Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whatsapp to start charging?

• 16-01-2012 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭

Hi does anyone know if the rumours that Whatsapp will no longer be free are true

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What rumours?
    But if they do, either pay or go with something else.
    It's a great app and tbh they're mad not to charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

They're to charge android users a yearly fee soon.

But they used to get the app free all the time (and not just speciall offer types like IOS users)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

biko wrote: »
    What rumours?
    But if they do, either pay or go with something else.
    It's a great app and tbh they're mad not to charge.

It is a great app and I love it, but I have got a message from a couple of people recently saying they are going to charge people shorlty unless you are a regular user, it says in the message if you forward it to ten people you will be deemed to be a regular user and so wont be charged but I dont know if this will work. There is always viber anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

donalg1 wrote: »
    It is a great app and I love it, but I have got a message from a couple of people recently saying they are going to charge people shorlty unless you are a regular user, it says in the message if you forward it to ten people you will be deemed to be a regular user and so wont be charged but I dont know if this will work. There is always viber anyway

LOL :D

I don't have anything more constructive to say...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

This is just an updated version of the various Hotmail, MS Messenger, Yahoo mail etc. hoaxes that have been circulating for years. As a general rule any mail that asks you to forward it to x number of people has a 99% chance of being a hoax/spam.

From the horses mouth:

http://blog.whatsapp.com/index.php/2012/01/it-is-a-hoax-really-it-is/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Ah here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭gerrymadden1

Been using WhatsApp to call my son in Oz... he's also a WhatsApp user...

I call from within the App using the "Call" button.

Got my bill today & I've been charged for all the overseas calls. I thought this App gave free calls to other WhatsApp users???

And by the way, my phone is a work phone and is restricted to local & national calls so I couldn't dial overseas without using a VOIP App???

Anyone know if WhatsApp calls are free or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lackagh1970

Gerry, wasnt aware of free whatsapp calls, why dont you download viber, thats free calls

naasrd wrote: »

Ah here...

?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

?????

Ok tell us how this could possibly be true?

do you believe that whatsapp check the content of every message you send and someone is there to see if you send the thing ten times?

secondly if this was the case would you be happy to still use it?

I mean if you believe this kind of crap how can you expect people to treat you seriously on here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Gerry, wasnt aware of free whatsapp calls, why dont you download viber, thats free calls

I tried calling someone over a data connection with Viber and it was terrible. Does this work best over a wifi connection or is it a substandard free call method?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

naasrd wrote: »
    Ah here...
    ?????

What he means to say is this kind of **** goes around a lot. If a company is going to start charging, they're going to start charging no matter how many people you tell and no amount of forwarding it to any number of people will change that.

du Maurier wrote: »
    I tried calling someone over a data connection with Viber and it was terrible. Does this work best over a wifi connection or is it a substandard free call method?
    Most things work best over a wifi connection. I've used it over 3g without a problem though

Don't know what the standard is for fre calls, so can't say if its substandard

http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/articles/291530

Used his to set up PS3, didn't sign up anywhere. We'll see what happens in a week,, but for now I'm enjoying the US selection

?????

Ok tell us how this could possibly be true?

do you believe that whatsapp check the content of every message you send and someone is there to see if you send the thing ten times?

secondly if this was the case would you be happy to still use it?

I mean if you believe this kind of crap how can you expect people to treat you seriously on here?

Did I say I believe it??? I actually think I said I doubt it's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

WhatsApp is text only. It is not, never was and isn't marketed as VOIP app.

http://www.whatsapp.com/faq/#g3

And phone providers rarely have those locks in place, as they make the most money on those type of calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭gerrymadden1

ironclaw wrote: »
    WhatsApp is text only. It is not, never was and isn't marketed as VOIP app.

http://www.whatsapp.com/faq/#g3

And phone providers rarely have those locks in place, as they make the most money on those type of calls.

Thanks... the sim card is governed by my employers not by the phone providers... it also doesn't work outside of Ireland. This is a pretty standard corporate limitation...

The reason that I thought WhatsApps could be used for phone calls is because there's a "CALL" option at the top of the "Chats" screen... & somehow, it called Oz but I was charged for the calls.

If I try to ring Oz directly from the Phone screen the call will be blocked automatically. Thus my query... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Thanks... the sim card is governed by my employers not by the phone providers... it also doesn't work outside of Ireland. This is a pretty standard corporate limitation...

The reason that I thought WhatsApps could be used for phone calls is because there's a "CALL" option at the top of the "Chats" screen... & somehow, it called Oz but I was charged for the calls.

If I try to ring Oz directly from the Phone screen the call will be blocked automatically. Thus my query... :rolleyes:

I presume your on an iPhone? The only thing I can think of is the phone is programmed to block out going international calls but only when dialed from the phone itself, so when an app such as WhatsApp places the call, the phone doesn't recognize it as being international and allows the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

Got my bill today & I've been charged for all the overseas calls. I thought this App gave free calls to other WhatsApp users???

And by the way, my phone is a work phone and is restricted to local & national calls so I couldn't dial overseas without using a VOIP App???

Anyone know if WhatsApp calls are free or not?

dont think whatsapp calls are free AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

What'sApp is messaging only, it's Viber you need for VOIP calling. Those are completely free (obviously using your data allowance/WiFi). vibe can be a bit buggy and the quality can be variable, but is usually comparable to GSM if you have 3G/WiFi coverage.
    Im not sure how you placed the call, but if it has appears on your bill as a call then it somehow circumvented any restrictions on your account. The only way Waht'sApp would be able to charge would be via in-App purchase which would be to your iTunes account, no iOS App's can bill to your mobile phone bill, AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Had to do a Restore as New with my phone due to a software glitch, see thread below on Unfixable iPhone for more info, and I'm currently in the process of reloading my previously downloaded apps from the App store.

It now seems that WhatsApp had disappeared from the store completely, rendering my previous purchase of it useless. Trying to download from the WhatsApp.com site just directs to the App Store and displays a "Your request could not be completed" message!

I found some info here:

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/01/whatsapp-messenger-disappears-from-the-app-store
    UPDATE

we have learned more about why WhatsApp was removed from the App Store. In a Twitter update posted from the @WhatsApp Twitter account, the developer explains:

WhatsApp Inc. @WhatsApp

Sorry, WhatsApp is temporarily unavailable on iTunes. We submitted a new version and are awaiting approval and publication by Apple

This is due, we understand, to security risks similar to those cited by The Verge recently. As the app’s developer notes, a new version should be available soon – we’ll keep you posted.

SECOND UPDATE

I’ve just received an email from WhatsApp: apparently, the reason for the app’s removal has nothing to do with the aforementioned security issue. The company “can’t comment on the issue further,” but wishes to “avoid having incorrect information” circulating online. Take from that what you will.

:confused:

I'm not sure if it has something to do with the various hoax messages being distributed?

From WhatsApp site and blog:
    It is a hoax. Really, it is.

We have been getting a lot of emails and questions from you about this chain letter message circulating in our network:

WhatsApp is going to cost us money soon. The only way that it will stay free is if you are a frequent user i.e. you have at least 10 people you are chatting with. To become a frequent user send this message to 10 people who receive it (2 ticks) and your WhatsApp logo should turn Red to indicate a frequent user.

Please understand that this is a hoax and there is no truth to it. While we are flattered that we made it to Hoax Slayer, we would rather work on cool new features instead of debunking silly stories like these.

UPDATE: this is a hoax message as well:

“Whatsapp is shutting down on 28th jan Message from Jim Balsamic (CEO of Whatsapp) we have had an over usage of user names on whatsapp Messenger. We are requesting all users to forward this message to their entire contact list. If you do not forward this message, we will take it as your account is invalid and it will be deleted within the next 48 hours. Please DO NOT ignore this message or whatsapp will no longer recognise your activation. If you wish to re-activate your account after it has been deleted, a charge of 25.00 will be added to your monthly bill. We are also aware of the issue involving the pictures updates not showing. We are working diligently at fixing this problem and it will be up and running as soon as possible. Thank you for your cooperation from the Whatsapp team”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

supposedly its down for an update but apps arent usually removed while an update is submitted, afaik its off the app store about a week now

Yeah it's a bit strange alright. I don't see why they'd take it down for an update. The quote above suggests conflicting reasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Really,theres one born EVERY minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

Its back

Advertisement