Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Frisbee wrote: »
    Chelsea staying in the CL was great news for us, gives them two extra games to have to worry about as well as the FA Cup. And now most of their old players are going to play nearly every game now that they have control of the dressing room back those extra couple of games will hopefully be enough to put too much strain on them.

Yeah agree, as long as they dont win the fcuking thing :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Alot of papers saying the Podolski deal to be announced tomorrow

Any links? I can only find bad news!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I want them to finish fifth and win the Champions League, provided we finish third. That means spurs finish fourth but only get Europa League :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Podolski is a bit of a risk
    if he isn't scoring he offers nothing
    he also couldnt settle at Bayern either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I want them to finish fifth and win the Champions League, provided we finish third. That means spurs finish fourth but only get Europa League :D
    Yeah, what a laugh that would be with Chelsea winning the European cup. NOT.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Yeah, what a laugh that would be with Chelsea winning the European cup. NOT.

We're not in it. spurs aren't in it. United aren't in it. Bar Barca, I don't really care who wins it. It's of no interest to me but if it can deny spurs a Champions League place next season, I'm happy enough to see Chelsea win it, but again, only if spurs finish fourth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

I want Arsenal to be the first London club to win the European Cup. It would cement our place as the top London club. It erodes if those Oil money inbreds get there first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I want Arsenal to be the first London club to win the European Cup. It would cement our place as the top London club. It erodes if those Oil money inbreds get there first.

Couldn't care less if Chelsea won the CL. They'll never be London's top club, they were only formed in 2003 after all. As for the other shower, they've qualified for the CL only ONCE in their history. They've won one trophy in 20 years. They haven't won the league in colour. Don't believe what you read in the papers, there's no power shift comin. Once Taxman pisses off to the England job they'll slip back down to mid table where they belong. We're Arsenal. Top dogs in London and forever will be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

I grew up in London, it matters to me. Seeing their knuckle dragging support celebrating something like that would be a sickener.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

MD1990 wrote: »
    Podolski is a bit of a risk
    if he isn't scoring he offers nothing
    he also couldnt settle at Bayern either
    Every signing is a risk.

I hope we get him. We definitely need more goals in the forward line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Not a hope in hell Chelsea will win the Champions League, they'd almost definitly have to beat both Real Madrid and Barcelona, that simply won't happen. I'd be more worried about them only being 3 points behind us though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Can't see it happening.

As was said above they'll probably have to beat both Madrid and Barca to win it, which I just can't see them doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

Hey

Long tie lurker and longer time Arsenal fan.

I think Arsene's experiment has come to an end and I'd like to think he knows it. He tried to build a winning team from scratch by spending as little as possible on transfer fees. Also tried to keep the wage bill structured across the entire squad.

Unfortunately the team he tried to build didnt buy into his vision. The current squad combined with Cole, Flamini, Diarra, Adebayour, Clichy, Nasri, Cesc would certainly be a title challenging squad.

Even in hindsight having Lehmann, Campbell, Henry, Pires, Ljungberg, Vieira staying on for a few years and integrating with the newer squad members would have eased the transition.

Wage limitations no doubt led to some of these players leaving especially in the cases of the over 30's.

Getting 3rd or 4th this season will be a great achievement, especially after the start that the team had. Either of these positions are achieveable.

For the future it would be great if Van P was to stay (let him name his price). I feel he will stay but if not the club has lost players of his calibre in recent seasons and survived. Wenger has shown he still has an eye for cheap quality players (Vermaelen, Koscielny, the Ox).

As I said I think Wenger knows his experiment is over. He will start to spend money and add to his squad. There are plenty of players that need to be moved on which can free up wages and squad positions.

The behind the scenes activities haven't helped and I think there were restrictions imposed on Wenger that we will never know about (not until his autobiography anyway). He definitely deserves one more year to rectify the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

Seems to be good banter in the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

cson wrote: »

Seems to be good banter in the squad.

Ha, looks like fringpong is the new Eboue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Omeceron wrote: »
    Hey

Long tie lurker and longer time Arsenal fan.

I think Arsene's experiment has come to an end and I'd like to think he knows it. He tried to build a winning team from scratch by spending as little as possible on transfer fees. Also tried to keep the wage bill structured across the entire squad.

Unfortunately the team he tried to build didnt buy into his vision. The current squad combined with Cole, Flamini, Diarra, Adebayour, Clichy, Nasri, Cesc would certainly be a title challenging squad.

Even in hindsight having Lehmann, Campbell, Henry, Pires, Ljungberg, Vieira staying on for a few years and integrating with the newer squad members would have eased the transition.

Wage limitations no doubt led to some of these players leaving especially in the cases of the over 30's.

Getting 3rd or 4th this season will be a great achievement, especially after the start that the team had. Either of these positions are achieveable.

For the future it would be great if Van P was to stay (let him name his price). I feel he will stay but if not the club has lost players of his calibre in recent seasons and survived. Wenger has shown he still has an eye for cheap quality players (Vermaelen, Koscielny, the Ox).

As I said I think Wenger knows his experiment is over. He will start to spend money and add to his squad. There are plenty of players that need to be moved on which can free up wages and squad positions.

The behind the scenes activities haven't helped and I think there were restrictions imposed on Wenger that we will never know about (not until his autobiography anyway). He definitely deserves one more year to rectify the squad.

I think the "experiment" was forced on him by the stadium build. He knew the finances wouldn't be around to make big signings and he had to develop and promote youth to a bigger degree than normal. Hopefully, those financial shackles will be released a little now, we'll have to wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Chelsea hypothetically winning the CL wont bother us when we finish in 3rd (it frustrates me that if it werent for VDV's handball against us we'd be ahead of them right now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Galvasean wrote: »
    Chelsea hypothetically winning the CL wont bother us when we finish in 3rd (it frustrates me that if it werent for VDV's handball against us we'd be ahead of them right now)

As poor as we were at the start of the season in one of the losses we were a goal up until VDV's handball and the other we had stayed well in a game at 0-0 while down to 10 men until a freak of an own goal.

As for the Wenger "project" I'd still love to know where the money for an alternative route would've been. I'll be honest, I feel that Wenger and everyone else involved had been banking on a stable-ish top 4 for the next while so had Liverpool not faded over the last few years then City's money would've screwed us. Spurs improving so much couldn't have been predicted either IMO.
    Either way, 4th this year and next and then while everyone else cuts back we'll have another 50 million or so a year to spend. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Omeceron wrote: »
    Hey

I can't see any change in transfer policy tbh.

As for the rest of your post, its pretty much just pointing out the obvious.

• Advertisement

danlen wrote: »
    I can't see any change in transfer policy tbh.

As for the rest of your post, its pretty much just pointing out the obvious.

Doesn't need to be a massive change. If he and the club stick to the idea of running the club without making constant losses it still means way more to spend in a couple of years when the sponsorship deals are up. As I said, when FFP comes in most teams will have to spend a lot less than they do now, Arsenal will likely be able to spend a lot more than they do now.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Couldn't care less if Chelsea won the CL. They'll never be London's top club, they were only formed in 2003 after all. As for the other shower, they've qualified for the CL only ONCE in their history. They've won one trophy in 20 years. They haven't won the league in colour. Don't believe what you read in the papers, there's no power shift comin. Once Taxman pisses off to the England job they'll slip back down to mid table where they belong. We're Arsenal. Top dogs in London and forever will be.

Love that fighting talk!

I have a spring in my step for the remainder of the evening now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Do people realise if we don't qualify for the champions league, then we don't comply with ffp the margins are that tight

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Do people realise if we don't qualify for the champions league, then we don't comply with ffp the margins are that tight

I think they have back up cash to cope of we don't make it this season but we'd still need to make it in next season?

How are the others doing? I'm pretty sure the 50million profit last year means we're just about ok...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I'm pretty sure we're ok. Man City will still buy all around them and find some loophole to still comply with the new rules.

As far as I can remember in the first season there'll be an allowed loss of something like 40million over 2 years. If we were to miss the CL next year the profit from last year easily covers that and we'd be hovering around not making a profit, still pretty far away from the allowed loss.

I tried too rind the article I read maybe Swiss ramble, or maybe from the AST meeting a while back maybe someone can find it
    But it def said If we don't make champions league next year we wouldn't comply

I tried too rind the article I read maybe Swiss ramble, or maybe from the AST meeting a while back maybe someone can find it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

We'l comply if we sell RVP.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

meriwether wrote: »

We'l comply if we sell RVP.
    It was the AST who suggested it and Swiss ramble debunked it.

If we were at risk of falling foul then you'd probably have to look to the Championship to get 4 teams for the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I think we need to start losing again. This is only the sixth post in the last two days, two of which were about poor Muamba (personally, I'm hoping Bolton can go on and win the cup for him). Not used to it being this quite around here :o

Ehh bank holiday weekend and some people have lives where they aren't plugged into the internet and on boards or other forums 24/7.

Oh and added to that some of us have sh*** broadband at home. :mad:

Even if Arsenal won by 10 goals, signed Messi and spurs, liverpool & man utd declared bankruptcy I still wouldn't have been on.
    Mind I would have been in the pub. :D

I do agree with you on this.
    After seeing what happened to poor Muamba I do wish Bolton the best for the rest of the season.

Back on latest discussion, the thing that always gets me about new rules/restrictions brought into sports meant to even the playing field is that after a wee while the same big guys are still at the top.

I don't expect any changes to come in that suddenly means the likes of Barca, Real, man utd, etc who are in massive debt are left out of the CL for long, nevermind the likes of fighting relegation .
    There is always away around certain rules.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

It was the AST who suggested it and Swiss ramble debunked it.

If we were at risk of falling foul then you'd probably have to look to the Championship to get 4 teams for the CL.

The notion is complete bonkers.

Amazing how good a player like Diaby looks when playing among people closer to his level.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gervinho#Cardiac_Arrest
    On Monday 19th March 2012, Gervinho collapsed into a fit during a training session at Arsenals training ground while screaming what spectators recall to be 'HALALALALALA HALAL HALALA HALAL SKEET SKETT SKEET SKEET SKEET BIDDLY BOO WOP A DONSONS' We later found that Gervinho was in cardiac arrest, and despite Vinne Jones attempts to revive him by playing the Bee Gees, Gervinho retired from international football.

Classy bastard whoever that was.

Diaby equalises but looks to have injured himself in the process...

greendom wrote: »
    Diaby equalises but looks to have injured himself in the process...

Nasty one on the replay, no luck.

Desperate tackle in the first half as well a Liverpool player got a yellow for, seems the "get it up them" against Arsenal thing goes through to the reserves and all.

amacachi wrote: »
    Nasty one on the replay, no luck.

Desperate tackle in the first half as well a Liverpool player got a yellow for, seems the "get it up them" against Arsenal thing goes through to the reserves and all.

Yes very nasty, surprised Suso stayed on; Diaby looks like he's recovered, but you always feel he's about to collapse into a heap.

Yes very nasty, surprised Suso stayed on; Diaby looks like he's recovered, but you always feel he's about to collapse into a heap.

Amazing he got up from this one:

Don't think there was even a freekick given for that. And then it began...

• Advertisement

Amazing he got up from this one:

Don't think there was even a freekick given for that. And then it began...

And he'd been playing so well until that rush of blood to his head

And he'd been playing so well until that rush of blood to his head

Wouldn't have blamed him if he'd reacted more proportionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I couldn't believe that Wenger is the 4th highest paid manager in World football and gets more than Ferguson. He really has to win some silverware soon if this report is correct.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1111856-arsene-wenger-the-arsenal-managers-yearly-salary-is-revealed?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=arsen

Did Diaby seriously get injured scoring for the reserves?

Galvasean wrote: »
    Did Diaby seriously get injured scoring for the reserves?

He did, the physio actually treated him in the Liverpool goal. He returned to the game after a couple of minutes and lasted another 10. The substitution looked like it was precautionary though.

He was caught on a planted leg by the Pool keeper, lucky he wasn't properly injured tbh.

• Advertisement

Wow, even when he scores his luck is bad...

I couldn't believe that Wenger is the 4th highest paid manager in World football and gets more than Ferguson. He really has to win some silverware soon if this report is correct.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1111856-arsene-wenger-the-arsenal-managers-yearly-salary-is-revealed?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=arsen

FFS!! Just read through that article and we now have to pay Monaco another 3 million euro for Park because of the postponement of his military service!!

Has anyone kept up on Eduardo? He was in shocking form for his last season with us, but compared to Chamakh and Park this season, he was on fire. Wonder if he'd have been worth keeping or if he continued to deteriorate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Amazing how good a player like Diaby looks when playing among people closer to his level.

You don't rate him so?

My own opinion on him is he would be a regular starter for us if he got back to peak fitness, one of the most under rated players in the Premier League he is.

Ok, so in the article tayto lover included in his last post, according to L'Equipe we now have to pay an extra 3 million due to a clause activated by the postponement of Park's military service.

But according to Park himself, he “asked the Military Manpower Administration in early August last year to grant me an extension of overseas stay permit. The permit was granted on Aug. 29,”

His move was completed on the 30th, yet for some reason Arsenal agreed to the extra 3 million clause despite Park being granted permission to postpone his military service the day before. I can only assume that Arsenal weren't informed of this. The conspiracy theorist in me would wonder has there been an attempt to con Arsenal out of 3 million euro? I'm sure there is a simpler less sinister explanation

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement