Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

meriwether wrote: »
    There's something dodgy with our defence.

I can't put my finger on what it is though.
    Injuries have obviously been a factor but I don't think the root cause with Arsenal's defence lies with the players. Basic organisation is often lacking. That's a worry because it's something that a good coach can address, indicating that the problem may lie with the backroom staff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Reekwind wrote: »
    Injuries have obviously been a factor but I don't think the root cause with Arsenal's defence lies with the players. Basic organisation is often lacking. That's a worry because it's something that a good coach can address, indicating that the problem may lie with the backroom staff

I'm not entirely sure that is accurate either. I think the biggest problem we have had this season, especially at the start, was linked to injuries but that wasn't the root cause. I think the primary problem was that there was no consistency with regards to the team and especially the centre back/defensive positions.

Take the start of the season (after Mertesacker joined).Mertesacker joined on the 31st of August and hiss first match for Arsenal was the 10th of September, so basically he had a week to learn how his centre back partner worked so they could play well together. Looking at this match (Swansea) and the following 10 matches, our defensive line ups were:

Gibbs - Koscielny - Mertesacker - Sagna

Santos - Koscielny - Mertesacker - Sagna

Gibbs - Song - Mertesacker - Sagna

Gibbs - Koscielny - Mertesacker - Jenkinson

Santos - Koscielny - Mertesacker - Djourou

Santos - Koscielny - Vermalen - Jenkinson

Santos - Mertesacker - Vermalen - Koscielny

Santos - Djourou - Mertesacker - Vermalen

So in 10 matches, we had 8 different defensive line ups. Out of these 10 matches we won seven, lost two and drew one, but to be honest looking at this I'm surprised we didn't lose every match where we had a different line up. At this stage of the season, Mertesacker and those around him are more used to playing together and should know each others strengths and weaknesses better but the same amount of change is still happening between every match.

I would imagine that if we were able to have one consistent defensive line up for a few matches, our defence would look a lot more solid and together but due to injuries that has not been possible this year. However, with the rate everyone gets to play with each other now, I would think that come next season, provided no more changes are made, our defence will look a lot stronger and unified and hopefully we can push on and make a serious push for the league.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Walcott assisted both goals on Monday and really Robin should have made it a hat trick of assists.

People dont evaluate him fairly in my opinion because he isnt easy on the eye. Well, neither are Rory Delap's throw ins.

Walcott this season, age 22: 38 apps, 8 goals, 13 assists
    Nasri last season, age 23: 46 apps, 15 goals, 5 assists.

Contrast the way the two are/were regarded. 'Ah, but Nasri influenced the game more and gave intangibles' - no, hed pirouette on the ball and pass it sideways a lot, Walcott passes it sideways a lot. Nasri would dance past a player and score or assist, Walcott just runs past and does the same. The end result, not a whole lot different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭djan

Walcott assisted both goals on Monday and really Robin should have made it a hat trick of assists.

People dont evaluate him fairly in my opinion because he isnt easy on the eye. Well, neither are Rory Delap's throw ins.

Walcott this season, age 22: 38 apps, 8 goals, 13 assists
    Nasri last season, age 23: 46 apps, 15 goals, 5 assists.

Contrast the way the two are/were regarded. 'Ah, but Nasri influenced the game more and gave intangibles' - no, hed pirouette on the ball and pass it sideways a lot, Walcott passes it sideways a lot. Nasri would dance past a player and score or assist, Walcott just runs past and does the same. The end result, not a whole lot different.

I think the problem lies with the fact that people dont realise that Theo because of his speed gets into positions that no other player can and as he isn't as talented as Nasri they just remember when he messes up.

I for one think that he is vital to the squad even if by future buys he is relegated to a super sub type, as trust me when its the 60/70minute a defender does not want to see the leagues fastest player coming on :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I agree that Walcott gets an overly hard time and this year he's been our second most effective player but he's a speedy winger and they can appear frustrating when things don't work.

Nasri used to either do something special or pass the ball sideways to someone whereas Walcott coughs up possession a lot more.

When he does this in the wrong place - such as in the Liverpool match when he did it a few times on the halfway line - it's really risky for the team as everyone's running the wrong way and suddenly they have to defend.

• Advertisement

Both correct. Nasri of last season was better than Theo this season. However Nasri was being talked of as one of the best players in the league, whereas many would have you believe Theo is one of the worst. That clearly isnt the case.

Also, its not like this season is some sort of purple patch for Theo in terms of productivity. If he does manage to step up a little bit, as many around his age do, then his numbers will become extremely impressive. 1 goal or assist roughly every 2 games is a good base for a 22 year old wide player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I don't think many are questioning his contribution that much, more so the fact that he wastes four or five good chances before he produces something. He'll often run down a dead end street when if he stopped and had a look around he'd probably see a better option. If he can waste less opportunities (and lower his demands) I don't think he'd be getting anywhere near as many complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I don't think many are questioning his contribution that much, more so the fact that he wastes four or five good chances before he produces something. He'll often run down a dead end street when if he stopped and had a look around he'd probably see a better option. If he can waste less opportunities (and lower his demands) I don't think he'd be getting anywhere near as many complaints.

Same could've been said about Van Persie before the start of last tbh. Found him really, really frustrating, would miss 3 or 4 good chances before slotting one away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

amacachi wrote: »
    Same could've been said about Van Persie before the start of last tbh. Found him really, really frustrating, would miss 3 or 4 good chances before slotting one away.

Really? Ive found Van Persie to be an exceptional player for years now it was always just injurys holding him, in fact I had many a debate with fans of other teams questioning him as a average player. For me Van Persie has been world class years just never got the chance to make everyone stand up and pay attention due to his atrocious penchant for sick notes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Anyone know how Gourcuff is getting on, we're linked to him every summer, think he could be the creativity we need in the centre?

• Advertisement

Really? Ive found Van Persie to be an exceptional player for years now it was always just injurys holding him, in fact I had many a debate with fans of other teams questioning him as a average player. For me Van Persie has been world class years just never got the chance to make everyone stand up and pay attention due to his atrocious penchant for sick notes.

Most of this season his conversion rate has looked like 1 in 2, in previous seasons he needed as many chances as other players to get a goal. He's been exceptional recently but 18 months ago I wouldn't have been annoyed to sell him. Glad we didn't though. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Jonas Gutierrez is a dope. "He (vanPersie :rolleyes:) made a big mistake. I say well done to Tim for staying calm. In a second, you can lose your mind, but we have to stay focused."

According to Gutierrez, staying calm is leaving your goal area to pursue and gesticulate/argue with a player who was on his way back to his own half with his teammates after making a point about his timewasting (which even Pardew admitted Krul did), staying calm is creating a mass congregation of handbags, and continuing to be a nutter once the final whistle is blown, causing a commotion all the way into the tunnel!!!! Yes, well done indeed Tim for staying calm.

Reminds me of when Henry offered Kirkland the ball after a late winner after Kirkland spent the game blantantly taking the piss with his kick outs for Wigan. Kirkland just told him to f**k off and that was the end of it. Krul made an ass of himself.

jordainius wrote: »
    Reminds me of when Henry offered Kirkland the ball after a late winner after Kirkland spent the game blantantly taking the piss with his kick outs for Wigan. Kirkland just told him to f**k off and that was the end of it. Krul made an ass of himself.

Didn't Henry get booked/a talking to for that?

Most of this season his conversion rate has looked like 1 in 2, in previous seasons he needed as many chances as other players to get a goal. He's been exceptional recently but 18 months ago I wouldn't have been annoyed to sell him. Glad we didn't though. :pac:

I always felt the general opinion on him was that he was a top class player who would never be able to do it on a consistent level due to his injury record. He was always prone to the odd flash of brilliance. I'm hoping we might reap the benefits of something similar happening with Diaby, that once he finds permanent fitness his form will skyrocket. (Can't see it happening with him though :()

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Krul acted like an idiot...as frustrating as it is to watch/play against when someone's timewasting late on, it's smart. No one really blames anyone for doing it.

I noted Krul taking an exceptionally long time taking his goal kicks as early as the 30min mark...that's ludicrous.

Frankly, RVP had every right to point out what a nob he was being :)

Didn't Henry get booked/a talking to for that?

I think he got a yellow alright. On an unrelated topic, I hate John Terry!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

gosplan wrote: »
    I agree that Walcott gets an overly hard time and this year he's been our second most effective player but he's a speedy winger and they can appear frustrating when things don't work.

Nasri used to either do something special or pass the ball sideways to someone whereas Walcott coughs up possession a lot more.

When he does this in the wrong place - such as in the Liverpool match when he did it a few times on the halfway line - it's really risky for the team as everyone's running the wrong way and suddenly they have to defend.

This is the real frustrating thing. I could live with him missing a chance here and there as we are well capable of creating several chances in a game, but when he loses possession, due to a bad touch, its hard to take because it interrupts our flow and we end up having to start again.

Even going back to '08, when we had Hleb on the right and Rosicky on the left, while they scored very little from midfield, both rarely lost the ball. As a result our attacks could be sustained for longer periods and eventually something had to give and we'd get a goal (usually from Adebayor!).

Point being, while Theo gets slated for his end product alot, I think its his first touch and general lack of ball control that is the biggest problem.

Saying that, when he's on his game he can be very effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Our reserves had a good win tonight a nice few first teamers dropped down to play
    But again it was serge gnarby that stole the show ya can't help but get excited by this 16yr old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Our reserves had a good win tonight a nice few first teamers dropped down to play
    But again it was serge gnarby that stole the show ya can't help but get excited by this 16yr old

Yeh ive been hearing a lot about him lately, read him and Aneke were our two stand out performers. Havent seen anything of Serge Gnarby myself watched one or two youtube videos does look comfotable on the ball with plenty of pace and technique but youtube videos arent the most reliable.

Nice review and rating of the players here

http://arsenalyouth.wordpress.com/2012/03/14/aneke-and-gnabry-superb-as-strong-reserves-side-dispatch-of-west-bromwich/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Probably good in the long run that Chelsea are through to the next round, keeps them busy mid week for a little bit more. Increases our chances of getting at least 4th.

• Advertisement

jank wrote: »
    Probably good in the long run that Chelsea are through to the next round, keeps them busy mid week for a little bit more. Increases our chances of getting at least 4th.
    Depends on the draw they get really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

jank wrote: »

The worry though would be that if Arsenal finish 4th but then Chelsea go on to win the champions league then it will all have been for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

farna_boy wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure that is accurate either. I think the biggest problem we have had this season, especially at the start, was linked to injuries but that wasn't the root cause. I think the primary problem was that there was no consistency with regards to the team and especially the centre back/defensive positions.

Santos - Koscielny - Mertesacker - Sagna

Gibbs - Song - Mertesacker - Sagna

Gibbs - Koscielny - Mertesacker - Jenkinson

Looking at that list I see some players who are inexperienced (Jenkinson), not good enough and are continous injury worries (Gibbs), not good enough for that position (Djourou), like to go forward too much (Santos) and a midfielder who is not cut out to be a centre half (Song).

Basically they are not good enough to step into the first team if the club wants to mount a serious challenge for honours.

The worry though would be that if Arsenal finish 4th but then Chelsea go on to win the champions league then it will all have been for nothing.

Don't worry your little head about that. ;)
    I can't see Chelsea winning much as long as Luiz is at the centre of defense.

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »
    Basically they are not good enough to step into the first team if the club wants to mount a serious challenge for honours.

Well Song is good enough to be a centre half, it's just that he would rather be an AMC at times and leaves the defence open to attacks from the oppositions midfielders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Haven't seen him play but the reports make him sound great. Only 16 and bossing the middle of the park against full grown men!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Could end up with Arsenal in 3rd, Spurs in 4th and Chelsea winning the Champions League. Now that would be hilarious.

Could end up with Arsenal in 3rd, Spurs in 4th and Chelsea winning the Champions League. Now that would be hilarious.
    I did think about that last night. Oh how I would laugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Shamelessly pinched from the Chelsea thread; let's get Arsenal on the box

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2012/03/15/Premier-League-on-Setanta-Viewers-Choice/gnid-134750/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

greendom wrote: »
    Shamelessly pinched from the Chelsea thread; let's get Arsenal on the box

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2012/03/15/Premier-League-on-Setanta-Viewers-Choice/gnid-134750/

just voted there, qpr v arsenal with around a 6% lead

wonder how many times you can vote :D

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »
    just voted there, qpr v arsenal with around a 6% lead

wonder how many times you can vote :D

Are you responsible for turning a 6% lead into a 24% lead by incessant repeat voting??? If so, I thank you very much!

jordainius wrote: »
    Are you responsible for turning a 6% lead into a 24% lead by incessant repeat voting??? If so, I thank you very much!

no i just put it out there, the people can take the credit for that :pac:

i actually forgot to vote earlier and just voted there now and qpr v arsenal are leading by 25.56%

Close to 28% now! Reminds me a little of that Liverpool voting on POTY a few months ago. van Persie way out in front then Liverpool decided to spam the **** out of it with votes for Suarez to support him in the racism thing. Hopefully it doesnt get that bad :pac:

Close to 28% now! Reminds me a little of that Liverpool voting on POTY a few months ago. van Persie way out in front then Liverpool decided to spam the **** out of it with votes for Suarez to support him in the racism thing. Hopefully it doesnt get that bad :pac:

player of the year?

what about henry motm vs leeds :pac::pac::pac:

28.99% now

Just reading there that djourou wasn't giving a new contract, but actually activated a Clause in his last one
    Interesting

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »
    player of the year?

what about henry motm vs leeds :pac::pac::pac:

Player of the year, or half season or something. Liverpool fans spammed the hell out of it get Suarez to win. United fans tried to respond but left it too late. Glad were above that sort of thing :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

43% now.

Park's military service has been delayed 10 years

At least we can sell him now, he was essentially worth nothing as no club in their right mind would have paid us for a player who pretty much had to retire next year. Crazy panic buy by Wenger!

since there's nothing else happening on here....

they've started to retaliate in the chelsea thread, all these post's are from it
    gavredking wrote: »
    QPR v Arsenal running away with it at the moment, 53 % of the votes. :(
    thebison wrote: »
    Seen that.

Get voting!!

This will save me watching the game on a ****ty stream :p
    gavredking wrote: »
    I did. :D

But we only have 22/23 % so no chance this will be on Setanta.

these are the results now

villa v chelsea 40.62
    qpr v arsenal 46.61

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

What are peoples thoughts about all this talk of Podolski to Lazio, that has crept up in the last day or two?
    To be honest, I'm a little indifferent about it. :o Would be great to see him join us, but I would rather us spend the money on a proper plan B striker. Kinda like everything Chamakh should have been. That Giroud chap looks class, but to be fair youtube could make me look like a superstar.

http://football-talk.co.uk/60888/lukas-podolski-hints-at-lazio-move/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭djan

Dercola wrote: »
    What are peoples thoughts about all this talk of Podolski to Lazio, that has crept up in the last day or two?
    To be honest, I'm a little indifferent about it. :o Would be great to see him join us, but I would rather us spend the money on a proper plan B striker. Kinda like everything Chamakh should have been. That Giroud chap looks class, but to be fair youtube could make me look like a superstar.

http://football-talk.co.uk/60888/lukas-podolski-hints-at-lazio-move/

I'd be very disappointed to see Podolski going to Lazio, he is a proven talent at the highest level and suits our playing style. Giroud on the other hand is like Chamakh. Chamakh was a beast in Ligue 1 scoring headers and bossing other defenders about and look what happened. Add to that the fact that many big clubs are after Giroud so as much as I would want both I think that Giroud's price will get very high and then out of our reach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Hope poor Muamba pulls through.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hope poor Muamba pulls through.

Was at a wedding yesterday and i heard whispers he had collapsed, I thought he was dead, glad to here they revived him but he's still critical apparently. Hope he makes it, always liked him as a player :(

I think we need to start losing again. This is only the sixth post in the last two days, two of which were about poor Muamba (personally, I'm hoping Bolton can go on and win the cup for him). Not used to it being this quite around here :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Jan Vertonghen apparently very hopeful of a move to Arsenal in the summer. I highly rate him as a player, but I don't think we need another starting-quality centreback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I think we need to start losing again. This is only the sixth post in the last two days, two of which were about poor Muamba (personally, I'm hoping Bolton can go on and win the cup for him). Not used to it being this quite around here :o

Ha, whisht you.
    No news is good.

Bit worried chelsea are gathering a bit of steam now.
    Also worried they have an easy cl qf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

The CL could keep Chelsea distracted from the league in a few league games. Hopefully Man City beat them in mid week and we can at least get a point at Everton.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Midweek could be massive for us. I'd be fairly confident City will beat Chelsea, they'll be hurt after that Swansea game. A win against Everton then and we're 6 points clear. Huge lead at this time of the year.

Alot of papers saying the Podolski deal to be announced tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Chelsea staying in the CL was great news for us, gives them two extra games to have to worry about as well as the FA Cup. And now most of their old players are going to play nearly every game now that they have control of the dressing room back those extra couple of games will hopefully be enough to put too much strain on them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement