Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Well now, that's taking something out of context if ever I've seen it!? I'm sitting here wondering whether you actually read my post or just saw one line that you disagreed with and decided to call me a deluded fan.

I was simply saying that Arsenal played magnificent football in that period. I don't think even you can disagree with that!?

Yeah, yeah you make your petty jokes because I support the man. Typical!

This is the epitome of what's wrong with this thread at the moment. Just because I wrote a post which had a pro-Wenger outlook I'm disregarded as a deluded fan. I clearly stated in my post that it had nothing to do with the pro- or anti-Wenger argument, yet you went ahead and made it a Wenger argument anyway. Well done, congratulations.

The bits bolded show exactly why I rarely post here these days and am even reluctant to click on the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Any sources for the Arshavin story?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Galvasean wrote: »
    Well now, that's taking something out of context if ever I've seen it!? I'm sitting here wondering whether you actually read my post or just saw one line that you disagreed with and decided to call me a deluded fan.

I was simply saying that Arsenal played magnificent football in that period. I don't think even you can disagree with that!?

Yeah, yeah you make your petty jokes because I support the man. Typical!

This is the epitome of what's wrong with this thread at the moment. Just because I wrote a post which had a pro-Wenger outlook I'm disregarded as a deluded fan. I clearly stated in my post that it had nothing to do with the pro- or anti-Wenger argument, yet you went ahead and made it a Wenger argument anyway. Well done, congratulations.
    The bits bolded show exactly why I rarely post here these days and am even reluctant to click on the thread.

Not sure if agreeing or disagreeing with me...

fry.PNG?1307468855

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

keano_afc wrote: »
    Any sources for the Arshavin story?

https://twitter.com/#!/SkySports/status/173086273932771329

Official Skysports twitter, but nothing from Arsenal or Zenit.
    http://m.skysports.com/article/football/yourclub/7543295?compid=263&teamid=413
    Here's a breaking thing:
    Andrey Arshavin is poised to rejoin Zenit St Petersburg before tonight's Russian transfer deadline.
    Arsenal have agreed to loan the 30-year-old to his former club despite Arsene Wenger's claim earlier today that no deal was close "at the moment".
    Arshavin, who was an instant success following his arrival three years ago, has started just eight times in the Premier League this season and his stock with the club's supporters has plummeted in recent months.
    Zenit now have until 9pm (GMT) to agree personal terms with the forward and finalise the necessary paperwork.
    Earlier, asked whether Arshavin had been in touch with Zenit, Wenger said: "I have no proof. I do not check the phone bills of Andrey Arshavin so I don't know.

That's just awesome.

Agreeing, albeit in a very ham-fisted way. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Agreeing, albeit in a very ham-fisted way. :o

Okay :)

I'm inclined to agree with you as well, I'm definitely spending a lot less time on this thread too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

Same here. It's like Groundhog Day in here for the past few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Considering the remainder of the season, and how injury prone Arsenal have been, they should have kept him. Even if he's not what he was, he's better than nothing.
    On several occasions we'd have been better playing with ten men than playing with eleven and Arshavin being one.

I dont really know how I want this to go. If he does crap, they'll send him back. If he does great, Wenger might decide to keep him. Unless he maintains a "good" rating each game for them, I reckon he'll be back for next season :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

cson wrote: »
    Same here. It's like Groundhog Day in here for the past few months.

Same here. It's like Groundhog Day in here for the past few months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Andrey Arshavin ‏ @AndrArshavin23
    It's done.

There we go. Hopefully we can sell him on permanently for a few bob in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I dont know why, but ive a strong feeling well be seeing the real Arshavin playing for Zenit performing well week in week out and playing in his prefered role.

Also as mush as weve all gave out about him on here is there any sense in further weakening the team at this stage when we cant even bring in replacements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Arshavin out on loan is just wrong on so many levels! If we're not going to receive a transfer fee in this window, we really need he in the squad right now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I guess Oxo is gonna be his direct replacement.

Delighted he has gone. Though I would have preferred it it was on a permanent basis instead of a loan deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

L'prof wrote: »
    Arshavin out on loan is just wrong on so many levels! If we're not going to receive a transfer fee in this window, we really need he in the squad right now!

Possibly but on the other hand, he offers very little that benny and rosicky couldn't at a stretch and if Wenger's serious about reforming the squad, it sends a good message.

Also, I've no doubt he'll do well there but that doesn't change the decision to dump him. He's had plenty of chances.

P.S. Never sign a player with their own clothes label.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Gonna watch this one with interest. Fairly sure Zenit will play him as a no 10 so let's see if we've just been wasting him this past while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Yeah, at this stage I'm out of this thread too I think.

I mean this was posted the other day
    I have avoided this thread in recent days/weeks due to this childish bickering crap but I feel I may as well just put my opinion out there for what it's worth.

And, I write this not in a pro- or anti-Wenger stance but a pro-football stance. (I hope that becomes clear later in the post)

There are a lot of people on here saying "Ok, Wenger's not an awful manager but I'm sick of just scraping the bare minimum with him. I want success!"
    Well, fair enough. If you want success, as a supporter you're fully entitled to desire that. I began supporting Arsenal FC in 2002, which will probably put me behind a lot of you in terms of years supporting the club. Having begun to watch football intensely around 1999, it took me 3 years to decide what team I'd support. I'd watched United win three consecutive titles, but decided against supporting them.

Midway though the 2001/02 season I began supporting Arsenal. Not because they were on course to win the title but because they played the most beautiful football I'd ever seen. And in the subsequent years played, in my eyes, better football than even the Barcelona team of recent years.

My point is, during about a 6-year period after, I watched Arsenal play a brand of football that I don't think I'll ever see any team ever match. A couple of years ago we were still playing that football, we had gone a few seasons without silverware as we watched United and Chelsea battle it out.

I was much, much, much happier to be sitting in 3rd or 4th and play our football than be winning the Champions League with United's football. This is probably why I think Wenger is/was a fantastic manager. It was his philosophy that created this brand of football.

Jump forward a couple of years and we're still behind United but City's taken Chelsea's place as the rich newcomers. However, there's one difference; We're not playing our football anymore. We still have Wenger at the helm and I don't know if this loss should be attributed to him, the players or the board.

So, my point is that if we could recapture that brand of football, I'd be far happier than if we had 5 or 10 successful years at AFC. There's too much focus on business and success in my opinion. I'd prefer to see us encouraging our youngsters to play beautiful football again, rather than teaching them to be good "technical" players, so we can ship them off to 'Oil Rich FC' or whoever's on top at the time.

Just my two cents...

You might agree with it, you might not, you might argue with it, but it's a well explained tentative statment from an Arsenal fan.

In response, he gets this...
    Well. Im shocked. An Arsenal fan that thinks Arsene Wenger created football. This is how deluded people have become in modern football. They think football was only invented since Sky came along.

Yup. Happy not winning.

Which is basically just insulting someone and belittling their opinion about football - there's no other way to view it.

And the latter poster get's three thanks from his insults from Arsenal regulars in this thread.

I mean what the hell? What you actually say by thanking that statement is that anyone anti-Wenger is on your side and meaningful discussion isn't really important.

I get that you generally try to explain yourselves, especially Jmayo, but you're just pushing this 'us against them' agenda. It's petty and it's bitter and I'm out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Paleface

gosplan wrote: »

I have avoided this thread in recent days/weeks due to this childish bickering crap but I feel I may as well just put my opinion out there for what it's worth.

And, I write this not in a pro- or anti-Wenger stance but a pro-football stance. (I hope that becomes clear later in the post)

There are a lot of people on here saying "Ok, Wenger's not an awful manager but I'm sick of just scraping the bare minimum with him. I want success!"
    Well, fair enough. If you want success, as a supporter you're fully entitled to desire that. I began supporting Arsenal FC in 2002, which will probably put me behind a lot of you in terms of years supporting the club. Having begun to watch football intensely around 1999, it took me 3 years to decide what team I'd support. I'd watched United win three consecutive titles, but decided against supporting them.

Midway though the 2001/02 season I began supporting Arsenal. Not because they were on course to win the title but because they played the most beautiful football I'd ever seen. And in the subsequent years played, in my eyes, better football than even the Barcelona team of recent years.

My point is, during about a 6-year period after, I watched Arsenal play a brand of football that I don't think I'll ever see any team ever match. A couple of years ago we were still playing that football, we had gone a few seasons without silverware as we watched United and Chelsea battle it out.

I was much, much, much happier to be sitting in 3rd or 4th and play our football than be winning the Champions League with United's football. This is probably why I think Wenger is/was a fantastic manager. It was his philosophy that created this brand of football.

Jump forward a couple of years and we're still behind United but City's taken Chelsea's place as the rich newcomers. However, there's one difference; We're not playing our football anymore. We still have Wenger at the helm and I don't know if this loss should be attributed to him, the players or the board.

So, my point is that if we could recapture that brand of football, I'd be far happier than if we had 5 or 10 successful years at AFC. There's too much focus on business and success in my opinion. I'd prefer to see us encouraging our youngsters to play beautiful football again, rather than teaching them to be good "technical" players, so we can ship them off to 'Oil Rich FC' or whoever's on top at the time.

Just my two cents...

You might agree with it, you might not, you might argue with it, but it's a well explained tentative statment from an Arsenal fan.

Well. Im shocked. An Arsenal fan that thinks Arsene Wenger created football. This is how deluded people have become in modern football. They think football was only invented since Sky came along.

Yup. Happy not winning.

Which is basically just insulting someone and belittling their opinion about football - there's no other way to view it.

And the latter poster get's three thanks from his insults from Arsenal regulars in this thread.

I mean what the hell? What you actually say by thanking that statement is that anyone anti-Wenger is on your side and meaningful discussion isn't really important.

I get that you generally try to explain yourselves, especially Jmayo, but you're just pushing this 'us against them' agenda. It's petty and it's bitter and I'm out.

Well said sir!

Can we have two Arsenal threads then?

A Light and Dark side.....and we can meet up somewhere the evening of the champions league final and fight to the death?

It'd be something to look forward to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

The lack of respect shown by certain posters towards those who don't share their opinion is getting rather tiresome and offputting.

And I have noticed that certain posters who used to contribute a lot don't post as regularly anymore (or not at all in a few cases) and that really is a shame, some very good posters seem to have been put off this thread. And a few recent posts indicate that its because of what I outlined in the first sentence of this post.

And lets call a spade a spade- it's (some of) the Wenger out brigade who are being disrespectful to their fellow fans who don't share their views. I say that as a fan who believes Wenger needs to go.

I get that some fans are frustrated, but to take those frustrations out on your fellow fans is stupidity and will only impact on this thread in a negative manner, it already has.

People are entitled to their views, and respect should be shown to other posters, instead of rubbish like gosplan pointed out in his post. We're all supporters of the same club, we all want the same thing at the end of the day- we want what's best for Arsenal FC. The fact is there are many different interpretations of what is the best for the club and we all have our own views.

Now please excuse my cringeworthy finish to this post, but;
    COME ON YOU GUNNERS!!!

Can we have two Arsenal threads then?

A Light and Dark side.....and we can meet up somewhere the evening of the champions league final and fight to the death?

It'd be something to look forward to.

Can I be on which ever side you choose? I dont want to go up against the force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yeah C'mon Arsenal and lets **** Spurs on sunday !!!

Can I be on which ever side you choose? I dont want to go up against the force.

Course you can.

As long as you choose the same side as me.

Fcuking love Sagna

Sagna: "Hazard needs to reflect and make the choice of club for the style of football. If he goes to Spurs, he will be an enemy for me."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

L'prof wrote: »

Jesus it's a ****ing retard move.

I dunno, been trying to stay away from this for the last while. Basically there's plenty of criticism of Wenger warranted but a lot more unwarranted. There's no better replacement right now (AVB, Benitez LOL) and I'd like to see where we're going.

Whatever way our next two matches go the usual people will make their usual points.

BAD = Wenger out.
    Good/indifferent + papering over the cracks/I wish we'd lost so something would've happened to Wenger soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Im hoping they just couldnt agree a fee in time and a pre contract is signed for summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

The loan move of Arshavin will send out a signal to the rest of the squad that if they dont pull up there socks and put the effort in they will follow him out the door, good move by Wenger, maybe he's finally coming around that this team that hes put so much faith in just simply are not good enough for our great club.

Just seen this video now, this lad sure can play the game great prospect for us.

Although saying that, we must switch to 4-4-2 in order to get the best out of our forward men, the system we play now has never worked in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

There's a mix of terrible defending and goalkeeping about all them goals. It didn't impress me too much tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

Quazzie wrote: »
    There's a mix of terrible defending and goalkeeping about all them goals. It didn't impress me too much tbh.

Bad defending/goalkeeping is one thing. But the dude still had to finish them chances. From that video, it looks like he's got a pretty decent strike of the ball with either foot.
    I'm not saying that he'll turn into a world beater or anything, but its a start :p

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »

If Messi or Ronaldo scored them goals we'd be saying how amazing they were :P His free kick at the end is top drawer, no doubting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Even i could look good with a compliation of clips in fairness though ha.

Le Grove and Arteta on sky sports news now.

I'm wondering with all these squad players out on loan (Denilson, Bendtner, Vela and now Arshavin), is it just to save money on wages or do the loaning clubs pay us some cash for the loan?

edit: I know in Denilson's case there is an option to make the deal permanent for £6 million, but I cant see them forking over that much. We'd do ell to get £3 million IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭djan

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Even i could look good with a compliation of clips in fairness though ha.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves :D

I'm wondering with all these squad players out on loan (Denilson, Bendtner, Vela and now Arshavin), is it just to save money on wages or do the loaning clubs pay us some cash for the loan?

edit: I know in Denilson's case there is an option to make the deal permanent for £6 million, but I cant see them forking over that much. We'd do ell to get £3 million IMO.

I can't remember where I read it but I think we are paying all of Bendtners wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Denison has done quite well in Brazil, they might think its worth it and pay the money to keep him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Fcuking love Sagna

Sagna: "Hazard needs to reflect and make the choice of club for the style of football. If he goes to Spurs, he will be an enemy for me."

Is he implying Spurs dont play stylish football? he does not know the game if he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Is he implying Spurs dont play stylish football? he does not know the game if he is.

I'd imagine the incumbent French right full back and PFA team of the year right full back last year knows the game pretty well in fact.

But you can untangle your knickers because I'm confident he's just referring to the fact Spurs are rivals to our club.

Y'know, the whole North London Derby thing. ;)

Arshavin back to Zenit makes no sense whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Fücking yids!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

cson wrote: »
    I'd imagine the incumbent French right full back and PFA team of the year right full back last year knows the game pretty well in fact.

But you can untangle your knickers because I'm confident he's just referring to the fact Spurs are rivals to our club.

Y'know, the whole North London Derby thing. ;)

Arshavin back to Zenit makes no sense whatsoever.

Fair enough, i know its all part of the rivalry. I believe both teams play the game the right way ;)

• Advertisement

KingdomYid wrote: »

I'd say he's only messing.The French surrender far to quickly to have any enemies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,620 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

gosplan wrote: »

I think your own comments are a bit over the top. I thanked his post not for insulting anyone but for making the point that football did not start with Wenger. I remember Arsenal playing great football under Bertie Mee. Wenger HAD us playing great football too and winning things. Football has changed a lot too over the years and the quality of the pitches has had a lot to do with it too. I remember watching games years ago where you couldn't see a blade of grass on the field, only muck. Sunderland's pitch last week came in for a lot of criticism but would have been rated as brilliant years ago such was the poor conditions of many grounds.
    I agree that we should not insult other posters and only comment on posts but I don't see that post as too insulting to be honest. A lot of the posts of late are down to frustration and anger with our displays and we should all take account of that.

On the Joel Cambell video i remember seeing something about Carlos Vela before he came and i'll leave it at that :/

Nelson Mandela is in hospital.Just stuck a oner on Ramsey to score tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

On the Joel Cambell video i remember seeing something about Carlos Vela before he came and i'll leave it at that :/

Here's another:

Nelson Mandela is in hospital.Just stuck a oner on Ramsey to score tomorrow.

Is it serious ? cos if it is you know you should have put 20 on it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

On a positive note Miyiachi looked the best player on the park for Bolton today.

I think your own comments are a bit over the top. I thanked his post not for insulting anyone but for making the point that football did not start with Wenger. I remember Arsenal playing great football under Bertie Mee. Wenger HAD us playing great football too and winning things. Football has changed a lot too over the years and the quality of the pitches has had a lot to do with it too. I remember watching games years ago where you couldn't see a blade of grass on the field, only muck. Sunderland's pitch last week came in for a lot of criticism but would have been rated as brilliant years ago such was the poor conditions of many grounds.
    I agree that we should not insult other posters and only comment on posts but I don't see that post as too insulting to be honest. A lot of the posts of late are down to frustration and anger with our displays and we should all take account of that.

I logged on just to thank this post, hit the nail on the head. It frustration boiling over. Some of the posts in here the last week or so have been ridicilous im not posting here anymore because im accused of being a Wengerite or whatever and likewise on the other side coming out with petty comments im fairly sure were all adults here no need to go on like kids.

Were all Arsenal fans at the end of the day, and this is a forum for expressing your views on Arsenal we mightnt always agree but we can at least respect each other views. Yes it does get repetitive as some have mentioned but it repetitive from both sides of the coin but we all want the same thing a successful Arsenal F.C, and again as tayto lover said its frustration and anger with the team and no one knows were to point it so were pointing it at each other. Deep breaths it wil be alright.

Come on Arsenal tomorrow we need a good result, and I fear to think the outpoor tomorrow if we do loose, plus I dont want to see kingdomyid given the opportunity to come in here gloating :mad:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

meriwether wrote: »
    I don't see what your point is.

Some players are overpaid. If Arsene Wenger could predict the future, he obviously wouldn't have paid them that sum (in fact he wouldn't have signed many of them).

But he doesn't predict the future. So now he has to replace these players. This happens in football quite a bit. Players get sold, and in turn bought.

And I suppose the new players he brings in will work for nothing, will they?

BTW, remove Ramsey from that list. Nowt wrong with Aaron.

Harsh on Jenkinson too. Put in a few solid shifts before his injury. Great prospect imo and great crosser of the ball

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement