Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

jester77 wrote: »
    Great weekend, unless we capitulate then CL is as good as in the bag. If we can draw against Chelsea & if Chelsea win all their other remaining games, then we would only need 14 points from the last 24 to guarantee 4th. Can't see us dropping more than 10 points now or Chelsea winning all their other fixtures.

Yep congrats Arsenal, despite a terrible start and losing 2 star players, you have come back very well, well done

Reckon you have 3rd in the bag now. Splash a bit of cash in the summer and next season will be very different

Wenger said " "we want Podolski here, and if we can find world class players, we will." looks like we are in for a good summer lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Koscielny had tendonitis in his knee that morning. How serious it is, is still unknown.

Not very serious. Once he rests up he should be available against QPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

jordainius wrote: »
    That has always been a rather pathetic thing about Tottenham, they should spend more time worrying about themselves instead of Arsenal. I mean FFS, they released a dvd of their win over a second string Arsenal side in the league cup!!!

They would see finishing 19th as a resounding success and major acheivement so long as Arsenal were 20th.

To be fair, most of the talk here over the past 8 weeks has been catching tottenham, and now it's staying ahead of tottenham.
    That said, they are of course total scum :P

With the resurrection (again) of the "Is it time for Wenger to go" thread, despite reporting it several times and nothing being done about it, despite it being a blatant troll effort against the people that wanted Wenger out, I am, ironically, out.

It's bullsh*t of the highest order that this trolling is allowed to carry on.

If this was Ferguson, Mancini or Dalgleish, there's no way it would have lasted this many resurrections. There was a thread about 4 months ago called "Is it time for Fergie to go" or something like that, it didn't even last a couple of days before it was locked.

So, Gooners, it's been fun, but life is too short to deal with that bullsh*t.

See ye around, possibly in the Mercantile, but I won't be posting in here again til this bullsh*t gets sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

With the resurrection (again) of the "Is it time for Wenger to go" thread, despite reporting it several times and nothing being done about it, despite it being a blatant troll effort against the people that wanted Wenger out, I am, ironically, out.

If this was Ferguson, Mancini or Dalgleish, there's no way it would have lasted this many resurrections. There was a thread about 4 months ago called "Is it time for Fergie to go" or something like that, it didn't even last a couple of days before it was locked.

See ye around, possibly in the Mercantile, but I won't be posting in here again til this bullsh*t gets sorted.

It's only a bit of banter - Sure Pool fans are getting it bad at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Just seen Newcastle went level with Chelsea after yesterday's win, how fcuking great would it be if spurs finished sixth? :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Do what I do man, just subscribe to this thread. i rarely look at the rest of the forum except when there's a match thread on the go. Not for any particular reason or anything, I just have no interest in talking about other teams!

I wouldn't have even known about it had you not posted about it.
    I voted no BTW.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

It's tit for tat really. After every bad run it gets dragged up too. I don't agree with you on Wenger and I'm delighted that he'll surely stay another while now, but you're entitled to your opinion and shouldn't abstain from this thread because of the existence of another!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Do what I do man, just subscribe to this thread. i rarely look at the rest of the forum except when there's a match thread on the go. Not for any particular reason or anything, I just have no interest in talking about other teams!

I'm the same. I'm subscribed here and largely unaware of what goes on elsewhere in the forum. Only in times of great boredom do I venture outside these safe walls.

*peeks in the Wenger out thread*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Gringo180 wrote: »
    He's a good midfielder, just below world class level. He can be too lacks a daisy at times, nearly cost us a win at Goodison last week with a horrendous pass and its not the first time he's done that this season. Id rather Arteta in the team than Song personally. Athough I do hope he signs a contract extension with us too.

He's still only 24 lads.

Think about Song two years back and Song now and look at the improvement he's made. That's not going to stop - most DMF/CMFs peak from about 26/27 to 31/32, same as defenders.

Makelele was 25 when he went to Celta Vigo and 27 when he joined Madrid.

there's nothing to suggest that Song won't keep learning and keep improving, and the things that people complain about - playing poor balls, over-complicating his play - are all things that more experience and maturity should sort out.

In short, he's a beast for his age and he's only going to improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

L'prof wrote: »
    It's tit for tat really. After every bad run it gets dragged up too. I don't agree with you on Wenger and I'm delighted that he'll surely stay another while now, but you're entitled to your opinion and shouldn't abstain from this thread because of the existence of another!

I'm amazed there isnt a
    "Will Mancini be sacked having spent squillions of euros and failed to win anything this season and knocked out of the Cl group stages" thread!

Thats a more interesting question!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

gosplan wrote: »
    He's still only 24 lads.

Think about Song two years back and Song now and look at the improvement he's made. That's not going to stop - most DMF/CMFs peak from about 26/27 to 31/32, same as defenders.

Makelele was 25 when he went to Celta Vigo and 27 when he joined Madrid.

there's nothing to suggest that Song won't keep learning and keep improving, and the things that people complain about - playing poor balls, over-complicating his play - are all things that more experience and maturity should sort out.

In short, he's a beast for his age and he's only going to improve.

Good post and I for one thing hope your right and he does improve to world class level as it will only benefit us as a team, its just the way some of our fans go on about him as if there's nothing like him :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Everyone was right and worried because of the start and the transfer dealings. People panicked, people made rash comments (myself included) but it wasn't like people did it for the sake of it. It happened for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

On the subject of the "Is it time for Wenger to go?" thread, it's worth noting that the same type thread about Dalglish has more posts in 4 days than the Wenger one has in 3 years, so we're not alone in this sort of carry on!

I just ignore it, no other fan understands the respect Arsenal fans have for Wenger even at our lowest points.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Good post and I for one thing hope your right and he does improve to world class level as it will only benefit us as a team, its just the way some of our fans go on about him as if there's nothing like him :confused:

Agreed, i do like Song and do think he is a quality player, but his lack of responsibility in midfield shows he lacks the intelligence needed to be considered anyway close to World Class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Children. "Oh they're trollin!" **** em. One thing I was happy about when Arsenal were doing **** was that was seemingly could take a slagging unlike the Liverpool fans anytime they lose. Looks like I was wrong. :rolleyes:

If we had started the season in even a half decent fashion, we could possibly be challenging for the title now. The problem was the start and the real lack of confidence in the squad. Really bad summer signing plans didn't help either.

Wenger was right to get criticised for that.

• Advertisement

Seriously, we're not good enough to challenge for the title barring every other team fixing for draws or something.

amacachi wrote: »
    Seriously, we're not good enough to challenge for the title barring every other team fixing for draws or something.
    That was the problem. The team wasn't good enough at the start of the season. 2 extra quality players and confidence would have been better at the start.

Exactly, the team is for sure good enough now (mentality wise), this summers signings will be our most important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Don't think we are mentally there yet. all it takes is 1 defeat or draw and we hit a slump. I think once we sort that out and hold onto RVP and if man city doesn't end up buying barca and real, we're in a with a decent shout for contenders.

Don't think we are mentally there yet. all it takes is 1 defeat or draw and we hit a slump. I think once we sort that out and hold onto RVP and if man city doesn't end up buying barca and real, we're in a with a decent shout for contenders.

How do you guess that?
    Arteta has just come out to say the mentality of the team is a big surprise to him and how he is really impressed with it and Wenger has been harping on about mentality for years.
    It has to be more impressive now with RVP & Vermo the only real World Class players in the ranks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

RVP 11 wrote: »
    How do you guess that?
    Arteta has just come out to say the mentality of the team is a big surprise to him and how he is really impressed with it and Wenger has been harping on about mentality for years.
    It has to be more impressive now with RVP & Vermo the only real World Class players in the ranks.

Kos? For me hes been our best defender for some time now. Id also class Sagna as world class, with Chmaberlain and Wilshere chomping at the bit to be next up on the block heres hoping they can live up to it.

I think if we make two or three good signings of established players and we can challenge the United and City teams ahead of us at the momment arent great teams there just winning a sub standard EPL at the momment, I do love when Wenger buys the like of Chamberlain it exciting as a fan but we also need some players who will come in and lead by example and be ready for action straight away.

• Advertisement

Kos? For me hes been our best defender for some time now. Id also class Sagna as world class, with Chmaberlain and Wilshere chomping at the bit to be next up on the block heres hoping they can live up to it.

I think if we make two or three good signings of established players and we can challenge the United and City teams ahead of us at the momment arent great teams there just winning a sub standard EPL at the momment, I do love when Wenger buys the like of Chamberlain it exciting as a fan but we also need some players who will come in and lead by example and be ready for action straight away.

Kos isn't World Class, he may turn out to be in a season or two, who knows.:)
    Sagna quite possibly.
    Chambo, should be very soon :) hopefully

KeithAFC wrote: »
    That was the problem. The team wasn't good enough at the start of the season. 2 extra quality players and confidence would have been better at the start.

We lost to Blackburn and Spurs after the transfer window closed. Even the run after that we looked very poor at times. If RVP gets injured we're well down. While I don't think he's quite as vital as others do he's still massively important. We had our team bought and paid for when we lost 3 in a row after Christmas. We've lost twice to City and United this season.

This idea that we're on the verge of something massive is just setting oneself up for a fall and someone to blame when (not if) it doesn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Sagna quite possibly.
    Sagna is the best right back in the Premiership.

This idea that we're on the verge of something massive is just setting oneself up for a fall and someone to blame when (not if) it doesn't happen.

I don't think anyone in their right mind sees us on the verge of something massive.:)
    But one or two quality signings and we can challenge for something (not massive).:cool:

I don't think anyone in their right mind sees us on the verge of something massive.:)
    But one or two quality signings and we can challenge for something (not massive).:cool:

We could challenge for either cup with our current squad, so I assume it's the league people are talking about. Pretty huge.

• Advertisement

We could challenge for either cup with our current squad, so I assume it's the league people are talking about. Pretty huge.

Well that is a a tad ambitious :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

We lost to Blackburn and Spurs after the transfer window closed. Even the run after that we looked very poor at times. If RVP gets injured we're well down. While I don't think he's quite as vital as others do he's still massively important. We had our team bought and paid for when we lost 3 in a row after Christmas. We've lost twice to City and United this season.

Didnt someone say recently that excluding van Persie, we have scored almost the same amount of goals as Liverpool? Take out the freak United result and we've conceded the exact same amount too. Thats a little down, but not well down. I think people are underselling the team without van Persie. We clearly wouldnt be where we are now, but we also wouldnt be a million miles behind either.

Im not saying that would be a good position to be in, just not as bad as people like to make out.

Well that is a a tad ambitious :o

Exactly, but what else is there? We're good enough to have a shot at either domestic cup with a bit of luck, that's nothing new.

Exactly, but what else is there? We're good enough to have a shot at either domestic cup with a bit of luck, that's nothing new.

There is always the Champions League, if Barca get knocked out by someone else that is.;)

How do you guess that?

When we're winning there's no better mentality, but noone has more bad periods than us. UTD or city may lose the odd game here and there, we seem to lose\draw 3-4 in a row. We'd 3 really bad periods this year that really damaged us, we'd the spectacular slump last year. the gallas birmingham city time, hell even the invincibles suffered for it, they lost to united and we looked to be cruising to another title and hit a slump after that and never recovered and finished 3rd well off the pace with pretty much the entire invincibles team. don't get me started on novemer of most years.

When we're winning there's no better mentality, but noone has more bad periods than us. UTD or city may lose the odd game here and there, we seem to lose\draw 3-4 in a row. We'd 3 really bad periods this year that really damaged us, we'd the spectacular slump last year. the gallas birmingham city time, hell even the invincibles suffered for it, they lost to united and we looked to be cruising to another title and hit a slump after that and never recovered and finished 3rd well off the pace with pretty much the entire invincibles team. don't get me started on novemer of most years.

I know all about that :), but hopefully this time round we won't bottle every game where the chips are down.
    Our form has been more ruthless of late and probably down to the fact that Tottenham looked really capable of finishing ahead of us this season.
    Ramsey said that the team REALLY want to finish ahead of Spurs.
    Bit of incentive goes a long way.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

Sagna is the best right back in the Premiership.

I rate Sagna very highly, but Micah Richards has to be up there among the best in the league. He has really come on the last 2 years

Good player and an arsenal fan too, we were supposedly close to signing him before the Thai pm came along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Sagna quite possibly.

The vague world-class rating of players is a distraction.

How many of United's players are world class? - I count two and one of them's out for the season.

I'm not getting at you or anything but Man U are in the driving seat this season and won the title last season because in their heads they are winners, and when it comes down to it on the pitch they are winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I actually think the resurrection of that thread serves a good purpose. Aside from giving me a good laugh at some of the postings of doom on there, it should also serve to make posters a bit more wary about such knee-jerk reactions, when they realise they can be seen later in time with the by people who've had the benefit of hind-sight.

I was throwing away some old newspapers and came across the sports section of a couple leading up to the Spurs game. It gave me a warm feeling to see how those doom-mongers had been proved to be so wrong -

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

You know a lot of posters still want Wenger gone and have wanted him gone for quite a while. An opinion isn't kneejerk just because it doesn't match your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

dorgasm wrote: »
    On the subject of the "Is it time for Wenger to go?" thread, it's worth noting that the same type thread about Dalglish has more posts in 4 days than the Wenger one has in 3 years, so we're not alone in this sort of carry on!

I just ignore it, no other fan understands the respect Arsenal fans have for Wenger even at our lowest points.

Most of it was caused by Wenger's reluctance to buy when we were clearly in trouble, mainly in defence, over the last few years.
    Now there's no getting away from it that had he bought and repaired the defence we actually might have won something instead of just finishing in the Top four. A little bit of spending might have won silverware.
    There are no winners or losers in the argument either. You have to respect peoples views.

You know a lot of posters still want Wenger gone and have wanted him gone for quite a while. An opinion isn't kneejerk just because it doesn't match your own.

Exactly my opinion really hasnt changed from the stat of the season, I never said we were facing relegation but I did say I dont count Champions League qualification as succes alone or good enough for this club and I still stand by that, Yeh im dleighted with the way the teams is playing right now and the attitude there showing and were all on a high and by god im loving it :D im not going to lie and yeh were all delgihted to be up in 3rd considering how this season has gone, but when this season is done and dusted will i look back on it fondly no, will I think good stuffs success we got champions league no if im being honest.

Also come the summer do I still want wholesale changes in our transfer policy yessss I do ive no problem investing in youth but we need at least two or three ready made players yes, and do we need to do something to address our mental fragility yes. Maybe Wenger is the man for the job maybe hes not as of right now the jurys still out for me well see come the summer.

Well good luck with finding anyone who could do a better job.

greendom wrote: »
    Well good luck with finding anyone who could do a better job.

I like turtles!

When people were of the opinion that we'd struggle to finish top-half this season I don't think those opinions deserve respect or to be treated equally. Some of it was ridiculous.

When people were of the opinion that we'd struggle to finish top-half this season I don't think those opinions deserve respect or to be treated equally. Some of it was ridiculous.

Yeh ok so some people said we would be relegated at the time but its a bout understanding some people not just on here are more hot headed than other and get over excited thats there nature same way ive heard whispers lately of could we catch the Manchester teams, neither are going to happen, doesnt mean you cant treat people with respect and have to try to act in a superior manner towards them. Were all fans of the same club at the end of the day.

I like turtles!

You've lost me there, - nice vid tho :)

I thought it was random tangent day.

• Advertisement

I thought it was random tangent day.

I don't think it was my post that set up the angle for that tangent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement