Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Paddy's day outside of Ireland - where to go???

Options
  • 16-01-2012 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Myself and a few friends are considering celebrating St Paddy's day this year somewhere outside of Ireland. Preferably somewhere in Europe.

Just wondering if anyone here has done it before and could recommend a city or fill me in on their experience.

We're in our twenty's and like a good party but also would like somewhere with a bit of culture and sights to see.

The likes of NYC or Boston will more than likely be out of our budget range hence preferably somewhere in Europe.

cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭finbarrk

London for the big game. Should be some weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Monsserat, A Carribian Island celebrates it there, always dreamed of going there for St.Patricks day.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QHYFXDGf4Y
    Above is a link of a TG4 documentry on it.
    Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭lc180

yeah i was thinking about the match in London, could be great craic.might be tricky getting tickets for it though!

CHICAGO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I've been to Vienna on Patrick day before. Great craic in the pubs and there was an Irish tent in a park serving guinness and jameson. Twas great. Loads of culture there also. Great pubs, museums and food. Would recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭lc180

Unfortunately Chicago and the Carribian Island is way out of my budget!

Vienna is somewhere I've always wanted to go actually. Not sure if the fellas would fancy it. Is it expensive food & drink wise?

Cheers for the suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Go to Valencia.

Paddy's Day is always in or around the Falles festival there so it'd be a two-in-one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 427 ✭✭GKidd

Malta,

€1.50 pints and €100 return flights!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

Munich even has it's own St Patrick's Day Parade (athough AFAIK it's on the 11.03 this year)

Boston

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Travels.ie

Twickenham for the big match as mentioned by previous posters with a detour to Cheltenham to take in the Gold Cup on the Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,189 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Boston

Not that good to be honest, the parade is the Sunday before or after depending on when it falls and all the pubs in South Boston (where the parade is) have queues out the door, $20 cover charges, no taxi's to be had.

I know it's out of you budget but if I was going to the US I would try Savannah, Georgia, it's supposed to have a great Paddy's Day festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭finbarrk

NY is lively. Especially if you are single and an Irish accent!

Advertisement