Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was that a pike or an otter?

Options
  • 16-01-2012 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭

Was at Inchigeelagh yesterday fishing with half & whole mackeral. Over 1 hr I had a trace break, 2 baits taken off the hooks and numerous takes without taking the trebles. Then we spotted an otter.
    We then left the area as I dont want to catch an otter, I threw a old mackeral about 1ft into the lake. A couple of minutes later he came in for that one too.

I think all the action was the otter and he was cleverly taking the bait, anyone else had experience of this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

cool, would love to have seen that! Its never happened to me, ive only ever seoon one otter in the wild :(

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Cdub

Sounds like the otter alright, pretty inquisitive of him to stay around like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I have heard of Otters taking deadbaits. Indeed I know of one that was hooked. For half an hour you think you have the Irish record pike:D.

In areas being heavily fished or heavily visited by the public, the Otter seems to be less shy.

Was this in broad daylight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Was deadbaiting on the suck one time a spot where ive seen plenty of small furry things guessing mink as otters are very shy.

Had a small bag of smelt in some long grass and had one hooked up heard a noise about 10 mins later plastic kinda crackling this furry fecker pulling at the bag let a shout and he legged it away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

cool, would love to have seen that! Its never happened to me, ive only ever seoon one otter in the wild :(

I saw one once in all the days i spent at rivers shows their so secretive.
    Often hear there barks or squeaks at night in local tributary of the suck but never catch glimpses of them only there piles of poo or spraints and little footprints on muddy low banks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Bizzum wrote: »
    I have heard of Otters taking deadbaits. Indeed I know of one that was hooked. For half an hour you think you have the Irish record pike:D.

In areas being heavily fished or heavily visited by the public, the Otter seems to be less shy.

Was this in broad daylight?

Yep, it was. I did get a take twice and felt like a big pike, was taking line fast. Then snap!

sickpuppy wrote: »
    I saw one once in all the days i spent at rivers shows their so secretive.
    Often hear there barks or squeaks at night in local tributary of the suck but never catch glimpses of them only there piles of poo or spraints and little footprints on muddy low banks

Seen (heard more) them often a Fenit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

i got a pic of him/her, http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/250294_1702620543626_1781346613_1120140_4380826_n.jpg

that quality isnt great, but on the original (non facebook photo) when zoomed in you can see its face

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

ch750536 wrote: »
    Was at Inchigeelagh yesterday fishing with half & whole mackeral. Over 1 hr I had a trace break, 2 baits taken off the hooks and numerous takes without taking the trebles. Then we spotted an otter.
    We then left the area as I dont want to catch an otter, I threw a old mackeral about 1ft into the lake. A couple of minutes later he came in for that one too.

I think all the action was the otter and he was cleverly taking the bait, anyone else had experience of this?

Ive been lucky enough to see plenty of otters when im out fishing/wallking..Ive had them scare the swim i was fishing in but never take my bait...on the other hand I have had seals and cormorant take a good few times over the years sometimes taking the bait while other times taking 200yards line off the reel in a flash ...

Is there any charge to fish Inchigeelagh and is it worth it for a day trip from abbeyfeale?id be heading from listowel area myself;)

Send me a PM if you prefer

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

i'm amazed an otter would take a deadbait, or rather that he wouldn't be severly injured in the process! I can see the attraction but once is all it would try it!:eek:

any i've seen on my local rivers are gone like a shot if they see or hear you, although I had one fish around me for a good five miniutes in the pitch dark while i was fly fishing.

• Advertisement

davycc wrote: »
    Ive been lucky enough to see plenty of otters when im out fishing/wallking..Ive had them scare the swim i was fishing in but never take my bait...on the other hand I have had seals and cormorant take a good few times over the years sometimes taking the bait while other times taking 200yards line off the reel in a flash ...

Is there any charge to fish Inchigeelagh and is it worth it for a day trip from abbeyfeale?id be heading from listowel area myself;)

Send me a PM if you prefer

It's a lovely spot well worth a visit. Has a good stock of pike, bream, perch, hybrid. It's free to fish which means some spots can be full of rubbish.... but generally it is a good location.
    Am happy to give more detail by PM, also consider getting a boat from Greg who really is a pike expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

ch750536 wrote: »
    It's a lovely spot well worth a visit. Has a good stock of pike, bream, perch, hybrid. It's free to fish which means some spots can be full of rubbish.... but generally it is a good location.
    Am happy to give more detail by PM, also consider getting a boat from Greg who really is a pike expert.

Ah excellent I wasnt sure if it was a permit fishery like blessington andsome cork resiviors the ESB run.:)Ive never been there but Ive seen articles in magazines and online..A PM with any tips on a good area to start out bank fishing for Pike or boat fishing with deadbaits and lures would be a huge help and ill keep it to myself...:) Thanks very much:cool:

Advertisement