Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you download/buy your own music?

Options
  • 16-01-2012 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Just remembered seeing a thread a while back on the death of the CD being sometime this year. I thought it would be interesting to set up a poll here.

Do you download music or purchase physical copies?

Personally I stopped buying CD's maybe a couple of months ago and started downloading albums, although I was long against it. At the end of the day I feel like I support a band more when I see them live, so I though it wouldn't hurt to start downloading.

Buy or download? 29 votes

Buy
    0% 0 votes
    Download
    24% 7 votes
    Buy occasionally, download occasionally
    37% 11 votes
    Neither, just listen to music online/radio/television
    37% 11 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I do both. While I download a lot of music I still pick up CDs at low prices from various stores and from online as well. You can find a good selection of CDs on Amazon for next to nothing. CDs and other physical formats have always been a promotional tool for the artists anyway so I don't think they're really going to lose out. The record companies and the retailers are because they get nearly all of the money. I'd rather buy a ticket for a gig or donate money directly to artists to support them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

I buy CDs and I'll keep buying them as long as they are in production and there is equipment available to play them on. I decided to commit to one format last year and picked CD over vinyl as I just prefer CDs. So I sold my LPs and my turntable and bought a seperate CD player (to go with the amp and speakers I already had) and a bunch of new CDs in their place.

I know that the consensus these days seems to be that CDs are a dying / dead medium and most people would say I'm wasting my money, but I want to stick with a physical format and for the next couple of years CDs are going to be extremely cheap and readily available. If they get scarce after that ebay will always provide a steady supply, and the less demand there is for them the better it will be for building my collection. If I was to go with vinyl now I'd get a lot less music for my money (the audiophile thing doesn't bother me), and vinyl is no more stable a medium than CD (i.e. if the demand dips for vinyl they could disappear just as easily as CDs).

Because I grew up buying cassettes and then CDs (and briefly vinyl), I'll always want a physical item when I buy music. I never got into downloading and I doubt I will at this stage, so for me CD just makes the most sense. I'm not big into new music either, so most of the music I will ever want has already been issued on CD and I can just pick it up as I go along.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Neither.

Stream and buy Vinyl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Just buy CD and occasionally vinyl. Feel quite sentimental about the physical product, I still remember the day I bought the Screamadelica, I never heard anything like it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 megtyler

buy CDs and download

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Where's the option for buy in digital format?

I now get all my music in digital format and it's probably a 70 / 30 split in favour of illegal downloads or streaming.

I buy when it's something I really like or a smaller band that I want to support. But if it's something that I'm not that pushed on I'll get it via other means.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭VenomousFish

I never download music, legally or illegally. I just like for my music to be something I can hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I download almost all of my music. A lot gets deleted. If I want a hard copy then I go out and buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lockyjpl

I don't use Itunes, so can anyone please tell me the best sites to download music legally, thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I generally use www.7digital.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

karaokeman wrote: »
    Just remembered seeing a thread a while back on the death of the CD being sometime this year. I thought it would be interesting to set up a poll here.

Do you download music or purchase physical copies?

Personally I stopped buying CD's maybe a couple of months ago and started downloading albums, although I was long against it. At the end of the day I feel like I support a band more when I see them live, so I though it wouldn't hurt to start downloading.

CDs were still outselling downloads by two to one in the UK last year.

I buy from iTunes, with the exception of Now! albums, which I purchase locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I never download music, legally or illegally. I just like for my music to be something I can hold.

I like for my music to be something I can listen to :pac:

It doesn't really bother me. I buy most stuff on CD, I like buying vinyl but I don't often get to sit down in front of the turntable and listen (too loud at night, when I do most of my listening), so stuff I get on vinyl usually ends up less-listened to. I really like the ritual of putting on a record though, so I try to get as much vinyl time as I can. Most listening is off my laptop in my room, with headphones.

I don't download 'cause I don't have a credit card. But when I do get one I'll start doing that a lot more. I get emails from a few online shops and keep cursing myself for not having one. For example...

Advertisement