Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is going on?

Options
  • 16-01-2012 11:55am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭

I just stumbled across this section of the forum when I saw the post about a bug out bag.

When I was about 18-19 I went through a phase of buying ex-army gear and reading some survival guide, I think the guys name was Lofty Wiseman or something similar to that. I taught myself to build shelters from ponchos and had a great time sleeping "rough" and preteneding to myself that I was a soldier and able to survive if the worst case scenario happened. I grew up on the isle of Tiree in the Western Isles of Scotland and its famous for having no trees at all, so I had to come up with all kinds of elaborate methods to build animal traps and shelters seeing as I didnt have access to that springy young sapling.

Now that Ive found this section, I was wondering if you guys just do this for a hobby, or if you know about something we should all know and you are not letting on!

In fact, when I watched the movie "Troll Hunter" a couple of nights ago (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1740707/), I actually thought the hunter in that had a cool life as he charged around the forests of Norway with his customised LandRover and hunting gear.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Fun and just incase anything does ever happen ill have a better chance! Fits in nicely with my lifestyle and hobbies too ie hiking, hunting, camping

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

This forum is for everyone who is concerned about the future of their selves and their family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

djrichard wrote: »
    Now that Ive found this section, I was wondering if you guys just do this for a hobby, or if you know about something we should all know and you are not letting on!

Personally I love the great outdoors and been cought short a few times plus have witnessed too much to ignore it. It started when I was sent to Mexico after the earthquake in around 1990, next major events was when I served in Bosnia and Kosovo. Have a google of surviving seiges in Bihac or living Gornji Vakuf in 93/94, it was very tough living conditions for the population.

Also my job has a large element of continuity consulting and planning so its hard not think and plan. You would be amazed of some of the plans for various fictional events I have made for major global companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

My particular interests are in self sufficiency and how to survive through civilisation disruptions like plague.

Though I think that is a very unlikely scenario indeed, along the way I am learning to be less dependant on complex food delivering mechanisms and learning or preserving skills which I may not need but some generation is going to without doubt.

the world may not end but I could end up living in a part of it that does come apart, ask the argentinians or russians or plenty others we conveniently ignore about that reality.:cool:

Also it does me good to think and plan for possible eventualities which probably will happen. Having a bag in the car which will get me home from anywhere in the country in the event of my car breaking down just at the same time the whole civilisation does, means that I have little more prep when i get a flat tyre in ordinary circumstances.:)

First aid skills, cooking skills, gardening, food preservation, living simply and cheaply, not being obsessed with owning pointless stuff, hiking, hill walking, exploring nature, gathering wild food, fishing, and a little friendly banter on the boards, all excellent reasons to have an interest in survivalism and self sufficiency.

And of course though there probably won't there could be...plague, pestilence, bioweapons, triffids, extra terrestrials, (friendly ones who give us a new planet to colonise) extra terrestrials (unfriendly ones who think we are a new planet to colonise), nuclear war, nuclear winter, sellafield going pop, nuclear terrorism, peak oil, peak water, global warming, global cooling, sudden onset ice age, end of interglacial warming period, mini ice age, sun spot, sun out gassing (that would be gas to survive:rolleyes:) super nova, bossinova,solar emp, man made emp, World war 3, world war 2 part 2 the return of the nazi's, world war 1 part 2, the return of the european war of conquest (oh no, that's the IMF isn't it), jihad, you've been-had (see IMF), religious persecution, irreligious persecution, the collapse of the euro, the collapse of the dollar, the collapse of the yen, the collapse of sterling, (oh hang on that was all on the news), standard and poor downgrading the world to an f-; the return of the great depression, potato famine redux, the call to arms to put the Stuart heir on the British throne, revolution, devolution, viral evolution, unemploment, redundancy, hurricanes, tornados, monsoons, storms both perfect and imperfect, hailstones as big as your head, lighting strikes, pre-emptive strikes, esb workers on strike, fianna fail gettting elected, the current government getting re-elected, 1984, y2K, 2012 on the mayan calendar, the age of aquarius, hippies, zombies, gombeens (a sort of irish zombie), leprechauns, pod people, freak falls of snow (thats over 50 feet in most places, over 50mm in Ireland), winning the eurovision again, economic boom (okay that one is to far fetched even to imagine), and other things but I don't want to go on and on..:D

Have a nice day. It could be the last for a long time.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Bonnie,
    That post with all the trigger words... Proably just blew a circut in the ECHLON computor somplace.:D NOW they'll be watching you!!!:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Bonnie,
    That post with all the trigger words... Proably just blew a circut in the ECHLON computor somplace.:D NOW they'll be watching you!!!:D

Bomb bomb bombity bomb bomb bomb... Jihad

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

And your dad was a Bombadier!!!You been watching Meet the Parents again???:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Now now lads lets not taunt the computer.
    djrichard wrote: »

In fact, when I watched the movie "Troll Hunter" a couple of nights ago (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1740707/), I actually thought the hunter in that had a cool life as he charged around the forests of Norway with his customised LandRover and hunting gear.
    Don't be silly, there are no trolls in Ireland.

Besides the ones in AH anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    And your dad was a Bombadier!!!You been watching Meet the Parents again???:D

"You don't say bomb at an airport" lol

Advertisement