Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I know we would not have lost. Felt Wenger actually s*** on the eggs bringing him on and if he felt he would change the game then why did he not take off the useless Wally ?

Did Wenger not say Ox was suffering from a muscle strain, hence why he was subbed off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Galvasean wrote: »
    Did Wenger not say Ox was suffering from a muscle strain, hence why he was subbed off?

He did indeed say that but it seemed to be news to Ox when he was asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

In fairness, I don't really buy that one...he seems to have a soft spot for the Russian, playing some part in all but 3 epl games.

gosplan wrote: »
    No you don't, you just choose to believe that's what would have happened.

Wenger's explained that too. It may not be true but he gave his reasons.

I do indeed choose to believe that because we were looking more like winning than they were despite some of our players being well below par. I certainly do not think we would have lost. I also thought that Kos and Verm should have been switched because Kos is better at left back than Verm imo. Could be wrong but again don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

I don't for one second believe that wenger should go. And I've gotten the impression since the start of the season that he is genuinely trying to change things at the club.. I do believe his hands are tied when it comes to the transfer side of things. For example, I feel that theirs no way in hell, he'll be allowed buy a winger until Arshavin or Walcott are gone. Same story up top with Chamakh.

But god forbid, if he was to leave at the end of the season.. The only manager I can see doing his job is David Moyes :o The man has done wonders at Everton with an absolute pittance to spend, and he has a great eye for a bargain. He'd suit our current board down to the ground... Even if not at Arsenal, he does deserve a chance at a bigger club..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Genuine question for the people who think Wenger should go.

When should he go?

It's a very very important detail with the obvious next question being, who should replace him?

Now I don't expect many people to have an answer to the second as readily to the first, but does anyone have an idea as to a shortlist of managers who could replace him?

For me I think we're nearing dangerous waters here. Of course, it's been sh1t lately but what are the alternatives?? For this team to compete we need a manager who can be successful in the premier league - technically there are five of them and they're at Man U, Liverpool, Madrid, PSG and Arsenal.

Now it would be silly to go on league titles alone, other managers have had success in premier league - Rafa spent loads of cash on 40 players, 3 of them really good, and ran Utd very close one year. Good in cups but won the big one with someone else's team. The main thing is he never topped United. How would he do with City and the current Spurs team up there too?

Then where are you? Hiddink, Houlier, O'Neill? It's a very very short list and bear in mind that clubs like Newcastle and Spurs have been frequently changing manager looking for the one that'll bring them up to where they want to be.

Knowing what you know now, would you swap Wenger for Villas Boas. The answer could be yes or no but it's close and this is a man who 6 months ago was touted as a revolutionary manager, the best since Mourhino hit the scene nearly 10 years ago?
    Unless you're City or Chelsea and can pay any wages and offer any transfer funds, is a managerial search not just pot luck really?

People say, 'well the board will search and find the right man for the job' but what about the efforts of boards of other clubs who haven't been able to? After 20 years and 15 managers, it finally looks like Tottenham are going to finish higher in the league than us. 20 years of fluctuations, searching for managers, false dawns and money spent. I was reading earlier about how bad a reflection it supposedly is on Arsenal that their wages are so much lower than ours. 20 years! 20 years of trying and it's all clicked over the last two seasons when they found a great manager, spend a couple of hundred million and one of their half-decent squad players suddenly turned into a genius. I don't begrudge Spurs this and I realise that they're not just about finishing above Arsenal, but you can't ignore that's it's taken them decades of trying different combinations of managers and players until they've now mounted something resembling a title challenge. Why will this be so much easier for Arsenal when we ditch Wenger? Incidentally, I'm also curious to see what happens when one or two of Spurs' star players move on and Redknapp takes the England job.

That's what happens with managers: for most clubs they're the same as players. Look at Chelsea and their revolving door, now they've had some success and a few brilliant managers(and a few failures in between). However Hiddink wouldn't stay, Mourhino probably would have left but we won't know and Ancelotti was given the boot. Perhaps the last two would have had long and successful careers at Chelsea if Roman hadn't intervened but would they have come to Arsenal without the promise of an infinite transfer budget in Mourhino's case or at least the strength of the squad and recent titles in Ancelotti's?

Can we attract these people to the club? Will they be in it for the long term?

I wanted to post about our performances and the race(?) for 5th but I've been at this for too long so that'll wait.

I just wanted to get the point across to Arsenal fans that they need to be careful what they wish for. Maybe Arsne does have his best years behind him but if it's him or the unknown then it has to be him. With a settled side that's lucky in terms of injuries and a preseason that doesn't involve having the guts ripped out of the team for once, you all know that he can put us back near the top. I think that till the financial fair play and home grown player rules kick in, you have to feel that's about the best that any manager will be able to achieve.

Wenger can do it and he might fail. Other managers might be able.

Also, as regards the very first question. Anyone who's anwser is that he's lost it and should go in the summer, could you just put that in your sig instead of telling us after every point dropped.

Keep the faith!!

Great post!

This is the problem. Replacing a manager who has been at a club for so long is next to impossible. Wenger has such a good rep that no one bar the best of the best will do, but they more then likely wouldn't come to arsenal. In my time following football properly I can't really remember any club having a manager there for as long as wenger and tryin to,replace him.

I don't want wenger to go as i feel its more of a board level problem but we shouldn't fear the unknown either. Remember the famous headline in the paper when wenger was appointed. He was relativity unknown in England at the time.

I don't really know what I am tryin to say here but arsenal won trophies before wenger and they will win them after him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    In fairness, I don't really buy that one...he seems to have a soft spot for the Russian, playing some part in all but 3 epl games.

Only explanation is, Wenger is hoping that Arshavin throws in a few decent performances between now and July. Drive his price up a little... Here's to hoping he has a great time at the Euros with the Russians :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

Was at the game yesterday. Absolutely shocked by the attitude of at least half the team yesterday. Cruising around the pitch one paced, not closing down, not getting back, not supporting in defence or attack.

Disgraceful really.

If djourou was playing for utd he'd never get a game for them again. Same for arshavin, an absolute disgrace.....but then you have to question what the hell Wenger was doing putting him on???

But the most striking thing was watching the contrast between Walcott and Alex OC.

OC started a bit nervously but came into the game and showed signs of being a real player. Always looking to do something positive with the ball, determined in the tackle.....while on the other wing, walcott.... who thinks winning throw ins is a job well done. never mind stepping out of tackles all over the shop. a pretender if there ever was one.

But sure what happens if you dont perform.......not much eh.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got.......

Perhaps its time Wenger laid into some of the passengers in the team in public and shook things up a bit or......

unfortunately at this stage its time he moved on himself

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

When should he go?

It's a very very important detail with the obvious next question being, who should replace him?

Now I don't expect many people to have an answer to the second as readily to the first, but does anyone have an idea as to a shortlist of managers who could replace him?

For me I think we're nearing dangerous waters here. Of course, it's been sh1t lately but what are the alternatives?? For this team to compete we need a manager who can be successful in the premier league - technically there are five of them and they're at Man U, Liverpool, Madrid, PSG and Arsenal.

Now it would be silly to go on league titles alone, other managers have had success in premier league - Rafa spent loads of cash on 40 players, 3 of them really good, and ran Utd very close one year. Good in cups but won the big one with someone else's team. The main thing is he never topped United. How would he do with City and the current Spurs team up there too?

Then where are you? Hiddink, Houlier, O'Neill? It's a very very short list and bear in mind that clubs like Newcastle and Spurs have been frequently changing manager looking for the one that'll bring them up to where they want to be.

Knowing what you know now, would you swap Wenger for Villas Boas. The answer could be yes or no but it's close and this is a man who 6 months ago was touted as a revolutionary manager, the best since Mourhino hit the scene nearly 10 years ago?
    Unless you're City or Chelsea and can pay any wages and offer any transfer funds, is a managerial search not just pot luck really?

People say, 'well the board will search and find the right man for the job' but what about the efforts of boards of other clubs who haven't been able to? After 20 years and 15 managers, it finally looks like Tottenham are going to finish higher in the league than us. 20 years of fluctuations, searching for managers, false dawns and money spent. I was reading earlier about how bad a reflection it supposedly is on Arsenal that their wages are so much lower than ours. 20 years! 20 years of trying and it's all clicked over the last two seasons when they found a great manager, spend a couple of hundred million and one of their half-decent squad players suddenly turned into a genius. I don't begrudge Spurs this and I realise that they're not just about finishing above Arsenal, but you can't ignore that's it's taken them decades of trying different combinations of managers and players until they've now mounted something resembling a title challenge. Why will this be so much easier for Arsenal when we ditch Wenger? Incidentally, I'm also curious to see what happens when one or two of Spurs' star players move on and Redknapp takes the England job.

That's what happens with managers: for most clubs they're the same as players. Look at Chelsea and their revolving door, now they've had some success and a few brilliant managers(and a few failures in between). However Hiddink wouldn't stay, Mourhino probably would have left but we won't know and Ancelotti was given the boot. Perhaps the last two would have had long and successful careers at Chelsea if Roman hadn't intervened but would they have come to Arsenal without the promise of an infinite transfer budget in Mourhino's case or at least the strength of the squad and recent titles in Ancelotti's?

I wanted to post about our performances and the race(?) for 5th but I've been at this for too long so that'll wait.

I just wanted to get the point across to Arsenal fans that they need to be careful what they wish for. Maybe Arsne does have his best years behind him but if it's him or the unknown then it has to be him. With a settled side that's lucky in terms of injuries and a preseason that doesn't involve having the guts ripped out of the team for once, you all know that he can put us back near the top. I think that till the financial fair play and home grown player rules kick in, you have to feel that's about the best that any manager will be able to achieve.

Also, as regards the very first question. Anyone who's anwser is that he's lost it and should go in the summer, could you just put that in your sig instead of telling us after every point dropped.

Keep the faith!!

Super post, makes sense from start to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I do indeed choose to believe that because we were looking more like winning than they were despite some of our players being well below par. I certainly do not think we would have lost. I also thought that Kos and Verm should have been switched because Kos is better at left back than Verm imo. Could be wrong but again don't think so.

Kos is right footed. I don't see why he would have done much better than Vermaelen at left back. Has he even played there before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Kos is right footed. I don't see why he would have done much better than Vermaelen at left back. Has he even played there before?

I think he is getting mixed up. Kos was a right back before coming to arsenal and was playing there when Sagna and Jenkinson got injured but before Santos was out. We had a back four of Santos mert verm and kos. Im just going from my own memory so correct me if Im wrong. Then Santos got injured and verm had to be sent out left and kos back in centre. Anyways its all a very disruptive rotation we've been forced into. The weirdest part was getting used to kos and verm taking throw ins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

When should he go?

Keep the faith!!

For me the sentence in bold can sum up your whole post really, so maybe his best years are behind him and we do appear to be falling further and further behind the pack slowly but steadily but instead of taking the bull by the horns and make the neccessary changes were going to play it safe and be happy with the mediocrity that were seeing right now because who knows if we change things it might get worse it might get better but we dont know so well stick to whats half working.

As for your first question id never sack him in mid season he deserves more respect than that for what he has achieved with the club id give him till the end of the season and hope he can prove me wrong finger crossed he can make me eat my words but even finishong fourth I wouldnt count as good enough on its own Id need to finsih fourth and see the right coming and goings in the transfer market along with it for me to feel hes making the right choices for the good of the club and not the board at a minimum for him to deseve to keep his job. The players also need to show the right attitude on the pitch and whatever people say about the transfers in and out its the managers job to motivate and get the best out of his players week in week out were not seeing this from the squad this solely falls at the managers feet and no one else. Case in point Chamakh is meant to have played a great game for Morrocco tonight.

Your second question for me Moyes would be ideal, also Ancelotti has recently admitted he was doing his best to hold out for the Arsenal or Spurs job if they became available. A lot of people seem to think Arsenal would have trouble attracting manager your wrong there plenty of top class managers out there who would gladly take the position. Plus you dont need to have EPL credentials to get the job did Ferguson when he took over United, did Mourinho when he took over Chelsea, did Benitez when he took over Liverpool so that shouldnt be a deciding factor at all.

Also do we honestly know if these financial fair play rules will kick in? Only Arsenal fans seem to focus on them really. UEFA are never goign to expell clubs of Barcelonas, Real Madrids, Manchester Uniteds stature of the finances they hold far to much power in the football world so dont be relying on that one bit to tip the balance of power back towards the shrewdness of Wenger.

Also as regards your last point, likewise could all of you who admit that things arent going right with the club or manager but are to afraid to make changes please put AFRAID TO FACE INTO THE UNKNOWN as your sig instead of telling us after every point dropped.

Arsenal F.C is more than one man.

Dercola wrote: »
    I don't for one second believe that wenger should go. And I've gotten the impression since the start of the season that he is genuinely trying to change things at the club.. I do believe his hands are tied when it comes to the transfer side of things. For example, I feel that theirs no way in hell, he'll be allowed buy a winger until Arshavin or Walcott are gone. Same story up top with Chamakh.

But god forbid, if he was to leave at the end of the season.. The only manager I can see doing his job is David Moyes :o The man has done wonders at Everton with an absolute pittance to spend, and he has a great eye for a bargain. He'd suit our current board down to the ground... Even if not at Arsenal, he does deserve a chance at a bigger club..

This again fall on Wenger and his scouts, Arshavin, Chamakh and Walcott were all his signings, Ok maybe you could say Walcott was bought on potential that hes failed to live up to miserably but Arshavin and Chamakh were not brought in on potential these are players he scouted he watched and he decided were good enough for Arsenal F.C and for whatever reason he has failed to get the best out of them. All of them are 3 of the wrost players at Arsenal for looking like they couldnt give a toss whether they win or loose games. Why is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

This again fall on Wenger and his scouts, Arshavin, Chamakh and Walcott were all his signings,

I wouldn't criticise Wenger for buying Arshavin... I would though criticise him for continuing to play him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

When should he go?

Keep the faith!!

Jaysus, that's a great post. Really like the line of argument.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Really? I always hate when Geoff writes the blog. He's a very knee-jerky and angry kinda guy. Which is fine for a fan or even someone commenting on a message board. But I prefer my bloggers to have well thought out arguments. Comparing actions in the stadium to Syria :confused: On the other hand I do like when Pedro writes. Often critical of Wenger but points are well made.

Really? I always hate when Geoff writes the blog. He's a very knee-jerky and angry kinda guy. Which is fine for a fan or even someone commenting on a message board. But I prefer my bloggers to have well thought out arguments. Comparing actions in the stadium to Syria :confused: On the other hand I do like when Pedro writes. Often critical of Wenger but points are well made.

Yeh ill give you that I thought the comment on Syria was a bit much alright myself.

But his points at the end did make a lot of sense in regards Wengers 40+ million in salary since we last won a trophy, and poor signings. Also the why was park even signed to have barely been given a chance.

He played a lot of last Sunday's game there and even set up the goal from that area. Most players are two-footed now and if they are not they should not be playing. I think he should have been switched with Verm after the first goal which was Verm's fault as he was struggling.

• Advertisement

"Do you think Arshavin could've done better on the goal?"

"You will have to ask him that"

"In your opinion, do you think he should've done better?"

"I don't want to talk about that"

Pffffffftttttttttttt
    Wenger is a nutjob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

For me the sentence in bold can sum up your whole post really, so maybe his best years are behind him and we do appear to be falling further and further behind the pack slowly but steadily but instead of taking the bull by the horns and make the neccessary changes were going to play it safe and be happy with the mediocrity that were seeing right now because who knows if we change things it might get worse it might get better but we dont know so well stick to whats half working.

I get what you're saying but you're missing my point slightly. I'm not happy with this season's mediocrity.

Whatever the club does from this point onwards is a gamble. The question, as I see it, is...

Is Wenger the best person we can employ to try and regain our competitive status at the top of the league?

This season has been his worst ever, no doubt, but there have been a lot of mitigating factors(many created by himself and the clubs policy over the last 5 years) impacting on on-field performances.

If he doesn't turn it around this year then do people think there's a chance he can turn it around next year? As said, I think that with a solid preseason, a couple of decent signings and some luck with injuries, we could be seriously competitive again under Wenger.

So it's not the current form vrs the unknown, I'm not settling for that. It's where you think Wenger can go with this team vrs the unknown. If you thought that we'd never improve on the last couple of fixtures, then of course he'd have to go.
    Your second question for me Moyes would be ideal, also Ancelotti has recently admitted he was doing his best to hold out for the Arsenal or Spurs job if they became available. A lot of people seem to think Arsenal would have trouble attracting manager your wrong there plenty of top class managers out there who would gladly take the position. Plus you dont need to have EPL credentials to get the job did Ferguson when he took over United, did Mourinho when he took over Chelsea, did Benitez when he took over Liverpool so that shouldnt be a deciding factor at all.

Mourhino and Fergie are two of the best three managers ever to work in the premiership. The chances of us finding the fourth are extremly slim.

As said, Bentiez never won the premiership and after a few years and a lot of money went through exactly what Wenger is going through now.

Ancelotti could be interesting, it woudl be moyes first time at a big club just like Hodgson, or Hughes.
    Also do we honestly know if these financial fair play rules will kick in? Only Arsenal fans seem to focus on them really. UEFA are never goign to expell clubs of Barcelonas, Real Madrids, Manchester Uniteds stature of the finances they hold far to much power in the football world so dont be relying on that one bit to tip the balance of power back towards the shrewdness of Wenger.

Good point, I figure money talks too and that the rules will never kick in to the extent we hope they will. I do think though that when Wenger goes, which won't be too far away in any case, it's vital that he leaves behind a solid club with champions league qualification assured and a profile good enough to attract the best players and management. I believe that he can get the club to that position again.

Another way to put it is that Arsenal have been a car crash for the last couple of seasons. Lose champions league and take Wenger out and it'll turn into a train wreck - Song, Verm, Sagna, Chez, Kos, RVP, Wilshire - all Wenger players, how interested would they be in Arsenal without him - how well would they play under a diffferent manager. We all know how few of Wenger's players replicate their levels after him, do we want risk that happening to the whole team when we're teetering on the brink of becoming a newcastle or fulham?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

Its really dog eat dog in here at moment which is a real shame.

As frustrated as I am with the club I do not think Wenger is main the problem. In fact I still think he is an incredible manager. Everyone is looking purely at results/trophies as opposed to what resources other clubs put in versus what they are getting in return for those resources.

There are a large number of players underperforming/injured and as good a prospect as Ramsey is he has not been an adequate replacement for Fabregas since he was sold. Losing Fabregas was huge. Ramsey is not scoring and although has a very high work rate his assist rate is alarmingly unspectacular. Walcott has more than him! That position is the fulcrum of the team. Its just not happening for him this season. He could have done with another season as an understudy after his injury if truth be told.

I don't predict that Wenger will leave at the end of the season as I still think the club can get 4th place. Chelsea are no great shakes themselves and they still have to come to the Emirates. Wenger has to turn it around soon though. Not getting 4th will be as he said a disaster.

The squad really has to rejigged during the summer and a few (2 or 3) top quality players are needed. Arshavin, Walcott, Djourou, Squillachi, Almunia, Chamakh & Bendtner all need to be sold and the money reinvested along with some additional capital. Of those Walcott is the one that I believe will stay but I can live with that if he has proper competition for his place.

The direction of the club has been to play it safe with money. Perhaps its too safe and fans are starting to express this en mass. I just hope those running the club wake up to this.

EDIT: People will probably point to Spurs on the resources argument but one swallow does not a summer make. Also they will be raided soon enough and the likes of Bale and Modric will move on. The have no hope of holding onto Adebayor either due to his wages. They are having an exceptional season and will probably still end it trophyless.

I get what you're saying but you're missing my point slightly. I'm not happy with this season's mediocrity.

Whatever the club does from this point onwards is a gamble. The question, as I see it, is...

Is Wenger the best person we can employ to try and regain our competitive status at the top of the league?

This season has been his worst ever, no doubt, but there have been a lot of mitigating factors(many created by himself and the clubs policy over the last 5 years) impacting on on-field performances.

If he doesn't turn it around this year then do people think there's a chance he can turn it around next year? As said, I think that with a solid preseason, a couple of decent signings and some luck with injuries, we could be seriously competitive again under Wenger.

So it's not the current form vrs the unknown, I'm not settling for that. It's where you think Wenger can go with this team vrs the unknown. If you thought that we'd never improve on the last couple of fixtures, then of course he'd have to go.

Yeh I hear ya I think we can improve on the last couple of fixtures alright but can we improve on the last number of seasons I highly doubt it sadly.

As for next season as I said Id love to believe come the summer we would see the likes of Arshavin, Diaby, Walcott, Gibbs, Squillaci and Almunia move on to bring in funds for new players and release funds for wages with a good few players coming in but does anyone think that Wenger or the board will make this happen? Sadly again I dont think it will hes to set in his ways and to stubborn to admit fault to such an extent. Now id be delighted come the summer we had qualified for champions league and Wenger opened the transfer window in a flurry of activity but does anyone hoenstly think that will happen?

Mourhino and Fergie are two of the best three managers ever to work in the premiership. The chances of us finding the fourth are extremly slim.

As said, Bentiez never won the premiership and after a few years and a lot of money went through exactly what Wenger is going through now.

Ancelotti could be interesting, it woudl be moyes first time at a big club just like Hodgson, or Hughes.

Yeh true it would be Moyes first time at a big club but every manager worth his salt had to be given his chance at some stage to make that impact just like Wenger was at Arsenal. Plus I think with Arsenal high profile and the wages there willing to pay there manager theres not many managers that would turn us down, so really dont think we would have a problem there.

Good point, I figure money talks too and that the rules will never kick in to the extent we hope they will. I do think though that when Wenger goes, which won't be too far away in any case, it's vital that he leaves behind a solid club with champions league qualification assured and a profile good enough to attract the best players and management. I believe that he can get the club to that position again.

Another way to put it is that Arsenal have been a car crash for the last couple of seasons. Lose champions league and take Wenger out and it'll turn into a train wreck - Song, Verm, Sagna, Chez, Kos, RVP, Wilshire - all Wenger players, how interested would they be in Arsenal without him - how well would they play under a diffferent manager. We all know how few of Wenger's players replicate their levels after him, do we want risk that happening to the whole team when we're teetering on the brink of becoming a newcastle or fulham?

Yes we do know very few of Wengers players replicate there form after hes decided to let them go but I think that more down to him having a knack to know when players are on the wane which is to his credit. Weve seen many a club change managers and players levels havent dropped in fact in a lot of cases there levels raise because there taking out of there comfort zone and have to prove themselves to a new manager and players of the quality you mentioned arent going to drop that much there all professionals a change of manager wont make them all terrible over night I think under Wenger thing have just become stale he seems to have ran out of ideas in terms of style of play, tactics and motivating the players . I dont think Arsenal wil ever become a Fulham or Newcastle to be honest Arsenal have always been a top club in England before Wenger and will continue to do so after him, especially due to Wenger helping build to good foundations of club in place I do respect the man and he will always be an Arsenal legend but theres only so long one man can live on past glorys and at this stage hes starting to damage his own legacy at the club.

p.s I do think you make some good points in fairness aswell :o.

Van Persie on Facebook today:

"I WAS NOT HAVING A GO AT THE BOSS ON SUNDAY

LET me start by putting the record straight.
    I was not having a go at the boss on Sunday. I was just sad to see Alex leave the pitch as he just gave the assist for our only goal.

I was not questioning his judgment. I know it's not my place to challenge what Arsene Wenger does. He is the boss, he makes the decisions and that's it, end of story. I have worked with the boss long enough to know there's always a good reason behind his decisions, and there was again on Sunday. When Arsene makes a decision, it is based on a lot of information that everyone else might not know about and he will never betray. I admire him so much for that.

As he said after the game, he doesn't have to explain his substitutions to anyone. He was right to remind everyone that he has been in the job 30 years and made 50,000 substitutions, why on earth should he have to justify each and every one of them?

He has all the information, he knows when a player is carrying a small injury, or has been ill, or is tiring. Arsene's remarkable success in the game is proof enough that his decisions are made from knowledge and experience. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain had a calf injury. We did not know that but the boss did and brought Andrey Arshavin on.

I have a lot of respect and admiration for Arsene Wenger. He is one of the best football coaches in the world, with a brilliant record of success here at Arsenal. I wouldn't be here or the player I am without him. The manager and I are fine and my relationship with the club is good. I don't want anyone misunderstanding the situation here for a moment.There is no problem, there is no conflict and there is no controversy. The boss knows that, I know that, the players all know that. But it's important the Arsenal fans know that and that people in the game know that.

We are all committed to doing the very best we can to bring success to The Emirates. We are not giving up on a top-four finish, no way. Losing to Manchester United was a setback, but it is not a knockout blow. The way this season is going I think it's pretty safe to say there will be a lot more surprises before the Premier League season is over. There's plenty of games still left, we have recovered from reverses like this before and we will win again. So anybody writing us off is making a mistake.This could still be a good season for us. We have the FA Cup to look forward to and the Champions League. We will all be giving 100 per cent to make sure we bring one of those trophies home, hopefully both of them.
    Let's all stick together and fight."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

While I do agree and have been one of his biggest critics in recent years do you believe sacking him mid season would be the thing to do? I do think he deserves a bit more respect than that.

Sacking him mid season is not the way to go.
    But he needs to go at end of season no matter if the team gets into top 4 (which is highly unlikely IMHO)
    The only thing that could save him is winning CL.
    He and the team he has built is going nowhere but backwards.
    nuxxx wrote: »
    Imo if Arsenal replaced the handful of players in the Arshavin Walcott Chamack Squillaci bracket and replaced them with (very) good players they'd be fine. Add to that a solid LB they'd be challenging for the title next year.

We would not even need to replace some of them with the best players, but with decent players who would actually give their best.
    As it is there are players who have big reputations who are doing shag all.

I think it has gotten too late, if he had done something a couple of years ago the title was there for the taking last year.
    City hadn't arrived, united were on downward curve and Chelsea were in self destruct mode.
    Now City have upped the anti and Arsenal are too far back.
    nuxxx wrote: »
    If Wenger doesn't do a thing I see RVP gone at the end of the season, the way he looked into the empty seats are the end of the United game confirmed this for me

Not alone RVP. I can see a couple of others wanting out once they have solidified their reputations.

When should he go?

At end of season, should have gone last season after collapse and transfer shambles.
    He should have moved gracefully rather than probably now face the wrath of the fans.

Some say Moyes, which would be probably great for the boards conservative spending, but I am not sure about him.

Ancelotti could be a front runner although he might find the move from a cheque book waving club to Arsenal different.
    I guess having had to work for Berlusconi for so long means the guy can work with anyone. :rolleyes:

Hiddink has a different ability which might be really needed and that is to turn around struggling mediocre sides.

I reckon Villas Boas might be unemployed next year and I think that guy has huge potential even if he is having trouble with Chelski.

Then there is ex players and I think Bergkamp or Bould might be interesting choices.

Wenger supposedly favours Stojkovic but I think the last thing that is needed is someone who might be Wenger's favourite.
    His future influence needs to be curbed otherwise the new manager could be figurehead carrying out Wengers plans.

At one stage I would have reckoned Deschamps would have managed in England, but I don't think the Arsenal board would go for someone with supposed history of falling out with club management.

Unlike in the case of players for certain positions, you can't limit yourself to who HAS already been successful in PL.

I still think Villas Boas has something about him.
    But I do think he should never have made that move to Chelsea.
    After 20 years and 15 managers, it finally looks like Tottenham are going to finish higher in the league than us. 20 years of fluctuations, searching for managers, false dawns and money spent. I was reading earlier about how bad a reflection it supposedly is on Arsenal that their wages are so much lower than ours. 20 years! 20 years of trying and it's all clicked over the last two seasons when they found a great manager, spend a couple of hundred million and one of their half-decent squad players suddenly turned into a genius. I don't begrudge Spurs this and I realise that they're not just about finishing above Arsenal, but you can't ignore that's it's taken them decades of trying different combinations of managers and players until they've now mounted something resembling a title challenge. Why will this be so much easier for Arsenal when we ditch Wenger? Incidentally, I'm also curious to see what happens when one or two of Spurs' star players move on and Redknapp takes the England job.

Well maybe Redknapp would move across. :D
    After all he does have habit of jumping ship to closest enemies. :rolleyes:
    I just wanted to get the point across to Arsenal fans that they need to be careful what they wish for. Maybe Arsne does have his best years behind him but if it's him or the unknown then it has to be him.

It is not a maybe anymore.
    It is a fact and things have been getting pretty stale for a while now.
    Everything has to come to an end sometime, even fergies rein in united will someday end.
    No one man is bigger than the club, apart form rare instances like with Forest.
    Arsenal were successful before Wenger and they will be again.
    Fearing change is normal, but it must not become so paralysing that necessary change doesn't happen.

It will be the fans that move Wenger not the board.
    With a settled side that's lucky in terms of injuries and a preseason that doesn't involve having the guts ripped out of the team for once, you all know that he can put us back near the top.

But if things keep going the way they are, RVP will leave, then the likes of Verm, Wilshire, Kos, Szczesny, Oxo, etc.
    Dercola wrote: »
    I don't for one second believe that wenger should go. And I've gotten the impression since the start of the season that he is genuinely trying to change things at the club.. I do believe his hands are tied when it comes to the transfer side of things. ...
    But god forbid, if he was to leave at the end of the season..

His hands may be tied with transfers, but what is your answer to continually not being able to motivate the players or making tactical blunders like taking off one of your best players for one of your worse ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

loudmouth celebrity gooner piers morgan posted this (probably cos he is mentioned in it) on twitter. says its what all arsenal fans should be debating. we are and have been for a long time

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1034266-arsenal-is-it-finally-time-for-arsene-wenger-to-go

Arsenal.com's Monday poll asks who should we play at RB against Villa. 60% + say Yennaris.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Van Persie on Facebook today:

"I WAS NOT HAVING A GO AT THE BOSS ON SUNDAY

LET me start by putting the record straight.
    I was not having a go at the boss on Sunday. I was just sad to see Alex leave the pitch as he just gave the assist for our only goal.

I was not questioning his judgment. I know it's not my place to challenge what Arsene Wenger does. He is the boss, he makes the decisions and that's it, end of story. I have worked with the boss long enough to know there's always a good reason behind his decisions, and there was again on Sunday. When Arsene makes a decision, it is based on a lot of information that everyone else might not know about and he will never betray. I admire him so much for that.

As he said after the game, he doesn't have to explain his substitutions to anyone. He was right to remind everyone that he has been in the job 30 years and made 50,000 substitutions, why on earth should he have to justify each and every one of them?

He has all the information, he knows when a player is carrying a small injury, or has been ill, or is tiring. Arsene's remarkable success in the game is proof enough that his decisions are made from knowledge and experience. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain had a calf injury. We did not know that but the boss did and brought Andrey Arshavin on.

I have a lot of respect and admiration for Arsene Wenger. He is one of the best football coaches in the world, with a brilliant record of success here at Arsenal. I wouldn't be here or the player I am without him. The manager and I are fine and my relationship with the club is good. I don't want anyone misunderstanding the situation here for a moment.There is no problem, there is no conflict and there is no controversy. The boss knows that, I know that, the players all know that. But it's important the Arsenal fans know that and that people in the game know that.

We are all committed to doing the very best we can to bring success to The Emirates. We are not giving up on a top-four finish, no way. Losing to Manchester United was a setback, but it is not a knockout blow. The way this season is going I think it's pretty safe to say there will be a lot more surprises before the Premier League season is over. There's plenty of games still left, we have recovered from reverses like this before and we will win again. So anybody writing us off is making a mistake.This could still be a good season for us. We have the FA Cup to look forward to and the Champions League. We will all be giving 100 per cent to make sure we bring one of those trophies home, hopefully both of them.
    Let's all stick together and fight."

This statement is pathetic.

First of all, Van Persie cannot change what happened we all seen what he did. To deny it even happened typical of what this club is now about spin spin spin. I have no doubt Van Persie was forced into this wishy washy statement behind closed doors.

Secondly, we now know Wenger is a liar by claiming Chamberlain was injured since he himself denied it, see the following link. If he has a supposed calf injury, then why has there been no news, its clear he has none. It's gutless by Wenger, he won't admit the player wasn't injured and he made a mistake in judgement.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/888262-alex-oxlade-chamberlain-confusion-grows-after-conflicting-injury-reports

I have no problem at all with Van Persie at all, or what he done in fact I agree with it, but its the fact the fans are continually lied to and treated like dirt the last few years. Are we really meant to believe that rubbish statement I wouldnt be surprised if it was prepared by the clubs PR team.

Actions speak louder than words, if he trusts Wenger so much then sign a new contract, or else shut up with the lies and spin.

It's funny the last few years the front page of Arsenal.com was always mostly about Wenger.
    Wenger this, Wenger that, mentioned more times than anyone else.

No other club does that, not even Man U with Fergie.

• Advertisement

RVP 11 wrote: »
    It's funny the last few years the front page of Arsenal.com was always mostly about Wenger.
    Wenger this, Wenger that, mentioned more times than anyone else.

No other club does that, not even Man U with Fergie.

Van Persie's statement wasn't posted on arsenal website. He released it himself in the Sun and on his facebook page. And only one of 18 articles on the front page of arsenal.com currently is directly related to Arsene. Honestly you guys will find anything to try and complain about sometimes. Especially when you could just concentrate on legitimate grievances with the team and manager.

Van Persie's statement wasn't posted on arsenal website. He released it himself in the Sun and on his facebook page. And only one of 18 articles on the front page of arsenal.com currently is directly related to Arsene. Honestly you guys will find anything to try and complain about sometimes. Especially when you could just concentrate on legitimate grievances with the team and manager.

Maybe it was before your time.
    But i did say over the last few years not weeks kid.

RVP 11 wrote: »

Maybe it was before your time.
    But i did say over the last few years not weeks kid.

Very mature response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

DB10 wrote: »
    This statement is pathetic.

First of all, Van Persie cannot change what happened we all seen what he did. To deny it even happened typical of what this club is now about spin spin spin. I have no doubt Van Persie was forced into this wishy washy statement behind closed doors.

Secondly, we now know Wenger is a liar by claiming Chamberlain was injured since he himself denied it, see the following link. If he has a supposed calf injury, then why has there been no news, its clear he has none. It's gutless by Wenger, he won't admit the player wasn't injured and he made a mistake in judgement.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/888262-alex-oxlade-chamberlain-confusion-grows-after-conflicting-injury-reports

I have no problem at all with Van Persie at all, or what he done in fact I agree with it, but its the fact the fans are continually lied to and treated like dirt the last few years. Are we really meant to believe that rubbish statement I wouldnt be surprised if it was prepared by the clubs PR team.

Actions speak louder than words, if he trusts Wenger so much then sign a new contract, or else shut up with the lies and spin.
    Well said.

We all seen his reaction. He was disgusted Arshavin was coming on and replacing a player who is better than him at the moment. And Wenger f*cked up so badly, he is now having to use lies and good PR to spin it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Hopefully any good that comes from this is that oxo gets to keep his place in the team. Wenger must know there'll be some backlash if he doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Noo wrote: »
    Hopefully any good that comes from this is that oxo gets to keep his place in the team. Wenger must know there'll be some backlash if he doesn't.

I agree that AOC should get more time in our starting XI, but I can't see how it would be a good thing for a manager to pick his team based on avoiding a backlash. Any manager must always be able to pick the team he wants to pick.

This paragraph isn't aimed at you Noo, but I'm surprised and disappointed that some fans are so dismissive of Wengers explanations about the substitution and of RVP's facebook post. Some people just have their minds made up, and refuse to be open minded and will just insist on interpreting everything that comes out in a negative and cynical manner. (Before anyone quotes this paragraph out of context- please bear in mind that I haven't expressed opinions either way about Wenger's substitution or RVP's post. All I'm saying is that people need to be open minded on some things.)

jordainius wrote: »
    I agree that AOC should get more time in our starting XI, but I can't see how it would be a good thing for a manager to pick his team based on avoiding a backlash. Any manager must always be able to pick the team he wants to pick.

This paragraph isn't aimed at you Noo, but I'm surprised and disappointed that some fans are so dismissive of Wengers explanations about the substitution and of RVP's facebook post. Some people just have their minds made up, and refuse to be open minded and will just insist on interpreting everything that comes out in a negative and cynical manner.

I think the whole way transfers have gone over the last few years has resulted in more cynical fans not believing the spin anymore.
    Also the facial reaction of RVP and the comment from Oxo that he wasn't injured can't be spun now into something else.
    In this case a picture told the story far better than any words.
    The rewriting of the incident now looks pathetic and something akin to what one gets in politics or from Sadam Husain's Iraqi ministry for information.

jmayo wrote: »
    I think the whole way transfers have gone over the last few years has resulted in more cynical fans not believing the spin anymore.
    Also the reaction of RVP and the comment from Oxo that he wasn't injured can't be spun now into something else.
    It just looks pathetic and something akin to what one gets in politics or from Sadam Husain's Iraqi ministry for information.

I definitly believe fans have the right to be cynical and we do have an awful lot of things to rightfully be angry about. But I really think that some of the interpretations of RVP saying No at the time of Oxo's substitution is the stuff of mountains and molehills. And I believe his facebook post was genuine- it just strikes me as the type of thing he would do based on what I've seen from following him on twitter and so on.

The reaction to the substitution and the reaction to Wenger explaination which was contradicted by what AOC himself said are in the grand scheme of things very minor incidents. They would appear to be a tipping point alright, but they are only a culmination of many frustrating incidents we have had to put up with.

It's just sad to see that we are now in a position whereby no matter what anyone associated with the club says, it will just be picked apart and dismissed and criticised by an ever increasing number of fans. I remember arguing with a fellow fan in 2003 over whether Gilberto or Edu should be starting alongside Vieira, its depressing to see what Arsenal fans are forced to argue about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

The run in will be interesting to see because all going well he should have a pretty strong team available to him. I've seen some pretty remarkable things posted about Wenger on here since Sunday. He only won the league in 98 because he inherited the defence...that defence was there in 1993/1994 and 1995 when 12th place wasn't an odd position. Arsenal by that stage were viewed as a cup team nothing more.

He's transformed their style of play...won lots of competitions...this is the very first season where they're not competing at all in the league under Wenger...that's 15 years that he's made the club compete including the biggest upheaval the club has endured since WWII. We may not like Arshavin...but I remember the days of Eddie McGoldrick.

Nobody knows bar Wenger and the board what exactly is going on behind the scenes at Arsenal but I would find it strange that a man who took chances with Francis Jeffers, Reyes, Overmars and Wiltord would completely stop spending money because he's so invested in youth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I've a real suspicion if Wenger goes at the end of the season guardiola would come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

If Wenger were to leave for whatever reason, and ignoring the obvious issue the board seem to have with spending money that would make it unlikely to say the least, would anyone be opposed to Mourinho given he appears to be having problems with Madrid? He could be unemployed in the summer, or the one after.

He's far from being the most popular guy around Arsenal but he gets the job done, albeit by spending a fair bit of money. Plus, I reckon he'd love to be able to boast about bringing Arsenal to the top again and getting one over on Chelsea at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    If Wenger were to leave for whatever reason, and ignoring the obvious issue the board seem to have with spending money that would make it unlikely to say the least, would anyone be opposed to Mourinho given he appears to be having problems with Madrid? He could be unemployed in the summer, or the one after.

He's far from being the most popular guy around Arsenal but he gets the job done, albeit by spending a fair bit of money. Plus, I reckon he'd love to be able to boast about bringing Arsenal to the top again and getting one over on Chelsea at least.

Yes the Arsenal board loves spending money - Mourinho must be top of their list :D

G.K. wrote: »
    I've a real suspicion if Wenger goes at the end of the season guardiola would come in.
    greendom wrote: »
    Yes the Arsenal board loves spending money - Mourinho must be top of their list :D

I have to ask if these two guys would be like fergie was in the 80s and holding out for the united job.
    Hell even the City job might be available in the near future.

People seem to have forgotten Mourinho won two European trophies without spending much money at Porto.
    He also took an Inter team Mancini could do nothing with in Europe and made them champions ahead of the so called best team of all time.
    There is more to Mourinho than relying on a club president with a big cheque book.

Barlett wrote: »
    The run in will be interesting to see because all going well he should have a pretty strong team available to him. I've seen some pretty remarkable things posted about Wenger on here since Sunday. He only won the league in 98 because he inherited the defence...that defence was there in 1993/1994 and 1995 when 12th place wasn't an odd position. Arsenal by that stage were viewed as a cup team nothing more.
    In 1993-94 Arsenal finished 4th and 12th was most certainly an odd position. Since 1975, that is the only time we finished outside the top 10, and in the 8 seasons before 1995 and every season since, Arsenal finished outside the top 6 in only one other season.
    He's transformed their style of play...won lots of competitions...this is the very first season where they're not competing at all in the league under Wenger...that's 15 years that he's made the club compete including the biggest upheaval the club has endured since WWII. We may not like Arshavin...but I remember the days of Eddie McGoldrick.
    Our style of play has arguably been weakened, as it is very easy to exploit. Tippy tappy passing at pace with questionable end product. The style of play from 2000-2005 was by far the best, comfortable when not in possession and lethal on the counter attack. And this is not the very first season we're not competing- the 2005-06 season was as bad as this one, we scraped Champions League qualification on the last day of the season because Tottenham bottled it. In 2006-07 we were never in the title race, we were comfortable for 4th place but were always way too far behind United and Chelsea to be considered competitors. Similar story in 2008-09 when Champions league qualification was looking very shaky to the point that Wenger went and bought Arshavin.

Nobody knows bar Wenger and the board what exactly is going on behind the scenes at Arsenal but I would find it strange that a man who took chances with Francis Jeffers, Reyes, Overmars and Wiltord would completely stop spending money because he's so invested in youth.

You're right- nobody knows, you wouldn't think that though by looking at some of the things some people are saying.

Sorry for countering some of the things you said- it's good that some people like yourself aren't all doom and gloom, I welcome that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Mourinihio is a world class manager having one the CL twice with different teams so i would love him to come to the emirates.I dont know why theres so many people getting their back up over Arsene Wenger.The man has done a great job the past 15 years but i think its time for a new manager to come in.Results are what count in football and AW hasnt been delivering them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

greendom wrote: »
    Thats why I said ignoring the money issue ;)

If that was the only stumbling block I reckon they would see sense and make some funds available for him. I'm asking if people think we could get to that stage where its only a matter of money for transfer's etc that is stopping it from happening.

Barlett wrote: »

I completely agree with you his early achievment with Arsenal was truly amazing he rejuvenated the the careers of Keown and Adams and brought together some truly great teams and players in the likes of Pires, Overmars, Henry, Vieira and the likes couldnt fault him there one bit thats why he has legendary status at Arsenal the problem is its been far to long since weven seen him build a quality team. Heres hoping the run in goes well.

Thats one of the problems the board and Wenger whoever fault our transfer situation is there all covering for each other so there all part of the problem really.

I would love Mourinho I know he can be an ass but I must admit when he left Chelsea I missed him and his antics, he has a knack of getting players to work threre socks off for him and really believe in him which is one the things were lacking at the momment. His football mighnt be the most attractive but neither is Arsenals right now plus he has a proven track record.

Yeh he does like to spend money but he also has an eye for a player who can be got on the cheap take Ozil who he got for 15million how much would he improve Arsenal right now.

That if it comes down to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

If Mourinho joined Arsenal, the club would change over night from attitude and the mentality on the pitch. We would become winners in the head. The first giant leap to creating a great team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

KeithAFC wrote: »
    If Mourinho joined Arsenal, the club would change over night from attitude and the mentality on the pitch. We would become winners in the head. The first giant leap to creating a great team.

Your spot on the winning mentality is what we need badly at the club which has been missing since 2004/5 season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

There's more chance of me succeeding Wenger than Jose.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement