Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

gosplan wrote: »
    Had this discussion with a few utd mates they reckon he won't start the big games but will get plenty of games over the season

With due respect, Fergie's rediculously hard to second guess and they're conjecturing about one player who hasn't played a competitive game and another who isn't at the club.

Very true least the saga is coming to an end

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

If we sell RVP to Man Utd then it puts a real dampener on the great summer that Arsenal have had so far IMO. We are left upfront with Giroud and Podolski who have had great goalscoring records from last season, but have never played a premierleague match before. So there could be a bedding in period with them. Basically we will be starting a season not knowing where the goals are going to be coming from.

Id personally reject the £22m from Man Utd and just keep RVP for one last season. Reasons being that im not convinced that the £22m will be re-invested back into the squad. Champions league qualification (or even Better) is worth more than £22m. At the end of next season RVP will be hitting 30, so if he leaves on a free so be it. Posters on the Utd thread have also said that the £22M fee is £15m or so upfront and the rest is based on appearances, if thats the case I definitely wouldnt be interested in selling.

If RVP stays I think we can push for the title if things go our way. I dont think there would be any danger in not getting the best out of him, because its in his interests to be playing well, if he wants one last big pay day with another club when he moves on a free transfer next summer.

The only negative that I could see is that in January he will be free to discuss his options with other clubs, which may prove disruptive further down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Apparently Fergie is gonna offer RvP the same wages as Rooney (£220k/pw IIRC). If that's true it's going to be very harsh on their wage bill and probably won't leave enough wage money to sign the top quality central midfielder that they've been crying out for.

Supposedly wenger is adamant not to sell to utd, but board will sell if valuation is met
    Sad if true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Walcott's out of the next friendly.

I assume most of this is Wenger just not wanting them to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Supposedly wenger is adamant not to sell to utd, but board will sell if valuation is met
    Sad if true
    If he is over ruled he should walk, transfers should be 100% his call, I can't see him going unless Wenger rubber stamps it.

On it being united I completely against it, but if he is there marque signing then that's not an overall bad thing, they badly need a centre mid and possibly a left back. Bringing RVP in doesn't enhance there frontline greatly as it will be acase of him or Rooney, maybe just gives Rooney more break time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Lads (this is opinion), City will come in with a bid.

RVP will be told that its City or stay.

He will go to City.

We will get our valuation.

City are not going to be finished with singing Rodwell. Despite RVP's perceived intent to go to United, Mancini's protestations, etc, you know well that City are monitoring this, and have the firepower to intervene at a moments notice.

Plus, they don't want United getting him, for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

The fee for United should be at least £10m higher than for anyone else. City have the money so stick them in the same bracket. Basically, If the asking price is £20m, it should be £30m for direct rivals. No point in strengthening only to hand one of our best players to a direct rival. If they want him they pay over the odds or do without.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

So when RvP said in his statement that his vision didnt match the club's, what he meant was the vision of a huge increase in his bank balance. Glad that was cleared up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

If as appears likley at this stage RVP is going where do people want the money re-invested - llorente, Baines, who??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

If as appears likley at this stage RVP is going where do people want the money re-invested - llorente, Baines, who??

We've already spent 40 million, the club looks set to make about half of that back. My expectation based on recent years is that our spending is well and truly finished for this summer. I hope not but with our board....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Yes, Baines please. I think Gibbs is a bit green and injury prone while Santos is only recently back from a long injury lay off and his defensive qualities aren't as good as his attacking ones. he's be better off as a winger TBH.
    Or perhaps someone who can play RB or LB since Sagna is out for a while (I don't really trust Jenkinson at this point, while Yennaris lacks experience) - someone like Eboué, except better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

jordainius wrote: »
    We've already spent 40 million, the club looks set to make about half of that back. My expectation based on recent years is that our spending is well and truly finished for this summer. I hope not but with our board....

Wenger said he was still looking to buy a day or two ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

We won't [as much I'd love us to] sign a left back. Tbh it's not a huge priority either; the boss seems to want to persevere with Gibbs and he probably deserves one last chance to prove his fitness. Santos is a reasonable back up - very much an Eboue style player. If we're signing back up full backs then its the other side of the pitch I'd be looking at; I'm not sure we can rely on Yennaris or Jenkinson for any prolonged period of time if Sagna gets injured again. An Oleg Luzhny mk2 would be nice.

Midfield all depends on Song, I think we'll keep him but time will tell. If he leaves then an M'Vila + Sahin replacement duo would be decent business depending on how much we get.

I'm quite keen on signing Kevin Mirallas as a sort-of replacement if/when RVP goes as he can cover wing too and that'd leave us pretty well stocked up front. Obviously I'm assuming Walcott stays and arseblog is of the opinion he'll only go if the board sell him. Which would be a mistake imo. Gervinho going to the ACN probably means we do need some cover on the wings regardless of the RVP situation.

I can see maybe 2 more players coming in and RVP/Bendtner/Arshavin/Squillaci heading for the exits. Strangely think Chamakh will stay and will play a few times before xmas!

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Wenger said he was still looking to buy a day or two ago.

He has said that a lot in the last 8 years without any end result!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

cson wrote: »
    We won't [as much I'd love us to] sign a left back. Tbh it's not a huge priority either; the boss seems to want to persevere with Gibbs and he probably deserves one last chance to prove his fitness. Santos is a reasonable back up - very much an Eboue style player. If we're signing back up full backs then its the other side of the pitch I'd be looking at; I'm not sure we can rely on Yennaris or Jenkinson for any prolonged period of time if Sagna gets injured again. An Oleg Luzhny mk2 would be nice.

Give Gibbs until January to prove himself. If he doesn't deliver in the first half of the season then it should be a case of finding ourselves a Lb who is proven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Arsenal have to sell. United know it. When have they ever let teaching a player a lesson get in the way of a transfer fee.
    United will happily walk away if the price is too high .
    Fergie is famous for saying there is no value in the market and pulling out whenever he thinks he is being monkeyed around.
    The shareholders at arsenal are gonna ask arsene can he get top 4 without rvp. When he says yes he will be sold for the best they can get for him .
    He could very well go to city once united are used to ramp up his price but will he want to compete with tevez aguero bollatelli and dzeko and whatever other johnny come latelys get signed for a starting place.
    Going to city can be very bad for your carreer even if you are one of the biggest talents in football at the minute.
    Im sure a few ex arsenal players would vouch for that .

Things have gone very quiet on the Theo Walcott situation- I've heard nothing about contract negotiations so is is safe to presume the club are trying to sell him?

cloptrop wrote: »
    Arsenal have to sell. United know it. When have they ever let teaching a player a lesson get in the way of a transfer fee.
    United will happily walk away if the price is too high .
    Fergie is famous for saying there is no value in the market and pulling out whenever he thinks he is being monkeyed around.
    The shareholders at arsenal are gonna ask arsene can he get top 4 without rvp. When he says yes he will be sold for the best they can get for him .
    He could very well go to city once united are used to ramp up his price but will he want to compete with tevez aguero bollatelli and dzeko and whatever other johnny come latelys get signed for a starting place.
    Going to city can be very bad for your carreer even if you are one of the biggest talents in football at the minute.
    Im sure a few ex arsenal players would vouch for that .

We don't have to sell. We can keep him, run down his contract and as a professional he should do a job for us in order to secure work next season.

The signings made so far this summer doesn't suggest the club is after top 4 this year, seems like they want something a bit more in the trophy cabinet at last. RvP heading to city shouldn't be a problem for his career either as it's getting pretty clear that the man wants money primarily which city can deliver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

He's generally considered to be a better plaayer than Rooney, surely Fergie will drop Rooney for the big games and play RVP?

• Advertisement

He's generally considered to be a better plaayer than Rooney, surely Fergie will drop Rooney for the big games and play RVP?

I wouldn't agree with that, can't see them dropping Rooney, they'll both start for MU. Only question is which one of them gets shifted out on the wing or behind the lone striker

I wouldn't agree with that, can't see them dropping Rooney, they'll both start for MU. Only question is which one of them gets shifted out on the wing or behind the lone striker

RvP in the hole and Rooney up top would be an amazing partnership I think.

Seeing RvP in a united jersey would be sick to look at however.

Tbh the financial thing isn't a huge deal; we have shirt sponsorship and kit manufacturer deals up for the renewal within the next couple of years so making a loss this summer isn't going to put us under major pressure.

It'd be worth eschewing the fee as a symbol that the club are not to be dicked around with when it comes to players angling for a move. In terms of laying down a marker; it'd be very much worth it.

