Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I see we were scouting javi marteniz, don't think we will get him but it looks like a DM midfielder is def a priority
    Either the manger doesn't trust Coq yet or he sees him as a box to box midfielder. Intresting to see how it pans out for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

keano_afc wrote: »
    This is the same Wenger that said you cant sell your big players and still be called a big club, and was saying up to the middle of August last year that Nasri was going nowhere. So I'd take that with a pinch of salt to be honest.

I really think (hope) he and the club learnt some valuable lessons from the last pre-season. Get things sorted quickly, don't leave things hanging till the last possible moment. Whether it was wishful thinking or procrastination that left squad in such disarray last August, I really think they won't put the club through that again. The early purchase of Podolski leaves me to believe that lessons have been learnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

greendom wrote: »
    I really think (hope) he and the club learnt some valuable lessons from the last pre-season. Get things sorted quickly, don't leave things hanging till the last possible moment. Whether it was wishful thinking or procrastination that left squad in such disarray last August, I really think they won't put the club through that again. The early purchase of Podolski leaves me to believe that lessons have been learnt.

I'm hoping Podolski is not the only player they buy. The recent defeats have shown up a number of weaknesses in the strength of the panel. We need another 2/3 players who are versatile and can slot in around midfield. I'm still not convinced about our replacement full-backs either.

I'm hoping Podolski is not the only player they buy. The recent defeats have shown up a number of weaknesses in the strength of the panel. We need another 2/3 players who are versatile and can slot in around midfield. I'm still not convinced about our replacement full-backs either.

We do need stengthening no doubt. Gilles Grimandi was at the Toulouse - Montpellier game tonight along with Dalglish. If we're in competition with the 'pool for any players I would like to think that we are a more attractive potential employer.

We do need stengthening no doubt. Gilles Grimandi was at the Toulouse - Montpellier game tonight along with Dalglish. If we're in competition with the 'pool for any players I would like to think that we are a more attractive potential employer.

Yes and it's so important to get third now too. It gives us more bargaining power if we're in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Anyone apart from giroud in that match?

My point about nasri still stands though. Last year arsenal were on the way down while city were on the way up. The idea that city must win something big for people to be moving there for any reason other than money is nonsensical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

gosplan wrote: »

Capoue & Belhanda, who got the only goal of the game after Giroud missed a peno. Can't say I know a whole lot about them though only that we've been linked to both.

gosplan wrote: »

My point about nasri still stands though. Last year arsenal were on the way down while city were on the way up. The idea that city must win something big for people to be moving there for any reason other than money is nonsensical.

A friend of mine in London has heard rumours that Wilshere's injury is not responding well to treatment and this seems to be true too with Wenger's statement that Wilshere might not be ready for the start of next season either.
    Lets hope we have replacements ready so we don't stutter at the start again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

A few rumours from Rennes' local paper Ouest saying M'Vila is on the brink of signing for ye. £16-20 million being the reported bid. In competition with a lot of Europes big guns for his signing as well. As with all rumours though, pinch of salt...

• Advertisement

A friend of mine in London has heard rumours that Wilshere's injury is not responding well to treatment and this seems to be true too with Wenger's statement that Wilshere might not be ready for the start of next season either.
    Lets hope we have replacements ready so we don't stutter at the start again.

Seriously ? That is bad news - beginning to wonder if he'll ever play again :(

article here...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17878767

It wouldn't just be Wenger telling Pearce to feck off would it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Just been to the Liverpool thread. Expected the guys to be talking about the Norwich game today. Nope discussing Jaffa Cakes, Jacobs & McVities. Ha ha made me laugh :D

Anyways back to business...come on Arsenal! Need to win today.

Decent point

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Decent point

I'm trying to look at it like that.
    Could have been worse, could have came home with nothing and Newcastle getting 3 points, big game against Norwich now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Redzer7 wrote: »
    I'm trying to look at it like that.
    Could have been worse, could have came home with nothing and Newcastle getting 3 points, big game against Norwich now!

Yep, we have a tiny bit of light between ourselves and newcastle/spurs at the minute with that draw. Not too bad going into the last two games.

Still though, if this was the middle of the season and we played like we did in the second half (only saw that) I would not be happy at all. We've been very flat lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

So what is required now if some one can lay it out..

Don't want to be going to West Brom on the last day needing to win as they are a plucky side too and we seem out on our feet now and perhaps can only manage one win at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Hopefully Man City will win on Monday so they'll have to beat Newcastle to win the title.

Team is pretty lackluster at the moment. At least RVP scored from open play.

KeithAFC wrote: »

Don't want to be going to West Brom on the last day needing to win as they are a plucky side too and we seem out on our feet now and perhaps can only manage one win at home.

We are seven points ahead of Spurs at the minute but they have two games in hand. Newcastle have a game in hand and are four points behind us. Chelsea have two games in hand and are eight points behind us.

So I reckon to secure third a home win and an away draw should do it. Or win both games!

I can't see spurs winning four straight games. Newcastle and Chelsea have to face each other so someone is going to lose points there.

Can the team finish in the top if we beat Norwich if results go our way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Stoke was our toughest. Norwich and West Brom are comfortably mid table and have nothing to play for either way. Wouldnt expect either side to be all that interested unless we give them loads of chances. Cant see either side putting themselves out.

Chelsea manwhile still have to play Liverpool and Newcastle (plus FA Cup and Champions League), while Newcastle have to play Chelsea and City (and Everton). Spurs have a nice run in but with there recent form that doesnt mean anything. I reckon we're in a great position to wrap up third place.

Arsenal 66(72)
    Newcastle 62(71)
    Tottenham 59(71)
    Chelsea 58(70)

Brackets is the max each side can have. Win our two games and we finish third regardless of what happens elsewhere.

HazDanz wrote: »
    We are seven points ahead of Spurs at the minute but they have two games in hand. Newcastle have a game in hand and are four points behind us. Chelsea have two games in hand and are eight points behind us.

So I reckon to secure third a home win and an away draw should do it. Or win both games!

I can't see spurs winning four straight games. Newcastle and Chelsea have to face each other so someone is going to lose points there.
    Do we really want to be going to West brom on the final day having to get something..

• Advertisement

Do we really want to be going to West brom on the final day having to get something..

If spurs lose tomorrow or midweek and newcastle lose to city next sunday we have it in the bag with a win at home next week. I think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

We have to get something from that match now, not a choice.

Seriously ? That is bad news - beginning to wonder if he'll ever play again :(

article here...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17878767

It wouldn't just be Wenger telling Pearce to feck off would it ?

Id say there is alot of truth in that alright. Pearce is a total and utter clown so i think Wenger is protecting Wilshere if anything.

Given the choice id rather have Wilshere back in October than have him rushed back for the Olympics just to please that useless fool. How in god's name Pearce is landing all these jobs within the FA despite being a monumental failure himself when he managed Manchester City.

cson wrote: »
    We have to get something from that match now, not a choice.
    Do we? Surely some of the others can drop points in one more game and that will be it?

3rd is still in our own hands but there is no doubt we are under fierce pressure to win these two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Do we? Surely some of the others can drop points in one more game and that will be it?

you'll have a better idea on wednesday night when all the teams have played 36 games but at the minute it looks as if 6 points are needed

but if chelsea & newcastle draw with each other & spurs lose 1 over the next 2 games a win against norwich would guarantee third

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I see we were scouting javi marteniz, don't think we will get him but it looks like a DM midfielder is def a priority
    Either the manger doesn't trust Coq yet or he sees him as a box to box midfielder. Intresting to see how it pans out for him
    aaronh007 wrote: »
    A few rumours from Rennes' local paper Ouest saying M'Vila is on the brink of signing for ye. £16-20 million being the reported bid. In competition with a lot of Europes big guns for his signing as well. As with all rumours though, pinch of salt...

I was saying arsenal needed a proper DM looks like were going to sign one, seem though arsenal being arsenal they may go for martinez as he's going to be the cheaper option

Did we win a game without Arteta ? I can't seem to remember.

Nope. Although we should beat Norwich at home. The season for them is finished and they just lost 3-0 at home to Liverpool. If we must win our final 2 games, then some one in the midfield needs to step it up.

Not in the league but we beat Milan 3 - 0 without him

• Advertisement

Nope. Although we should beat Norwich at home. The season for them is finished and they just lost 3-0 at home to Liverpool. If we must win our final 2 games, then some one in the midfield needs to step it up.

I wouldn't put any money on us winning either game. We are a poor side of late and lack leadership. It's bad when a central defender is nearly always man-of-the-match for us. The killer instinct seems to have deserted us. We should beat these teams but our cracks are easy to see. Hope we shore-up during the summer.

Arsene's post match comments - compare those with the insults he was receiving from Stoke fans today

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-we-showed-great-battling-qualities-

I wouldn't put any money on us winning either game. We are a poor side of late and lack leadership. It's bad when a central defender is nearly always man-of-the-match for us. The killer instinct seems to have deserted us. We should beat these teams but our cracks are easy to see. Hope we shore-up during the summer.
    If we don't beat Norwich at home, we don't deserve CL football. We are good enough to win both games. Just a matter of going out and doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

We've definitely won in the league without Arteta.

Arsene's post match comments - compare those with the insults he was receiving from Stoke fans today

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-we-showed-great-battling-qualities-

To be fair, Ramsay deliberately lunged at Shawcross' studs there two years ago and had the cheek to expect an apology and a get well soon message from Shawcross....the victim in all of this as he lay in hospital afterwards ;)

The 2 muppets on Premier League soccer saturday playing it down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I dont think we have to be honest. On today, I suppose a point up there is a decent enough result. As has been said if we cant beat Norwich and West Brom we dont deserve to be in the CL.

Wilshere is a worry. That his injury is still not responding to treatment, nearly a year later, is definitely cause for concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I don't think anyone needs to defend Ramsey today.
    Idiotic reaction by fans to him.

+1

i think the big thing has been the goals have dried up not playing down Arteta's importance or anything. Realistically we cant expect RVP to score every week and other then him we have Walcott (now injured who is hit and miss) Chamakh and Park. Even the 'greatest player in the world' up in Wearside would be a better option then the two at this minute. Nevermind sure. Next season Park will come flying out of the blocks in typical second season syndrome style and wow us all with his Cisse//Djemba Ba/Jelavic style performances.

amiable wrote: »
    I don't think anyone needs to defend Ramsey today.
    Idiotic reaction by fans to him.

A Bunch of muppets lauding their anti-football team having orgasms about Delaps throw ins (though i must admit the speed and trajectory he launches them at is unbelievably impressive).

• Advertisement

A Bunch of muppets lauding their anti-football team having orgasms about Delaps throw ins (though i must admit the speed and trajectory he launches them at is unbelievably impressive).

Forget their style of play. That's their business and they are entitled to play how they like within the rules.
    I remember very well Arsenal playing a very negative style of football for years.
    The thing that can't be accepted is booing a player that had the audacity to have his leg broken. I mean how dare Ramsey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

He should play netball then.

Forget their style of play. That's their business and they are entitled to play how they like within the rules.
    I remember very well Arsenal playing a very negative style of football for years.
    The thing that can't be accepted is booing a player that had the audacity to have his leg broken. I mean how dare Ramsey

I can understand certain clubs resorting to puke football the way the game is so financially unbalanced and defined by results but there is almost a sense of pride in this crap in English football
    My ears were ringing with the media's 'Big Sam for England' campaign for years....unfortunately for the benefit of my own amusement he never got the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

There's anti-football and then there's the crap that Stoke serve up. Its not anything resembling football. Even when we were negative and defensive in the early 90's we still had the likes of Wright, Merson and Limpar who at least made it bearable. Who have they got? Dean Whitehead, a clogger who somehow stayed on the pitch today. They're an embarrassment to football and have no place in the top flight.

We haven't won a game where he hasn't started. The only crumb of consolation I can find is that we beat Liverpool in the last minute when he left the field injured at the beginning of the second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

The day that club and their disgusting fans get relegated can't come soon enough.

At least Newcastle lost. The race for third place is going to the last day of the season in my opinion, a shame really, dropped 8 points in our last 4 games, third place should have been sewn up by now.

On the plus side, van Persie scored from open play at long last- he hadn't done that since March the 12th...

• Advertisement

I don't generally like the Mail but more headlines like this and i could change my mind - 2 crackers there!!

http://twitpic.com/9ew6mt

keano_afc wrote: »
    There's anti-football and then there's the crap that Stoke serve up. Its not anything resembling football. Even when we were negative and defensive in the early 90's we still had the likes of Wright, Merson and Limpar who at least made it bearable. Who have they got? Dean Whitehead, a clogger who somehow stayed on the pitch today. They're an embarrassment to football and have no place in the top flight.

Which probably makes it even more sad how negative the football was that Arsenal played.
    It was more than just the early 90's to be fair.

On Stoke as long as they play within the rules I don't see the problem.
    I can see why Arsenal fans don't like Stoke though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

They don't though. They are so successful because they blur the lines the whole time. It drives me mad how often they go through the opposition to win the ball, but the refs dont seem willing to tackle it head on because it would result in a deluge of sendings off due to persistent and professional fouling. And the media wont take them on because they are the 'plucky' english success story.

Nevin was the first analyst I have seen actually pick up on how stoke foul the keeper on nearly every long throw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I can see why Arsenal fans don't like Stoke though.

I don't dislike Stoke.They are as irrelevant as Spurs.It's their fans I don't like.All f*cking 9 of them.They completely disprove the theory of evolution.So it's not just me that doesn't like them.Science doesn't either.Pricks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement