Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Galvasean wrote: »
    greendom wrote: »
    I think he is seen as an exceptional developing talent that was slowed last year through injury.

Injury prone eh? Should fit right in.

What I'd like to know is how come we're the ones with Champions League football but have to watch our star players exodusing en masse while the same can't be said for Tottenham and Liverpool?

We all hate the spuds but I was impressed with levy last year, told Nordic he wasn't going and that was that no **** taking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

What I'd like to know is how come we're the ones with Champions League football but have to watch our star players exodusing en masse while the same can't be said for Tottenham and Liverpool?

Because they don't have players of the quality of Fabregas, Van Persie or even Nasri.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Because they don't have players of the quality of Fabregas, Van Persie or even Nasri.

I don't think that's fair at all. They have Bale who they just convinced to sign a new long term contract. They managed to convince Adebayor to join properly (on a big pay cut I would assume). Van Der Vart is definitely Nasri quality or better and he doesn't appear to be going anywhere. Modric might be leaving soon but it looks like it will be very much on their terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

They have Bale who they just convinced to sign a new long term contract.
    Bale needs to do it on a more consistent basis before any of the big fish will take a punt.
    They managed to convince Adebayor to join properly (on a big pay cut I would assume).

With a massive signing on fee to make up for that pay cut.
    Van Der Vart is definitely Nasri quality or better and he doesn't appear to be going anywhere.
    But if tottenham were offered 25 million for him you wouldn't see him for dust.
    Modric might be leaving soon but it looks like it will be very much on their terms.
    Agreed. Arsenal could definitely learn from the approach tottenham have taken with Modric.

Notice you didn't name any liverpool players :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Bale is very good but he doesn't deliver as much as he should.

Over the last 2 seasons Walcott has 17 goals and 17 assists. Bale has 17 goals and 12 assists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

dvemail wrote: »
    Floating around twitter that our bid for Niang has been rejected as it wasn't enough. Now thats a shocker.

Well in fairness, I'd doubt we'd be too happy if Wenger wa overspending on a young striker from France that we know very little about bar the fact he's spent the last year injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

gosplan wrote: »
    Well in fairness, I'd doubt we'd be too happy if Wenger wa overspending on a young striker from France that we know very little about bar the fact he's spent the last year injured.

This is true. From what I've read about him though, he does seem to have a bright future ahead of him so why not spend some of it at Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Back to squad talk; I've a sneaking suspicion the little Russian will be in the squad for the coming season. Acquisitions really depend on our ability to offload Squillaci, Chamakh and Bendtner amongst others. I still think we're really light at full back, especially right full. I'd like to see someone brought in there; Jenkinson needs a Bolton type loan I think, same goes for Miquel. The Gibbs/Santos situation is less than ideal too, I've all the time in the world for the cuddly Brazilian, and he does offer something different, but I can't help but feel he was a panic buy and we're basically stuck with him. He's 30 this year. And as for Gibbs fitness... less said the better. We're sorted at CB tbh.

Midfield is a curious beast; I'd welcome the signing of M'Vila but it would create a bit of a problem as you've 3 positions for Wilshere/Song/Arteta/Ramsey/M'Vila. I really think Ramsey is going to have a big year this year too. If we got M'Vila for the right fee [~£12m] then I'd be all for it but I think it'd be needless to break the transfer record for him when someone like Coquelin [who I rate highly] could do a job too. In relation to Coquelin, his versatility is really useful for the team but it could hold him back from developing as a player - he's got good awareness of what a DM entails; I don't think its a huge coincidence that 3-1 turned into 8-2 vs Utd last year when we took him off. In terms of depth you've got Rosicky, Diaby [who AW seems content to persist with] and Lansbury [who I'm hoping will have a big season]. Basically, I'd welcome M'Vila or Biglia [AW watched him last weekend] but only at the right price.

Front 3 of course all depends on RVP. I'm going to proceed on the basis that he's gone but we'll manage to sign Walcott up. I don't think Walcott would get into any of Chelsea/City/Utds first XI and unless he goes abroad any other Premiership club is a backwards step for him. He's much maligned but he's a very useful player to have imo. You'd obviously hope Chamberlain can continue to progress and have more of an impact this season too. The new boys I think will need a little time to adjust but I think the crucial thing is to get them playing regularly - we all saw how Chamakh, though technically limited, thrived in his first 6 months with us when he got a run in the team and had some confidence. Gervinho you'd hope might attempt to resemble something like a footballer this season but I'm going to say he'll have a limited impact given the ACN is on again. Like I said, I think Arshavin will stay - my hunch is that AW will keep him as a result of the ACN being on. That being said, we'll still need at the very least a striker to come in once RVP goes. I'm caught between wanting someone experienced like Berbatov and someone versatile with potential like Niang/Mirallas. But we do need someone. If I was being greedy I'd also like another winger such as Mertens/Hoilett [I'd liked to have seen us go for Hoilett as he fits the sterotypical AW bill, but then again how much playing time could you guarantee him and you could well be hindering Chamberlain with another body there]. If I'm honest Niang/Mirallas would be perfect if RVP goes. Versatile with potential.

That was way longer than I'd wanted but anyway; thoughts folks?

Notice you didn't name any liverpool players :D

Because that would have totally destroyed my argument now wouldn't it? :pac:
    Pep Reina and Stevie G (who has been too injury prone lately to be hot property) notwithstanding of course.
    Well in terms of 'pool, what bugs me is that one of our first teamers (Walcott) is being strongly linked with a move to Liverpool, a lack of ambition on Arsenal's part often being cited as the reason for him wanting to leave. I don't see what great ambition Liverpool have shown over Arsenal in the last few years.

The mirror linked us with Barcelona's Affelay today. If we could get him around the 10million mark that'd be some signing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The mirror linked us with Barcelona's Affelay today. If we could get him around the 10million mark that'd be some signing!

He wasn't too impressive in the Euros either so he might be less expensive.

He wasn't too impressive in the Euros either so he might be less expensive.

Well considering none of the Dutch squad impressed (internal trauma FTW) we might get a cut price, which would be great as the guy is a quality player. He just happens to play in the same position as Iniesta :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Saw that rumour but it said Barca only want €4 million.

€6.5m apparently is the asking price. He's an injury liability though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

yAfellay would be a great signing imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

JPA wrote: »
    Saw that rumour but it said Barca only want €4 million.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

cson wrote: »
    €6.5m apparently is the asking price. He's an injury liability though.

That would still be some serious business!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Nevermind the price he's very good friends with RVP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭iainconlon12

Mirror is reporting that Alex Ferguson is confident that RvP will be playing for United next season. http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-believe-robin-van-1148540

Sky Italia is reporting that Arsenal turned down a €19m bid for RvP from United.

I really dont care where he goes, as long as it's not to United!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

In fairness, Affelay's injury was one serious one rather than a string of injuries, so I wouldn't really call him a liability(yet). He'd be a great signing at that sort of price, we need someone of his ilk to provide some more creativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I would absolutely hate to see van Persie at United.

I'd rather see him at United than City. Of course I'd rather see him at Juve ahead of either of them. I'd also rather see him spend another season at Arsenal (rotting for all I care) to any of the aforementioned options.

Don't care where he ends up as long as we get proper money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Worst part about RVP playing for UTD would be the slagging from my utd buddies.

I would love to see The Verm playing against him in a late PM kickoff at a noise Emerites.

GET STUCK IT THOMAS!!!!!!!

just thinking about that utd forward line if he did sign for them. Fantastic

If United were to make a move I'd insist on Berbatov plus cash. Seriously. He'd do a deadly job for us.

• Advertisement

If United were to make a move I'd insist on Berbatov plus cash. Seriously. He'd do a deadly job for us.

Love to have that guy in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Yup, I said about a month back we should take a punt on Berbatov.

Giroud
    Podolski
    Berba
    Walcott
    Song
    Arteta

is a pretty decent front 6.

He's definitely affordable, the stumbling block would be wages though.

Would not in a million years play Berbatov in the withdrawn striker/#10 role and leave us with just 2 in midfield. It'd be suicide the way the game is gone. And the other option of playing him up top beside Giroud... 4-4-2 is dead I'm afraid.

Have to just stick him on the opposition's D really.

Berbatov the bulgarian Arshavin.:pac:

• Advertisement

Hopefully AC Milan will enter the race for robin have a right bidding war

Hopefully AC Milan will enter the race for robin have a right bidding war

That would be nice allright, plenty of offers in anyway if we have rejected a €19m bid from Utd, we better ****ing sell him to someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I really dont care where he goes, as long as it's not to United!

This.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Yeah, we've already got one Arshavin too many.

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Berbatov the bulgarian Arshavin.:pac:

I can see him loosing the ball not tracking back the other team scores and we go fcuking nuts

I can see him loosing the ball not tracking back the other team scores and we go fcuking nuts

Definately not a player suited to Wenger & Arsenals philosophy.....ie. actually do something for the team.
    I would be stunned if Wenger even considered him for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

linked to Nzonzi today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

When's the last time we sold a player to United? Or am I having a serious mental block of some traumatic recent events

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

When's the last time we sold a player to United? Or am I having a serious mental block of some traumatic recent events

Last I can remember is Viv Anderson.We don't really sell to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

batistuta9 wrote: »
    linked to Nzonzi today

I like N'Zonzi a lot. He looks like he could become very good. If we could get him for decent money it wouldn't be a bad move.

Although there's not a hope he would be picked ahead of Song, and rightly so. But one of the main positives would be that he would probably accept not being first choice straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

he's told Blackburn he wants to leave, they want £10mil according to the story & Chelsea are also interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Frank Stapleton 1981 for £900,000 is one of the only big one I can think of ...

Great player boring as fook to listen to.

There must be someone since ?

Mind we do take their rejects.
    Last I can remember is Viv Anderson.We don't really sell to them.

Anderson was fergies first signing.
    He went for 250,000.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Seems Arsenal have a re-buy clause of €4 million on Carlos Vela if they want it.
    Could come in handy in the future, but doubt Vela will ever really want to come back.

dvemail wrote: »
    Seems Arsenal have a re-buy clause of €4 million on Carlos Vela if they want it.
    Could come in handy in the future, but doubt Vela will ever really want to come back.

Interesting we put in a buy back clause wenger must def rate him

jmayo wrote: »

Mind we do take their rejects.

Yeah let's not repeat that again.

Being linked with Fellaini now. Really rate him. As I said in the uber long squad assessment, I think at the right price one of Fellaini, N'Zonzi, Biglia or M'Vila would be a solid addition but you have to remember we have a promising youngster in Coquelin in that position too. No way should N'Zonzi cost anything like £10m, half that and I'd take him. If Chelsea want to **** around ridiculous amounts of money on N'Zonzi/Walcott/Whoever let them off; they can only play 11 players at a time.

I really ****ing hate City and Chelsea and their ****ing blood money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Would you guys rather Van Persie went to United or City?

jamc wrote: »

United all the way.

Yeah Fellaini would be an excellent acquisition

Neither.

Like I said; I'm with arseblog on this, he doesn't go to another Premiership club. He can go abroad for sure, but if he digs his heels in and wants City/Utd then he can see out the rest of his contract and go there next year. It's high time we made a stand and show we're not going to be dicked around by a player. No player is bigger than the club - we dictate terms to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

City all the way!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement