Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Truly great keepers who aren't prone to bouts of lunacy are very very rare, good luck finding one.

True. A good keeper needs a touch of lunacy. Well not so much lunacy as fearlessness, but you do need to be a bit of a lunatic to be fearless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

jank wrote: »
    Poldoski seems to be a 90% cert at this stage. Would be very happy with that. Lets hope he brings is form from FC Kolm and not Bayern Munich.

I think LB is still and issue for us. Neither Santos or Gibbs are good enough defensively.

It'll be great if Podolski isn't our only bit of business this summer. The cynic inside me says they're getting the RVP replacement in early. If it continues to be groundhog day with us and we sell RVP then buy someone who had a half decent season in Ligue 1 to replace him I think I'll cry.

The club needs to do a lot of business in the summer; firstly getting rid of the ****e like Squillaci, Almunia et al and bringing in 2/3 quality first team players and 2 quality squad players. Bring back a couple of the loanees and use them in the squad too - I'm thinking Bartley, Miyachi and Lansbury in particular.

If you look at our CB options; its the kind of depth you'd like everywhere in the squad. Koscielny, Vermaelen and Mertesacker are all quality, Djourou if he rediscovered the form he was in prior to CC Final 2011 is also a quality back up. Behind that you've Iggy Miquel and Kyle Bartley coming through.

I also think LB is an issue for us. I don't think Kieran Gibbs can be anymore than a back up for us given his fitness.
    Truly great keepers who aren't prone to bouts of lunacy are very very rare, good luck finding one.

Ah Mad Jens <3:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

greendom wrote: »
    I don't think we should be writing of Gibbs just yet. He's only just back. I think he's shown enough promise to prove that he could be very capable in that position.
    Not many are questioning his ability on the pitch, more so his ability (or lack thereof) to stay fit for any lenght of time. If he ever wants to be first choice he needs to get over his injuries problems before it's too late for him. When fit, he's usually quite good. The problem is he spends more time injured than fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Lads, what do ye make of this Junior Hoilett at Blackburn?

Arsenal linked to him, winger apparently, with 3 goals and six assists this season. Nothing superb in those stats, but then again, he is playing with Blackburn.

Whats his general play like? I've only seen him once or twice on MOTD, so don't know how good he is. At all.

I feel sorry for B'burn losing him for free this summer, they had him since he was 13.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

meriwether wrote: »
    Lads, what do ye make of this Junior Hoilett at Blackburn?

Arsenal linked to him, winger apparently, with 3 goals and six assists this season. Nothing superb in those stats, but then again, he is playing with Blackburn.

Whats his general play like? I've only seen him once or twice on MOTD, so don't know how good he is. At all.

I feel sorry for B'burn losing him for free this summer, they had him since he was 13.
    Hard to see where he'd fit in; Ox will feature more next season and I think Ryo is nailed on for a squad place too.

Can he play LB?

Hard to see where he'd fit in; Ox will feature more next season and I think Ryo is nailed on for a squad place too.

Can he play LB?

He better learn, and fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ah come on there are more than a few really good keepers who are not loonies.
    Seaman wasn't half bad and would you consider him a lunatic.
    What about Pat Jennings, Zoff, Kahn (ok leave out his penchant for teenage girls),Schmeichel, van der Sar, Buffon (ok leaving out his one time personal love of Mussolini), Casillas, Neuer, etc.
    Oh Given and Packie ;)

Of course there have been a few great or at least fairly good ones that were nutjobs...
    Higuita, Lehman, Schumacker, Grobbelaar, Ravelli.

Feckin hell you know there is a lot on the entertainment side to be said for a loony goalie. :D

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

You do realise you've named some of the top goalkeepers from the past few decades there? It's extremely difficult to get a goalkeeper at their level, I think Szczesny is doing very well. 99.99% of goalkeepers will make big mistakes from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

UEFA just charged Wenger for comments after last nights game .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Arsène Wenger charged with improper conduct by UEFA. Think it's because he 'allegedly' suggested the referee favored Milan.

mixednuts wrote: »
    UEFA just charged Wenger for comments after last nights game .

Lets do a Liverpool on it and boycott UEFA.

Or football in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Arsène Wenger charged with improper conduct by UEFA. Think it's because he 'allegedly' suggested the referee favored Milan.

I thought it's because he suggested that the ref was incomptent, and Milan exploited that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

meriwether wrote: »
    Lets do a Liverpool on it and boycott UEFA.

Or football in general.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I thought it's because he suggested that the ref was incomptent, and Milan exploited that.

The ref was shocking last night. You could not predict how he was going to rule any of the decisions in the game. Both teams had to endure that in fairness

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,405 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just saw this on FB365, Scezny riffing on spurs :D That lads a legend in my eyes already.
    The Arsenal goalkeeper said: "I would not settle right now for fourth place. We are four points behind the other north London club - I am not going to say their name - and hopefully we can challenge them.

"Hopefully Chelsea can challenge them for fourth place and I would be really pleased to see them in the Europa League next season.

"That would be fantastic. Hopefully they will be looking at this result and are looking over their shoulders.

Full story here: http://www.football365.com/news/21554/7577538/Szczesny-Wants-Spurs-In-Europa-League...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Wenger has balls you have to admit it, but its a bit silly of him to come out and say it again knowing full well what happened last time. I guess he is willing to take a ban to highlight UEFA's incompetency.

The ref was poor and it was a poor UEFA decision to appoint the Slovenians to this game. If the game is between teams from two top leagues then the refs should also be from a top league.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    He was improving immensely in the month leading up to his injury I thought.

Agreed. He has an air of confidence in his ability too that I quite like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Re: the ref. the only thing I think he really missed out on was not booking two Milan players for kicking the ball away to waste time. However, he did make up for it by booking two of them for complaining about the corner they weren't given (even though it was CLEARLY a corner)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

I'm not so sure Gibbs deserves all this praise he's getting in here...I thought he was very poor against Liverpool, he was turned and beaten about 20 times in that match.

Did no one notice the strange amount of square balls coming from his side? Could have cost us the game on a number of occasions. He was poor enough I though.

I haven't seen him put in a good shift. We've got Santos, I really don't see a long term future for him at Arsenal. I think we should do the exact same as we did on the right hand side with Jenkinson. Got rid of Éboue (I know that's not exactly a favourable opinion in here, but what the hell) who had high wages, and replaced him with a young understudy of Sagna who has bags of potential.

So Gibbs out (he's already 22) and replace him with a nice 18/19 year old who can actually provide back-up, unlike Gibbs who is usually nowhere to be found when you need him.

Same with Diaby, good player, but there's no place for sentiments in football (unless it's RVP of course ;)). Injuries have been too big a problem and we can't afford to throw 60k a week down the drain.

As I've said, this is probably an unfavourable opinion; But I believe we're doing ourselves no favours with this craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Galvasean wrote: »
    Re: the ref. the only thing I think he really missed out on was not booking two Milan players for kicking the ball away to waste time. However, he did make up for it by booking two of them for complaining about the corner they weren't given (even though it was CLEARLY a corner)

Pretty sure one of those two yellows was for a foul beforehand.
    He was awful, if you watch the match back he was giving Milan advantage for a few seconds before calling it advantage so he could then bring it back. He was all over the shop, the yellows being thrown round at the start then nothing for ages was just ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    When fit, he's usually quite good. The problem is he spends more time injured than fit.
    In fairness, that's a tag that would fit plenty of Arsenal players. Which should be a real concern to the fans

So Gibbs out (he's already 22) and replace him with a nice 18/19 year old who can actually provide back-up, unlike Gibbs who is usually nowhere to be found when you.

He's only 22! Give him a chance to have a stint without injury and see how he gets on then. I think with a bit more experience he'll be effective for us. I thought he was poor against Liverpool too but last night for the majority of time he was solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

HazDanz wrote: »
    He's only 22! Give him a chance to have a stint without injury and see how he gets on then. I think with a bit more experience he'll be effective for us. I thought he was poor against Liverpool too but last night for the majority of time he was solid.

He's had 5 season where he was given up to 8 appearances in each to prove himself and all he's proved is that he can't go 3 games without getting injured.

Unless he proves himself this season, I'd like to see him added to this supposed summer clearout.

He's had his chances to establish himself but injury stood in the way more often than not. We'll be paying him a lot more than a youngster. Yes he's only 22, but 22 is 'established' by Arsenal terms. Theo Walcott is 22 ffs...do you hear anyone else say 'Give Theo a chance, he's only 22 yet'? No. They say 'Theo's 22 already, he's not going to improve much more and hasn't seemed to reach his potential'.

He's had 5 season where he was given up to 8 appearances in each to prove himself and all he's proved is that he can't go 3 games without getting injured.

Unless he proves himself this season, I'd like to see him added to this supposed summer clearout.

He's had his chances to establish himself but injury stood in the way more often than not. We'll be paying him a lot more than a youngster. Yes he's only 22, but 22 is 'established' by Arsenal terms. Theo Walcott is 22 ffs...do you hear anyone else say 'Give Theo a chance, he's only 22 yet'? No. They say 'Theo's 22 already, he's not going to improve much more and hasn't seemed to reach his potential'.

In fairness Walcott has an awful lot more appearances under his belt with fairly good amount of time to prove himself and he's shown to be a speedster but a headless chicken the majority of the time. But I do think Walcott could still improve because he is only young and time is on his side.

Gibbs has been wrecked with injuries and he has had appearances but I don't think he has ever had proper time in the first team and been allowed to cement his place over a period. The run in for the end of the season will be telling I agree but I'd still give him the benefit of the doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Just looking at our website, we've 10 players unavailable through injury :eek::eek: we really are well and truly cursed with injuries :mad:

I think they should look into the conditioning of our players as its a huge worry and has been the past 3 or 4 seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I'd keep diaby don't no why but I would

Walcott is a headless chicken, but at times, a devestatingly effective headless chicken.

He mixes the wojus with the sublime.

If he any worse than Valencia on the wing for United? He gives a consistent level of performance that is alwayts better than Theo's worst, but hardly ever as good as Theo's best.

When I think of Walcott I think of that old saying "A stopped clock is right twice a day".

I for some reason agree with emergingstar on Diaby, hopefully he will be due a van Persie-esque turnaround in terms of fitness, we've never seen the best of him thanks to Dan Smith. (I particularly agree with the "I'd keep him but I don't know why" part!)

My hope on Walcott would be that he will be sold in the summer to City or Chelsea or Liverpool, and we'll get the customary english player tax to over inflate his transfer fee. He's not worth the 85k a week he's looking for and we'd be much better off going with Oxlade-Chamberlain on the right. The penalty Chamberlain won last night would never have been won by Walcott, Chamberlain was willing to run straight at the heart of the Milan defence, Walcott would have tried to go around, and would have ended up out near the endline where he would have tried to win a corner or delivered a token cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Just saw this on FB365, Scezny riffing on spurs :D That lads a legend in my eyes already.

Full story here: http://www.football365.com/news/21554/7577538/Szczesny-Wants-Spurs-In-Europa-League...

In fairness he should grow up a little. You never hear Spurs players talking like this, it is very unprofessinal from a player IMO.

KingdomYid wrote: »
    In fairness he should grow up a little. You never hear Spurs players talking like this, it is very unprofessinal from a player IMO.

Don't see anything he said that's unprofessional to be honest...

• Advertisement

lol :D

jordainius wrote: »
    Don't see anything he said that's unprofessional to be honest...

The part about the other North London team and wont mention their name, and he then actually does mention them later in the interview haha. Then saying he hopes Chelsea come 4th, just is not the kind of thing Players should be saying. Anyway its what i expect from kids, and Frimpong and Wilshere are at the same stuff on twitter is very very immature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭batistuta9

The part about the other North London team and wont mention their name, and he then actually does mention them later in the interview haha. Then saying he hopes Chelsea come 4th, just is not the kind of thing Players should be saying. Anyway its what i expect from kids, and Frimpong and Wilshere are at the same stuff on twitter is very very immature.

you lot have & always will be in the shadow of arsenal

5-2 , 13-2 now gtfo

batistuta9 wrote: »
    you lot have & always will be in the shadow of arsenal

5-2 , 13-2 now gtfo

Very mature response. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Nah, fair play to him. He's a hero already and knows exactly how to relate to the fans, sounds like one himself!

To find a player that fans can identify with these days is pretty tough. I am delighted we have at least three (Woj, Frimpong and Wilshere). More of that please!

Also quite telling that they've all been at the club a long time, so this rivalry is being properly peddled into the kids.

Fyi:
    Frimpong is 20, been at Arsenal 11 years
    Wilshere is 20, been at Arsenal 11 years
    Szczęsny is 21, been at the club 6 years

Don't forget Sagna referring to Sp*rs as "The Enemy" too!

Stop the press! A football player wishes the best for his own club and the worst on his clubs most bitter rivals!

Seriously, it's harmless stuff. Banter, nothing nasty in it.

Maybe I'm mad... But I can really see us keep RVP this summer.

This picture:
    VanPersie.jpg
    Sums up why.

It's one of his boyhood clubs. He might not get the same service in another team. He earns a lot of money already. His kid plays for the under 9's (or something). He works well in our formation. And the way we're playing now, you would have to put money on us winning something in the very near future. He's also the captain of the team and is very proud about it.

Maybe I'm mad... But I can really see us keep RVP this summer.

This picture:
    vanPersieJunior
    Sums up why.

It's one of his boyhood clubs. He might not get the same service in another team. He earns a lot of money already. His kid plays for the under 9's (or something). He works wll in our formation. And the way we're playing now, you would have to put money on us winning something in the very near future.

The Podolski rumours make me nervous as it appears to me he's being lined up as a replacement unless there's a formation change. But van Persie is really ours to lose, unlike other big players we've lost, there are no persistant rumours linking van Persie to particular clubs.

I fully agree with what you said, I'm quite optimistic he'll want to stay. It's up to our board and Wenger to offer him what he deserves, give the man a blank cheque, he's worth crazy wages. Giving one player insane money won't hurt the club financially.

• Advertisement

Because diving to win penalties and deliberately handling the ball to score a goal is SO professional right?
    The part about the other North London team and wont mention their name, and he then actually does mention them later in the interview haha.

Thats_the_joke.jpg

After last nights performance from the ox do we need pay serious money for gzote or hazard, do we have the man to play in that position in the ox
    If he gets more time in the centre of midfield before the end of the season and impresses I could be convinced to use him and Ramsey there next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

After last nights performance from the ox do we need pay serious money for gzote or hazard, do we have the man to play in that position in the ox
    If he gets more time in the centre of midfield before the end of the season and impresses I could be convinced to use him and Ramsey there next season

I was thinking the exact same thing myself but then we would still need to bring in a top class winger, thought Hazard can play on the wing? Although with his constant trying to whore himself around have been turned of him could see him being a Nasri not the type of player I want at the club. Or who could we get for the wing?

I think give Santos a run on the left wing as he has impressed me much more in attack than in defense from what I have seen of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Just looking at our website, we've 10 players unavailable through injury :eek::eek: we really are well and truly cursed with injuries :mad:

I think they should look into the conditioning of our players as its a huge worry and has been the past 3 or 4 seasons.

Have been saying the same myself.
    Just look at the players who leave Arsenal and they don't seem to pick up injuries at the rate they do at Arsenal. Fabregas is injury free since leaving and we have 5 or 6 midfielders out at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Or maybe that why were meant to be signing Podolski as Wengers seeing him playing on the left more so than up front, just a theory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tsoparno

Hopefully good times ahead, Wilshere, the Ox, Ryo, Ramsey and maybe Frimmy could be the heart of the team for years.
    I know Ramsey's been off the boil lately, not sure if he's been played too far forward, but with Wales against England i thought he dominated the midfield from a deeper role.
    Regards the kids being unprofessional on twitter, well they're kids and I'm sure banter is allowed these days!

Or maybe that why were meant to be signing Podolski as Wengers seeing him playing on the left more so than up front, just a theory.

I agree Podolski for the wings but also a proper replacement for when we give RVP a rest

Also bild are reporting that the Podolski deal is done for 13m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Also bild are reporting that the Podolski deal is done for 13m

Can't see his price being anywhere near that tbh. I read somewhere that we might get him for as little as 5 million.

If we get him for less than 10 I'd be very happy :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement