Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

RVP 11 wrote: »
    That's really in the clubs best interests now isn't it?
    Come to Arsenal......we will fcuk you over when you don't have the same confidence & beliefs as the fans.
    Think of the club not your own personal vengence when a player wants to leave.
    Lets throw away what could be £20mil just to piss him off, fabulous.:pac:

That's a bugbear of mine.

I loved the way City handled the Tevez affair last year - leave him rot till he climbs down and comes back. Wait and see who else is going to try to engineer a move away from City after that. It was a seriously important message for City to communicate to potentially unhappy players, and if it was important for City, it's far more important for us.

I wish Arsenal could do the same but obviously we have to live on planet earth where money matters, but sooner or later the club is going to have to take a stand against player power.

I imagine what happened with RVP is that he told the club he wanted out, they said 'we need you for another year' and to him (and any suitors that may have been involved) he was just a little bit to old and a little bit too injury prone to take his chances and finish his contract so what he's done is created his own exit strategy.

He has gone behind the club and stabbed them in the back. It should not be accepted.

The current set-up at Arsenal regarding wages means that any good player we get will always have their head turned by clubs like City. Sooner or later, we have to get the message across that a contract with Arsenal ends when the club decides it ends. I mean our whole strategy for competing at the top end is based on signing promising players on long term contracts. This is the second year that our best player has shown that contracts don't mean sh1t.

Through he actions, I'd have no problem with RVP being made an example of in this manner. Bitter, emotive - yes. But i don't think it's too foolish. Make it clear that they will have to pay through the nose for our club captain or he stays.

Maybe he doesn't play a game all year and we lost 15 or 20 million, maybe he does a Tevez and puts in a decent shift after a while or maybe he's a bit more professional, has a great season and then signs a bumper paydeal somewhere else. What's sure is that players striking (still gutted about that) or players creating their own moves away doesn't happen again next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Not sure what you're on about.
    They have the money, they pay over the odds and we get a cool £20mil for what most of the angered fans would say is a one season wonder.:pac:

his on about the city owner. why didndt he buy arsenal instead of city.

gosplan wrote: »
    That's a bugbear of mine.

I loved the way City handled the Tevez affair last year - leave him rot till he climbs down and comes back. Wait and see who else is going to try to engineer a move away from City after that. It was a seriously important message for City to communicate to potentially unhappy players, and if it was important for City, it's far more important for us.

I wish Arsenal could do the same but obviously we have to live on planet earth where money matters, but sooner or later the club is going to have to take a stand against player power.

I imagine what happened with RVP is that he told the club he wanted out, they said 'we need you for another year' and to him (and any suitors that may have been involved) he was just a little bit to old and a little bit too injury prone to take his chances and finish his contract so what he's done is created his own exit strategy.

He has gone behind the club and stabbed them in the back. It should not be accepted.

The current set-up at Arsenal regarding wages means that any good player we get will always have their head turned by clubs like City. Sooner or later, we have to get the message across that a contract with Arsenal ends when the club decides it ends. I mean our whole strategy for competing at the top end is based on signing promising players on long term contracts. This is the second year that our best player has shown that contracts don't mean sh1t.

Through he actions, I'd have no problem with RVP being made an example of in this manner. Bitter yes but i don't think it's to foolish.
    We could treat players like that if we had the money to offer wages like City and lure players, players like to come to Arsenal for the club mentality and being part of the project, and having a fair policy on what to do when players are unhappy (for whatever reason) will make it easier for younger talented players to decide to come here IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

He's been a crock for the majority of his Arsenal career; it's not hard to be loyal when interest in you is as limited as it was 12 to 18 months ago. He's had his one big season and now he's off for the trophies/massive money (pick whichever you like), same as Nasri, Flamini, Adebayor. A large part of the reason that Arsenal don't win anything is because the club continually invests large amounts of time and faith in these guys and they leave as soon as it bears fruit.

His statement is very clearly crafted (by his team) to make his position at the club untenable; it is a transfer request, just one that allows him to keep any loyalty payments.

Just a question, you mention Nasri, Flamini et al but not Cesc or Henry? Viera? Were their situations different in Arsenal fans eyes?

He has had his injury problems yes, but he has still managed to score consistently, and thats with being played on the left, his value has always been recognised by most fans, I would have thought Arsenal fans would have been no different?

If it is true that a large part of why Arsenal dont win things is the reason you outlined then should the club not look at how it conducts business also? Surely the club cannot be blameless? If a player is not working out he will be shipped out, I dont agree that if a club is not moving forward a player should stay forever just to be classed as a hero by its supporters.

This brings me back to, Henry cited the same reasons when he left did he not? Trophies? yet he is still treated as a hero afaik?

I dunno, Rooneys statement was about 100% worse a couple of years back and his position at the club was not made untenable, he is still there, the statement says there are further meetings scheduled, it said money had not even been discussed that the future strategy had, he does have a right to ask about that imo as club captain.

There has always been interest in VP btw, he has never been limited in his options imo, once he was made the main man and played through the centre his value was very clear for anyone to see, even when he was being played out wide he still managed to score consistently.

his on about the city owner. why didndt he buy arsenal instead of city.

Because the Arsenal shareholders wouldn't have allowed it.
    They are part of this project too remember.

We could treat players like that if we had the money to offer wages like City and lure players, players like to come to Arsenal for the club mentality and being part of the project, and having a fair policy on what to do when players are unhappy (for whatever reason) will make it easier for younger talented players to decide to come here IMO.

i disagree. letting rpv, fabregs etc go clases us as a feeder club and last i read, no titling winning side is a feeder club.

if u want to compete with the best u cant go and sell your best players to the best teams around no matter how much moneu you throw at it.

if it means arsenal lose out on 20m by keeping rvp then so be it. let him go for free. send a message to all arsenal players that you will honour your contract and not **** off the moment u get a chance too.

no put a gun on fabregas, nasri, hleb, rvp etc to sign long term deals. they all had a there own free will to make a decision.

IMo we should have made an example to fabregas. we should have that ****er rot in the reserves till his contract runs out.

end of the day, rvp, fagrebas etc were all bought for peanuts. its not as if we bought those players for 40m and later on losing that 40m and letting them go for free. no sir.

we bought rvp for what? 2m? at worse he goes for free next year and we only lost 2m. thats nothing.

Time for arsenal to set an example. we are becoming a ****ing joke. how are we suppose to compete and improve when every year our best players leave once they change there mind?

please tell me how then? how can we compete?

if we let rvp go what message does that send to the rest of the arsenal players and potential arsenal players?

i tell u what it sends, it sends this message:

"hey, come and join arsenal, a top 4 club that will help u manufacture a move to one of the top elite sides in europe once u prove yourself in this team"

GREAT message innit. i expect Wilshere, vemahlen, chambalin to all follow once they establish themselves. THIS is the message we are sending out to wilshere and co.

How can ANY arsenal fan be happy about this? How can anyone not see the real picture here, the real clear message ?

it is a ****ing joke we have become, city's and barca's reserve/B team where the top players from our side get "promoted" to the barca/city side.

i disagree. letting rpv, fabregs etc go clases us as a feeder club and last i read, no titling winning side is a feeder club.

if u want to compete with the best u cant go and sell your best players to the best teams around no matter how much moneu you throw at it.

if it means arsenal lose out on 20m by keeping rvp then so be it. let him go for free. send a message to all arsenal players that you will honour your contract and not **** off the moment u get a chance too.
    Jonney he has to see out his contract anyway, he's quite entitled to want to move on at this stage in his career, for whatever reason.
    you're talking like we have the means to battle it out with the top clubs with players contracts and we can't and NEVER will.

IMo we should have made an example to fabregas. we should have that ****er rot in the reserves till his contract runs out.
    :pac:, i won't even bother answering that.

Time for arsenal to set an example. we are becoming a ****ing joke. how are we suppose to compete and improve when every year our best players leave once they change there mind?
    Wenger out?:pac:
    please tell me how then? how can we compete?
    We cannot, simple.
    Either get a sugar daddy or move on.
    if we let rvp go what message does that send to the rest of the arsenal players and potential arsenal players?
    That players can't be forced to stay when they don't want to?:confused:
    i tell u what it sends, it sends this message:

"hey, come and join arsenal, a top 4 club that will help u manufacture a move to one of the top elite sides in europe once u prove yourself in this team"
    Ahem, that's been the message for nearly 7 seasons now Jonney, i sometimes wonder do some of you watch Arsenal from Sky Sports News and nothing else.

GREAT message innit. i expect Wilshere, vemahlen, chambalin to all follow once they establish themselves. THIS is the message we are sending out to wilshere and co.

How can ANY arsenal fan be happy about this? How can anyone not see the real picture here, the real clear message ?

it is a ****ing joke we have become, city's and barca's reserve/B team where the top players from our side get "promoted" to the barca/city side.
    And so making RVP stay when he's going to have a negative influence on the dressing room will magically change all that?:pac:
    Again, Wenger out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Because the Arsenal shareholders wouldn't have allowed it.
    They are part of this project too remember.

All shareholders have their price. In hindsight at the amount of money Mansour has thrown at City I'm sure if he wanted Arsenal he could have bought the club.

It's unusual to see a Third party try to liquidate another companies assets so successfully!

Marwood, Platt & Viera in the backroom staff, Clichy, Toure, Nasri & Adebayor on the playing staff soon to be joined by RVP it appears...
    Approx £75 million plus RVP @ ~£20m = Nearly £100m just to get 5 of our players. Then factor in their hugely increased wages would bring you closer to £150m.
    How much would a bid for the whole club have cost?? £600m?

Jonney he has to see out his contract anyway, he's quite entitled to want to move on at this stage in his career, for whatever reason.
    you're talking like we have the means to battle it out with the top clubs with players contracts and we can't and NEVER will.

:pac:, i won't even bother answering that.

Wenger out?:pac:

We cannot, simple.
    Either get a sugar daddy or move on.

That players can't be forced to stay when they don't want to?:confused:

Ahem, that's been the message for nearly 7 seasons now Jonney, i sometimes wonder do some of you watch Arsenal from Sky Sports News and nothing else.

And so making RVP stay when he's going to have a negative influence on the dressing room will magically change all that?:pac:
    Again, Wenger out?

is united, barca, Juventus,AC,inter run by suger daddies? nope yet they still win things.

The players sigend a contract. no one forced them to sign, honour yoru contract or netx time ask for a shorter deal, simple

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    All shareholders have their price. In hindsight at the amount of money Mansour has thrown at City I'm sure if he wanted Arsenal he could have bought the club.

It's unusual to see a Third party try to liquidate another companies assets so successfully!

Marwood, Platt & Viera in the backroom staff, Clichy, Toure, Nasri & Adebayor on the playing staff soon to be joined by RVP it appears...
    Approx £75 million plus RVP @ ~£20m = Nearly £100m just to get 5 of our players. Then factor in their hugely increased wages would bring you closer to £150m.
    How much would a bid for the whole club have cost?? £600m?

Yes that's right, the current Arsenal shareholders don't give a **** about the club, they are just in it for the money.
    That's why they have 100% confidence in Arsene Wenger and his project that is keeping this club out of debt and having a sustained future in the top flight of football and the CL.

is united, barca, Juventus,AC,inter run by suger daddies? nope yet they still win things.

The players sigend a contract. no one forced them to sign, honour yoru contract or netx time ask for a shorter deal, simple

United, money problems.
    Barca have serious money problems aside from having the best young talent coming through the ranks year in year out, Italian league is full of corruption and fan revolt.
    This has nothing to do with contracts (from what we know), i would expect RVP to be professional and finish out his contract, but from a club point of view, why risk it????
    I sometimes wonder about you Jonney:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

What sort of team will you be looking at when everyone is fit lads? Something like this?
    Sczeczny

Sagna Vermaelen Koscienly Santos

Walcott Wilshere Song Oxlaide-Chamberlain

Giroud Podolski

Then of course you have the likes of Arteta (completely forgot about him when doing the above starting 11), Rosicky, Metersacker, Chamakh, Gervinho, Ramsey, Lansbury etc.

I wouldn't panic if I were an Arsenal fan. That team is still good enough to finish 3rd/4th, which in my opinion is where you'd have finished with or without Van Persie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/120705/arsenal-verge-sealing-lloris-deal-175902

Lacking ambition, eh Robin??? Have some of that!!*

*there is more than likely no truth to this story

keano_afc wrote: »
    http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/120705/arsenal-verge-sealing-lloris-deal-175902

Leaked from Sagnas wifes twitter page.
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Yes that's right, the current Arsenal shareholders don't give a **** about the club, they are just in it for the money.
    That's why they have 100% confidence in Arsene Wenger and his project that is keeping this club out of debt and having a sustained future in the top flight of football and the CL.

When Mansour bought City the shareholders were a more diverse group than the two billionaires that remain. Fiszman, NBS + others all had significant shares which have since been passed on to make SK and AU the last men standing. So, there was the chance for some shares to be bought, albeit not sure if the full club was available at the time.

What are your thoughts on my earlier comments re: Gazidis not working out and the fundamental issue of the conveyor belt business to Barca and City? As someone else pointed out Spurs managed to hold onto Bale who was hugely in demand so why can we not hold onto any of our stars??

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,405 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

keano_afc wrote: »

Thats not the first time I heard that rumour. I hope its not true, we don't need a goalie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

jordainius wrote: »
    He didn't give the truth- he made a self serving statement designed to keep the fans onside. He is not really honouring his current contract as he is attempting to make it impossible for the club to make him honour the final year of his contract. Take off those anti-Arsenal tinted spectacles for a minute and you might see it...

Yeah, heard this one before when Vieira+Edu(2005)/ Pires+Cole+Campbell+Bergkamp(2006)/ Henry(2007)/ Hleb+Flamini+Gilberto(2008)/ Adebayor+Toure(2009)/ Cesc+Nasri(2011) left. Yet here we are, still a Champions League team since 1998. You don't seem to have learnt anything about Arsenal in the last 7 years?

The loss of our best players has without doubt harmed our ability to win the title. But it conclusively has not harmed in any way our ability to finish in the top 4.

Your post smacks of desperation from a hopeful Liverpool fan who knows that their only hope of making the Champions league again is by 4 or 5 of the teams above them going into freefall as Liverpool's only chance of making Champions League football is for 4/5 teams above them to get significantly worse than they were last season, coz Liverpool sure as hell are not showing any signs of making improvements of their own.

Yeah, spot on- we stood by and did nothing while his contract ran down :rolleyes:
    There seems to be a ridiculous notion that players can be forced into signing contracts??:confused:
    Your opinions on the whole situation are ridiculous- and are obviously clouded by a tendancy towards anti-Arsenal sentiment.

Did you not read my post, i said Arsenal were well capable of finishing top 4, but not winning the title. I'm not anti arsenal, i quite like them :confused:

As for the LFC comment, i'm not sure why you brought that up?? I cant discuss a topic i'm interested in because i support a different team?

As for the contract....You could have sold him last season for megabucks instead of letting him run down his contract, or give an ultimatim, commit or leave...

I think your post is almost like an attack on me, all i gave was my opinion, so attack the post not the poster, i know its disappointing to lose a quality player but dont take it out on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jul/05/arsenal-investors-reproach-kroenke-van-persie
    "It is down to our manager and not the shareholders to have to deal with the club's tight finances, carry the burden of repaying the stadium debt by selling his best players and having to continue to find cheaper replacements," Usmanov and Moshiri wrote. "All of that, naturally, comes at the expense of performance on the pitch. This policy is leading to the loss of our best players, often to our main competitors, and even causes the players themselves to question their future at the club and the club's ambitions. The situation with our captain and outstanding performer from last season, Robin van Persie, sums this up."
    Usmanov is using the opportunity to make hay.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

kryogen wrote: »
    Just a question, you mention Nasri, Flamini et al but not Cesc or Henry? Viera? Were their situations different in Arsenal fans eyes?

He has had his injury problems yes, but he has still managed to score consistently, and thats with being played on the left, his value has always been recognised by most fans, I would have thought Arsenal fans would have been no different?
    I've never loved Vieira the way others do because of his incessant flirting with Real Madrid, but he did give the club his best years, and Wenger was happy to let him go.

Cesc is different in that while he didn't give the club his best years, he did give several years of top drawer service and resist attention from bigger/more successful teams for much of that time. He did however **** the club and the fans by trading on loyalty, signing a long contract and then by going on strike to force a move. He's in a different category to the likes of Nasri and van Persie but nonetheless he'll get no post Arsenal career appreciation from me.

van Persie, Nasri, Flamini, Adebayor and Hleb (who I forgot), were all players who benefited from a lot of faith and perseverance at AFC and all of them immediately looked to jump ship once they became desired commodities. Most of it not all of them like to talk about Wenger as a father figure and how much he's done for them, but actions speak louder, and they've all screwed him. These mealy mouthed press statements always like to try to differentiate Wenger from the board/club/'others' but while Arsenal may not be Wenger, Wenger IS Arsenal.
    If it is true that a large part of why Arsenal dont win things is the reason you outlined then should the club not look at how it conducts business also? Surely the club cannot be blameless? If a player is not working out he will be shipped out, I dont agree that if a club is not moving forward a player should stay forever just to be classed as a hero by its supporters.

This brings me back to, Henry cited the same reasons when he left did he not? Trophies? yet he is still treated as a hero afaik?
    Henry gave his best years to the club, like Vieira, and unlike most players mentioned in the last few pages, he treated the club and the fans respectfully. Wenger was happy to let him go when he did.
    There has always been interest in VP btw, he has never been limited in his options imo, once he was made the main man and played through the centre his value was very clear for anyone to see, even when he was being played out wide he still managed to score consistently.
    He's been playing central for years now and nobody has shown genuine interest in him until now because who wants to invest in a perma-crock? He's always been admired as a gifted player but talk is cheap; in the last 8 years no club has actively made a concerted, solid effort to sign him. We'll see what genuine, active interest in him is like this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

To be honest, if van Persie had gone about this the correct way, I wouldn't have cared if he went to Sp*rs. I can understand that he might want to move for money or for trophies and I don't blame him in the slightest for that.

If he had gone through Wenger, i.e. had told Wenger he wanted to leave and Wenger had announced that given the right price we were willing to sell him, we could have sold him for a larger amount. Then he could have come out with this statement and there would be far less animosity towards him.

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    When Mansour bought City the shareholders were a more diverse group than the two billionaires that remain. Fiszman, NBS + others all had significant shares which have since been passed on to make SK and AU the last men standing. So, there was the chance for some shares to be bought, albeit not sure if the full club was available at the time.

What are your thoughts on my earlier comments re: Gazidis not working out and the fundamental issue of the conveyor belt business to Barca and City? As someone else pointed out Spurs managed to hold onto Bale who was hugely in demand so why can we not hold onto any of our stars??
    I'm not Gazidis' biggest fan put it that way.
    2-3 years ago i would have gone on a huge rant about how the club does it's business and what they want from the club at the end of it all.
    But i have come to accept, this is Arsenal Football Club, that may change in the future, it may not.
    Their priority 1st is sustainability, 2nd profit, 3rd exciting football.
    I'm sure if they really wanted to they could make Arsenal win something, anything, with a cash injection.
    As it is they are happy for the club to be staying in the green and top four finish, even if that means that World Class players won't settle for that, players will come and go, and with Wenger at the helm, more often than not they will be World Class.

... and if it wasn't already obvious enough that van Persie's people wer looking to pick a fight with the club's management, Usmanov's crew jump in.

This is going to be a dirty summer at AFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

As a neutral I see it like this by the way

He has just had a very good season, his stock will never be higher

His stock isn't very high at the moment because of what he said yesterday. He has no intentions of signing on next season, so if no club meets our valuation this year he can go for free next year.

I really envy Spurs in situations like this. They know how to get top money for their talent. I'd bet my house that Gareth Bale will not last those 4 years, but if Spurs don't get CL next season and Bale want out, Spurs are going to get a whopping transfer fee for a sought after winger with 3 years left on his deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Can I get some clarification here, are you all pissed off with him for releasing a statement and actually clarifying his thoughts at the moment?

Don't people get annoyed usually when a player lets speculation drag on and on without making comment on it one way or the other?

What are people actually annoyed about? Is it that he is probably leaving cause that has been pretty likely for a while now yet I have never seen this much anger toward him?

He said he will update as appropriate also as further meetings are due to take place, what do ye want from him exactly?

The bit I don't like is the way he announced his intentions.
    He should have informed the manager and Board before telling the fans. That's just manners. However I do wish him well and enjoyed his last season with us as some of his goals were tremendous.
    The next big thing for Arsenal is only around the corner so don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

... and if it wasn't already obvious enough that van Persie's people wer looking to pick a fight with the club's management, Usmanov's crew jump in.

This is going to be a dirty summer at AFC.

Think he timed that letter wrong too

Paully D wrote: »
    What sort of team will you be looking at when everyone is fit lads? Something like this?
    Sczeczny

Giroud Podolski

Then of course you have the likes of Arteta (completely forgot about him when doing the above starting 11), Rosicky, Metersacker, Chamakh, Gervinho, Ramsey, Lansbury etc.

I wouldn't panic if I were an Arsenal fan. That team is still good enough to finish 3rd/4th, which in my opinion is where you'd have finished with or without Van Persie.
    Arteta will definitely be in the starting eleven. I think we'd have had an outside shot at the title with Wilshere/Giroud/Podolski added to the team and Mertesacker/Santos/Arteta etc already present and fit for the start of the season, but van Persie leaving puts paid to that.

Hopefully we'll sign someone fairly creative to replace Robin; Giroud/Podolski can take point.

Can I get some clarification here, are you all pissed off with him for releasing a statement and actually clarifying his thoughts at the moment?

Don't people get annoyed usually when a player lets speculation drag on and on without making comment on it one way or the other?

What are people actually annoyed about? Is it that he is probably leaving cause that has been pretty likely for a while now yet I have never seen this much anger toward him?

He said he will update as appropriate also as further meetings are due to take place, what do ye want from him exactly?

He should have informed the manager and Board before telling the fans. That's just manners. However I do wish him well and enjoyed his last season with us as some of his goals were tremendous.
    As would I, but we don't know what said leading up to this and RVP may just be apprehensive about leaving then releasing his reasons ala nasri.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Snakeblood wrote: »

I say there's going to be a war within the board over the course of this summer. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.
    farna_boy wrote: »
    To be honest, if van Persie had gone about this the correct way, I wouldn't have cared if he went to Sp*rs. I can understand that he might want to move for money or for trophies and I don't blame him in the slightest for that.

If he had gone through Wenger, i.e. had told Wenger he wanted to leave and Wenger had announced that given the right price we were willing to sell him, we could have sold him for a larger amount. Then he could have come out with this statement and there would be far less animosity towards him.

Agreed. The statement lacked respect for Wenger.

I'm looking forward to this season even without RvP. New dynamics will be developed which I always think is exciting as a fan.

HazDanz wrote: »

I'm looking forward to this season even without RvP. New dynamics will be developed which I always think is exciting as a fan.
    And that's what it means to support a club.
    Look forwards, not backwards.;)
    I could be wrong, but if RVP were to join City and score against us, i can't see him running the length of the pitch to piss off Arsenal fans ala Adebayor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Nasri's recently deleted a tweet regarding pre season and saying he hopes to be with RVP.

• Advertisement

gavredking wrote: »
    Nasri's recently deleted a tweet regarding pre season and saying he hopes to be with RVP.

What a d*ck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

When I lived and worked over there from 1970 to '73 Myself and my brother went to all the home matches, many away matches and to reserve games. It was great to spot a new exciting and talented teenager and to predict when he would break into the team. We lived on the Caledonian Road very close Highbury. I think we should be playing young lads in pre-season friendlies to blood them, maybe 2 or 3 at a time.
    I wouldn't worry about the RVP situation at all as his best is now behind him. A new player always emerges to take the place of whoever leaves. That's football for you, new heroes always arriving and old ones going.
    The thing that is annoying me is that it is the same every year at Arsenal and that is a matter for the Board. Why are they allowing us to be the focus of unwelcomed attention every year?

The thing that is annoying me is that it is the same every year at Arsenal and that is a matter for the Board. Why are they allowing us to be the focus of unwelcomed attention every year?

The major shareholders are asking the same questions and have written to the board expressing their disillusions, very similar to what RVP said in his statement.
    Are they after a wage increase?:pac:

Agree with all of this*.

He's club captain, he's been made a millionare at Arsenal. O.K. City will pay way more and money talks but if he wants to speak of love for the club and loyalty, then I struggle to find a time in his Arsenal career that any of this was actually tested before now.

His decent option was to hand in a transfer request, ask the club privately to sell him and accept that he may have to stay another year.

This may have happened in private but in the last few days he's heard Wenger and the board speaking about not selling him and he clearly wants out and wants out now. Thankfully, it was a such a huge miscalculation on his part that it's clear as day to see his statement for what it is.

*apart from the wish him well bit - I hope he does sh1t wherever he goes.

And that's what it means to support a club.
    Look forwards, not backwards.;)
    I could be wrong, but if RVP were to join City and score against us, i can't see him running the length of the pitch to piss off Arsenal fans ala Adebayor.

Maybe he'll stamp on Chamakh's head.:D

gosplan wrote: »
    Maybe he'll stamp on Chamakh's head.:D

LOL, would only improve his hair TBH.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

What a d*ck.

Could be Nasri just stirring things up a bit.

Rather silly from him IMO.

Sczeczny

Giroud Podolski

Mertesacker and Koscielny are our best CB partnership. Team for me now would look something like this.

Chesney
    Sagna-Koscielny-Mertesacker-Santos
    Song
    Arteta
    Wilshere
    Walcott---Giroud---Podolski

Last year's Rosicky could fill in for Arteta or Wilshere and Oxlade-Chamberlain should get plenty of gametime in there somewhere. A really creative attacking midfielder would be nice.

• Advertisement

Imo we are a wounded animal. We cannot compete with the big boys at the minute with a mediocre Sponsorship deal. It wasn't a bad one when we put pen to paper for it but the way the English league has exploded commercially since then has left us sitting ducks until it is finished with and until then we cannot expand to an appropriate level.

This should not be an excuse for letting our prized players go though, it must be an attitude problem with the board that they don't see the importance of keeping these players and just cashing in to keep our books tipping along.

It's none of his business. He should be concentrating on keeping his head down after his run in with the french media lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Sczeczny

Giroud Podolski

Not 4-4-2. More like:

Ches
    Sagna--Koscielny--Vermaelen--Gibbs
    Song(M'Vila?)

Wilshere--Arteta
    Walcott/Ox----Giroud
    Podolski

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

It's a fake account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

He's been a crock for the majority of his Arsenal career; it's not hard to be loyal when interest in you is as limited as it was 12 to 18 months ago. He's had his one big season and now he's off for the trophies/massive money (pick whichever you like), same as Nasri, Flamini, Adebayor. A large part of the reason that Arsenal don't win anything is because the club continually invests large amounts of time and faith in these guys and they leave as soon as it bears fruit.

Lets face it Arsenal have become a feeder club.
    We can't financially compete with the big boys.
    We are comparable to the likes of Valencia in Spain where we hover near the top, but can't get over the line anymore because we can't hold onto the proven talent.
    Of course unlike the Valencias of this world we are not in dire financial problems.

I thought the young players come to Arsenal because they get decent wages, better than if they went to the likes of united where they might have to porve themselves.

Well actually Juve had the Agnelli money behind them, Milan has one mr Berlusconi and Inter has Moratti.
    Juve are the best supported team in Italy and the Agnelli/Fiat money helped made them such.

In the mid 80s Berlusconi took over an almost bankrupt club, which had actually been demoted to Seria B for another betting scandal in the early 80s (not sure if it was one Rossi was involved with??) and he invested a lot in bringing in the great Dutch trio and built the club back up.

Massimo Moratti who owns Inter is no bloody pauper and has spent hundreds of millions on Inter.

Barca is unusual and it looks like both them and Real can run up as much debt as they like because you would want to be suicidal to be the bank CEO to call in their debts.

As for united I couldn't ever see mr glazier senior being described as a sugar daddy. :D
    What they bloody have is a marketing machine and a crusty wily old coach who has kept them at the top.

I have to say all those clubs have bigger financial clout than the likes of Arsenal.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

Is that a joke?
    Better spread it all over the web just in case.

Better spread it all over the web just in case.

yeah, you'd better.:pac:

2-3 years ago i would have gone on a huge rant about how the club does it's business and what they want from the club at the end of it all.
    But i have come to accept, this is Arsenal Football Club, that may change in the future, it may not.
    I'm sure if they really wanted to they could make Arsenal win something, anything, with a cash injection.
    As it is they are happy for the club to be staying in the green and top four finish, even if that means that World Class players won't settle for that, players will come and go, and with Wenger at the helm, more often than not they will be World Class.

And what happens if we dont make top 4??

Sorry mate but i do not agree with your post on how we run things. last season we was in real danger of not making top 4.

it sounds like u "accept" the current way arsenal are doing things.

You go on about how i use to want wenger out but sorry mate, the issue is bigger then wenger and i cant see why you dont see that? How can u accept this?

And what happens if we dont make top 4??

Sorry mate but i do not agree with your post on how we run things. last season we was in real danger of not making top 4.
    Lol I know that, I've been saying we were lucky to get 4th even with RVP
    I don't agree with the boards plan I merely stated I understand it, even the shareholders are saying it now
    We all know it's bigger than Wenger, but it's taken you 3 years to see that yourself based on your previous rantings on other forums.
    Fans won't have any input on the decisons the board make so it's a fruitless argument anyway.
    What's not accepting it going to do? lol
    Change the board?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement