is a reality in football.

I genuinely don't think money is the biggest factor for him, he coud easily stay at Arsenal and he will never have to worry about money anyway, at his age he has got to be thinking about life after football, what players remember, what they want to look back on is titles, winners medals. I find it very hard to hate someone for that or find fault with it.

There has been no forward progress at Arsenal for a while now really, they are a solid top 4 club, but there is no medal for that.

Just my take on things.

Ood debate going on twitter, supposedly he is keen on juve but money is there problem so

Would you sell to juve for 12
    Or flog to man city for 25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I don't agree with most people on here banging on about one good season and he's off...
    Over the period 2004-2012 he has averaged 24 league games per season with a goal every second game and an assist every 4th game. Many of those years he was vying with Henry and Adebayor for first choice striker or playing out on the left wing so considering all that plus his injuries (Which is a daft thing to complain about as being his fault!) I think he served Arsenal extremely well over the time he was here.
    Yes, the club were loyal to him during his injuries but they obviously felt it was worth it to offer him the new contracts.

Like most comments here I'm also pissed off with the way he released his statement and some of the content but there is a deeper issue where the Board can't seem to get to grips with the fundamentals of keeping a top level squad together. I would partially exclude AW from this criticism but what significant deal has Gazidis done since he has been at the club which sets us apart from our rivals? Hell, we can barely sustain our position never mind improve it!! There are bigger issues with the management of the club than RVP leaving. Until they get rectified expect more of the same supply route to City over the coming years!

Ood debate going on twitter, supposedly he is keen on juve but money is there problem so

Would you sell to juve for 12
    Or flog to man city for 25

Man City have already won a title and will be there again this season and the next probably.
    We have already sold 3 players to them, so why not another?
    Get as much as we can, that's in the clubs BEST interests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I don't get why people get so worked up on loyalty to the club and all that, it's a job at the end of the day, and a job they will only be able to keep for 10-15 years if they're lucky. I know if someone offered me a job that included a 100-150% salary increase and the chance to work at a more prestigious firm I'd be out the door. The only players that stay at one club their whole career are those who were lucky enough to find a club of their level when the were younger, e.g. Giggs, Iniesta, Xavi, etc. Gone are the days when players will stay at a club for their whole career if they have a very realistic chance at being a success at a higher level. When Modric leaves I'll be very disappointed, but I wouldn't begrudge him the transfer, he'll leave for a profit and was a resounding success whenever he played for us.
    I can understand why people would be mad at RvP for making that statement, he has reduced his transfer fee big time, but loyalty shouldn't be brought into the equation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Man City have already won a title and will be there again this season and the next probably.
    We have already sold 3 players to them, so why not another?
    Get as much as we can, that's in the clubs BEST interests.

Maybe throw in Vermaelen and a few others and we can simply change to supporting City guilt free!
    Seriously though, why didn't Mansour just come and buy Arsenal instead of City considering the amount of transfer money he has pumped into us and the fact that we already have the best facilities around in place...?

kryogen wrote: »
    As a neutral I see it like this by the way

He has just had a very good season, his stock will never be higher
    He has watched as the other stars of the Arsenal team have been sold year after year pushing the club further from a title
    He has only got one big contract left in him and he has a right to try get the best deal he can for him and his family
    He has been at the club a long time and has had opportunities to leave in the past but has not pushed for them
    If he was not performing the club/fans would not be so concerned with loyalty and would want to get rid
    He doesnt owe Arsenal anything, players and clubs sign contracts, from his statement he just says he will not be renewing his contract, he has not put in a transfer request. He is entitled to leave at the end of his contract if he wishes

It is a bitter pill to swallow when your star player thinks about/wants to leave, but it is a reality in football.

I genuinely don't think money is the biggest factor for him, he coud easily stay at Arsenal and he will never have to worry about money anyway, at his age he has got to be thinking about life after football, what players remember, what they want to look back on is titles, winners medals. I find it very hard to hate someone for that or find fault with it.

There has been no forward progress at Arsenal for a while now really, they are a solid top 4 club, but there is no medal for that.

Just my take on things.
    He's been a crock for the majority of his Arsenal career; it's not hard to be loyal when interest in you is as limited as it was 12 to 18 months ago. He's had his one big season and now he's off for the trophies/massive money (pick whichever you like), same as Nasri, Flamini, Adebayor. A large part of the reason that Arsenal don't win anything is because the club continually invests large amounts of time and faith in these guys and they leave as soon as it bears fruit.

His statement is very clearly crafted (by his team) to make his position at the club untenable; it is a transfer request, just one that allows him to keep any loyalty payments.

belcarra wrote: »
    Maybe throw in Vermaelen and a few others and we can simply change to supporting City guilt free!
    Seriously though, why didn't Mansour just come and buy Arsenal instead of City considering the amount of transfer money he has pumped into us and the fact that we already have the best facilities around in place...?
    Not sure what you're on about.
    They have the money, they pay over the odds and we get a cool £20mil for what most of the angered fans would say is a one season wonder.:pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement