Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greyhound Dublin City Council

Options
  • 16-01-2012 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Just got a letter today from DCC & Greyhound looking for €100 upfront to open an account and a card I've to top up (€6 black bin / €2 brown bin) in order to have them collected.

Changing the rules of the game as and when they please. Is there alternatives and any competition?

Not going to bother using my brown bin anymore. The idea of me sorting my waste into and then charging me €2 only to go on and sell it off themselves. We should be charging them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭rod flanders

I work for DCC and I was told it would be a seamless transition. Well €100 up front even is not what I was expecting. My loyalty could cost me. There is another thread discussing the alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pmooney1

Apparently there's no alternatives on the Northside.

No competition, no alternatives, no choice. No democracy.

Plus, this idea of pre paying for services yet to happen is disgraceful. What if I'm not happy with the services when it finally comes, not to mention the fact that I have to now keep tabs to make sure I received my bin lifts.

theres a land and asset grab taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I work for DCC and I was told it would be a seamless transition. Well €100 up front even is not what I was expecting. My loyalty could cost me. There is another thread discussing the alternatives.

Somebody from work told me, she only paid 60 Euro. She lives in Lucan. What is going on now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭rod flanders

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Somebody from work told me, she only paid 60 Euro. She lives in Lucan. What is going on now?

Lucan is in South Dublin CC and she is correct but in Dublin City it will be €100 annual standing charge paid within 30 days of today.

Lucan is in South Dublin CC and she is correct but in Dublin City it will be €100 annual standing charge paid within 30 days of today.

Meaning, Greyhound have the right, to charge different amounts, even for the same service?

Maybe they have the choice between different companies in South Dublin CC, and Greyhound has to make some compromises...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

SDCC used to charge €10.50 while DCC charged €6

A 40 kilo bin in Greyhound SDCC costs €12.40 to collect, while it'll cost €6 with Greyhound DCC

So while the standing charge is €40 more, the costs to bin collections is substantially less

Oh and they're a private enterprise offering you a service, so yea, they can charge different prices in different areas

Dodge wrote: »
    SDCC used to charge €10.50 while DCC charged €6

A 40 kilo bin in Greyhound SDCC costs €12.40 to collect, while it'll cost €6 with Greyhound DCC

So while the standing charge is €40 more, the costs to bin collections is substantially less

Oh and they're a private enterprise offering you a service, so yea, they can charge different prices in different areas

...and use their monopoly in Dublin CC to raise their prices whenever they want?

They don't have a monopoly in DCC area. Thornton, ozo and Panda already exist in some DCC areas.

They don't have a monopoly in DCC area. Thornton, ozo and Panda already exist in some DCC areas.

None of them collect in the D11 area.

If you live with the DCC region but outside of the city itself, you're stuck with Greyhound.

yes, but they will still try and be competitve with the other companies that serve DCC areas so they won't completely act as a monopoly in raising prices

(Although they absolutely will raise prices, of that there's no question)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

I was onto them at the weeknd myself

I live in the Ringsend area.
    Firstly we received the wrong pack in the post for our bins, we got the update for bin tags for plastic bags and not for Black/Brown bins.
    Means I have to have this sorted before Thursday for the bins to be collected this week.
    Once I contacted them they said the new pack would be sent out.

In the mean time
    Its €100 to be paid within 30 days, but does not have to be 100 lumpsum, so 25 a week for 4 weeks or whatever you like to get to €100
    I was told that it was a one off payment and not annual?
    Its €6 for a black bin and €2 for the brown bin
    Green bins are free.

Still found the fact that they want €100 in 30 days a bit much, especially in mid Jan.

Greyhound seem to be the only ones who serve the Nortside of the city, so I call it monopoly ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 hohohaha

Lars1916 wrote: »
    ...and use their monopoly in Dublin CC to raise their prices whenever they want?

Just rang a company in the golden pages and they will do it for 3 euro a black bag with no up front fees or lifting charges (seek and you shall find):

hohohaha wrote: »
    Just rang a company in the golden pages and they will do it for 3 euro a black bag with no up front fees or lifting charges (seek and you shall find):

would u mind sharing...?

Will post details shortly as I am not at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Sigourney

pmooney1 wrote: »
    would u mind sharing...?
    Would that be Abbey Waste? A friend of mine in Dublin 7 switched to them lately for bag collection. Very satisfied so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭bigroad

I saw a greyhound bin truck the other day on the m50.It was had greyhound colours but had a big panda waste sticker on the side.Are the two companies working together .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭pcworldisajoke

jst to clarify, for the three euro, is that black BAG, or black BIN?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Emma1980

chef wrote: »
    I was onto them at the weeknd myself

I live in the Ringsend area.
    Firstly we received the wrong pack in the post for our bins, we got the update for bin tags for plastic bags and not for Black/Brown bins.
    Means I have to have this sorted before Thursday for the bins to be collected this week.
    Once I contacted them they said the new pack would be sent out.

In the mean time
    Its €100 to be paid within 30 days, but does not have to be 100 lumpsum, so 25 a week for 4 weeks or whatever you like to get to €100
    I was told that it was a one off payment and not annual?
    Its €6 for a black bin and €2 for the brown bin
    Green bins are free.

Still found the fact that they want €100 in 30 days a bit much, especially in mid Jan.

Its an annual charge

Customers need to prepay Annual Charge 2012 before 15th February 2012.

I've not received anything from Greyhound as of yet and my black bin is due to be collected this week - i can't figure out if its to be picked up Wednesday as per normal or Tuesday as per Greyhound website - it does say that there would be no change to the schedule so i haven't a clue but i guess it doesn't really matter seeing as i've not received anything from them yet!! I will presume i won't be getting my bin collected this week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭zacseph

Got the same letter this morning - really annoyed me I have to say.
    I was wondering what was taking them so long to pick up the brown bin (it's always done about 7 in the morning) and when I got back I saw this.

Now, the brown bin is full and ready to go, and the new schedule is for it to be collected on wednesday, but there's no way in hell I can pull €100 out of nowhere by then - I wouldn't mind so much if i'd known about it, but the letter came through the door today/ It was dated Jan 1st, but I don't believe for a second it was sent then - it takes a max of 2/3 days for a letter to get from one part of dublin to another, not 2 weeks...

Does anyone know were these annual charges due with dublin city as well, or is it just greyhound that charge it?

• Advertisement

zacseph wrote: »
    I was wondering what was taking them so long to pick up the brown bin (it's always done about 7 in the morning) and when I got back I saw this.

Now, the brown bin is full and ready to go, and the new schedule is for it to be collected on wednesday, but there's no way in hell I can pull €100 out of nowhere by then - I wouldn't mind so much if i'd known about it, but the letter came through the door today/ It was dated Jan 1st, but I don't believe for a second it was sent then - it takes a max of 2/3 days for a letter to get from one part of dublin to another, not 2 weeks...

Does anyone know were these annual charges due with dublin city as well, or is it just greyhound that charge it?

Its just Greyhound. They have the contract for Waste now.

Yes these guys seem to be upfront no hidden agenda as it goes. wise men say only fools rush in so I`m not paying greyhound 100 euro up front to collect my bin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

/ It was dated Jan 1st, but I don't believe for a second it was sent then - it takes a max of 2/3 days for a letter to get from one part of dublin to another, not 2 weeks...

The letters only started going through the Delivery offices in the last week .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

DCC had a quarterly fee of €24. Greyhound have rounded that up to €100 and asking for it to be paid in full up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Be interesting to see if dublin city councils budget is slashed to reflect them going out of the waste management business. Or if any of the desk fillers they employed to manage it are let go rather than being redeployed to another desk

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Bambi wrote: »
    Be interesting to see if dublin city councils budget is slashed to reflect them going out of the waste management business. Or if any of the desk fillers they employed to manage it are let go rather than being redeployed to another desk

Oh I'm sure they'll probably be well utilised in a new department set up to catch perpetrators of the inevitable extra fly-tipping and illegal dumping that's going to happen.

Or something.

Bambi wrote: »

Didn't they claim they were losing money on it? So if anything it should help their budget situation. if that keeps people in jobs, all the better

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

What's going to happy to the DCC binmen ? redeployed ? sacked ?

I know these binmen years.

Presume greyhound will take them on. Not sure about their employment contracts etc

Its not like greyhound had 100+ lads waiting to start on Monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Presume greyhound will take them on. Not sure about their employment contracts etc

Its not like greyhound had 100+ lads waiting to start on Monday

Greyhound hired about 100 people last summer i think

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement