Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

L'prof wrote: »
    Right so Ted.

No problem, just try reading someone's post before replying to it from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Maybe the weeding-out process could start with the medical/fitness team as our players seem to pick up very serious injuries quite easily. There is not a season gone by for many years that a very important player has been missing for months for some reason and then has a relapse in training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

What I wouldn't do to hear "boring boring Arsenal" again on the back of another 1-0 win...

I think there are a few around here who were in nappies at that stage. :D
    greendom wrote: »
    So a club of Arsenal's stature should be winning trophies more often. But it's ok for the team to have a reputation of playing football like Stoke or Bolton under Allardyce.

What is Arsenal's stature ?
    See the above post.
    Arsenal under Graham won leagues and in many of those years were known as one of the most boring teams in the league.

Oh and btw we don't play attractive attacking football anymore, we play Grade A sh**e and rollover like lambs. :mad:
    That is now the reputation of Arsenal.
    So that is another of Arsene's excuses out the window.
    Apparently this is what we're spending on wages from arsenalmania, Bendtner and Denilson not included.

Goalkeepers:

Almunia – £60,000 PW = £3,120,000 PY
    Fabianski – £50,000 PW = £2,600,000 PY
    Mannone – £30,000 PW = £1,560,000 PY
    Szczesny – £50,000 PW = £2,600,000 PY

Total Wage Bill Per Week = £190,000 PW
    Total Wage Bill Per Year = £9,880,000 PY

Defenders:

Sagna – £60,000 PW = £3,120,000 PY
    Santos – 50,000 PW = £2,600,000 PY
    Gibbs – £40,000 PW = £2,080,000 PY
    Jenkinson – £20,000 PW = £1,040,000 PY
    Koscielny – £50,000 PW = £2,600,000 PY
    Mertesacker – 60,000 PW = £3,120,000 PY
    Vermaelen -£70,000 PW = £3,640,000 PY
    Squillaci – £60,000 PW = £3,120,000 PY
    Djourou – £50,000 PW = £2,600,000 PY

Total Wage Bill Per Week = £460,000 PW
    Total Wage Bill Per Year = £23,920,000 PY

Midfielders:

Arteta – £70,000 PW = £3,640,000 PY
    Wilshere – £55,000 PW = £2,860,000 PY
    Ramsey – £55,000 PW = £2,860,000 PY
    Song – £55,000 PW = £2,860,000 PY
    Benayoun – £70,000 PW (On Loan – Season) = £3,640,000 PY
    Arshavin – £70,000 PW = £3,640,000 PY
    Rosicky – £60,000 PW = £3,120,000 PY
    Coquelin – £25,000 PW = £1,300,000 PY
    Diaby – £50,000 PW = £2,600,000 PY

Total Wage Bill Per Week =£497,000 PW
    Total Wage Bill Per Year = £26,520,000 PY

Strikers:

Van Persie – £90,000 PW – £4,680,000 PY
    Chamakh – £60,000 PW = £3,120,000 PY
    Gervinho – £55,000 PW = £2,860,000 PY
    Walcott – £70,000 PW = £3,640,000 PY
    Park – £40,000 PW = £2,080,000 PY
    Miyaichi – £15,000 PW = £780,000 PY
    Oxlade-Chamberlain PW – £20,000 PW = £1,040,000 PY
    Henry – £70,000 PW(On Loan – 2 Months) – £560,000 For The Loan

Total Wage Bill Per Week = £420,000 PW
    Total Wage Bill Per Year = £18,760,000 PY

Squad Total Wage Bill Per Week = £1,567,000
    Squad Total Wage Bill Per Year = £79,080,000

Oh Dear God. :eek:
    No wonder Djourou always has that look of almost disbelief on his face.
    He probably can't believe some club is not alone willing to pay him so much a week, they are also dumb enough to give him a contract extension of a few more years.
    So you want us to remove 11 players in one season???

They are not doing a job so get rid.
    Would Fabianski, Squillaci, Djourou, Benayoun, Arshavin, Rosicky, Chamakh, Park, Walcott, plus the boyos on loan (Denilison, Bendtner) really be missed all that much ?
    Some of the ones on that list should be done under some law for impersonating professional footballers.
    Agreed, but I do remember Wenger saying he doesn't like there to be the big disparity between the higest and lowest paid at Arsenal for some reason.

If he said that then it is yet again an example of the grade horse**ite he comes out with.
    You can't reward brillance if you tie the wages to donkeys.
    How the fook can you say that RVP is only worth a few grand more than squillaci or chamakh ? :mad::mad:

No wonder Arsenal are screwed when you see some of the dross that are on long term decent contracts and then the ones who really contribute like RVP are on not much more.
    RVP could easily get 150k somewhere else.

Wasn't it a 5k payrise that the multifunctional hard working Flamini left over ?

I am not allowed discuss …

Yet the fans boo, insult & threaten players when they leave for what could be considered market value wages.

Wengers policies are backward, counter productive and ignorant to the game.

He rewards average players with extraordinary contracts and seems to base his squad selections on what he sees on the training pitch alone, because when it comes to a proper game, they have been bottling it for years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I remember Leeds United loved paying so called 'market value' wages to try and outcompete the big boys. Didn't work so well for them. In this day and age £200k+ per week for players in a team is a recipe for disaster.
    Still though, offloading the likes of Diaby and Almunia* (60k each) would free up money to give somebody like RvP a wage packet of over 100k.

* Not that anybody would take them unless they were willing to significantly lower said wages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

No problem, just try reading someone's post before replying to it from now on.

I read your post and that's what you were implying...
    jmayo wrote: »
    They are not doing a job so get rid.
    Would Fabianski, Squillaci, Djourou, Benayoun, Arshavin, Rosicky, Chamakh, Park, Walcott, plus the boyos on loan (Denilison, Bendtner) really be missed all that much?

I'm not saying I want them at the club, but they have to be gotten rid of gradually I'm afraid. Such an overhaul would do us absolutely no favours at all. Add a few and get rid of a few is the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Better value is an understatement.
    They also put in a shift for their manager unlike Arsene FC.

I always thought the 11 in your username was a reference to RVP's old squad number, I didnt realise it was your age aswell, very sorry if we have been a bit harsh on you snapper ;)

I read your post and that's what you were implying...

No never said to get rid of them all in one season, you brought that up for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

In other news. Arshavin, chamakh, park, as well as jenkinson and afobe are all set to play in the reserves tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

In other news. Arshavin, chamakh, park, as well as jenkinson and afobe are all set to play in the reserves tonight

Good too see afobe back he is a serious player
    There is a nucleas of a very good team starting to come up, secz,coq,frimpong,ox,wilshere,Ramsey,ryo,campbell,afobe,ozzy

Wouldn't be surprised to see all these players feature next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I'm not saying I want them at the club, but they have to be gotten rid of gradually I'm afraid. Such an overhaul would do us absolutely no favours at all. Add a few and get rid of a few is the way to go.

Seriously why not have a massive clearout ?
    It is not as if they are adding massively to the team and in fact they are if anything demoralising for the real decent hardworking players.

Fecking hell you could have cardboard cutouts that might be missed more.

It would be different if your players were necessary to a highly rigid tactical structure and any newbies would take time to get familar with the system.
    As it is there isn't really any decent rigid structures to either attack or defense.
    Passing across the oposition, forgetting to track runners from deep, switching off completely and giving up are not traits that newbies need to learn, but rather traits that the old hands need to forget.

You could grab most decent players, throw them on the pitch, and they
    couldn't look as lost as some of the above manage to achieve when they are there.

If players are experienced and good enough and have proper coaches they would learn to gel on the pitch.

As someone said to me earlier today, Wenger appears to becoming another Benitez where his discision making is concerned.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Is this on the arsenal player?

Poor Park must be looking forward to military service at this stage.

I know its an old argument, but how many of our players would the four teams around us take into their starting 11?

Vermaelan, Sagna, Wilshere, Van Persie?

Edit: just see its not.
    Its on in carrow road. No wonder the pitch is in shiite.
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/jenkinson-set-to-return-in-reserves-game

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Is this on the arsenal player?

Poor Park must be looking forward to military service at this stage.

I know its an old argument, but how many of our players would the four teams around us take into their starting 11?

Vermaelan, Sagna, Wilshere, Van Persie?

Edit: just see its not.
    Its on in carrow road. No wonder the pitch is in shiite.
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/jenkinson-set-to-return-in-reserves-game

Going by this season i'd reckon Kos and Chesney would be in with a great shout too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Havent had the chance to post on here much the last week or so, but been some good points made, some of them wages are a joke, but one I think that is ok that some people gave out about is Coquelins on 25 k a week, hes had a lot of game time this year filled in very competently playing out of position has worked hard every game unlike most and I think if it hadnt been for the need for him to fill in at full back he would now be getting game time over Song who just hasnt had any kind of form lately, at this stage im looking forward to our full backs being fit so we can drop Coq in there.

I think most of our recent problems on the pitch are in midfield our front three of Gerv, Rvp and Ox is good our defence options im ok with even Jenkinson coming back now im happy to see, its our dm in song whose been in poor form and really aint a DM at all, and AM were we have Ramsey or Rosicky who just cant cut it at all and are leaving the front three starved of service now I know theres not many Fabregas out there but either find one if this is the system you want or adapt the formaton to the players at your disposal to a suitable formation because at the momment it just isnt working we look so flat when we get in the final third, I know people give out about Walcott and im by no means his biggest fan at all but his supply this year has been woeful Gerv, Walcott and RVP could make good runs all day long and not recieve one good ball into there stride.
    Good too see afobe back he is a serious player
    There is a nucleas of a very good team starting to come up, secz,coq,frimpong,ox,wilshere,Ramsey,ryo,campbell,afobe,ozzy

Wouldn't be surprised to see all these players feature next year

Havent seen much of Afobe but have heard great thing and like most i love seeing exciting new talent coming through and making the grade like Coq and Ox this year give you hope for the future of the club but we cant rely on youth alone we need to buy fierce competitive players, with a winning mentallity ala Keane or Viera the only on who might turn out to be of that ilk in that bunch is Frimpong but its to early to expect that much from him plus hes a bit of a sicknote already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I know people give out about Walcott and im by no means his biggest fan at all but his supply this year has been woeful Gerv, Walcott and RVP could make good runs all day long and not recieve one good ball into there stride.

In Walcott's case that guy can't cross a ball to save his life though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Galvasean wrote: »
    In Walcott's case that guy can't cross a ball to save his life though.

Oh I know that id be an idiot to try defends Walcotts performances :), but my point still stands you could have three of the best players in the world playing in our fron three and theyd be getting no proper supply form the AM with Rosicky or Ramsey in there, hence why Ive said (which I cant believe ive done to be honest) but give Arshavin a shot in there by god he cant be worse than them to and we have seen he can do that role for Russia when he wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

I'm not a Gunners fan firstly to clarify. I have to ask ye lads, who is Nasri to pass comment on Arsenal when he up and left ye? He's come out today saying ye have to win ugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I'm not a Gunners fan firstly to clarify. I have to ask ye lads, who is Nasri to pass comment on Arsenal when he up and left ye? He's come out today saying ye have to win ugly.

Pretty rich coming from him considering if you look at hes form last season, when Arsenal were flying he was playing great but when we hit our bad patch Sami was knowhere to be seen, hasnt exactly set the world alight with Man City either.

Having said all that he probably is right though :o but he should still stfu :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Nasri's a wànker. Hate the sight of his stupid face

Imagine if Kroenke or Usmanov proposed to wipe out the stadium dept we have and cancel our current commercialy deals that are holding us back.

We would have about 50m extra to spend every season and would truly be self sustainable.

Would it really make a dent to Kroenke's $3 billion fortune to pay whatever we still owe on the stadium.

Wonder would Wenger agree to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Eastmond on loan to Wycombe till end of season.

As a Wycombe resident, I can prolly gauge opinion on how he does from mates who support the club.

Imagine if Kroenke or Usmanov proposed to wipe out the stadium dept we have and cancel our current commercialy deals that are holding us back.

We would have about 50m extra to spend every season and would truly be self sustainable.

Would it really make a dent to Kroenke's $3 billion fortune to pay whatever we still owe on the stadium.

Wonder would Wenger agree to it.

Think it's still about 200m left to pay. Wishful thinking but would be nice alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

No we wouldn't.

We'd be as bad as Chelsea or City if that came to pass.

I'd be seriously considering continuing supporting the club if that ever came to pass and to be honest I'd probably stop supporting them.

G.K. wrote: »
    Eastmond on loan to Wycombe till end of season.

As a Wycombe resident, I can prolly gauge opinion on how he does from mates who support the club.

Don't think he's good enough to make it at our level but he'll carve out a decent career a lá Sidwell or Larsson after they left us.
    Think it's still about 200m left to pay. Wishful thinking but would be nice alright!

£225m in bonds that will paid off over the next 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think we deserve 1 break in terms of having the stadium paid off. City didn't even have to pay for theirs ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

I think we deserve 1 break in terms of having the stadium paid off. City didn't even have to pay for theirs ffs.

Even if we wanted to and Kroenke or whoever agreed to it, it's not possible. The bonds are payable over a fixed 21 year term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Paleface

They don't own their stadium and are only leasing it from Manchester City Council.

cson wrote: »
    No we wouldn't.

We'd be as bad as Chelsea or City if that came to pass.

I'd be seriously considering continuing supporting the club if that ever came to pass and to be honest I'd probably stop supporting them.

The moral high ground will become very tiring if we go another six years without a premier league.

I think we've suffered long enough and need a little help to compete.

Paleface wrote: »
    They don't own their stadium and are only leasing it from Manchester City Council.

How much is the lease ? Would it be considered a fair market rate ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Paleface

How much is the lease ? Would it be considered a fair market rate ?

No idea to be honest. I know that they renegotiated it recently to allow for the naming rights to be sold by the club for 10 years. This of course was all a ploy to bypass the FFP rules and Etihad gave them a massive lump of cash. :mad:

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    Even if we wanted to and Kroenke or whoever agreed to it, it's not possible. The bonds are payable over a fixed 21 year term.

Think i remember Glazidis being asked last year by a fan and he said it was possible but there would be financial penalties to doing it.

If stan guarantees the debt it would release 120 million cash straight away

I see Jenkinson has slipped into the reserves un-noticed tonight. That's pretty good news.

Tempting stuff, which will get more tempting as this drought goes on.

Does Stan Kroenke even want to do something like that?
    Much like everyone else on the board, he seems to be "content".

I see Jenkinson has slipped into the reserves un-noticed tonight. That's pretty good news.

I wouldnt really rate Jenkinson.
    In fact, i think he is awful.
    He deserves a chance, he's only young and hasnt even had a chance to settle yet. Poor fella looks totally lost and overwhelmed at times.

I wouldnt really rate Jenkinson.
    In fact, i think he is awful.
    He deserves a chance, he's only young and hasnt even had a chance to settle yet. Poor fella looks totally lost and overwhelmed at times.

I'd much rather see him in defence than Squillaci or Djourou

• Advertisement

Did you watch him his last few games?

Worse than what we saw on Saturday ?

I was replyign to Radharc na Sleibhte

Tempting stuff, which will get more tempting as this drought goes on.

Does Stan Kroenke even want to do something like that?
    Much like everyone else on the board, he seems to be "content".

He don't even have to pay it just guarantee it, don't think he ever will

Regards Jenkinson I was liking him when he got a run of games def potential there

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

meriwether wrote: »
    Why are Liverpool the only comparable team there?

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/

Here's a link to net transfer spend since 2003. All clubs have spent more on transfers than Arsenal.
    In fact, every current premiership team, bar Blackburn, spent more than us after netting sales off in that period.

That is testament to a few things:

-The humongous spend by the oligarchs/Arabs
    -The ludicrous fashion most clubs are run in
    -The achievements of Wenger.

While building a new stadium.

I'd like to see Liverpool build Stanley Park and spend what we spent on players, and see how they would have done.
    Arsenal making a 30 million transfer profit is quite so laudable when you realise that they've spent more than 500 million on wages in the same period.

wages-transfers.png

wages.png

Like I say, most of those teams aren't comparable. Spurs would be one of the bigger spenders and even after transfers are factored in, Arsenal spend roughly 20 million a season more than they do.

• Advertisement

Arshavin with two for the reserves hopefully it will give him some confidence

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Benayoun is having a great game apparently.

Benayoun is having a great game apparently.

Norwich have a young team out but hopefully give a few lads confidence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Arsenal making a 30 million transfer profit is quite so laudable when you realise that they've spent more than 500 million on wages in the same period.

wages-transfers.png

wages.png

Like I say, most of those teams aren't comparable. Spurs would be one of the bigger spenders and even after transfers are factored in, Arsenal spend roughly 20 million a season more than they do.

So does all this mean that we're basically now more or less occupying the position we should be occupying based on finances. Spurs are overachieving, whereas Liverpool and Chelsea are underachieving.

So are we sh1t or just average???

Finished 5- 0 with 2 from Arshavin and 1 each from Park, Benayoun and Afobe. Afobe also missed a pen. Decent run out.

I'd much rather see him in defence than Squillaci or Djourou

Well, obviously.
    Id rather Walcott in defense

Jenkinson, yeah, of course, sure thats all he's had...!
    He's got plenty of potential and time to realise it, but the position is Sagnas.

Did you see his bedroom though, reminded me of my own 15 years ago. Arsenal everything. Hes a true gooner and god knows we could do with a few of those.

Henri Lansbruy in goal for West Hsam.

Henri Lansbruy in goal for West Hsam.

Preferred to Almunia ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I wonder could we swap Walcott for Cavani.

I wonder could we swap Walcott for Cavani.

28619d1326337878-pca-dealer-button-954-not-sure-if-serious.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement