Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greyhound Dublin City Council

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ooter

I am a DCC binman and we are being "reassigned."
    They are holding meetings with us all this week and we will be told our new jobs on Friday,it looks like we are going to lose €60 a week from our wages and we are going to lose our task and finish arrangement (that we fought tooth and nail to hold on to) without any compensation.
    Absolutely disgraceful the way we are being treated but it seems they can do what they like Thanks to the good old croke park agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Dodge wrote: »
    Didn't they claim they were losing money on it? So if anything it should help their budget situation. if that keeps people in jobs, all the better

Given the way DCC run themselves they can't help but make loses on anything...you could give them a monopoly on all the booze in this city and they'd still manage not to turn a profit

Anyway its okay if the customers being rode up the jacksie so long as employees of DCC keep their bums on seats? Nah, not really. Problem with this country is that we get the worst of both worlds..all the problems of public sector admin and privatised monopolies but none of the benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

ooter wrote: »
    They are holding meetings with us all this week and we will be told our new jobs on Friday,it looks like we are going to lose €60 a week from our wages and we are going to lose our task and finish arrangement (that we fought tooth and nail to hold on to) without any compensation.
    Absolutely disgraceful the way we are being treated but it seems they can do what they like Thanks to the good old croke park agreement.

reassigned within DCC I assume?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Greyhound didn't collect my bins yesterday. We only got the letter last Friday which said there was 30 days to pay it.

I have been trying to contact the numbers all day but there is no answer.

Don't need this hassle:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

ooter wrote: »

Is task and finish a "finish ASAP so we can do our nixers" arrangement? I'd some sympathy for binmen given the wages and that but this now means that DCCs customers are now paying for two sets of binmen. Worst of both worlds

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    Is task and finish a "finish ASAP so we can do our nixers" arrangement? I'd some sympathy for binmen given the wages and that but this now means that DCCs customers are now paying for two sets of binmen. Worst of both worlds

Well I reckon it will be more one set of binmen and one set of council clean up crews clearing up fly tipping.

I also cant see how the private operator would be more expensive considering his wage bill would be lower than the councils wage bill and they wont have to absorb waivers beyond this year, unless of course it was a private monopoly and they charged what ever they liked. DCC were losing customers southside to private operators because of pricing already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ooter

No bambi,its an incentive to do your work on a particular day as quickly as possible and once you have it done you can go home.you start at 6am,take no breaks and finish around 12 if you're lucky.
    Now we will be asked to work a full day (granted,with breaks) which will mean working longer hours for €60 a week less,go figure.
    I could do with a few "nixers" to make up that shortfall,do you know of any going?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Finally got through to them.
    The customer service seems pretty good but there are long waiting times to talk to anyone. Apparently the change over 'didn't go as smoothly as they thought it would'.

Also to register isn't exactly intuitive

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Psychobabble

Our black bins were collect weekly by DCC; Greyhound will only collect them on alternate weeks from Green bins, which is a total pain, as we used put them both out every two weeks; which is awkward, as we live in a terrace and bring them out the back gateway along the lane ... bit of a rigmarole. We're even being charged a higher service charge, for a poorer service :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭zacseph

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Finally got through to them.
    The customer service seems pretty good but there are long waiting times to talk to anyone. Apparently the change over 'didn't go as smoothly as they thought it would'.

Also to register isn't exactly intuitive

Did they say if they'd pick it up or not in the meantime?
    Based on the letter I read, you have 30 days to pay the annual charge, but they won't be collecting anything until you do.
    And if it works the way I think, you'd need enough balance on the account for the bins to be picked up (for me, €8) and I checked the site last night and I have a balance of -€100.
    Seems like until I pay at least €108, my bins won't be lifted... which probably won't be for about a month, to be perfectly honest.
    I don't see why they can't use the same scheme as DCC - send an invoice every so often throughout the year - would be essentially the same price and surely the system is already in place they could just take over from DCC...

• Advertisement

The reason they wont use dub citys payment method is because it's easy for people to fall into arrears. pre pay means no bad debts. Of course introducing pre-pay with no notice in the middle of January and messing up collections means they'll be dumped if/when any competition enters the market.

I'd still love to know the particular conditions of the transfer and if greyhound have sole rights to north Dub. I know if a big new market opened up like that for my company we'd be all over it like flies on shite. Refuse collection companies seem unwilling or unable to enter north dub though.

zacseph wrote: »
    Did they say if they'd pick it up or not in the meantime?

She said she would organise someone to take the green bin but only as a once off. There is a commitment to call me by tomorrow with the pickup details. Seems that they have been swamped with people whose bins weren't collected.
    Based on the letter I read, you have 30 days to pay the annual charge, but they won't be collecting anything until you do.
    And if it works the way I think, you'd need enough balance on the account for the bins to be picked up (for me, €8) and I checked the site last night and I have a balance of -€100.
    Seems like until I pay at least €108, my bins won't be lifted... which probably won't be for about a month, to be perfectly honest.
    That is correct. you need to pay the €100 up front but they won't collect your bins until you have more than €112 (I think) as €12 seemed to be the minimum balance allowable judging by the letter I got.
    I don't see why they can't use the same scheme as DCC - send an invoice every so often throughout the year - would be essentially the same price and surely the system is already in place they could just take over from DCC...

Cashflow reasons and arrears as another poster mentioned.

Wonder what happens if I don't pay the outstanding charges with Dublin City Council?;)

Wonder what happens if I don't pay the outstanding charges with Dublin City Council?;)
    I'd say as soon as those bills are processed you'll find your next grey hound top up will be your dub city arrears + 12 euro and if you put 12 euro in it will just come off the dub city account.

Lets face it, dub city wont get paid any other way. I certainly wont be paying my last quarter bill with them unless greyhound dock it from their account before lifting another bin.

I'd say as soon as those bills are processed you'll find your next grey hound top up will be your dub city arrears + 12 euro and if you put 12 euro in it will just come off the dub city account.

Lets face it, dub city wont get paid any other way. I certainly wont be paying my last quarter bill with them unless greyhound dock it from their account before lifting another bin.

Only one way to find out!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 hohohaha

jst to clarify, for the three euro, is that black BAG, or black BIN?

Its for a bag but there is no sign up fee and they give weekly collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭RedRaven

Just to be clear are they asking that you pay 100 euro annual service charge and then 6 euros per lift there after? Or is it you pay 100 euros and 6 euros is deducted from that initial 100 euro in the account.

Its not very clear.

The old fee from DCC was roughly 150 odd per year.

These guys are potentially charging 265 euros per year for the same service Hope somebody tells me Im wrong on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Emma1980

no ur wrong, your account will start and minus 100euro and your first collection will be when ur account reaches plus 12euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Dublin City Councillors have demanded a special meeting of the council and publication of the terms of the contract with Greyhound Waste after privatisation of the bin collection service.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0118/dublin.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Dublin City Councillors have demanded a special meeting of the council and publication of the terms of the contract with Greyhound Waste after privatisation of the bin collection service.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0118/dublin.html

Seemingly the DCC managers are refusing to divulge any of the financial arrangements to the Councillors.

Why do we have Coucillors when the unelected managers make all the decisions?

I'd be very interested to see those terms and how greyhound managed to get at least 1 year free of competition by railroading everyone in north dublin into going with them. Also gives them free reign to charge what they like in the absence of competition after 6 months. There needs to be transparency and the full terms published.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

So I have to pay 112 upfront and stay 12 euro in credit to ensure collection
    Black bin 6 euro
    Brown 2 euro
    This leaves 4 euro x 140000 customers which is 560000 euro they have on a continous basis what for ?

practice wrote: »
    So I have to pay 112 upfront and stay 12 euro in credit to ensure collection
    Black bin 6 euro
    Brown 2 euro
    This leaves 4 euro x 140000 customers which is 560000 euro they have on a continous basis what for ?

It is not clear from the letter but it does say €12 is the minimum balance for automatic top up. However i am sure you can run your account down to zero. Not sure why you are multiplying 4 by 140k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

I'd be very interested to see those terms and how greyhound managed to get at least 1 year free of competition by railroading everyone in north dublin into going with them. Also gives them free reign to charge what they like in the absence of competition after 6 months. There needs to be transparency and the full terms published.
    I doubt they will hike rates if they want to remain in business after first year. I agree with lack of trasparency though.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

It is not clear from the letter but it does say €12 is the minimum balance for automatic top up. However i am sure you can run your account down to zero. Not sure why you are multiplying 4 by 140k

140000 customers pay 12 euro (8 euro for collecting 2 bins) so 4 left and account must be 12 in credit all the time.

Seems to me they intend to up the charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

practice wrote: »
    140000 customers pay 12 euro (8 euro for collecting 2 bins) so 4 left and account must be 12 in credit all the time.

Seems to me they intend to up the charges.

They have already said they intend to up the 100 euro charge. I still have received no information from greyhound or indeeed dcc! I dont have 100 euro to hand over!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Dovies wrote: »
    They have already said they intend to up the 100 euro charge.
    Where have they said this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

That relates to the the charge per collection, rather than the annual charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

I just rang greyhound. We have to pay 100 euro service charge PLUS we must have extra credit in the account to pay for each lift. I had thought the 100 would be credit which would reduce fortnightly by 6 for a black bin lift. So I don't know what we are paying the 100 for?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I just rang greyhound. We have to pay 100 euro service charge PLUS we must have extra credit in the account to pay for each lift. I had thought the 100 would be credit which would reduce fortnightly by 6 for a black bin lift. So I don't know what we are paying the 100 for?

its the annual charge. DCC used to charge it quarterly on Invoice but Greyhound want it up front

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement