Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming Aussie Taxback

Options
  • 16-01-2012 7:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Im told if you leave the country early you can claim the majority of the tax back paid, is there any truth in this, I only got around 30 % last year but was still in the country. Or is it better to hang on until the end of tax year and put in a return then?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

mrkobain wrote: »
    Im told if you leave the country early you can claim the majority of the tax back paid, is there any truth in this, I only got around 30 % last year but was still in the country. Or is it better to hang on until the end of tax year and put in a return then?

You will probably get more back but can't say the majority (this depends on how much you earn/tax paid) because your yearly tax free allowance is divided over the 52 weeks of the year. So if you leave the country before the end of the tax year, you will have unused tax credits which you can claim when you claim back your tax. Doesn't matter if you claim now or at end of tax year, the amount will be the same. However if you claim now I think you can't work in the country until the new tax year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod Do a search on the forum - This has been answered many times, and there are threads outlined how to apply.
    Yes you can apply once you finish work, it makes no difference when you apply as tax is based on the year, so doesn't matter if you apply now or in July.
    How much tax you get back depends on how much you earnt really, there is a common myth that you get all or most of it back - all depends on circumstance

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mrkobain

ok thanks will get onto an agent and see what they come up with

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

ok thanks will get onto an agent and see what they come up with
    Make sure the agent is a fixed price and avoid backpacker %cost companies

Advertisement