Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding water to meths

Options
  • 16-01-2012 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I bought one of those army surplus trangias read on line recently that if you add 10% water to your meths it will burn more cleanly is this true?
    i.e. 10ml water + 90ml meths = 100ml of cleaner burning methylated spirit.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Yep it's true. Stops the pots going black or sooty.
    We use to just spit into it, that roughly equated to 10% :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

lol thanks sparrowcar !:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I add 10% water anyway. Seems to help alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

how do you measure it out ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

By eye in my case :)
    I think the bottle that came with my Swedish army kit holds 100ml. I just guess at 10ml and fill it up before leaving the house.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

hmm must try this, pots going black last time i used my Trangia was annoying when it came to cleaning them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I heard from someone a while back (and am willing to be corrected) but leaving the build up of carbon can make the pots slightly more efficient as the carbon will absorb and store a certain amount of heat which would otherwise escape. How true it is I'm not sure but it does sound like it makes sense, either way since it's on the outside of the pot it's not going to affect the food so TBH I wouldn't be worried about a bit of carbon on the pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Gillo wrote: »
    I heard from someone a while back (and am willing to be corrected) but leaving the build up of carbon can make the pots slightly more efficient as the carbon will absorb and store a certain amount of heat which would otherwise escape. How true it is I'm not sure but it does sound like it makes sense, either way since it's on the outside of the pot it's not going to affect the food so TBH I wouldn't be worried about a bit of carbon on the pot.

Correct with a minor flaw.

The way trangia are stacked inside each other leads to cross contamination if you are enclined to care about things like that.

Personally I think things like that just adds roughage to my diet :D

Advertisement