We spent the money from the Queensland rd sales and selling vela we haven't touched our kitty let alone any money from the sale from rvp

If/when rvp goes to utd sahib is coming straight in good start

Off-topic obviously but does anyone know of a gambling site that gives a bonus before settling the first bet? Bwin does but I've already used that one up. :pac: I want to lob a few quid on Arsenal for the league. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

He may be a lazy git on the pitch but congrats to Arshavin on the birth of his third child and for having an exceptionally nice wife.

yulia-arshavina.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Just on the Song thing. I reckon Song told his agent to go have a look around and start making inquiries to see if anyone else would be interested in him.

As it has been pointed out, we now have loads of midfielders and at the very least I would imagine that Song would like a confidence boost if nothing else. I would imagine that Song would love to stay with us but if you saw that many players coming in to play in your position during the off season, I'd say you could be a little worried too that you are being replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

If we keep Song/Walcott, bring in Mirallas and offload RVP i still think our team is much stronger than last years.
    Maybe not string enough yet to win the league but we shouldn't be too far off either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It's page 666 of the superthread!!!!!! :eek::eek:

(depending on your viewing settings)

Either RVP's leaving will be announced in the next 10 or so posts or he's staying, mark my words.

He may be a lazy git on the pitch but congrats to Arshavin on the birth of his third child and for having an exceptionally nice wife

My wife is hotter than that ... and he's still just a lazy git who should be doing way better.

...and his clothes label is sh1te. :D

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

My wife is hotter than that ...

Pics or GTFO :pac:

The league talk is a bit premature tbh; City, Chelsea and United are still ahead of us imo whilst Spurs could be anything under AVB. We've done good business this season and hopefully there's more to come, the others are just that little bit ahead of us with the depth and quality in the squad imo. that being said I'd love us to win one of the domestic cups just to put the trophy thing to bed and I think we're well capable of doing that.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Pics or GTFO :pac:

She'd be pissed off with me if she knew but fcuk it.

The league talk is a bit premature tbh; City, Chelsea and United are still ahead of us imo whilst Spurs could be anything under AVB. We've done good business this season and hopefully there's more to come, the others are just that little bit ahead of us with the depth and quality in the squad imo. that being said I'd love us to win one of the domestic cups just to put the trophy thing to bed and I think we're well capable of doing that.

I don't think we'll win the league but I think we have a better chance than a 1 in 13 chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Shes an absolute minter, ya lucky git :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Jesus I just realized I've been with birds uglier than Martin Keown

**** my life :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Can't see Spurs being anywhere near us this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Mickeroo wrote: »

Can't see Spurs being anywhere near us this year.

Unemployed Nintendo salesman Harry Redknapp wouldn't agree.He thinks it's between City,United,Chelsea and Spurs AGAIN this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Unemployed Nintendo salesman Harry Redknapp wouldn't agree.He thinks it's between City,United,Chelsea and Spurs AGAIN this season.

As easl of approval for anyone considering backing Arsenal if ever on e was needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

HazDanz wrote: »
    RvP in the hole and Rooney up top would be an amazing partnership I think.

Seeing RvP in a united jersey would be sick to look at however.

I think vice versa. Rooney, depending on his fitness (he looked knackered at the Euros) would be much better in the hole. He played mainly AM last season, from what I saw.

RVP only looks good in a gunners' jersey. I'd hang onto him for the season, run out the contract if it came to that. A good season and some silverware would change his mind but if wishes were fishes..........

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

We've a better squad than anyone bar United & City at the moment but obviously van Persie leaving will probably change that.

By most accounts we tried hard to bring in a marquee signing last summer to replace Fabregas, so hopefully we'll go one better and bring one or two in this time. If we sign Llorente (he's got 1 year left on his deal and isn't signing, apparently?), Sahin and maybe another right-back, then we'll still have a super team.

Can't see us signing Llorente; we've spent a lot on Giroud and we'll only ever be playing one big man up top. If RVP goes the 'replacement' signing screams Mirallas. It has Wenger written all over it.

Agreed on the RB situation; something needs doing.

I'm getting it already bout us been a feeder club, can't hold onto our players, going to utd cause he won't win anything with ye

Going to be a long season listening to that, then watching him score 20+ goals and have Rooney an rio on his back celebrating

Fcuk fcuk fcuk

Gregory van der Wiel would be an ideal solution for RB. I've been saying it for years. He's an excellent attacking option and could fill in at DM also. The Coq would be a great understudy to this guy also. With Sagna returning there's perfect cover and experience to rely on.

Mirallas does look like a Wenger signing, plus he's Belgian. They're seriously on the up again, although what happens with the likes of Campbell & Afobe come next season? So many things to consider when you have quite talented youngsters coming through the youth ranks.

Reus is another young forward I've been keeping my eye on. If we were to go for any more German players it would be himself and Muller.

pandaboy wrote: »
    Gregory van der Wiel would be an ideal solution for RB. I've been saying it for years. He's an excellent attacking option and could fill in at DM also. The Coq would be a great understudy to this guy also. With Sagna returning there's perfect cover and experience to rely on.

Mirallas does look like a Wenger signing, plus he's Belgian. They're seriously on the up again, although what happens with the likes of Campbell & Afobe come next season? So many things to consider when you have quite talented youngsters coming through the youth ranks.

Reus is another young forward I've been keeping my eye on. If we were to go for any more German players it would be himself and Muller.

I used to always worry bout these talented young players we had coming through, but that has to stop if there good enough they will force there way through no matter what

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hi lads, looking forward to the game on Saturday? As a Sunderland fan I wish I could say I was but our current team is shocking. Any guesses as to how you will line up? Presuming we don't sign anyone this week I'd guess we'll line up as follows:
    Mignolet

Cuellar O'Shea Bramble Richardson

Larsson Cattermole Gardner Colback McClean

Sessegnon

2-0 Arsenal without us really troubling you if we go with that IMO. Brown and Bardsley are injured and Bramble is about a stone overweight. Could be a long afternoon for us.

Fingers crossed we'll sign a couple this week.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Reus signed for Dortmund last summer, he's out of our bracket now.

I used to always worry bout these talented young players we had coming through, but that has to stop if there good enough they will force there way through no matter what

That is true and I'm looking forward to seeing if these lads can cut it, Eisfeld especially. I wonder will he be sent out on loan in January. He has the capabilities of doing well with a Championship club.
    Paully D wrote: »
    Hi lads, looking forward to the game on Saturday? As a Sunderland fan I wish I could say I was but our current team is shocking. Any guesses as to how you will line up? Presuming we don't sign anyone this week I'd guess we'll line up as follows:
    Mignolet

Sessegnon

2-0 Arsenal without us really troubling you if we go with that IMO. Brown and Bardsley are injured and Bramble is about a stone overweight. Could be a long afternoon for us.

You think MON would risk Bramble? I think it'll be a slow enough game but I wouldn't underestimate Sunderland either. First game of the season and we pretty much are unaware as to who's going to line out for us because of incoming international fixtures. But I'd presume, if RVP isn't shipped out;

My first preference is in brackets
    Szczęsny

(Yennaris)/Jenkinson Koscielny Vermaelen Gibbs

Song

Arteta Ramsey

Walcott (RVP)/Podolski Gervinho

Podolski's not playing an international so He'll prob have a good chance of playing, and was on fire at the weekend. I've been impressed by Yennaris in the pre-season. He provides good cover and has a nice dribble so he can cut wide or inside if given the chance. Jenkinson has a mean cross but with Walcott on I think Yennaris would provide more options.

Reus signed for Dortmund last summer, he's out of our bracket now.

Feck, just saw how much they signed him for. Wonder would they swap for Bendtner. He's popular with Bundesliga clubs now :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Paully D wrote: »
    Mignolet

Sessegnon

I'm much more confidant after the Koln game. Podolski and Cazorla in particular seemed to fit in no problem. Giroud wasnt far behind either. Obviously different level compared to Sunderland but it was a much needed boost of confidance. Barring any more injuries this week, RB looks like our weak point due to having no expierenced back up for there.

I think the only definite for us is Szczesny and maybe Song. Gibbs and Santos are fit likewise with Mertesacker, Koscielny and Vermaelen (and Djourou but he doesnt count right now). Three out of those five with likely Santos and Mertesacker missing out. Midfield and up front are toss ups. We have a lot of options there and no real clue how Wenger is going to line them up.

Personally, I'd go with:

Szczesny

Yennaris - Koscielny - Vermaelen - Gibbs

Song
    Arteta
    Cazorla

- Gervinho
    Podolski
    Giroud

Chamberlain and Walcott on in the second half to cause havoc for your hopefully worn out full backs. van Persie too if he is still around.

Thats what I'd do, but I'd expect Jenkinson ahead of Yennaris and Walcott ahead of Podolski with Gervinho on the left. van Persie will probably start if he is still with us, taking the place of Giroud.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement