Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

http://fuldans.se/?v=tpoljgeecn

Weird but wonderful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Anyway, I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that Wenger will be staying over the summer. Here's what I'd like to see without any bank-breaking or whatever.

Defence - We're fine tbh. Spending money in case such a ridiculous crisis as last season happens again would be wasteful IMO. On top of that we have managed to get our defenders playing together so there's something for replacements to fit into.
    Midfield - Slap Song and tell him to stay back unless someone else is doing it. I also think there's a but of a clearout needed. Rosicky, Arteta, Song, Wilshere, Ramsey, Frimpong and Benny to fill-in should be pretty much enough. Oxlade-Chamberlain can fill in too. I'd like to not see Benny/Rosicky on the wing unless there's no other option. Coquelin and Lansbury should be available too if needed.
    Wings/Forwards - We've RVP as the upfront lad and if Chamakh could get his head together I'd want to hold onto him. As for the wings we've Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gervinho and hopefully Podolski while RVP is fit. That's pretty much enough first-team players unless there's a freak injury crisis. One full-on winger in a match if such a crisis occurred could be remedied with a full-back on a wing if needed.

Try to offload Denilson and Bendtner if anyone will take them. Cut losses on Arshavin, if someone's happy enough to pay most of his wages and it's the best we can do then so be it. Vela I don't know tbh. Diaby, Park, don't really care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

amacachi wrote: »
    Anyway, I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that Wenger will be staying over the summer. Here's what I'd like to see without any bank-breaking or whatever.

Defence - We're fine tbh. Spending money in case such a ridiculous crisis as last season happens again would be wasteful IMO. On top of that we have managed to get our defenders playing together so there's something for replacements to fit into.
    Midfield - Slap Song and tell him to stay back unless someone else is doing it. I also think there's a but of a clearout needed. Rosicky, Arteta, Song, Wilshere, Ramsey, Frimpong and Benny to fill-in should be pretty much enough. Oxlade-Chamberlain can fill in too. I'd like to not see Benny/Rosicky on the wing unless there's no other option. Coquelin and Lansbury should be available too if needed.
    Wings/Forwards - We've RVP as the upfront lad and if Chamakh could get his head together I'd want to hold onto him. As for the wings we've Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gervinho and hopefully Podolski while RVP is fit. That's pretty much enough first-team players unless there's a freak injury crisis. One full-on winger in a match if such a crisis occurred could be remedied with a full-back on a wing if needed.

Try to offload Denilson and Bendtner if anyone will take them. Cut losses on Arshavin, if someone's happy enough to pay most of his wages and it's the best we can do then so be it. Vela I don't know tbh. Diaby, Park, don't really care.

You're being excessively generous to Chamakh, and a bit unfair to Diaby.

I watched 25 mins of Ajax/PSV on sunday night, Verthongen looked alright, big lad, comfortable on the ball.

I have no idea what happened for the other 65 minutes however.

meriwether wrote: »
    You're being excessively generous to Chamakh, and a bit unfair to Diaby.

The form Chamakh has shown in the early stages of his first season, i think he deserves another chance (one mind).
    Diaby has been at the club for years and can't make a proper impact on the team.

RVP 11 wrote: »
    The form Chamakh has shown in the early stages of his first season, i think he deserves another chance (one mind).
    Diaby has been at the club for years and can't make a proper impact on the team.

Cos he's always injured.

Like RVP was.

Until he wasn't injured.

• Advertisement

Cos he's always injured.

Like RVP was.

Until he wasn't injured.

So we keep him until he has one injury free season?
    Even if he had an injury free season, do you think he will get into the team ahead of Song, Arteta or Rosicky?
    At best he is an average midfielder who promised to be the next Viera:D, he's not the next RVP in midfield.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Cos he's always injured.

Like RVP was.

Until he wasn't injured.

In fairness, even during his injury plagued days RVP was still getting sporadic runs in the team and racking up 15+ goals a season.

I do like Diaby though, I think he's a quality player, if they can sort out his injuries he could definitley do a job.

DP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'd be cautious about writing off Diaby after Rosicky's recent resurrection

Haters gonna hate..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Diaby would get in the team, if he can stay fit
    Def would keep him and hopefully he does a rosicky and get himself right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I have to admit I'm a fan of Diaby. IMO He's not really suited to a 2 man midfield and over the past few seasons his best form was when he played out on the left. I think the 3 man Midfield suits him a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

When I think of Diaby the word "could" always comes to mind.

He just just never moved up to the next level. I hope he can get passed these injuries and start dominating games like a player of his size should do

I don't know a single thing about Yann M'Villa. Is he any good?

I do know that we have Coquelin and Frimpong developing in that position too, and it seems like a waste of money.

I do know that we have Coquelin and Frimpong developing in that position too, and it seems like a waste of money.

From what i have seen, we have better, and by that i mean they have played in the Premier League.
    It could be a waste of money, i could understand if he was a replacement for Song maybe in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Anyone see this?

Fringpong on Soccer AM

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Gotze just extended his time at dortmund so thats us definately out priced now.

Oh well, what other unrealistic target can the media link us to next?

• Advertisement

Oh well, what other unrealistic target can the media link us to next?

Messi?

Messi?

He loves Arsenal.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

He loves Arsenal.:)

Get him on Jeremy Kyle for a DNA test.

amacachi wrote: »
    Get him on Jeremy Kyle for a DNA test.

Surely ol Kylie would shout at him that he's not spanish??? :D

Park scored for the reserves today again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He was brilliant for France in a friendly against England a couple of years ago. Dominated the midfield and provided the platform for their win that evening. I'd like him at Arsenal but I think we have too many in that position for it to be a viable move.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

M'Vila is top drawer IMO and a few months ago I was saying in this thread that he's exactly what Arsenal need.

With all due respect to Coquelin and Frimpong he's a massive improvement on them.

If Arsenal did sign him he'd be an excellent piece of business IMO.
    Only problem is I'd say every big club in Europe is watching him.

http://bit.ly/GU80dy

A review on gnarby, he is gonna be brilliant I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Born in 1995?! Mother of god.

• Advertisement

Yep and he is standing out for the reverses
    Already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Even I feel old when I see some of their years of birth.
    It takes me a minute to calculate that their old enough to be in secondary school.

If Chelsea go through, they will prob have barca in the semis
    Our game against them will be in between the two barca games
    I like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Good results for us tonight with the two smaller London clubs still having an interest in other competitions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Arsenal
    QPR (a)
    Man City (H)
    Wolves (a)
    Wigan (H)
    Chelsea (H)
    Stoke (a)
    Norwich (H)
    West Brom (a)

Chelsea
    Aston Villa (a)
    Wigan (H)
    Fulham (a)
    Newcastle (H)
    Arsenal (a)
    QPR (H)
    Liverpool (a)
    Blackburn (H)

Tottenham
    Swansea (H)
    Sunderland (a)
    Norwich (H)
    Bolton (a)
    QPR (a)
    Blackburn (H)
    Aston Villa (a)
    Fulham (H)

We have to go to Stoke- has been a banana skin in the past, and we have to visit QPR and Wolves who are fighting for their Premiership lives. And two tricky home games. We have been given great cause for optimism recently, but our run in is far from straight forward.

I can see Tottenham getting 20 points, which wouldn't give us that much breathing space. Chelsea might drop points at Fulham/Liverpool/Arsenal so only a major collapse would drag us below them now.

Cautiously optimistic, at least we are no longer in a position whereby we need other teams to slip up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

jordainius wrote: »
    Cautiously optimistic, at least we are no longer in a position whereby we need other teams to slip up!

Exactly much rather be looking over our shoulder than looking to see whos in front of us, its in our own hands now. Ideally third so at least come the summer even for new signings we can have guaranteed champions league in place. Ive a feeling well get 3rd aswell the two teams behind us arent in great form at the momment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Read on twitter earlier today that Arsenal are entering that Nextgen tournament next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

jordainius wrote: »
    Arsenal
    QPR (a)W
    Man City (H)L
    Wolves (a)W
    Wigan (H)W
    Chelsea (H)D
    Stoke (a)D
    Norwich (H)W
    West Brom (a)W

17 POINTS

Chelsea
    Aston Villa (a)W
    Wigan (H)W
    Fulham (a)D
    Newcastle (H)W
    Arsenal (a)D
    QPR (H)W
    Liverpool (a)D
    Blackburn (H)W

18 POINTS

Tottenham
    Swansea (H)W
    Sunderland (a)D
    Norwich (H)W
    Bolton (a)W
    QPR (a)D
    Blackburn (H)W
    Aston Villa (a)D
    Fulham (H)D

16 POINTS

End of year table:
    Arsenal 75
    Tottenham Hotspur 71
    Chelsea 68

Gonna be squeaky bum time from here on in!

shano_88 wrote: »
    Read on twitter earlier today that Arsenal are entering that Nextgen tournament next year.

Whats that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

shano_88 wrote: »

Excellent, I was very disappointed we weren't in the inaugural competition!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Galvasean wrote: »
    Whats that?

It's a Youth team tournament. Liverpool and Spurs were in it this year along with the likes of Ajax and Barca. Didn't see any of it, but it's supposed to be far more competitive than regular youth and reserve matches. Chelsea and United are apparently also joining next year so it will be even more competitive. At worst, it's competitive games for the youngsters. At best, it's a trophy albeit an underage one.

There is a thread here about it. Was posted in recently so you won't have to go too far back to find it if you are interested.

• Advertisement

A bit like champions League for youngsters? Cool. Good place for Wenger to go shopping :cool:

It'll be the perfect place to sell my barca DNA detector. Spot em young and save on future pain and frustration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

1mcampo1 wrote: »
    End of year table:
    Arsenal 75
    Tottenham Hotspur 71
    Chelsea 68

Gonna be squeaky bum time from here on in!

Good summation of what could happen alright, although I think Bolton will get some points against Spurs.

But I do hope City beat us.

The thoughts of, yet again, the Mancs reaching the summit with, let's face it, a very poor team would be soul destroying. Granted there's not much better in the league but, there is, and that's the point. How they have got where they are, with what they have, is a miracle.

The Fergie factor is huge.

Mind you, I hate the way City are run at the moment so it's a close call.

I don't like it, I tell you. I don't like it one little bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

FLOOPER wrote: »
    Good summation of what could happen alright, although I think Bolton will get some points against Spurs.

The thoughts of, yet again, the Mancs reaching the summit with, let's face it, a very poor team would be soul destroying. Granted there's not much better in the league but, there is, and that's the point. How they have got where they are, with what they have, is a miracle.

Personally I hope we win all our remaining games and both City and UTD lose theres and we win the league. Happy days!!

I get where you're coming from tho. Sick to death of UTD at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

FLOOPER wrote: »

Please tell me you're not an Arsenal fan?? I couldn't care less which Manchester club wins the title. We lose any game and that's our three point gap over Tottenham wiped out, and they have an easier run in than us.

We absolutely must finish ahead of Tottenham so long as Chelsea are still in the Champions league. It's unlikely they'll win it, but on the off chance that they do we absolutely must be ahead of Tottenham. I don't know why any Arsenal fan would want us to lose to City!!

jonny666 wrote: »
    Personally I hope we win all our remaining games and both City and UTD lose theres and we win the league. Happy days!!

I get where you're coming from tho. Sick to death of UTD at this stage

To be honest I think I'm rooting for UTD this year as much as I hate to say that there the lesser of two evils really would hate to see Nasri smiling lifting that cup aloft with Clichy standing behind him with just as big a grin. For that reason and that reason alone I'm going for united. Also don't want rvp looking at them getting ideas either.

I am not rooting for United, but i am rooting for City to Fail.
    I don't think City knocking United off their perch is of any use to the rest of the Premier League.:)

Reading around this morning and it looks we're dead set on getting another DM in with M'Villa top of the list but if we don't get him we will go for Biliga
    I find this strange and can only think we will play with two DMs next season

Same here UTD are the lesser of 2 evils for me, this whole sugar daddy thing has really bugged me, i was going for utd back in the day when daddy roman came along.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement