Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Anyone know if they're showing the match on any of the tv channels tomorrow?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Gringo180 wrote: »
    You don't rate him so?

My own opinion on him is he would be a regular starter for us if he got back to peak fitness, one of the most under rated players in the Premier League he is.
    To be fair to him he was pretty good the season before last, but his fitness record is shocking and on the rare occasions he has been fit recently, his form has been very flakey. He also doesn't seem to have a position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Anyone know if they're showing the match on any of the tv channels tomorrow?

It's not on live, football first on sky will show most of it at 10.15
    otherwise you'd probably be able to watch it online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

My own opinion on him is he would be a regular starter for us if he got back to peak fitness, one of the most under rated players in the Premier League he is.

Imo, he's a tad under-rated, but that's a bout it

A good squad player and but one who shouldn't be in the starting 11. With the squad fully fit, Song should be 1st name down in the midfield. Then 2 of Arteta/Ramsey/Rosicky/Wilshere. Then Diaby/Frimpong and maybe even the OX on the fringes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

You don't rate him so?

Beating 3 players and either passing it to a centre-back or losing it isn't a talent I look for. Maybe a few years ago when I wasn't paying much attention he was better, any time I see him now he just looks clueless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Hey, you forgot Coquelin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

amacachi wrote: »
    Beating 3 players and either passing it to a centre-back or losing it isn't a talent I look for. Maybe a few years ago when I wasn't paying much attention he was better, any time I see him now he just looks clueless.

You could say the same about Song.

As Ive said if he got a bit of a run in the team and got his confidence back he would be great for us, hes the type of player that can open a defence with a bit of magic I can see why Arsene has stuck by him through his injuries. His performance (albeit a short one) against Liverpool a few weeks back was superb considering how little games he's had this season.

Two of the most memorable moments of our season are perfect examples to show that it would be wrong to say that about Song.

Just want to echo this
    Two of the most memorable moments of our season are perfect examples to show that it would be wrong to say that about Song.

After VP, Song's been the most valuable player at Arsenal this season I think. Don't like using this term but he would walk into any premiership team

1mcampo1 wrote: »
    Just want to echo this

After VP, Song's been the most valuable player at Arsenal this season I think. Don't like using this term but he would walk into any premiership team

He's been poor in spells this season tbh. When he's on song he's indispensable but he picks up way too many silly bookings. It's ridiculous how often he gets a booking for his first foul and it's down to poor anticipation. He usually does it to break up attacks, if he were a bit better positioned he could make it look less cynical at least.

• Advertisement

He's been poor in spells this season tbh. When he's on song he's indispensable but he picks up way too many silly bookings. It's ridiculous how often he gets a booking for his first foul and it's down to poor anticipation. He usually does it to break up attacks, if he were a bit better positioned he could make it look less cynical at least.

When anyone's on song they are indispensable :p

It's true though about the bookings, but still for me, second name on the sheet every week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Diaby would likely have turned into a cracking player if it hadn't of been for Dan Smith's tackle. The same with Ramsey and Eduardo; had they not been maimed by horror tackles I'm guessing Ramsey would be a lot further towards filling the Cesc shaped hole we have in the team than he is at present whilst I'd hazard a guess Eduardo would still be with us chipping 10+ goals per season playing a Wiltord esque role in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

On Song for me yes can be great but far to often hes not far to often hes average or worse no were near consitent enough. I do like him as a player but to say he would be second name on the team sheet every week is overhyping a bit much, maybe as of now because we have no one to really challenge him in his role but next year who knows with Coq and Frimpong further developing and possible signings. Possibly even move him further up the pitch to were Arteta plays now could fair out better and bring in another better suited dm or promote Coquelin.

Also anyone know how reliable a source Javier Perez is? He been saying a lot tonight about hes certain Suarez will be at Arsenal next year and Arsenal officals in Dortmund to open talks on Gotze. It weird having so many rumours floating around at this time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Always liked Eduardo especially when he could finish like this

Fantastic pass from Song too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Also anyone know how reliable a source Javier Perez is? He been saying a lot tonight about hes certain Suarez will be at Arsenal next year and Arsenal officals in Dortmund to open talks on Gotze. It weird having so many rumours floating around at this time of year.

i really hope its a case of lessons learnt after what happened at the beginning of this season.

I don't want Suarez anyway. He'd be better for us than for Liverpool though.

Adding Matias Suarez and Mario Goetze along with Podolski would be a serious show of intent from the club - if of course RVP was signed up too.

I don't want Suarez anyway. He'd be better for us than for Liverpool though.

Its Matias Suarez of Anderlecht we're being linked with as far as I'm aware. Tidy player.

cson wrote: »
    Its Matias Suarez of Anderlecht we're being linked with as far as I'm aware. Tidy player.

Yeh thats the one i meant sorry.

• Advertisement

I stand by what I said. :pac:

I think its a good idea to get emerging talent from secondary leagues in Europe in as opposed to paying top dollar for the likes of Hazard etc. Barcelona and Real Madrid have been doing for a while now via the Liga Sagres in Portugal [Pepe, Di Maria, Deco] and Ligue Un in France [Abidal].

Now I know a lot of those players like warmer climes but at the same time look at how successful Newcastle and Fulham for example have been in getting good talent from smaller leagues around Europe - Cisse, Cabaye, Dembele and Ruiz are all quality players for shag all. The alternative to that is shelling out pretty big money for players of lesser or similar quality but English based like Liverpool have done.

Its essential Arsenal have their business done pre Euro's and the vibes certainly suggest this will be the case.

On Song for me yes can be great but far to often hes not far to often hes average or worse no were near consitent enough. I do like him as a player but to say he would be second name on the team sheet every week is overhyping a bit much, maybe as of now because we have no one to really challenge him in his role but next year who knows with Coq and Frimpong further developing and possible signings. Possibly even move him further up the pitch to were Arteta plays now could fair out better and bring in another better suited dm or promote Coquelin.

Who would be ahead of him? Sagna, Vermaelen and Arteta in that order are the only one's that spring to mind... Yes, he doesn't really have any competition pushing for his place, but if/when there is someone, it would only be a good thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Who would be ahead of him? Sagna, Vermaelen and Arteta in that order are the only one's that spring to mind... Yes, he doesn't really have any competition pushing for his place, but if/when there is someone, it would only be a good thing!

Where would our defence have been without Kos this year ? He has to be up there as one of the first on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

I'm absolutely desperate for Frimpong/Coq to be a viable alternative for Song.

His defensive work is utterly unreliable.

Those through balls to RVP may be spectacular, but it isn't his bread and butter. His bread and butter is a defensive miodfielder sitting in front of the back, breaking up attacks. I've seen him do that really well once this season - against Dortmund in Emirates.

I've been told elsewhere that he has amlicence to get forward, and it is incumbent on Arteta/Ramsey to slot back in to his role. If thats the case, so be it, but somewhere along the line, our DM's go awol, often leaving our back 4 vulnerable. When you take into account that Walcott and Arshavin (when he was there) were and are bad at tracking back, its no wonder that we were dodgy defensively when runners were attacking the flanks and a hole in the centre of the field.

greendom wrote: »
    Where would our defence have been without Kos this year ? He has to be up there as one of the first on the list.

He's been outstanding.

Szch, Sagna, Vermalen and Kos are top class members of the defensive team.

Left wing is a problem.

DM is a problem (see my post above)

Tracking back by the wingers is a problem.

I've seen us linked to a CB from Ajax- Vertonghen seems really keen to join us (that endears me to him already).
    Anyone know anything about him? Seems he's good mates with Vermalen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Big enough night tonight. Its very likely that Chelsea will drop points against City .

Beating Everton and Chelsea losing and we could open up a 6 point gap.

shano_88 wrote: »
    Big enough night tonight. Its very likely that Chelsea will drop points against City .

Beating Everton and Chelsea losing and we could open up a 6 point gap.

I think tonight is a must win, for the reason that we have to pick up points before the glut of games comes, and there is fatigue/injuries to deal with.

We've had 9 days off at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Yeah tonight is massive and hopefully with the break of not having played since last monday week will give us an edge as everton had a tough cup game last weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I never bet on everton and us matches, they beat and draw with us when least expected and we trounce them vice versa. Hopefully stoke will do us a favour tonight as well as city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Sergio wrote: »
    Yeah tonight is massive and hopefully with the break of not having played since last monday week will give us an edge as everton had a tough cup game last weekend.

With all the extra enery the Arsenal players should have it sets things up nicely for another last-minute victory

• Advertisement

Arteta should get a warm welcome this evening and as said that 6 point gap would be lovely.

Chelsea will probably beat City though :P

meriwether wrote: »
    I'm absolutely desperate for Frimpong/Coq to be a viable alternative for Song.

His defensive work is utterly unreliable.

Those through balls to RVP may be spectacular, but it isn't his bread and butter. His bread and butter is a defensive miodfielder sitting in front of the back, breaking up attacks. I've seen him do that really well once this season - against Dortmund in Emirates.

I've been told elsewhere that he has amlicence to get forward, and it is incumbent on Arteta/Ramsey to slot back in to his role. If thats the case, so be it, but somewhere along the line, our DM's go awol, often leaving our back 4 vulnerable. When you take into account that Walcott and Arshavin (when he was there) were and are bad at tracking back, its no wonder that we were dodgy defensively when runners were attacking the flanks and a hole in the centre of the field.

Some of the great passes Song makes are over the top floaters, so most of the time he doesn't need to get into such advanced positions.

Koscielny has been great this season, Vermaelen less so. They should be playing together in the middle though tbh. Sagna wouldn't be our player of the season (because of injuries) but likely is our next best player after RVP.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Chelsea will probably beat City though :P

Had them in an accumulator to do just that, but alas Sunderland let me down last night. This means there is absolutely no way City can win tonight, this is how my life works when it comes to gambling :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

We aren't on TV tonight are we?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Galvasean wrote: »
    We aren't on TV tonight are we?

Nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Well not on British/Irish television.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Bah humbug. Damn City v Chelsea getting rescheduled, stealing all our TV waves or some such...

I'm sure there will be a stream available Sean.;)

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Had them in an accumulator to do just that, but alas Sunderland let me down last night. This means there is absolutely no way City can win tonight, this is how my life works when it comes to gambling :(

:)
    Unlucky mate, i thought Sunderland would win myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

It's on Tring (the foreign sports channel) so some pubs should be showing it. As I posted in the match thread it's on in the Mercantile on Dame St. for anyone looking to watch the game in the city centre.

Stolen from the off topic thread, but hey in the all time league table were not doing to bad at all :D.

p49e4.jpg

Just want to echo this

The thing about Song is he does something great one minute and then the very next just does something silly, if he would be more consistent he would be top class.

He would walk into any team maybe bar City, sure the Premier League isnt half as strong as it once was, you wouldnt see Song getting into our Invincibles team nor Utd's team back when they had Scholes and Keane in the middle or Chelsea's and Liverpools side when Mourinho and Benitez was in charge.

Everton aren't doing too badly on that list.
    Bad omen?:o

The thing about Song is he does something great one minute and then the very next just does something silly, if he would be more consistent he would be top class.

He would walk into any team maybe bar City, sure the Premier League isnt half as strong as it once was, you wouldnt see Song getting into our Invincibles team nor Utd's team back when they had Scholes and Keane in the middle or Chelsea's and Liverpools side when Mourinho and Benitez was in charge.

It's subjective though isn't it?
    If Song had been under another manager maybe he wouldn't have that freedom that he does under Wenger, and may have been better/worse in the DMC role.
    The likes of Mourinho & Ferguson wouldn't allow a holding midfielder such license to attack.

RVP 11 wrote: »
    It's subjective though isn't it?
    If Song had been under another manager maybe he wouldn't have that freedom that he does under Wenger, and may have been better/worse in the DMC role.
    The likes of Mourinho & Ferguson wouldn't allow a holding midfielder such license to attack.

No im talking the class of player that would be ahead of him in those sides, Vieira+Gilberto+Fabregas....Keane+Scholes....Lampard+Essien+Makelele.... Gerrard+Alonso are much all round better and complete players than Song is.

Dont get me wrong I like Song, but I thinks he's slightly over rated by our fans.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I think its a good idea to get emerging talent from secondary leagues in Europe in as opposed to paying top dollar for the likes of Hazard etc. Barcelona and Real Madrid have been doing for a while now via the Liga Sagres in Portugal [Pepe, Di Maria, Deco] and Ligue Un in France [Abidal].

Now I know a lot of those players like warmer climes but at the same time look at how successful Newcastle and Fulham for example have been in getting good talent from smaller leagues around Europe - Cisse, Cabaye, Dembele and Ruiz are all quality players for shag all. The alternative to that is shelling out pretty big money for players of lesser or similar quality but English based like Liverpool have done.

Its essential Arsenal have their business done pre Euro's and the vibes certainly suggest this will be the case.
    What league does Hazard play in? :pac:

I take the gist of your point though; Hazard is a bit too 'emerged' for us now... if we were to have gotten him it would have needed to have been 18-24 months ago.

Glad we got the Ox when we did.

No im talking the class of player that would be ahead of him in those sides, Vieira+Gilberto+Fabregas....Keane+Scholes....Lampard+Essien+Makelele.... Gerrard+Alonso are much all round better and complete players than Song is.
    I agree.
    Dont get me wrong I like Song, but I thinks he's slightly over rated by our fans.

I think any player involved in attacks @ Arsenal tends to get overrated based on the way we play, but i agree he should be better than he is, certainly at being more intelligent in midfield and not leaving the defence open to counter attacks.
    Arteta looks far more responsible in midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

Does anyone know how arshavin is getting on over in russia??

• Advertisement

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how arshavin is getting on over in russia??
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/22873/andrei-arshavin?cc=5739

3 Games played that's it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement