Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

jank wrote: »
    I have no idea what these players are like, seems to be highly rated but aren't we over stocked already in midfield?
    Would rather another LB and CB and another forward provided Van Persie leaves.
    We also need to off load players, lots of players.

I see this alot from ppl but realistically which CB would ye drop? Who, that we could get, is better than Vermealen or Kos? Having a German Internatioanl with 60 plus caps as third choice CB is pretty good! Individually our Defence (bar LB) is excellent, its a coaching/geling as a unit problem IMO.

If Kos or Sagna left tomorrow the likes of Barca, Real and City would want them.

I see this alot from ppl but realistically which CB would ye drop? Who, that we could get, is better than Vermealen or Kos? Having a German Internatioanl with 60 plus caps as third choice CB is pretty good! Individually our Defence (bar LB) is excellent, its a coaching/geling as a unit problem IMO.

If Kos or Sagna left tomorrow the likes of Barca, Real and City would want them.

I was Mertesacker on as much as is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

We need to FB's to be brutally honest.

Back up for Sags, and a top class one to start on the left.

Gibbs and Santos aren't cutting it yet, but I have hope for Gibbs.

/waits for someone to say we don't need him since we have Arteta :pac:

Knob.:pac:
    I never said anything of the sort or hinted at it, you would take him OUT of the squad because you only watch football highlights.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

For central midfield, we have Wilshere, Song, Arteta, Rosicky, Ramsey, Diaby, Coquelin and Frimpong - only three of them are really of the required quality, and 2 of the best 4 are injured.

For the two wide roles, we have Walcott, Gervinho (away for ANC again this season), Chamberlain and maybe Miyaichi. Podolski may play wide occasionally, but I think he's come primarily to play central, ala Wiltord.

My view is that Cazorla will play wide mostly and that's why we're in for Sahin too.

We could also do with a full-back but we're well stocked at CB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Jebus our squad might just look bloody fantastic come the kickoff in August

I didnt NOT see this coming.

Up ye're holes Spurs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Looks like Ryo to Wigan on loan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Looks like Ryo to Wigan on loan

I thought he looked really good in the friendlies. Full of beans and fighting for the ball, offence and defence.

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Knob.:pac:
    I never said anything of the sort or hinted at it, you would take him OUT of the squad because you only watch football highlights.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79207108&postcount=6784
    Arteta is good enough to play there IMO, based on all the years I've seen him at Everton.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

meriwether wrote: »
    Midfield:
    -Arteta - no complaints here
    -Wilshere - injured
    -Diaby - injured, potentially sh1t even if not injured
    -Ramsey - too soon, but will be awesome
    -Arshavin - sell, immediately. Waster
    -Theo - mercurial (being generous)
    - Song - defensively unsound
    -Rosicky - approaching the end
    -Ox - going to be huge
    -gerv - going to be really good

Wouldn't class as midfielders...although Ox can play there

• Advertisement

That's not quite the same as saying we don't want someone better than Arteta. I think Arteta's good enough to play there, but someone better would be, well, better.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    That's not quite the same as saying we don't want someone better than Arteta. I think Arteta's good enough to play there, but someone better would be, well, better.

Cool, just that IMO for a team wanting to push past just CL qualification he's not good enough as an out-and-out AM.

WTF does that prove ?:pac:
    Cazorla wasn't even mentioned back then in the context of that conversation.
    Arteta can play that positition as he did at Everton, but he's nothing like Cazorla, so stick your stalking.
    If you paid attention to Arsenal on the pitch as much as you do tracing back peoples posts, you would have a valid opinion.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

Hey Guys, long time lurker first time poster in the Soccer Forum. I've supported Arsenal for 25 years and I love the club dearly.

I hate to say, giving previous summers, I can't get excited about the potential signings until I actually see them in an Arsenal Shirt. Too many times in the last 7 years we have lost our top quality players and not too many coming in.

If we can get Santi Cazorla and the lad from Real Madrid I will be happy as a pig in s hite. I still think our defense is very suspect. I would love to see a quality left full brought in and decent cover for Sanga.

Carl Jenkinson is way out of his league at the moment. Gibbs for me, is too lightweight, Santos is a fine player but not the quality of full back Arsenal need. Djourou is not up to scratch for me, he is a liability.

I hope we do sign Cazorla and the other guy from Real, we would have a great squad, but again, when I see it I believe it to be honest.

Hey Guys, long time lurker first time poster in the Soccer Forum. I've supported Arsenal for 25 years and I love the club dearly.

I hate to say, giving previous summers, I can't get excited about the potential signings until I actually see them in an Arsenal Shirt. Too many times in the last 7 years we have lost our top quality players and not too many coming in.

If we can get Santi Cazorla and the lad from Real Madrid I will be happy as a pig in s hite. I still think our defense is very suspect. I would love to see a quality left full brought in and decent cover for Sanga.

Carl Jenkinson is way out of his league at the moment. Gibbs for me, is too lightweight, Santos is a fine player but not the quality of full back Arsenal need. Djourou is not up to scratch for me, he is a liability.

I hope we do sign Cazorla and the other guy from Real, we would have a great squad, but again, when I see it I believe it to be honest.

Look at you being all realistic and level headed. Boo!

Welcome to the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

What have you been watching. He is one of our best players.

I agree. It was the article which stated he failed to make an impact in the premier league. So they were saying he wasn't good enough for the premier league but is good enough for Barca. Therefore bullsh!t story. Therefore the "paper never refused ink" comment.

meriwether wrote: »
    Look at you being all realistic and level headed. Boo!

Welcome to the thread.

I have learned to be that way, when it comes to Arsenal, I'm like a love struck teenager, I get excited about the prospect of Arsenal signing good players only to be let down each and every time, so proceed with caution is my motto!!

Cheers man.

Welcome aboard.
    I think we never had such a shakeup in previous seasons with RVP threats to quit, so it may turn out to be a blessing with all these links to players and the two we have bought (which again never happened so early in our summers).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A LB and a keeper now Arsene please. Apart from Czsz we have poor keepers.

WTF does that prove ?:pac:
    Cazorla wasn't even mentioned back then in the context of that conversation.
    Arteta can play that positition as he did at Everton, but he's nothing like Cazorla, so stick your stalking.
    If you paid attention to Arsenal on the pitch as much as you do tracing back peoples posts, you would have a valid opinion.:)

No but I did mention that I wanted a proper AM.

I find it ironic that remembering a discussion is stalking but you following someone who you mistakenly think is me around to see if they're watching matches isn't.

• Advertisement

A LB and a keeper now Arsene please. Apart from Czsz we have poor keepers.

If we do buy Santi & get Sahin on loan, can you really see us spending any more?
    Wages has to be considered too.
    Podolski, Giroud, Cazorls, Sahin....they would take a fair chunk of the wage kitty.
    I hope we do get a LB, can't see it though.

Welcome aboard.
    I think we never had such a shakeup in previous seasons with RVP threats to quit, so it may turn out to be a blessing with all these links to players and the two we have bought (which again never happened so early in our summers).

I hope so, VP11 loves the club, but I don't blame him and some others with Arsenal becoming a feeder club in the previous years.

That's the most frustrating thing for me, supporting Arsenal, a few years back, we had the potential to dominate the PL but AW decided to go with his youth policy, which I love about AW and Arsenal. In saying that, Arsenal let go to many senior players, we needed the experience along side the youth.

I'm hoping AW has learned and we make these signings that we are hearing about and I would love if RVP decided to stay and help Arsenal to start winning trophies again. We are so close as a club its frustrating. Fingers crossed and I'm hoping like mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Wigan strikes me as a good loan for Ryo.

No but I did mention that I wanted a proper AM.

I find it ironic that remembering a discussion is stalking but you following someone who you mistakenly think is me around to see if they're watching matches isn't.

Remembering a discussion almost 2 months old isn't the same as reading the same stuff from you week in week out.
    You only posted during the week (when we were only rumoured to be getting Cazorla) that Arteta could/should be dropped, and that's what brought it up, i wasn't reading your old posts, i've better things to be doing.

G.K. wrote: »

It's only a loan?
    Thank **** for that, Ryo has potential and i agree Wigan would be a good place for experience.

It's only a loan?
    Thank **** for that, Ryo has potential and i agree Wigan would be a good place for experience.

Ryo looks like is will be quality in the years to come.

Ryo looks like is will be quality in the years to come.

For sure, he has bundles of pace and agility and usually delivers a good cross at the end of it.
    Clubs like Wigan & Bolton will toughen up players, as we seen with Wilshere.
    Looks like i'll have to watch a fair bit of Wigan play this season, hope he's in the first 11 most games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

G.K. wrote: »

Most certainly Wigan try to play football the right way, and hell still be getting valuable experience. I reckon the future for him is bright at Arsenal.

As far as wages for the new signings go; well we've a lot of players who are surplus and if we shift a few of them it'll free up a lot.

Also, as any Chelsea fan will tell you, the new PL TV deal will bring in a lot of extra cash for clubs. If Chelsea can still spunk £60m every summer and meet FFP, then we won't have any problems.

• Advertisement

So all the reports are saying Carzola deal is done, medical passed everythings agreed pictures are being taken just waitingon official announcement, I wonder can we get exicited yet?

Kike Marin a Spanish jounalist says the deal was 15 million euro calls Arsenal "master negotiators" yeh just as long as Chelsea dont pop there heads in ala Mata and mess things up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

jank wrote: »
    aren't we over stocked already in midfield?

The creative midfield list consists of Ramsey & perhaps Ox.

The non-headless chicken winger list consists of Ox.

Carzola is by all accounts a very experienced, top level player who can play in any one of three positions we're light in.

Obviously there's no guarantees but hopefully his age and experience will prevent him going the way of Reyes.

Realistically, players like Pod, Giroud and Carzola are the best possible signings Arsenal could have made this summer.

AzTg84hCYAAS9ZE.jpg:large

I don't think many of us would have believed 3 months ago that Arsenal would have bought 3 proven internationals just fresh out of a Euro tournament before August.
    Real intent, fookin mahissive.

I don't think many of us would have believed 3 months ago that Arsenal would have bought 3 proven internationals just fresh out of a Euro tournament before August.
    Real intent, fookin mahissive.

I did, but then, this was my first transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭iainconlon12

Robin must feel like some tit right now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Wenger is really going all out this summer; doing some of the things we have been asking him to do for years. Three top class, proven internationals, hiring someone who can help organise the defence as assistant manager. Add to Jack Wilshire hopefully coming back in October and I should be really excited about this season.

Just unfortunate that the Van Persie thing hangs over everything. He's irreplaceable (I know we said that before about other players).

Robin, its time to come back home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I did, but then, this was my first transfer window.

You're good luck.

Seriously though, the only difference between this transfer window and the last few ones is that Wenger seems to have decided not to go into another season relying on unproven or injured players.

Sagna - Mert - Verm - Santos
    Song - Arteta - Rosicky
    Carzola - Giroud - Pod

That's like the oldest viable outfield we've seen in years. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Posted on Santi Cazorla's Twitter Account.

@SCozorla12:
    I'm new @Arsenal player. Ya puedo decir que soy jugador del @Arsenal :-)

I'm not sure if his account is real or not but there you go.

Add to Jack Wilshire hopefully coming back in October and I should be really excited about this season.

I'd be worried about him having more than a couple of league starts if he's only back in October.

• Advertisement

It's new. Fake.

It's not going to happen is it? :pac:

Maybe not, if he stays an Arsenal player, he may feel good about it.
    He did do all that **** before we bought anyone.

gosplan wrote: »
    You're good luck.

Seriously though, the only difference between this transfer window and the last few ones is that Wenger seems to have decided not to go into another season relying on unproven or injured players.

Sagna - Mert - Verm - Santos
    Song - Arteta - Rosicky
    Carzola - Giroud - Pod

That's like the oldest viable outfield we've seen in years. :D

And don't forget buying them at the last minute when there was nothing left to buy.
    City haven't even had a chance to spend yet, that's if they do at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Maybe this was his (RvP's) plan all along- force Arsenal into action on the transfer market and then revisit his decision in August? I doubt it myself but it wouldn't surprise me.

jordainius wrote: »
    Maybe this was his (RvP's) plan all along- force Arsenal into action on the transfer market and then revisit his decision in August? I doubt it myself but it wouldn't surprise me.

It would be great if it were true, one can hope.
    He is a striker afterall, and up until now we never had a real attacking threat for him to play off, now Giroud & Podolski and maybe Cazorla.
    He would be mad to leave now.He could finish off his contract and sign a new deal if this season goes well.

Agent claims RVP deal with Juventus is done --
    http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d87KZ?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=arsenal

No concrete proof though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Maybe not, if he stays an Arsenal player, he may feel good about it.
    He did do all that **** before we bought anyone.

We had Podolski and Giroud before his statement. If Giroud wasn't confirmed when he released the statement it was certainly close to complete.

We had Podolski and Giroud before his statement. If Giroud wasn't confirmed when he released the statement it was certainly close to complete.

Yeh and he showed them and our current squad a huge dis respect with his statement, aswell as the club on a whole.

If he were to stay he would have to do a lot make amends to the board, Wenger and his team mates new and old and also the fans.

With everyday his statement looks more and more about what it really was money.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement